Home

proud heritage

Posted By: Hydropillar

proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:19 AM

who has heritage of famious heritage.... best i can do iS my great gramma telling about seeimg calamity jane in deadwood geting outta a stage coach...she said she said she pulled her skirt up you could see everything the street was muddy AND SHE WAS CUSSIN A BLUE STREAK !!!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:24 AM

Grandfather was known as Muskrat Pete that trapped on Lake Calumet south of Chicago.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:26 AM

Wife's 5th great uncle = Robert E. Lee. Yep...Confederate General R.E. Lee.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

You win.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
who has heritage of famious heritage.... best i can do iS my great gramma telling about seeimg calamity jane in deadwood geting outta a stage coach...she said she said she pulled her skirt up you could see everything the street was muddy AND SHE WAS CUSSIN A BLUE STREAK !!!

Thats pretty cool xcept she was butt ugly. Maybe not down there.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:30 AM

Hey law dog is this your grand dad?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrKJU-Umqv0

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Hey law dog is this your grand dad?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrKJU-Umqv0

Sounds like him time and place is right, Roseland is where I grew up in the row housing just a couple blocks from the place Pullman train-cars were made many years ago. Electromotive still was building train engines the last I heard I knew a guy that worked there.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:35 AM

I am way down the Line but John Walker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Walker_(Virginia_politician)
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

You win.

She and I joined a local genealogical society a few years back. They had detailed records...Huxford Geneological Society. We located the entire family tree on her mother's side...all the way to England. It was interesting...we spent several days and hours at that place.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Huxford-Spear_Genealogical_Library
Posted By: snowy

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:59 AM

I like that! Great history to pass along, thanks.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:07 AM

My grandmother is a descendant of John Wesley Hardin a notorious gunfighter made famous for shooting a man for snoring and I have an aunt through marriage that is a descendant of William B. Travis who drew the line in the sand at the Alamo.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:38 AM

Somehow related to John Wayne. The "Elder" gang portrayed in the movie are also related, but that is not their real name. They wouldn't let J. Wayne use their real name when he wanted to do the movie to clear up their name.

My 3 or 4 time great grandpa was the first documented Cherokee Indian to settle in Houston county Tn. He was running away from being part of the trail of tears. ( it may have been Montgomery county)

Way way back we are related to queen of England. Which is weird because Princess Di was also related but in a different way.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:42 AM

Cousin of Devil Anse Hatfield, Great Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Hatfield his first cousin. My cousin married Robert E Lee, a descendant with same name. We also had some outlaw cousins on that side the family from Iowa, but can't recall the name off top of my head.
Moms side of the family had a few moon shiners, but not really famous to anyone other than the revenuers. Grandpa was a nurse on the actual medic ship portrayed in the Hacksaw Ridge movie.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

You win.

Yea he wins! I’m a bit jealous. I’d like to do some research on my family’s heritage. I enjoy history
Posted By: chas3457

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:54 AM

Wife's Great Grandmother was related to the Wright Brothers, the Studebakers, and Abraham Lincoln.

My people didn't get here until the late 1800s

Charlie
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:55 AM

Daniel Boone and the Blevins Longhunters are in the family tree.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:58 AM

Have an ancestor, or a brother of my ancestor, who was a horse rustler. He rode with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and there are a couple of photos of him and the Wild Bunch. I didn't know much about him until my son did a school project and found some mug shots, records of time spent in prison, and stories about the Pinkerton Detectives trailing him and a herd of stolen horses. He was involved in the 1900 Tipton train robbery.

Okay, maybe not one to be proud of but at least interesting.
Posted By: Boco

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:00 AM

Anybody related to Jeffrey Dahmer?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:09 AM

Related to the Hazen family,which was a prominent family in the eastern U.S. in the 18th and 19th centuries.They came over on the Mayflower,fought in the Revolution,was with Washington at Valley Forge.Their name appears on the rolls during many of the prominent Indian wars in the east.That's one side of the family,the other side came from Quebec,most of those records are written in French so we never had them interpeted.There was a lot of intermarriage with different tribes,if I recall right the term "half breed" came up alot.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

I’ll need to chew on that!
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Have an ancestor, or a brother of my ancestor, who was a horse rustler. He rode with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and there are a couple of photos of him and the Wild Bunch. I didn't know much about him until my son did a school project and found some mug shots, records of time spent in prison, and stories about the Pinkerton Detectives trailing him and a herd of stolen horses. He was involved in the 1900 Tipton train robbery.

lol ... you can pick your friends and ya can pick youre nose... but ya cant pick your relatives... good story keep em comeing !!
Posted By: furstroker

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Steve...It's whats for dinner.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:20 AM

I'm somehow related to Gotzum Borglum. He was the racist who carved the four faces on Mount Rushmore and didn't include any minorities.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:29 AM

Being half Ukrainian and the rest German and Irish, I tell most folks I come from a long line of Gypsies and Horse thieves. We are built for stealing chickens and running under fences with them in hand, as well as engaging in other acts of skullduggery.

I have not heard of any ancestors of historical note except possibly my Uncle Roy, who was arrested while being Santa Claus in Portage, WI. He had a wife and kids here in Wisconsin, left them and travelled with the carnivals across the U.S. and Mexico, then had another family in California which he also left. I have the original newspaper photo of him in his Santa suit behind bars.

My great-Grandfather, who shot half his hand off with a side by side shotgun while crossing a fence, apparently went to Alaska during the Gold Rush. He also served as the Sheriff in Buffalo New York, and we have a picture of him leaning against the wall of the jail in an old chair. My Grandfather had his old Colt .45 revolver in his jewelry store for protection, but, not surprisingly, we have never located it and assume that old Uncle Roy stole it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: charles

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:33 AM

My momma plaid the piano for silent movies when she was a teen. We ain’t famous yet.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:38 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: white17

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:41 AM

I knew your great grandfather !! He was famous for saying...................."on the other hand"......

Your uncle Roy was a dirt bag thief !!

We knew him well up here !!

I guess I better confess to being a great great nephew of Kit Carson on my mother's side.......or some part..........
Also think I am related to this jerk

[Linked Image]
Posted By: furstroker

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy

lol ... you can pick your friends and ya can pick youre nose... but ya cant pick your relatives... good story keep em comeing !!

My old man used to rob my sisters and my piggy banks to buy beer. That count?
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:45 AM

My Grandmother on my Dads side was supposed to be related to J.C. Penney.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by K-zoo
My Grandmother on my Dads side was supposed to be related to J.C. Penney.

That would be quite an honor...When J.C.Penney started out he tithed 10% of his earnings like normal Christians....
Later on he tithed 90% of his earnings, and kept the rest for his own purposes.

Incredible testament to faith, and blessings in prosperity.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:14 AM

I've never researched my family before the Civil War. I know my dad's side left North Georgia after that war. I believe the original Staton's settled in North Carolina from England.
My Great GrandPa was a deputy sheriff in the early 20th century. I had a Great Uncle KIA while on a bombing run over Berlin.
Posted By: Savell

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:14 AM

... White... you’re related to eustace Conway ? Lol
Posted By: 20scout

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Cousin of Devil Anse Hatfield, Great Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Hatfield his first cousin. My cousin married Robert E Lee, a descendant with same name. We also had some outlaw cousins on that side the family from Iowa, but can't recall the name off top of my head.
Moms side of the family had a few moon shiners, but not really famous to anyone other than the revenuers. Grandpa was a nurse on the actual medic ship portrayed in the Hacksaw Ridge movie.

Andrew, we may be related! Family history goes that I too am related to Robert E. Lee as well as Gen. George Armstrong Custer.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:25 AM

I'd have to see White's teeth, but he might just make it in eastern Ky. laugh
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout

Andrew, we may be related! Family history goes that I too am related to Robert E. Lee as well as Gen. George Armstrong Custer.

Most folks wouldn't admit something like that, and they dang sure wouldn't put an exclamation on it. laugh
Posted By: walleye101

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:33 AM

Andrew
If I were you I'd be claiming Clint was my old man.
Posted By: corky

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:42 AM

Not proud of it but my wife is related to Tito.
Posted By: Zim

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
... White... you’re related to eustace Conway ? Lol

By golly Savell, now that you mention it, there is a striking resemblance there.

Zim
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:47 AM

Somewhere down the line Judge Parker the hanging judge was a uncle or something.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by corky
Not proud of it but my wife is related to Tito.

Jackson of the Jackson 5?

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:51 AM

Hi Zim.... do you have any famous relatives?

.... probably not ...because I can’t think of even one bohemian that was famous for anything lol
Posted By: k snow

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:56 AM

No one terribly famous, but proud to be one of the Mayflower descendants of 2 families, 3 relatives in the revolution (all Patriots), 7 civil war relatives and a 190 year family history in Wisconsin.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:57 AM

.... probably not ...because I can’t think of even one bohemian that was famous for anything lol

Hey you hillbilly ! I'm part Bohemian, and FAMOUS too. shocked

Been in a movie and in paintings in rich folks' homes. cool

Charlie

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by chas3457

Hey you hillbilly ! I'm part Bohemian, and FAMOUS too. shocked

Been in a movie and in paintings in rich folks' homes. cool

Charlie

...a movie? ... were you the backup stunt double in brokeback mountain? ... I know Jtrap was the lead lol

.. you know I’Chas lol
Posted By: Posco

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 04:21 AM

My oldest daughter was runner up for Miss Maine. That kinda counts but other than that, I'm mongrel.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 04:30 AM

Look up "My Antonia", Jeremy.

I'm the guy totin the box at the train station, when Doogie Houser looks out of the train window, TWICE. grin

Here's a couple paintings I'm in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Charlie
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 04:56 AM

Very cool Charlie!! You've kept that beard in good shape!

Anybody have any Andrews blood line out of colonial Massachusetts...? Mine was supposedly here since the 1660s. I also have Fraser out of Nova Scotia where my grandma came down to Mass about early WWI time. She died when my mom was only 7 or 8 and must not have told grandpa much about her past because my mom didn't even know her grandma's name in NS, only her grandpa's, a Daniel Fraser. We were in NS in the early 1990s and I tried looking up marriage certificates of Daniel Frasers in Antiquish County during about a 15-year target window and only came up with 9, so still don't know my great-grandma's name on my mom's side.

My Kraut side is way newer, only in the US since 1873. German name but one of my cousins who was into genealogy had some evidence that they may have "started" out in the Basque country of Spain, came across southern France (there's a city of my name there but I think the Frenchies pronounce it differently) and into what became sw Germany by the 1300s. Supposedly the German name means "watcher of herds at night" so maybe we're related back to the shepherds of the Biblical days. My immediate people split what would become southwest Germany right at the end of the Napoleonic Wars by going down the Danube to the Black Sea and then becoming good German farmers for the Tsars in south part of their empire (in Ukraine). The people felt better being closer to the Holy Land so maybe they knew something. My people had a good deal from the Tsars for about 2 generations and then the rules changed. My family left the for the USA the same year the rules changed, as did most of their village and a lot of other Germans who were living in the south of the Russian empire.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 05:22 AM

... looked it up Chas... very nice... I hope you’re not the reason ol doogie ended up that way because of that second look lol

.... take care movie star.. I’ve got to lay out the bed roll at some point tonight
Posted By: KC Blues

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 07:33 AM

My parents told me some guy with the last name of Clark shows up in our genealogy. He took a boat ride with a guy with the last name of Lewis on the Corp of Discovery.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Somehow related to John Wayne. The "Elder" gang portrayed in the movie are also related, but that is not their real name. They wouldn't let J. Wayne use their real name when he wanted to do the movie to clear up their name.

My 3 or 4 time great grandpa was the first documented Cherokee Indian to settle in Houston county Tn. He was running away from being part of the trail of tears. ( it may have been Montgomery county)

Way way back we are related to queen of England. Which is weird because Princess Di was also related but in a different way.

Very nice.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 07:56 AM

For me just french canadian trappers.
Posted By: snowy

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:16 PM

Interesting heritage some of you had.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:18 PM

well did a dna test on mom a few years ago , and her grand mother side has two different Indian tribes in it ,she could be has much as 37 % , ask her why they never got cards ,she said when she was young people thru rocks at half breeds , the only famous person in our family tree was a old trapper that live in the woods with his dogs for years , up here in the U P of Michigan , and then moved around for a while and end up in south Dakota , he known has LAW DOG smile
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:45 PM

On my mom's side of the family I'm related to Benjamin Franklin. And on my dad's side his Great Grandfather was a steamboat captain on the Mississippi River by the name of James Ward. Here's a little history on him, Abraham Lincoln was the lawyer against him.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 12:59 PM

Daniel Boone is in my family tree. Very shirt-tail.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

and no ... we're not Kin
[Linked Image]
grin

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twolines
Ain’t no fame in moon shinin hillbillies. That said the other half of the family has been in law enforcement back as far I have checked. My cuz and I are the last two of the name and I have my great granddads service revolver and ticket book from Memphis Tennessee.

Now Thats Awesome
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 01:54 PM

Traced my Dads side back to Scotland, The Bruce was my 23rd Great-Grandfather, not surprising to anyone still surviving that their ancestry somewhere along the line contains royalty, but this story will stick with me. Different times lol

"Sir Henry de Bohun (died 23 June 1314) was an English knight, the grandson of Humphrey de Bohun, 2nd Earl of Hereford. He was killed on the first day of the Battle of Bannockburn by Robert the Bruce. Riding in the vanguard of heavy cavalry, de Bohun caught sight of the Scottish king who was mounted on a small palfrey (ane gay palfray Li till and joly) armed only with a battle-axe.[1] De Bohun lowered his lance and charged, but Bruce stood his ground. At the last moment Bruce maneuvered his mount nimbly to one side, stood up in his stirrups and hit de Bohun so hard with his axe that he split his helmet and head in two . Despite the great risk the King had taken, he merely expressed regret that he had broken the shaft of his favorite axe."
Posted By: 20scout

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:27 PM

Andrew, we may be related! Family history goes that I too am related to Robert E. Lee as well as Gen. George Armstrong Custer. [/quote]
Most folks wouldn't admit something like that, and they dang sure wouldn't put an exclamation on it. laugh[/quote]
Admit to being related to Custer?? whistle
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:31 PM

I come from a line of mentally ill abusers, wife beaters, and child abandoners. Not much to be proud of. My future relatives will be able to speak better about their ancestors, though.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:33 PM

Many years ago I had a milk cow named Elsie.
Posted By: SJA

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:45 PM

I'm a descendent of Adam & Eve . . . or Cheetah . . . does that count? laugh
Posted By: K52

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

Was she contented?

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by K52
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

Was she contented?

Hit by a train condensed now.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:34 PM

I am descended from Lord De La War from which the word Delaware came.

My great, great grandmother was a cousin of Johns Hopkins. That family has been in Maryland since the mid 1600's.

When the Continental Army left Philadelphia they first camped at a place called Whitemarsh before going to Valley Forge. That property was owned by an ancestor of mine named West.
Washington deemed him such a patriot that he told his troops not to cut firewood on the property
Posted By: grumley701

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 03:43 PM

Abraham, Noah and Adam, that's not to shabby...

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 09:53 PM

... speaking of movies Chas.... folks think my dad is Clint Eastwood ... only a little meaner lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Posco

Re: proud heritage - 01/22/21 10:10 PM

... speaking of movies Chas.... folks think my dad is Clint Eastwood ... only a little meaner lol

[Linked Image]

People think I'm Clint Eastwood, but a tad better looking. I don't make a big deal out of it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums