Home

Moyles beaver tanning

Posted By: Ole

Moyles beaver tanning - 01/21/21 09:28 PM

I just got back 2 beaver pelts from Moyles. Look great, but they don't lay flat in the bottom half of the pelt. If I lay it out flat the long way, the sides curl in and vice versa. Any pointers?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/21/21 09:35 PM

That is the way beaver pelts are after they are tanned. They do not lay flat due to the natural shape of the animal. If you split the legs out, which you may not want to do, then it will lay flat.

Sorry no suggestions for fixing it. I just deal with it. )
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/21/21 09:54 PM

Hmmm ...no suggestions

I was going to send to them
Posted By: ack

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/21/21 10:13 PM

I have never had that with the ones I have had tanned.

Our past OSTA presidents business.
https://arlingtoncape.com/
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/21/21 10:18 PM

You got to dampen the hide and stretch it cheating every thing forward. You will be able to almost get rid of all the slack in the lower back. When it dries it will be 95% gone and oval shape, flat, and keep the shape pretty good
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/21/21 10:59 PM

I've had 3 beaver pelts done by Moyles, all are soft and supple as a baby's blanket.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 12:14 AM

Just got 6 pelts back from them they looked great did not have them long enough to look them over that close they were gone the next day.
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Just got 6 pelts back from them they looked great did not have them long enough to look them over that close they were gone the next day.

You sold them?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kmax8
Originally Posted by Law Dog

You sold them?

Yep 3 were for a kid I put them up for, 2 went to another guy and one to a buddy.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 12:23 AM

You guys must be special. I have to hang most of my hides for 3 days to a week to see what they look like. They throw them hides in the box like it is a laundry hamper. They are all wadded up. frown
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 12:38 AM

I put mine back on the metal hoops for a week or 2 and they lay flat.
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 02:27 AM

So do the hides need to be fleshed before you send them? Also how do you ship them?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
You guys must be special. I have to hang most of my hides for 3 days to a week to see what they look like. They throw them hides in the box like it is a laundry hamper. They are all wadded up. frown

Agree. And the beaver usually do not lay flat. I just block them out by tacking them back on boards after I moisten the leather. This is to stretch the shrinkage out that comes from the tanning process. After blocking and allowing them to dry, they will lay flat.

All tanned fur needs to be blocked before cutting and sewing to make stuff out of it.
Posted By: Ole

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 02:41 AM

I'm close enough that I just drove them over there.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 02:42 AM

Fleshed or heavily salted.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Fleshed or heavily salted.

Beaver should be fleshed before salting or stretching. Pelts that are salted before fleshing have a high chance to slip/taint.
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Moyles beaver tanning - 01/22/21 04:22 AM

I've sent them tons all turn out that way.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums