Home

Poacher busted

Posted By: BernieB.

Poacher busted - 01/21/21 04:34 PM

Seems like everyone likes it when the bad guy gets caught. What are your thoughts on this?

Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 04:54 PM

Simple.Don't hunt such places.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:11 PM

First if you have to hunt over bait you need a lesson on hunting.JMO Second if I paid to hunt their and then was told not to kill the big one,I would be like what`s the point.I liked the whole deer hunting thing more when I was a kid and we had a blast killing 100 inch deer and everybody hunted on everybodys ground.Hardly evan remember seeing posted signs then.It sure has went down hill I think.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:13 PM

I'm not going to pay money and then be told you can't shoot certain deer..Not in my best interest to hunt such places.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:14 PM

So skip skipped out there

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

With a macho skipper

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

With a macho skipper

grin
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:28 PM

Shooting deer in a driveway baited with corn out a a cabin on stilts isn't hunting to me. To each their own. I'm also not a rack hunter and believe that a this nonsense about deer inches and bucks needing to be of a certain age is ruining the sport. It's lead to massive posting and leasing of land by rich hunters and hunting groups to where it's a pay to play sport. The leases around me pay so much for the "right" to hunt that my friends and farmer buddies say sorry to me. These people will always come up with more money. They don't want you trapping but complain about predators. I find myself ranting now. Sorry
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:29 PM

I'm not going to pay money and then be told you can't shoot certain deer..Not in my best interest to hunt such places.

X2 on that.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:35 PM

Everyone says

To each their own....but dosent mean it
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:40 PM

Was this just a code that was established or actually something in writing posted that protected the buck? If not, how could he be referred to as a poacher? Some of the other things he did were a violation of the laws in the state of Texas such as crossing state lines, not checking the deer in where he supposed to, etc. Had he done that maybe the punishment might not have been so severe. The fact that he didn't tells me that he knew he was guilty and the shooting probably wasn't accidental. He knew this was a protected buck before or after he shot it?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Shooting deer in a driveway baited with corn out a a cabin on stilts isn't hunting to me. To each their own. I'm also not a rack hunter and believe that a this nonsense about deer inches and bucks needing to be of a certain age is ruining the sport. It's lead to massive posting and leasing of land by rich hunters and hunting groups to where it's a pay to play sport. The leases around me pay so much for the "right" to hunt that my friends and farmer buddies say sorry to me. These people will always come up with more money. They don't want you trapping but complain about predators. I find myself ranting now. Sorry

I thought the sport was scored by the size of the antlers? How do you score the sport?

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:48 PM

I'm hunting and see a buck show up like that I'm a CHOOTIN.....End of story grin
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:49 PM

Sounds like if he had a land tag put on he would have been legal.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by grapestomper

He should have.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Was this just a code that was established or actually something in writing posted that protected the buck? If not, how could he be referred to as a poacher? Some of the other things he did were a violation of the laws in the state of Texas such as crossing state lines, not checking the deer in where he supposed to, etc. Had he done that maybe the punishment might not have been so severe. The fact that he didn't tells me that he knew he was guilty and the shooting probably wasn't accidental. He knew this was a protected buck before or after he shot it?

If he had shot the buck and legally tagged it, he would have been kicked off the lease and would not get his $12,000 refunded. That's it... nothing illegal. He knowingly killed a buck that was off limits and rather than risk the humiliation, he illegally removed the antlers from the ranch (threw the meat in the brush) and took it across state lines.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:53 PM

Yes he would have, but he would have been kicked off the ranch and forfeited the $12,000 he paid for the lease.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:53 PM

Its a deer, with horns no less. Some one spent ALOT of money to get ole Skip in hot water. The thing here is that he violated the trust of fellow hunters, thats unforgivable. The fact it was a big deer makes the story. But to each his own.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Yes he would have, but he would have been kicked off the ranch and forfeited the $12,000 he paid for the lease.

So what.He could have legally have the buck.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 06:07 PM

I hunt / trap as a means not a sport.
Lots of true statements above, and the destruction of opportunities for the youth .
In the end when it comes to a vote ( I truly believe we will see that ).
You can bet the people alienated or have not had opportunities could care less about your dilemma.
Sport hunting will be a huge part of the causes and loss of hunting for all.

The perpetrator deserves the results of his lust.

I don't believe I could be part of the club, just doesn't set well on my mind.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 06:21 PM

Too bad greed turned Skip into poaching the off limit buck,I dont know the laws of Texas,but a few days ago you were talking about javalina pig hunting and tossing them in the brush.I've ate javalina in AZ it was ok table fare,does Texas not have a wanton waste law?

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by rick olson
Too bad greed turned Skip into poaching the off limit buck,I dont know the laws of Texas,but a few days ago you were talking about javalina pig hunting and tossing them in the brush.I've ate javalina in AZ it was ok table fare,does Texas not have a wanton waste law?

Not on Javelina or coyotes.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 06:46 PM

Texas style hunting has come to Colorado. Super wealthy buying up tens of thousands of acres and creating a family hunting compound and keeping the locals off. Putting out food plots, enhanced feeders, and manipulating the gene pool. Never cared for this type of hunting, Au natural is more my to my liking. Hunting in this state is mostly all about $$$$ now.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 06:48 PM

Not good at all.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 06:49 PM

Again...TETO
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

If he had shot the buck and legally tagged it, he would have been kicked off the lease and would not get his $12,000 refunded. That's it... nothing illegal. He knowingly killed a buck that was off limits and rather than risk the humiliation, he illegally removed the antlers from the ranch (threw the meat in the brush) and took it across state lines.

Then, he got everything coming to him in the way of fines, etc. Sounds like he planned this since he waited to be the only one on the property. Wanton waste should have been an issue as well.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:14 PM

I missed the part about the $12,000.00 I figured he would have been kicked out.
His buddies would have given him a beat down I am guessing also.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:17 PM

Crazy he didn't just tag the deer been legal and just be done with the place.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:25 PM

He was disrespectful and dishonest in killing the buck, but he didn’t cross the line into poaching until he left the carcass and transported the antlers. Morally he’s in the wrong no matter which way you slice it, legally if he’d have tagged it he woulda been fine. I wouldn’t want him in my hunting group either way.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:27 PM

Fair enough I wouldn't be in such a hunting group to begin with.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:29 PM

He is a jerk.Shooting a deer that many others would have loved to shoot,but passed up because they had an agreement.A man is only as good as his word.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

He is a jerk.Shooting a deer that many others would have loved to shoot,but passed up because they had an agreement.A man is only as good as his word.

I would never hunt such a place with those rules myself to begin with.I am not going to pay $12,000 anywhere and be told I can't shoot what I want.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Its a deer, with horns no less. Some one spent ALOT of money to get ole Skip in hot water. The thing here is that he violated the trust of fellow hunters, thats unforgivable.

I'd say a blot on his soul but not unforgiveable. We all have blots.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:38 PM

I stopped deer hunting when the rifle hunter complained about the youth season, the bow hunter complained about the squirrel and rabbit hunters, then the black powder guys complained about the long seasons the bow hunter have. I was always a meat hunter. Still see a lot of deer laying along the hi-ways. In 2018 there were 53,454 accident involving deer.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
I stopped deer hunting when the rifle hunter complained about the youth season, the bow hunter complained about the squirrel and rabbit hunters, then the black powder guys complained about the long seasons the bow hunter have. I was always a meat hunter. Still see a lot of deer laying along the hi-ways. In 2018 there were 53,454 accident involving deer.

Why stop hunting?The heck with them.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
I was always a meat hunter.

I've never laid in bed dreaming about venison, it's the antlers that keep me awake at night. You're right about the conflict of interests we squabble about. I'm also a bowhunter, been doing it since the mid eighties but it's hard to convince some fellow bow guys deer hunting with a rifle where I'm at is more challenging than bowhunting deer where they're at. It's all perspective.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:47 PM

Yep much harder up here in northern Maine with a rifle then bow hunting Conn.,Pa,Virginia, etc.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Its a deer, with horns no less. Some one spent ALOT of money to get ole Skip in hot water. The thing here is that he violated the trust of fellow hunters, thats unforgivable.

I'd say a blot on his soul but not unforgiveable. We all have blots.

True
Posted By: Rhino1

Re: Poacher busted - 01/21/21 09:37 PM

If old Skip wasn't going back to the lease anyway after shooting that deer, he may as well have tagged it and owned up from the start.
The whole story is ridiculous.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 12:15 AM

I’ll be honest, I love the fact we have landowners that want to let deer reach maturity. These same landowners pay trappers to make sure they pass their genes on.
As far as deer go, we too have deer “off limits”. Some deer you just want to see grow and what they become. Any buck 5.5 or older is fair game. If you want meat, go ahead and shoot your 10 does. We took 80 off one property and 30 off another. Not every deer will have a trophy rack, but we give them the opportunity to try. Regardless of antler size, a 5.5yr old deer is a TRUE trophy in anyone’s book.
If you can afford a $12K lease, then you should be able to abide by the rules. I saw a buck my son nicknamed “Lil Debbie” that has close to 70” on one side and a crazy nontypical rack on the other side. This deer is only 4.5 and will be legal next year, but dang he was tempting this year.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Texas style hunting has come to Colorado. Super wealthy buying up tens of thousands of acres and creating a family hunting compound and keeping the locals off. Putting out food plots, enhanced feeders, and manipulating the gene pool. Never cared for this type of hunting, Au natural is more my to my liking. Hunting in this state is mostly all about $$$$ now.

If this doesnt convince folks that purchasing your own property should be a priority, I dont know what will. Our kids will see the day that only the wealthy will be able to hunt UNLESS you already have your own spread...sad, but true I beleive.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by midlander

If this doesnt convince folks that purchasing your own property should be a priority, I dont know what will. Our kids will see the day that only the wealthy will be able to hunt UNLESS you already have your own spread...sad, but true I beleive.

And don't let states and feds sell off our public lands. Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 12:37 AM

Been this way in the South for decades. Nobody here hunts on someone else's land for free. Leasing hunting rights is what I grew up with. I'm 56 now.

The "locals" have not hunted private property free here either. So, they arent being kicked off when a property sells as they were never allowed there to begin with.

You westerners are spoiled by all the public land you have available out there that enables yall to keep it "au natural."
Posted By: snowy

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3
First if you have to hunt over bait you need a lesson on hunting.JMO Second if I paid to hunt their and then was told not to kill the big one,I would be like what`s the point.I liked the whole deer hunting thing more when I was a kid and we had a blast killing 100 inch deer and everybody hunted on everybodys ground.Hardly evan remember seeing posted signs then.It sure has went down hill I think.

Yeap!!
Or a deer that has his head buried in a pumpkin or rutabaga patch over a bait plot. Lol

Interesting and glad the skipper got hung.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 01:38 AM

Agreed AL
It has came to Montana as well ,,, I had a rancher pose the question of pay to trap in eastern Montana I just laughed said good luck buddy
Red
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 01:39 AM

After your first sentence, nothing else you typed really mattered. As slamming other hunters method of hunting is the biggest reason hunting has went downhill. JMO
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 01:42 AM

The craze for large antlers and stroked ego's has done more damage to hunting traditions than anything else. Michigan is a great example.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 02:10 AM

Hunters against hunters will be the end to hunting.

Different styles in every region, and each hunter hunts for his own reason. I wouldn’t want a dishonest “Skip” in my hunting group. But the horn hunters and meat hunters have to find a balance or understanding. I don’t know the answer here - but this argument is really getting attention.

John

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 02:23 AM

Ego is a enemy of any man or women,,, whatever reason to hunt or trap conversation should in the forefront of your thinking . Killing or harvesting is just a small part and least part of it . Imo
But in this results driven society it's getting more and more attention to bad. Imo.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 02:41 AM

Ive never known a "meat hunter" that would shoot a doe that was standing next to a young buck. Cant eat them antlers, eh....bye, bye little buck.

To each his own.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 02:52 AM

I’m so glad I have access to tens of millions of acres of blm within an hour drive of my house
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 02:59 AM

Or the guy that's shoots a deer and doesn't follow up on the shot (wanton waste) wink

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Ive never known a "meat hunter" that would shoot a doe that was standing next to a young buck. Cant eat them antlers, eh....bye, bye little buck.

To each his own.

Spike buck every time,,,, a doe makes more deer.
Like killing a spike bull eats way better than a cow unless a yearling.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 03:57 AM

Not my cup of tea but if these wealthy land owners are willing to spend millions to provide fencing, feed, stands etc. for those that are willing to pay those kind of funds to shoot semi captive whitetails, it is an opportunity that some can use. When I was a kid we had deer come to the salt block for the cows in our barnyard and often thought what it would be like to sit in the silo room and dust them off. None were of the scale and quality that were on those photos but to me the methodology is similar. The MLB considered asterisks by the names of those who they could prove were using PEDs. Do the trophy hunters need to have a system where by farmed andfenced wildlife is recorded.

Bryce
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 03:59 AM

If he had a problem with the pact, he should have said you can not shoot him if you want but I’m killing it if I see it. Then everything would have been cool.
But supposedly he gave his word, so that was his first problem and it seems it was all down hill from there.

That part of Texas is a different world. They hunt like they do for a reason.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 04:37 AM

The still picture of the buck is not not all that impressive to me. It has a lot of points, but it lacks spread and the mass isn't there either.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 04:47 AM

... let the record show that 52 Carl likes his wide and massive lol

... as far as this south tx nonsense goes... I always hoped it wouldn’t make it east but it has

.. and to those talking “division “ ... I’d rather raise beef if I’m going to raise anything... hunting isn’t animal husbandry

Re: Poacher busted - 01/22/21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Not my cup of tea but if these wealthy land owners are willing to spend millions to provide fencing, feed, stands etc. for those that are willing to pay those kind of funds to shoot semi captive whitetails, it is an opportunity that some can use. When I was a kid we had deer come to the salt block for the cows in our barnyard and often thought what it would be like to sit in the silo room and dust them off. None were of the scale and quality that were on those photos but to me the methodology is similar. The MLB considered asterisks by the names of those who they could prove were using PEDs. Do the trophy hunters need to have a system where by farmed andfenced wildlife is recorded.

Bryce

They already do.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
The still picture of the buck is not not all that impressive to me. It has a lot of points, but it lacks spread and the mass isn't there either.

It scored 208 so there's that. The point is that the buck would have been world class in two years, when it would have reached its full potential. And by the way mass accounts or an average of 12% of the score and spread almost nothing. If you have a buck that scores 200 with a 18 inch spread, take that buck and give it a 20 inch spread and now it scores 202.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 11:22 AM

I guess the silver lining is: he had to be a main breeder buck in that hierarchy and hopefully passed those genes down to the herd.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 11:58 AM

Everyone says

To each their own....but dosent mean it

Very insightful. And almost always - always - true.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 12:20 PM

As to the OP's question. My thoughts are I'm glad he got busted. He didnt register his deer. Why cause his friends would be mad. He didn't make a mistake, he didn't misunderstand, he knew he was breaking the law, throw the book at him.

As to the hunting over bait or for big antlers, yeah that's ok with me. I have friends who hunt only mature white tails and I have friends who hunt if its brown its down and I am in between. I like to shoot a big doe but will take any size legal buck. We ask people who hunt with us not to shoot fawns cause 1/2 are bucks and need 3 inches of antler to fill a buck tag but sometimes someone doesn't listen or care and shoots a fawn that's fine but we only allow two deer for each person. If you shoot three deer you will donate it to someone in the group who didn't get one or two. Had a few (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off guys over the years shoot the first two deer they saw, twin fawns, and get mad about the amount of meat lol. Like you shot it dont complain. Had one start cussing everyone out, grabbed his stuff threatened everyone again and took off. Not invited back lol.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 12:36 PM

This is a story showcasing antler envy suffered by all involved at it's finest. Or at it's worst depending on you point of view.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 12:45 PM

To each his own.

Then I guess you don't know too many. I, and most other meat hunters, would take the bigger deer whether or not it had antlers. In most cases that's going to be the buck.

I shoot the first legal deer to come along unless its a ridiculously small fawn. Then I shoot the second legal deer to present a shot and usually the third. Sometimes I get lucky and get a fourth in a season.

If a giant-racked buck came along I'd shoot him too. But I don't lay awake at night thinking about him. I don't even pass on smaller deer waiting for him.

My freezer is full of deer meat as a result of those policies.

It will soon be full of venison-apple sausage and venison scrapple as well.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 01:56 PM

It scored 208 so there's that. The point is that the buck would have been world class in two years

208 inches is world class.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 02:16 PM

It scored 208 so there's that. The point is that the buck would have been world class in two years

I guess that is subjective. To me world class is something like the top 50 of all time. Certainly a 208 would be world class in Maine. In the Midwest there are dozens of 200+ inch bucks shot ever year.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 02:34 PM

I guess that is subjective. To me world class is something like the top 50 of all time. Certainly a 208 would be world class in Maine. In the Midwest there are dozens of 200+ inch bucks shot ever year.

And those are world class deer. Probably should take a look at the B&C books, that will give you an idea of what's out there. I don't know if Milo Hanson's buck is still #1 but it didn't net much beyond what you're talking at the 208 inch mark.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 03:15 PM

And those are world class deer. Probably should take a look at the B&C books, that will give you an idea of what's out there. I don't know if Milo Hanson's buck is still #1 but it didn't net much beyond what you're talking at the 208 inch mark.
[/quote]

I am very familiar with the B&C books believe me. Milo's buck is the reigning typical. This is a nontypical.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 06:09 PM

I love hunting big deer. I’ve killed some great deer.
I am unafraid to pass up deer in hopes they get to be big deer.
I wish my oldest son would quit doing that and kill a dang deer.
I also love deer meat so in the end, I kill a deer each year.
If I had to pay money to get access to hunt big deer I’d find another hobby.
$12000 to hunt deer makes me laugh.
This whole scenario is just bizarre.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 06:16 PM

To each his own.

Almost always take the big doe, could care less about that rack
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

After your first sentence, nothing else you typed really mattered. As slamming other hunters method of hunting is the biggest reason hunting has went downhill. JMO

First off I'm not slamming anyone, but I would not call setting in a shack watching a bait pile hunting. It seems like shooting to me. Kind of reminds me of the time I exchanged words here with some guys the rode around in argos and shot game from them. To me that is not hunting. In 1971 I learned a lot about hunting. After lots of years walking around in the woods and shooting deer (hunting). I went to CO for a deer hunt. IMO, for the past fifty years if you have the money to spend you can kill whatever you want. BTW, i guide bear shooters in Maine, they pay their money and set it a tree and shoot a bear when it comes to the bait. Shooting not hunting in my book.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
[

First off I'm not slamming anyone, but I would not call setting in a shack watching a bait pile hunting. It seems like shooting to me. Kind of reminds me of the time I exchanged words here with some guys the rode around in argos and shot game from them. To me that is not hunting. In 1971 I learned a lot about hunting. After lots of years walking around in the woods and shooting deer (hunting). I went to CO for a deer hunt. IMO, for the past fifty years if you have the money to spend you can kill whatever you want. BTW, i guide bear shooters in Maine, they pay their money and set it a tree and shoot a bear when it comes to the bait. Shooting not hunting in my book.
[/quote]

Well you don't get to decide for anyone but yourself. Hunters and trappers need to stand together. Different species, different habitats, all call for different styles of hunting. If you don't like it you don't have to do it, but don't disrespect other hunters because they don't do it the way you like to.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/23/21 07:40 PM

You guys have to understand that, as Pennsylvanians, ebsurveyor and I have never been allowed to bait anything. We have been required by law to actually go out and hunt critters in their natural environment as opposed to sitting by a bait pile and shooting them when they get hungry.

Having hunted that way all our lives tends to make us look down on that other method.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Poacher busted - 01/24/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

So looking at this type of hunting the way I do is the downfall of hunting?Are you serious.Take a kid and put him in a stand over bait and let him kill a deer.After he kills it(lets say I run into him at the gas station with a nice buck on the back of his truck) so I say great buck,where you hunting around some rubs?And the kid says ,Whats a rub?So I say ,where you hunting over some scraps? And the kid says whats a scrap?So I say did you rattle him in? Kid says how do you rattle?So I say did you hunt over a good food source? Kid says I sure did ,you should of seen all the deer that came to that big corn pile my dad put out.You keep blaming people like me if it makes you feel better.
Posted By: gman

Re: Poacher busted - 01/24/21 01:59 AM

but I would not call setting in a shack watching a bait pile hunting. It seems like shooting to me.Shooting not hunting in my book.

My exact sentiments.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Poacher busted - 01/24/21 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
... let the record show that 52 Carl likes his wide and massive lol

... as far as this south tx nonsense goes... I always hoped it wouldn’t make it east but it has

.. and to those talking “division “ ... I’d rather raise beef if I’m going to raise anything... hunting isn’t animal husbandry

Good eye! smile
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Poacher busted - 01/24/21 02:56 AM

In my opinion there is not much sporting about paying big money to kill a big buck that knows what time the corn feeder kicks on for him to have an easy meal. A lot of “guided “ hunts are like this. Sit till the feeder kicks on, a bunch of deer pour out and the “guide” says pick which one you want. Real sport hunting is walking the woods looking for rubs, scrapes, trails, etc. Trying your best to minimize your scent, being in the woods during prime rut activity, etc. I will literally go the entire season looking for a buck with a nice rack to shoot. Ill wait till the last couple of weeks of the season then I go for meat. Does only, I let any buck I dont wish to mount walk. Then again I hunt private property so I have that luxury unlike many hunting club and public land hunters.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by T-REV
In my opinion there is not much sporting about paying big money to kill a big buck that knows what time the corn feeder kicks on for him to have an easy meal. A lot of “guided “ hunts are like this. Sit till the feeder kicks on, a bunch of deer pour out and the “guide” says pick which one you want. Real sport hunting is walking the woods looking for rubs, scrapes, trails, etc. Trying your best to minimize your scent, being in the woods during prime rut activity, etc. I will literally go the entire season looking for a buck with a nice rack to shoot. Ill wait till the last couple of weeks of the season then I go for meat. Does only, I let any buck I dont wish to mount walk. Then again I hunt private property so I have that luxury unlike many hunting club and public land hunters.

Deer are not stupid, it doesn't work like that. Plus, as you can see by the terrain, there is no such thing as walking in the woods in the Texas brush country. Successful deer hunting techniques are an adaptation to the environment.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 02:15 PM

I sometimes feel sorry for folks that think hunting deer is sitting in a stand or stalking and shooting the first deer they see. Most kids down here outgrow that stage when they hit their teens.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 02:25 PM

I will give you something to chew on , Most and I repeat most trophy bucks have something illegal attached to their taking ,You say what you want but its a fact!

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
I will give you something to chew on , Most and I repeat most trophy bucks have something illegal attached to their taking ,You say what you want but its a fact!

Not even close.Most jealous people say this.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 03:00 PM

Chew on this. Most trophy bucks die of old age. grin

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 03:09 PM

I despise hunting so much, I get paid to do it. Only way I'll do it. I can't wait to get done, so I can sleep in a warm dry house without bugs again.

Interestingly, i have had clients despise hunting so much, they quit.

One despised it on the first hill. Luckily I un-despised that one and he shot a 21 year old brown bear a few easy miles later. smile

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 03:10 PM

Nonsense.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 03:37 PM

I wouldn't agree with most but I bet there is a lot of them...I know of a number of questionable ones.As far as baiting it should not be allowed.Maybe to reduce the doe population or to take one to eat. But there is no such thing as a TROPHY buck taken over bait!!! What a terrible way for a nice buck to be killed or shot---not hunted!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 04:04 PM

[/quote]

I am very familiar with the B&C books believe me. Milo's buck is the reigning typical. This is a nontypical.

www.bernieoutdoors.com

Bernie just looking at pics it looks like a 16 point typical. BUT I know nothing on how the deer was scored. If the 208 was scored as typical it may have netted upper 180's but still world class at 4 yrs of age.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 04:08 PM

What they do in texas is no different than sitting over a bean field or corn field. You got to realize in that part of the country there are no way to grow the crops that you guys are hunting over. So if one of your buddies has a food plot it's ok to hunt over it. ?
If you really want to get technical about it anyone sitting in a tree stand or blind isn't hunting they are watching .......

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 04:11 PM

Words from a jealous guy that has yet to kill a trophy deer I bet! You sound like one of those guys that say"If I can't kill a 180 in deer than by George no one can legally"

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by gman

I wouldn't agree with most but I bet there is a lot of them...I know of a number of questionable ones.As far as baiting it should not be allowed.Maybe to reduce the doe population or to take one to eat. But there is no such thing as a TROPHY buck taken over bait!!! What a terrible way for a nice buck to be killed or shot---not hunted!!

Problem with that statement is who knows if it was shot over bait? Just because Dudley do right narrated the story on how they hunt doesn't mean it happened . Heck guy could have spot lighted it. Only he and God knows. He should have tagged it and been done . Man up for what he did . He succomed to temptation. No different than a man cheating on his wife. Hot little neighbor lies at in the sun naked . He keeps seeing her and one day she asks him over and whoops ! He pulls the trigger.... Marriage is an agreement just like hunting lease !!! LOL
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 04:32 PM

I don't know about most, but a heck of a lot of them are. I really don't care about a fella shooting over bait or a crop of beans or corn. The guys that are shooting from the road, killing a deer 3 days before season, behind a spotlight, or killing deer with a rifle and claiming bow shots are the ones I consider poachers, and there are a heck of a lot of trophy deer taken each year in such ways. The shame of the matter is most are not proven as LE have burden of proof. I like the fact they have to prove guilt, but it sure sucks when bubba is sipping a beer telling his buddies the true story and you know the law couldn't do a darn thing about it.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 05:38 PM

Their money, their land... But if I'm going to all the trouble of fences, feeders, food plots, mineral licks, selective breeding, etc... I'll just buy cattle.

Mike

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 06:11 PM

Think they do . Deer is just a by product of the land.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 06:20 PM

The most important part is to get the deer dead by any legal means. Dead deer don't get hit by cars. Long legged rats.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 06:32 PM

Well don't ever move to south Texas because you're done deer hunting. It's the only way to kill deer.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

Words from a jealous guy that has yet to kill a trophy deer I bet! You sound like one of those guys that say"If I can't kill a 180 in deer than by George no one can legally"

I have directed ore than 250 fishing tournament and we caught people cheating a couple times out of the thousands of anglers who fished these events. Both times we caught someone cheating, they said everyone else was cheating too. Same goes for people who think most big deer are poached. They don't have the skills, the drive and the guts to get really good at deer hunting so they just think the guys who do are cheating in some way.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 06:43 PM

I once killeda mega buck. The stories that floated around were hilarious.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 09:04 PM

Same goes for people who think most big deer are poached. They don't have the skills, the drive and the guts to get really good at deer hunting so they just think the guys who do are cheating in some way.

How much skill, drive and guts does it take to sit in a shooting shack and watch a bait pile?

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 09:10 PM

There's skill involved! Patience, and the ability to shoot 30 yards without spilling your cocktail. smile

If you think about, it is more like fishing. It is like setting the hook without spilling your beer.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 09:17 PM

This whole thread strikes me as a *Booking Agent's* attempt
at promoting South Texas Trophy deer hunting gone awry.

(*Booking agent*) The lowest form of life
in the Hunting & Fishing ecosystem.

w

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
This whole thread strikes me as a *Booking Agent's* attempt
at promoting South Texas Trophy deer hunting gone awry.

(*Booking agent*) The lowest form of life
in the Hunting & Fishing ecosystem.

w

There are no booking agents involved in this type of hunting.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 11:02 PM

If there's a deer hunter in these pages it's Bruce T.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 11:42 PM

Nonsense.

Very true here in Maine.Some are never actually even seen by people.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 11:43 PM

If there's a deer hunter in these pages it's Bruce T.

Thanks.I have shot a few. grin

Re: Poacher busted - 01/25/21 11:52 PM

Dang guys. If it is a legal method in your area there is probably a biological or traditional reason why. Most of us are hunters/trappers/fishermen. Why would anyone hate on a legal method or a legal hunter?

If its legal, and you wish to not participate, then dont!

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 12:10 AM

Dang guys. If it is a legal method in your area there is probably a biological or traditional reason why. Most of us are hunters/trappers/fishermen. Why would anyone hate on a legal method or a legal hunter?

If its legal, and you wish to not participate, then dont!

I support all legal hunting.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 12:27 AM

Well don't ever move to south Texas because you're done deer hunting. It's the only way to kill deer.

Ya got that right because there is a big difference between deer hunting and deer killing. I have no desire to kill deer-I prefer to hunt them.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 12:44 AM

Ya got that right because there is a big difference between deer hunting and deer killing. I have no desire to kill deer-I prefer to hunt them.

I hunt, kill,and eat deer any legal way I can. grin

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 12:55 AM

Starting to feel guilty about searching out acorn trees that are dropping and that patch of beauty berry they spend hours in. And the trails that lead to them...may just start hunting from the road out of my truck so no one can say I’m sitting over bait and not a real hunter.
I’d almost be willing to pay for someone a high fenced hunt and let them shoot a B&C. But if they fail in their mission they pay me back double what it cost. Wonder how many great hunters on here could accomplish that?
Had a buddy that worked with a well known biologist trying to remove all the deer in a high fence area. They hunted over bait, at night with lights, at night with thermals, etc...one year later they were still seeing fawns. And this was on a 250ac section
Every part of the country has different hunting techniques. Baiting is legal here and has opened up a whole new level of understanding deer and their behavior. It’s taught many that you don’t have to shoot the first deer you see, lol. It’s also taught most that if you want to kill a trophy buck, then you better find the trails to that food source and play that wind right cause big boys ain’t coming in until we’ll after dark. You may get him on camera during the day every once in a while, but it won’t be the day you’re there.
Did y’all know that a doe will hang back in the brush and let hers fawns enter the field or opening first to make sure there’s no danger? That’s pretty low down.
Most have also learned a 2.5yr old buck or younger is one of the most dumbest animals on the planet. I truly believe with the right slingshot, I could kill one with ease. A mature doe on the other hand will have you tree hopping if she ever spots or winds you just once.
We all hunt different based on our geographic locations. We all have different laws and different ideas on what’s right and wrong. But we all hunt. Some hunt for mature deer and some kill anything that walks. Who’s right and who’s wrong? It’s all in what you choose. As long as we’re all legal, what does it matter?

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:22 AM

So do I unless it involves baiting. I never cared for baiting.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:33 AM

Baiting included where it is legal.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Starting to feel guilty about searching out acorn trees that are dropping and that patch of beauty berry they spend hours in. And the trails that lead to them...may just start hunting from the road out of my truck so no one can say I’m sitting over bait and not a real hunter.
I’d almost be willing to pay for someone a high fenced hunt and let them shoot a B&C. But if they fail in their mission they pay me back double what it cost. Wonder how many great hunters on here could accomplish that?
Had a buddy that worked with a well known biologist trying to remove all the deer in a high fence area. They hunted over bait, at night with lights, at night with thermals, etc...one year later they were still seeing fawns. And this was on a 250ac section
Every part of the country has different hunting techniques. Baiting is legal here and has opened up a whole new level of understanding deer and their behavior. It’s taught many that you don’t have to shoot the first deer you see, lol. It’s also taught most that if you want to kill a trophy buck, then you better find the trails to that food source and play that wind right cause big boys ain’t coming in until we’ll after dark. You may get him on camera during the day every once in a while, but it won’t be the day you’re there.
Did y’all know that a doe will hang back in the brush and let hers fawns enter the field or opening first to make sure there’s no danger? That’s pretty low down.
Most have also learned a 2.5yr old buck or younger is one of the most dumbest animals on the planet. I truly believe with the right slingshot, I could kill one with ease. A mature doe on the other hand will have you tree hopping if she ever spots or winds you just once.
We all hunt different based on our geographic locations. We all have different laws and different ideas on what’s right and wrong. But we all hunt. Some hunt for mature deer and some kill anything that walks. Who’s right and who’s wrong? It’s all in what you choose. As long as we’re all legal, what does it matter?

Said perfectly!
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:41 AM

Hang in there , Bernie ! All right in my book .
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

So do I unless it involves baiting. I never cared for baiting.

That goes against what I've heard about you being a master baiter. I don't see how you got that title without A LOT of experience.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:47 AM

Everybody has to be good at something.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:55 AM

we bait deer on private land. Mainly to put camera's out to see what kind of deer are there. Rarely do we hunt near the bait, though i dont have a problem with it and most private land owners do. I know from experience the best big buck bait is a hot doe. We kill the majority of our good deer on public land though. Most people around here dont hunt public much anymore because it takes some effort. I really don't see much difference in baiting deer and putting lure at a coyote set?
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by red mt

I'll disagree with this statement all day long. A 6 year old buck will have out produced a 6 year old doe. A buck can, and will breed 10+ doe a year. Possibly producing 20+ offspring. A doe will only be bred once a year possibly producing 2-3 deer a year.

I'll shoot a nice sized 2 year old doe over a spike buck any day of the week if it's the larger of the 2.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 02:56 AM

Not even close.Most jealous people say this.

I have some nice deer not jealous but here it happens alot

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
Originally Posted by red mt

I'll disagree with this statement all day long. A 6 year old buck will have out produced a 6 year old doe. A buck can, and will breed 10+ doe a year. Possibly producing 20+ offspring. A doe will only be bred once a year possibly producing 2-3 deer a year.

I'll shoot a nice sized 2 year old doe over a spike buck any day of the week if it's the larger of the 2.

If the goal is to reduce the deer herd, cull the does.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 03:01 AM

Words from a jealous guy that has yet to kill a trophy deer I bet! You sound like one of those guys that say"If I can't kill a 180 in deer than by George no one can legally" [/quote]

I have directed ore than 250 fishing tournament and we caught people cheating a couple times out of the thousands of anglers who fished these events. Both times we caught someone cheating, they said everyone else was cheating too. Same goes for people who think most big deer are poached. They don't have the skills, the drive and the guts to get really good at deer hunting so they just think the guys who do are cheating in some way. [/quote]
I will put my big deer against your deer anytime and I dont just mean one
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 03:09 AM

For the love of God!!
Snowpa, I've shot a few deer that "most" would call trophies.
Can only think of one that may be questionable.
Mid 80's and did not have a watch. Coulda been a few minutes late but I can't say.
Sure could see him fine.

And to be clear..., every single person who has fished,hunted or trapped has at one time or the other "poached" as defined by the law...., EVERY single one of us!!!

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 04:47 AM

Snowpa so by your own words are you admitting you poached these big deer you are putting up. ? Didn't you say all big deer are poached?

Trot them big boys out here show some pics...

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 04:53 AM

Sportsmen are criminals yet to be caught. Can't remember who said that.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
For the love of God!!
Mid 80's and did not have a watch. Coulda been a few minutes late but I can't say.
Sure could see him fine.

And to be clear..., every single person who has fished,hunted or trapped has at one time or the other "poached" as defined by the law...., EVERY single one of us!!!

Going to have to disagree on that one B&B . Never poached ,fish deer squirrel . Put my shells in my pockets HUNDREDS of times in the squirrel woods after I killed 6 growing up. In the early 70 and some old man was giving me $1 apiece for them skinned. Took a lot of conviction not ot keep shooting.
If I did I didn't know about it and knowing the KY game laws was a passion of mine growing up because I wanted to become a game warden. But the merit system knocked me out of that dream. Took the exam when I was 24 and scored a PERFECT 100 on the test but got beat out by 3 vets because they got 8 bonus points for being vets. At that time only 2 other people had EVER made 100 on a test with 98 question . Remember you had to know stuff like how many teeth a possum has!! Score was good for 4 years and I never took it again as why bother. Now after I'm too old and crippled they change the qualifications. 80 % of the testing is physical fitness. If you can lift weights and do push ups your in. Forget knowing anything about the species you are sworn to protect.

OH NO I lied I did shoot some song birds with my BB gun when I was 6 so you are right ................

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 05:04 AM

See jbyrd. ...you bad guy you! crazy

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 05:12 AM

Yes got the most and maybe worst whipping from my mom. She had a bird feeder in a tree and Iwas home from school snowed in. Had to stay in practice. But my mistake was not picking up all the feathers on the snow. PLUS moms know everything.......

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 05:17 AM

I shot a Robin on my Great Uncles farm 1970s....in Wisconsin, State bird

Yeah, my Great Uncle spanked me!

But he didn't tell Mom and Dad.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 05:21 AM

Could break the springs on a F-250 if you freighted it with the various Tweeties I took out as a kid.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 01:25 PM

Could break the springs on a F-250 if you freighted it with the various Twetties I took out as a kid.

grin

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 02:27 PM

For the love of God!!
Sure could see him fine.

Thanks for your honesty! You want to see the moral majority here really poach, come to Alaska and watch them fish. smile
Posted By: Savell

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 03:36 PM

.... I would never hunt deer over a corn pile

... because it lasts longer if you broadcast it
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
For the love of God!!
Sure could see him fine.

Thanks for your honesty! You want to see the moral majority here really poach, come to Alaska and watch them fish. smile

Truth right there.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
.... I would never hunt deer over a corn pile

... because it lasts longer if you broadcast it

laugh
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 06:22 PM

For the love of God!!
Sure could see him fine.

I like "poached" eggs,,does that count? smile
Posted By: bass10

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 09:53 PM

I've read this thread all the way thru. Same topic different day. I am amazed at the amount of people that knock trophy hunters, I don't knock meat hunters, at all, ever. Truth be told what if trapping season came in and you were only allowed 3 coon and season over? That would be accomplished in one night. Thats how I feel about deer here in Ohio. My season would literally be over on the first weekend if I shot any deer. First couple of days of gun season or first couple of days muzzleloader. My son and I take our share of doe but prefer the real challenge of a mature buck. Why not let me hunt them throughout the season for a challenge? Year and a half bucks do nothing for me, could literally shoot them whenever. Now if I lived in a state (NewYork) where you are lucky just to see a buck things may be different? As for the $12,000, these guys obviously have disposable income and its not costing them food off their families table. So if they want to grow big deer and place limits cause they love deer hunting, more power to them.

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 11:07 PM

Yep more I think about the ole boy it is just like getting married . He succumbed to temptation. Got caught. Paid the fines (divorce) Lost his friends, Has to go looking else where, Same out come as popping the neighbor and getting caught....

Re: Poacher busted - 01/26/21 11:10 PM

I hunt over a 220 acre corn pile that was broad cast over it last year. This year it was soybeans until the dang farmer came by and picked them up on a conveyor and put them in a truck ..............................
© 2024 Trapperman Forums