Home

Foot Activated Cable Restraint

Posted By: BvrRetriever

Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 04:33 PM

I have never used a foot activated cable restraint. Do they have any advantages over a standard foothold when the ground is froze and covered with snow? It just doesn’t seem like they would.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 04:34 PM

Can't use them In WI.

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 04:47 PM

According to the regs you can.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 04:49 PM

Hmmm.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 05:18 PM

Page 10 of Wisc.regs.
• set, place or operate any snare, regardless of the noose size unless ¹∕2 of the snare noose is located underwater at all times.• set, place or operate any snare unless the noose cable and noose attachments conform to the following specifications:– the cable length may not exceed 5 ft.;– the cable must be galvanized aircraft cable;– the cable or wire diameter may not exceed ¹∕8 inch; and– it must be non-spring activated.

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Page 10 of Wisc.regs.
• set, place or operate any snare, regardless of the noose size unless ¹∕2 of the snare noose is located underwater at all times.• set, place or operate any snare unless the noose cable and noose attachments conform to the following specifications:– the cable length may not exceed 5 ft.;– the cable must be galvanized aircraft cable;– the cable or wire diameter may not exceed ¹∕8 inch; and– it must be non-spring activated.

You are confusing snares with cable restraints...they are two different things in Wisconsin. Wisconsin regs clearly state that foot activated cable restraints are legal. I’m just curious if they have any advantages over footholds.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 05:35 PM

My mistake.

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 05:41 PM

Foot-Activated Cable RestraintsYou may not:• set, place or operate foot-activated cable restraints for any species other than fox, coyote and bobcat;• set out or place a cable restraint, whether set or sprung, on public or private land, except during the following dates:– Dec. 1, 2020–Jan. 31, 2021 for bobcat; and– Dec. 1, 2020–Feb. 15, 2021 for coyote and fox.• use foot-activated cable restraints for removal of nuisance wildlife except for coyote and fox during the dates listed above;• stake a cable restraint in a manner that allows the restraint device to reach any part of a fence, rooted woody vegetation greater than ½ inch diameter or any other immovable object or stake that could cause entanglement;• set, place or operate any foot-activated cable restraint unless the noose cable and attachments conform to the following specifications:– the cable length may not exceed 7 ft., must be 3/32 inch or larger and consist of multiple wires;– includes a breakaway device or stop rated at 350 lbs. or less;– includes a roller or barrel in-line swivel that ensures that the portion of the cable that makes up the noose loop may not be longer than 22 inches; and– includes an in-line shock spring.Figure 5.Foot-activated cable restraint. The maximum loop stop is set at 22 inches from lock.Finding Land Open to TrappingThe DNR website provides detailed information about public and public-access lands in your area. Visit dnr.wi.gov keyword “trap”. Click on the “where to trap” link under the “during your season” subheading.Voluntary Public Access (VPA) is a voluntary program that provides financial incentives to private landowners who open their property to public hunting, fishing, trapping and wildlife observation. Properties open to public access through the VPA program and information on enrolling can be found by visiting dnr.wi.gov keyword “V PA” or by calling 888-936-7463.

Looks like you can use them for 2 months.

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 06:26 PM

Can't imagine having to bury all that junk and keep It operational In the winter. It's hard enough to have to deal with a foot hold trap under winter conditions.

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/24/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Can't imagine having to bury all that junk and keep It operational In the winter. It's hard enough to have to deal with a foot hold trap under winter conditions.

That’s my thoughts too, Beav. I think it would be easier to keep a foothold working...and even that is a never ending task in winter. Add to that the entanglement issue. I just can’t see why anyone would use a foot activated cable.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/25/21 02:25 AM

Gulo might be a man that knows about them
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/25/21 02:53 AM

Ive been playing around with designs for one for a couple of years now. I believe there's some advantages to them to make them worth pursuing. My designs are nothing like what's available on the market now. Rain and freeze thaw conditions I think they will have a great advantage. Plus your not limited to jaw spread or pan size.

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/25/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Ive been playing around with designs for one for a couple of years now. I believe there's some advantages to them to make them worth pursuing. My designs are nothing like what's available on the market now. Rain and freeze thaw conditions I think they will have a great advantage. Plus your not limited to jaw spread or pan size.

I’m interested to hear more.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Foot Activated Cable Restraint - 01/26/21 04:27 PM

Have heard guys say they come through the snow better but have not tried them myself.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums