Home

Wolverine On Film?

Posted By: Pest's Dad

Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:23 AM

The 'Wolverine Mount' thread has pushed me to seek closure on this one.

I saw a film (Movie) back in the day. Something about a family living in a snowy part of US. Only thing I remember was the 'John Boy Walton' type elder son character finding himself under a conifer tree when some snow falls on him.

Next thing we know, he's crawling about in a pile of logs, arguing with some snarly thing. This thing seems to give him a hard time. Till he whacks it with a hatchet.

I came away with the impression, through memory, that the snarly thing was a "(?)Vreen".

I wondered about this " Vreen " creature for years. That would have been over fifty years ago, by the way. Anyone remember that film, please?

Bit of a bucket list thing, nailing that one! grin

Thanks.
Posted By: white17

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:29 AM

I don't remember that but let's not attribute a nasty attitude to these magnificent critters. They are only defensive when threatened or when competing for food. Otherwise they are no different than a placid little squirrel
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:35 AM

Disney movie about a guy living on a marsh that loved geese, ermine trappers and the Wolverine kept stealing them from his traps.

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:40 AM

Those Calloways was the name with Brian Keith
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:41 AM

They are never the charging, growling, going to tear you apart that many would believe.
Large female wolves and otters are the ones that would chew you apart, given a chance.

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Disney movie about a guy living on a marsh that loved geese, ermine trappers and the Wolverine kept stealing them from his traps.

The marsh loved geese ????????

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
They are never the charging, growling, going to tear you apart that many would believe.
Large female wolves and otters are the ones that would chew you apart, given a chance.

Every time I have to deal with a live otter I wish I had steel stove pipe on my legs !!

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Law Dog

The marsh loved geese ????????

They got along well the geese and the marsh. LOL

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:48 AM

Ohhh That makes sense !!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by white17

Every time I have to deal with a live otter I wish I had steel stove pipe on my legs !!

They are freaking chainsaws with legs.

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:57 AM

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's for sure ! At least they sound that way !!

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 02:55 PM

frown No takers then?

And, no; This one had nothing to do with marshes or geese, sorry. More snow and fir trees. Fact is, I have absolutely no idea what it Was to do with. Just some matinée film. Strange how my ear only registered the " vrine " part. It was a while before I happened on the Wolverine. Fascinated me ever since.

Dang! That film's gonna haunt me though. I have absolutely no other reference what so ever, either. Can't remember the slightest detail. But, the wolverine scene is as clear as just now.

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 03:35 PM

Look it up pest that’s it the kid in the brush pile with a wolverine that he kills with a hatchet. Look it up on the web they show that part with the kid and wolverine.
Posted By: jk

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 03:44 PM

We have to release otter here in this part of Pa. We have a lot of otter here. I have released over a dozen. Yes half were in #3 dukes and the rest really were in 1/2s. The only safe way is to choke them down till unconscious and then get the trap off. Anything else is dangerous to your health. Oh and dont miss on the first try with the snare pole. You might as well leave and come back in ahours or so if you do......jk
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 03:45 PM

"Those Calloways" The best part of the film is the kid trapped all winter to make enough money to save the farm and the family thought they were going to make about ( I think $1800) on the furs and came home and got grilled by the wife and admitted they got burned for $400.

How many times has this happened to a trapper?

P.S. 1930's or so?

The weird thing is the film was anti-sport hunting for geese and pro trapping for livelihood. smile

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:00 PM

shocked Law Dog; Are ye saying ye've Found it??? Please tell me, or chuck up a link. All I'm getting is an Idaho man. A Marvel comics character. And Lizzie Bordon! crazy

(I can barely believe I'm still obsessing over a film I probably saw nearly sixty years ago. But, here I am! grin)
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:08 PM

It is on Disney+

Back to watching "Pollyanna"

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:10 PM

Is this it ?

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:34 PM

Dunno. What was that, White?

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 04:53 PM

That is the movie that Dirt and Law Dog referenced. I've never seen it

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 05:24 PM

Oh. Sorry. All I'm seeing is " Video Unavailable ". (Yahoo mailer's down too. I'm having a great time!)

Aaaaaarghhh!!!!! Gentlemen; My sincerest apologies! How thick am I?! Sorry! It was the bit about the geese and the marsh? I couldn't remember geese or marshes. But, as I've said myself? I don't remember Anything but the wolverine scene. Could have been a film about pink elephants from outer space for all I remember.

LOL! You guys must have been thinking, " How stupid Is this guy?! We're Telling him what film it was. Over and over! " laugh I feel such a dork now!

Brilliant! Thanks, guys! Wow! 1965? That was a while ago. Just got to find a watchable version now. I haven't got " Disney + " or much else. But, now I know it, I'm sure I'll find it.

You guys rock! grin Cracked it!

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 05:28 PM

You can watch it on YouTube I believe
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 05:32 PM

Man thats the truth! I've got a KBD dog that is always out on the line with me. I have no fear of bears when shes around and many times I've watched her put the run on adult grizzly bears. About a half mile from my cabin where the river goes out of the lake the water never totally freezes and you can see otters there almost daily. She will run out on that thin ice and chase those otters around. Sometimes its family units and they will surround her, poking their heads up through ice holes to watch her progress. One day shes going to get 'lucky' and get ahold of one and if she survives she will never bother them again.

I almost had a heart attack a few years ago and if the big jammer had taken me no one would have known that an otter had killed me. I was stretched out near a small river calling moose. It was a clear fall day and hunting was slow. I was getting sleepy and at some point I kind of dozed off. All of a sudden a loud snort that sounded like it was inches from my ear brought me straight up off the ground like I had a spring under me. I thought for sure a bear had walked right up on me. I whirled around fumbling with my rifle, and here about 3-feet away was a big otter standing up on his hind legs. I guess he was fishing in the creek and had spotted me laying there and came to investigate. Sure woke me up I know that!
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 05:46 PM

there was a movie about a boy that befriended a wolverine and had it as a pet, I was a kid at the time and a bunch of us liked the movie because we seen wolverines and found it funny that someone would have one as a pet. They depicted the wolverine running up toward a snow avalanche and stood its ground against it. End of the movie they showed it have a hunny and kids. lol

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 07:08 PM

That Fool; Don't, for pitys sake, tell anyone, but; I've just been out feeding 'my foxes'! grin

Pair of absolutely wild as the wind red's. I stuck my trail cam out, last month. Dunno why. Guess I just wanted to see if anything happened out there. Found there was a fox sniffing round my gate!

So, I decided to put some bait down, to get the better angles. One thing led to another ... blush Now? I go out there, every night and morning. I call them and the little vixen comes running! At night, thinking I can't see her eyes in the dark, she lays six foot from where I put their food. Just like a little Dog.

You'll have seen that, on you tube, where that guy Has a pet wolverine? He works for some sort of place in the country. Entertains visitors with his wolverine bouncing all over him like a puppy. Amazing!

White 17; I found it on '123'. Found and watched the wolverine scene. Know what? Put a gun to my head and I'd have sworn up, down and sideways that that is Not the film I remember. Which, of course, would be a completely banal thing to come out with. Like, how many films have Ever been made, about fifty odd years ago, where a young lad fights a wolverine with a hatchet??? Just my distorted memory.

How in blazes did they get that wolverine to do all that though?! I know, in The Yearling, they threw a real Pit Bull at a real bear and filmed it. But, I can hardly see the director saying; " Okay, son. Just act natural when we chuck this wolverine on you. " grin
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
"Those Calloways" The best part of the film is the kid trapped all winter to make enough money to save the farm and the family thought they were going to make about ( I think $1800) on the furs and came home and got grilled by the wife and admitted they got burned for $400.

How many times has this happened to a trapper?

P.S. 1930's or so?

The weird thing is the film was anti-sport hunting for geese and pro trapping for livelihood. smile

I have read the book that movie is based on and in my opinion Disney ruined a very good story with all the changes they made to it

Re: Wolverine On Film? - 01/27/21 10:51 PM

Have not seen this movie for many years but it is burned in my mind as I was fascinated with trapping as a child. I have a solid memory not much I don’t remember.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums