Home

Just bought a whole pig

Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:06 AM

from the farmer I know. Kill date beginning of March. Good summertime eats on the way.
Posted By: N.Roberts

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:09 AM

Do you mind sharing what you paid for it?
I was looking into one and the cost is 225$ for a 250-300# hog. Basic butchering is 60cent a pound hanging wait. Cured meat is 60 cents additional per pound. Is that a good deal?
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:09 AM

good eatin there! mmmm bacon

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by N.Roberts
I was looking into one and the cost is 225$ for a 250-300# hog. Basic butchering is 60cent a pound hanging wait. Cured meat is 60 cents additional per pound. Is that a good deal?

About the same
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:18 AM

N.Roberts That figures out to be around
90 cents a pound live weight. Seems pretty high priced
To me. I’m guessing actual price for a live hog is 40-50 cents per
Pound. I assume the farmer is going to deliver to the butcher.
That would be worth something.
Posted By: JD Hornet

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:30 AM

I run my hogs in the woods with electric fence and rotationally graze them, also provide feed. They get a wide variety of food sources from rooting, hay and what not I charge $4.00 a pound plus butcher cost and I deliver. Have more customers then I can service. Are your pigs raised in confinement. Not saying anything is wrong just wondering?
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:32 AM

Can you butcher it your self and save money? Pigs are easy to kill cut and wrap then pay someone to cure the hams and bacon.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by JD Hornet
I run my hogs in the woods with electric fence and rotationally graze them, also provide feed. They get a wide variety of food sources from rooting, hay and what not I charge $4.00 a pound plus butcher cost and I deliver. Have more customers then I can service. Are your pigs raised in confinement. Not saying anything is wrong just wondering?

Im wondering too where do you find such gullible people?

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bowwhitetail
N.Roberts That figures out to be around
90 cents a pound live weight. Seems pretty high priced
To me. I’m guessing actual price for a live hog is 40-50 cents per
Pound. I assume the farmer is going to deliver to the butcher.
That would be worth something.

He told me about 50 cents a lb. I have to pay the farmer. Then I pay for a kill charge and then butchering.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:39 AM

Only thing missing is your kill fee normally 75 to 100 bucks.

But that is very reasonable 60 cents cut wrap and 1.20 to cure smoke cut and wrap hams and bacon. Id pay those prices
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:40 AM

Very easy to process your self easy as a deer. You can even render out the lard and the hide makes great bait this time of the year. Cut out the backstraps or chops, use a battery operated saw cut the ribs. debone front shoulders and neck for sausage hind quarters cure and smoke or fresh and home smoked bacon. Good time of year to do it nice and cool for the smoker. Head makes good souse or tamales, heart liver for sausage and can even wash your own casings and brine. Nothing like homemade boudin with the liver, celery, onions and spices.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:44 AM

Just bought one for $30 but was a bigger sow, just mainly doing sausage for brats, smoked breakfast links and ground to add to deer meat.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Can you butcher it your self and save money? Pigs are easy to kill cut and wrap then pay someone to cure the hams and bacon.

This. I do 1-2 every year and butcher myself. Not hard, plenty of YouTube videos on it, and saves.money.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 12:57 AM

Last week at the local auction, butcher weight hogs were 35 cents a pound, so a 250 pound butcher hog would be $87.50.

Keith
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 01:06 AM

Very Easy to butcher. 4.00 a pound plus butcher is nuts
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 02:16 AM

Ya got a pig Castrater?

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 02:17 AM

Remember you people are the salt of the earth, most people have no idea how to raise a pig or cow or goat or sheep. And my customers want no gmo feed and no ivermectin. It's what a customer wants to put in his or her body. And make no mistake I'm not the only one.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 02:43 AM

We get $2.35/pound hanging plus slaughter and butcher fees, usda inspected, we have them sold before we get the pigglets.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 02:49 AM

Thank you New fox1 and ours are USDA inspected also. And we use hanging hanging weight. It is all in your customer base and what they demand.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:05 AM

Jd more power too you not knocking you if you can get that and i bet it takes more time to slaughter weight. Just want to find people like that to buy from us.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:16 AM

Nice
Posted By: SJA

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:25 AM

A few months ago, I paid $130 for a USDA 70# whole pig butchered / split and ready for the La Caja. :-)

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:25 AM

NV went to high school in Fernley. And Thank you Sir I'm not knocking anyone on there price. It is in marketing. I have a niche" market ie not large. My customers have health problems or they do not want health problems. Pastured pigs or cows have higher omega 3s good cholesterol. Also the varied diet makes the meat taste better. Be warned cook at a lower temperature for longer time and yes the pigs will be leaner so a longer time to slaughter weight Health food stores and just talking to people go a long way I have a doctor that actually gives a prescription for grass feed beef and grass feed chicken. Waiting for the pastured pork prescription.

And just in case anyone else is knocking me I'm happy you can find pork so cheep. I have totally different clientele and I have no problem with what other people are doing. My business is totally health related.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:36 AM

Many ways to raise a pig
Many ways to market them

If the buyer & Seller are happy, its a fair deal.

I raise 6 to 8 a year for Family in two outdoor mud hole pens 32'x32' each side. Hog house shelters. Corn,Soy, salt,mineral Hog ration mixed for me 500# at a time. Lots of Water, lots of work and Great Pork!!!!

The Grandkids and My kids Approve

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:41 AM

Many ways to raise pigs. What makes you happy?

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:49 AM

Op sorry i got this off track.

You got a fair deal compaired to here.
Posted By: Netman

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:54 AM

Remember...
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 01/25/21 03:55 AM

Netman get in on !

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/27/21 08:02 PM

Update. I paid the farmer 165 and the butcher 360. The animal was over 300lbs. I got lots of brats, Italians, bacon, and breakfast sausage made. Reason for the high butcher bill.
Posted By: John C

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/27/21 09:17 PM

I checked a few weeks ago on pig prices around here and they were $1.79/lb split and ready to roast On my pig cooker. They even asked if I wanted the head and feet or wanted them removed.
Posted By: cheechako

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/27/21 09:50 PM

Got one coming next month for about the same money. I’d like to raise my own but as hot as it gets around here in the summer the smell would be horrible...
Posted By: RFrame

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 12:31 AM

OP you’re definitely not over paying. I also agree with 330, if buyer and seller are happy it’s a fair price.

I don’t know why NVwrangler feels the need to call someone out that has figured out a niche market and is using it to increase their profits.

NVwrangler, do you raise any type of livestock?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by RFrame
OP you’re definitely not over paying. I also agree with 330, if buyer and seller are happy it’s a fair price.

I don’t know why NVwrangler feels the need to call someone out that has figured out a niche market and is using it to increase their profits.

He's in the industry and what he does for a living.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 01:06 AM

JD Hornet
Sounds like your good at business, nuttin wrong with that.
Hammer Down
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 01:07 AM

I like piggy's

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 01:56 AM

So am I, and I do a lot better on the calves that I hold back, feed and finish to slaughter weight, and sell to
local customers that don’t mind paying a premium price for a premium product, than I do on my calves that I wean, take to the sale barn, and sell for market value. My customers end up paying a little more than they would at the grocery store but I can guarantee that the animal hasn’t had any hormones or antibiotics and all the profits go straight to me, not to the cattle buyer, cattle hauler, feed yard, packer, truck driver, grocery store, and whoever else in between.

If NVwrangler likes to sell his product for market value that’s great, but he shouldn’t knock someone else that has found a way that works better for them.

I used to sell quite a few and broke ranch/rope horses and so did a buddy of mine. He used to get about double for his what I got for mine. I asked him why he was getting more when mine were just as nice, we’ll bred, and worked just as good as his. All he said was “you don’t ask enough for them”. I started asking more and had no problem selling them. If you have a good quality product and know how to market it, people will pay for it.

Sorry to get this thread off track, I’ve said all I need to
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 02:13 AM

Bought 2 live butcher hogs last summer both about 300lbs. They were very reasonable then. Butchered them ourselves, cut the up just like we do our deer.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 02:21 AM

Bought butcher hogs last summer for 50 bucks a piece. If you have a place to cool them it is as easy to cut up as a deer. LLL
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River

He's in the industry and what he does for a living.

Dont seem like it. Seems more intent on shootin a schnauzer
than makin money in his posts.
But then again...who really wants a trashy desert pig? laugh

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 03:22 AM

Only thing missing is your kill fee normally 75 to 100 bucks.

But that is very reasonable 60 cents cut wrap and 1.20 to cure smoke cut and wrap hams and bacon. Id pay those prices

Why is your kill fee so high? Never seen over $25 around here. Is it harder to do
out west?

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 03:38 AM

How about this trailer load of pork??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Me and a couple buddies always make a 4 day run through Texas and Oklahoma buying show pigs for our kids and some of the other local 4H kids. These pics were from last year. Leaving Wednesday for this years pigs. It’s always a fun trip and we look at a lot of pigs. If you want to buy expensive pork get your kids into showing pigs!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 03:44 AM

That is all beeeutiful right there. I love some purty pork and said purty pork's homegrounds.
Sweet setup RFrame!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JD Hornet
Remember you people are the salt of the earth, most people have no idea how to raise a pig or cow or goat or sheep. And my customers want no gmo feed and no ivermectin. It's what a customer wants to put in his or her body. And make no mistake I'm not the only one.

For years right after WWII the mantra in agriculture was "get big----or get out". Free range, organic, farmers market, subscription farming are just some of the ways that small farms are finding a niche to be able to live a country lifestyle. Not many are getting rich, but with creativity and supplying what the customer wants it is a way to stay on the land.

I'm all for it.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 03:43 PM

I will add: animals with access to pasture usually have way more omega 3's than confined animals. Goes for eggs too.

A refresher on Omega 3's: One of the most studied fatty acids. Good for heart health, lowers bad cholesterol, good for brain health, reduces ADHD in kids, good for pregnant women for fetal health, reduces body inflammation, helps bodies metabolic function reducing obesity, good for eye health, and the list goes on and on.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 05:23 PM

Just raise a few, we sell show livestock. Only thing we don't raise at this time are club calves.

Run a few horses.

Glad to see kids involved in 4h in your other post.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 05:27 PM

I just gave $200 for a live weight hog of 239 lbs. Cost me $216 for kill/butcher and cure bacon and hams.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/28/21 05:34 PM

Fur

The kill fees out here are high in part there is just so few places or people that do it. That price is the usda inspected facility that scalds butcher hogs. The mobile guy is not much less.

Its 70 miles to the slaughterhouse

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/29/21 04:53 AM

Kill fee’s what does that include?
Surely more than a 22 round to the head and gutting.

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/30/21 01:37 AM

Fur

The kill fees out here are high in part there is just so few places or people that do it. That price is the usda inspected facility that scalds butcher hogs. The mobile guy is not much less.

Its 70 miles to the slaughterhouse

That makes sense and that's a shame they beat ya over the head
like that. You almost gotta do it yourself to make any ends.
I guess i should be happy about our butcher rates...if you can get a date
anymore, but then there's guys you may be able to find if youre in a pinch here.
If i were smarter id get versed in proper butchering, but
that's a lil ways down the road.
Best of luck to ya NVWr. Sounds tough out yonder.
And...ive never messed with a USDA butcher...so that's a whole nother world that i
dont want to know.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/30/21 02:17 AM

Just got our pig back this week from butcher. 340 lb gilt. I paid 0$. But I went down to the barn and loaded it out after it was shot. Hauled it home and gutted it out and skinned it. Called the butcher and a friend. Asked friend if they wanted half a hog and it should be around 100 lbs of cut.wrapped pork for around $100. Took it to the butcher and came home with 188 lbs. Gave friend 94 lbs of wrapped pork for $100. That covered all my fees as well for the processing. We have 94lbs of pork for nothing other than my sweat equity and helped out another family for all cuts of pork at about $1 a lb for finished pork. Processing here was .55/lb
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Just bought a whole pig - 03/30/21 03:38 AM

Hogs have gone up lately and look to stay higher for at least the spring and summer. Brat and grilling season is here and the pork numbers are finally adjusting after the fiasco in spring. Export demand looks strong as well.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums