Home

Mater ?????

Posted By: il.trapper

Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:01 PM

Gonna start my maters from seed this year. First time doing so. Peppers and a few others to.

Question is, what are the best mater for making sauce, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and ketchup with?

I usually grow better boys, beef steak, a yellow mater that I can't think of the name right now, and wanting to try raising the pink Brandywines.

I have not had the best of luck using any of those for sauces. Looking for advice from folks who have experience.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:05 PM

Roma's are really good for sauces. Also any variations labeled as paste tomatoes in see catalogs. Roma's are tough to beat though
Posted By: Bob

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:08 PM

Amish paste tomatoes
Posted By: warrior

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:19 PM

Try Opalka, a polish paste type with great flavor. The first set of fruit always get blossom end rot no matter what and will be the only mater in the garden to do so but it'll shrug it off and bear heavy until frost. It's always one of my first to set fruit and second to last to play out. Seems to be resistant if not immune to the brights that take out others.

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:26 PM

Some of your peppers, most notably any of the habenero types, will need a heat pad to germinate. Also a peroxide soak seems to help some of the really hard to start types.

If you use the trays with the clear tops remove the tops as soon as you get the seed leaves fully open, otherwise excess humidity can lead to dampening off issues. I also like to get a small fan on them to get some strength in the stems from the vibration. This is for all my starts.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:30 PM

Purple Cherokees. :-)
Posted By: otterc

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:35 PM

We make 80 quarts a season. Use a mixture of beef steak and roma.

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 10:35 PM

Cherokee Purple is my favorite slicer/beefsteak type. Mortgage Lifter is my most productive beefsteak type.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 11:03 PM

Been using Sheboygan and Opalka the last few years. Get the seed from Totally Tomatoes. Have tried all of the paste tomatoes they sell over the years. Lot's of good ones but these two get very large and are real meaty. Put up over 100 quarts every year, usually cook the juice down to about 60% for thickness. San Marano have the best flavor but they are smaller, more like a Roma and I hate picking small tomatoes when you need 35 buckets. Mike
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 11:07 PM

Warrior,
Try a handful of gypsum around each plant. Stops the blossom end rot, haven't had any problems since I started using it. Mike
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 11:24 PM

Roma’s for me.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mater ????? - 01/24/21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC
Been using Sheboygan and Opalka the last few years. Get the seed from Totally Tomatoes. Have tried all of the paste tomatoes they sell over the years. Lot's of good ones but these two get very large and are real meaty. Put up over 100 quarts every year, usually cook the juice down to about 60% for thickness. San Marano have the best flavor but they are smaller, more like a Roma and I hate picking small tomatoes when you need 35 buckets. Mike

holy Tomato

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by MikeC
Warrior,
Try a handful of gypsum around each plant. Stops the blossom end rot, haven't had any problems since I started using it. Mike

Done that. The soil is as perfect as I can get it for tomatoes. No ber on any other tomato, I assume it's something unique to how Opalka takes up calcium early on.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 12:42 AM

I like a hybrid roma variety called "supremo" for sauce. Very high yielding and excellent flavor
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jackdale
Roma's are really good for sauces. Also any variations labeled as paste tomatoes in see catalogs. Roma's are tough to beat though

This ^^^^
Burpee has some very large Roma and paste tomatoes
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 02:29 AM

I was thinking of the purple Cherokees and Opalkas. So will most likely try them.

Warrior, I won't plant any pepper with heat. None of us eat them. Some sweet peppers is all I ever grow.

However, what is this peroxide soak you speak of? Never heard of it. Is it for all/most seedlings? Or just some peppers?
Posted By: nate

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 02:57 AM

Arkansas travelers, are very good and way good producers. Rutgers very good and decent producers. Also the beast (Monsanto) haven't got there paws in the pot.

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 03:30 AM

The peroxide soak is for those pepper varieties that are difficult to get started. Usually the chinesis types, most of those are habenero or other south american types. 24-48 hours in peroxide prior to planting. Many require special starter mix and heat as well.
I'm not really a chile head but I do like quite a few warm to hot peppers. I grow cowhorn for vinegar pepper sauce, sport, jalapeño M and fooled you hybrid, ancho L, hot banana, golden greek and pepperocini, aji dulce and bolivian rainbow. Plus I usually have a few others as well.

All of your common sweets are annum types and don't need any special care or tricks to get sprouted, though heat is always nice if the room is cool.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by grisseldog
Originally Posted by Jackdale

This ^^^^
Burpee has some very large Roma and paste tomatoes

Burpee Big Mama is a large paste tomato with a very good yield. they do have a tendency to bottom end rot, but gypsum or calcium if you can find it takes care of the problem fairly well.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Gonna start my maters from seed this year. First time doing so. Peppers and a few others to.

Question is, what are the best mater for making sauce, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and ketchup with?

I usually grow better boys, beef steak, a yellow mater that I can't think of the name right now, and wanting to try raising the pink Brandywines.

I have not had the best of luck using any of those for sauces. Looking for advice from folks who have experience.

I use Roma's for sauces. The sammich maters have too much water in them and I have found that my sauce gets so acidic with those types that it ruins it. I have stuck with Roma's the past few years and have much higher quality sauces.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 04:22 PM

San Marzano type roma for paste , sauce , ect

when you slice them stem to blossom you can with a thumb nail flick the seeds and jelly out the rest of the mater is the meat very dense. good flavor
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 04:47 PM

We use romas and Celebrity. Works out good.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Mater ????? - 01/25/21 08:17 PM

Romas are good,,,but Margherita tomatoes are better.Used to grow all Romas for sauce till a friend of mine with a greenhouse turned me on to the margheritas.They are all pulp and feal like hand grenades.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums