Home

COYOTE set above ground?

Posted By: bigfoottrapper

COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 12:14 PM

is there a predator set where you can just put the trap on top of the ground?

thanks!
Posted By: forestman3

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 12:20 PM

The hay set.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 01:08 PM

Thats it, I believe
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 01:26 PM

Buried set
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 01:32 PM

exposed pan set?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 02:08 PM

Dig a hole!
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 03:44 PM

Nest predator set. That said I knew a kid one time that set a 1-1/2 trap on top of the ground wired to a tree with a piece of deer meat in the pan and caught a grey fox. Could he do it again? I don't know
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 03:55 PM

Coyote set above ground.. Called a Snare or Cable Restraint.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 03:57 PM

The trap still needs to be BEDDED.
Posted By: Bob

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 04:12 PM

Exposed sets work well for bobcat and sometimes fox. Once in a while you get a coyote in one but it’s rare. With snow on the ground you can set on top of the ground and cover with snow, but you’re definitely not going to have much luck without some type of covering. I have never used a gay set so I can’t speak to that

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

I have never bedded a trap when making haysets and caught plenty of red fox that way.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3

I have never bedded a trap when making haysets and caught plenty of red fox that way.

Question refers to coyotes. How many coyotes have you caught that way??

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 05:14 PM

The question Is how many did you Miss using that method.
Posted By: Osky

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 05:53 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if someone did. With all the feathers, cd’s, and other attractors guys trapping cats hang above traps one would think a few coyotes would have been distracted enough to do it.
Wether it could be don3 on purpose short of a hay set type of thing I’m not sure.

Osky

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 08:40 PM

I have caged 3 in all my years give that a shot.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I will pass,a rifle is much easier wink grin
Posted By: Kre

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 08:45 PM

There's way too much money involved. And, it probably doesn't mean much to any of them.

I'm so glad to live where I do and have endless public land: Federal, State, and county. Granted a lot of it sucks for deer, but it's open to anyone...for free!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

All young ones?

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 08:51 PM

Not true pups caught a couple in bucket sets also.

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 08:57 PM

The question Is how many did you Miss using that method.

I only ever used hay sets once it snowed and used two traps at a set.Tracks don`t lie,I missed some but not many. He asked about predators not coyote so my mistake.
Posted By: red mt

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 10:02 PM

I catch coyotes in snow using a hay or( straw) set I build a bed in the straw set my trap cover with straw letter snow letter snow. Lol

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 10:09 PM

I caught a coyote In 160 trail set.
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 10:57 PM

I've caught coyotes in hay sets. When I use a drag I wrap the chain around and around the set trap to stabilize it before I cover with hay. I also welded 2 spikes on several of my mb traps so I can just stick them in the ground to stabilize them. If you made an enlarged pan cover that's camouflage I would think anything would step on it. I've seen pictures of this type of pan cover on here.
Posted By: red mt

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 11:21 PM

It works when you take advantage of they got pee on something impulse this time of year.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 11:40 PM

Do you mean just set the trap on the deck? Or do you mean bedding it exposed? I don’t see how just lying it down would work, but some of y’all are more experienced than I am. Seems like that wobble just wouldn’t work.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/21/21 11:56 PM

I have caught a fair number of coyotes by timing a snowfall and setting heavily the afternoon before. It seemed to work best when it was faily cold before the snow began so it would be a relatively "dry" snow. I would simply throw out a chunk of firewood, smear a little lure on the end, and set a trap a few inches out from the end of the wood. There was an article in one of the trapping magazines describing this technique. I am not sure, but, our very own Hal may have authored it. In brushy areas, I used two pronged drags and that really sped up the process.

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/22/21 12:09 AM

Well no mater what type of foot hold set I make that trap Is going to bedded s It's stable. And I'm betting I will have less sprung and empty traps.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: COYOTE set above ground? - 01/22/21 12:16 AM

I typically dig my trap beds in on each end of a bale but after the first catch it’s more of a chaff set and the trap can be bedded in a low spot in the hay. [Linked Image]
Most people think it’s a lot of work to put in a bale set but I trap out of my truck so it’s not a big deal . I like the fact that you can do something different after every catch .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums