Posted By: Flipper

Slide has started - 01/27/21 11:53 PM

Stock market has started its decline. Hang on middle class
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 12:02 AM

Hang onto what our ankles? (this might sting a little- maybe even a lot) sick
Posted By: Bob

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 12:12 AM

Another way to look at it, stocks are going on sale. The stock market is the only thing people aren’t glad to see go on sale. It always has come back better than ever and this time will be no different
Posted By: rex123

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 01:10 AM

The minute they pass the stimulus it will jump back up this time but sooner or later it will go on sale.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 01:18 AM

You have the correct attitude.
And you are historically correct, the caveat is that historically we've been governed by Dems and Repubs who both had capitalism as their core economic beliefs.
Dems more Keynesian, with gov't spending priming the economy, repubs more free market, private entrepreneurs priming the economy. I'm not so sure we have those circumstances today.
Your 3, and I hope you have the same positive investment results/rewards that we did.
Good Luck.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 01:24 AM

I was hoping that it would take them a year to screw thing up completely, but that dolt signing those stacks of executive orders is breaking the country in record time.

The upside is that it will make the math easier for an eventual holiday in Venezuela when the dollar if on a one to one exchange rate with the bolivar
Posted By: proratman

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 01:26 AM

The stock market slid down today because of Boeing.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:01 AM

Google Game Stop and Hedge Funds.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

I was wondering if anyone on here was on that ride.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:07 AM

This ^^^^
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:12 AM

I predict, the Dow will be under 30k at the end of the year. I sold today and plan to sell off my remaining positions tomorrow or Friday. Might pop in and out on occasion through the year on a "no-brainer", but I'm not risking my retirement fund on these idiots with only a few years to go. Love my ROTH for the flexibility of free trading!
Posted By: SE.Current

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:17 AM

I’m ditching GameStop tomorrow first thing. I’m holding out until after stimulus/tax returns to sell out everything else but it’s coming
Posted By: white17

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa

Yes I believe GME is the culprit.

So much money chasing this stock that the short squeeze has caused the liquidation of other long positions to cover the shorts.

I personally think trading in GME should be halted. If one of the really large hedge funds get trapped in this squeeze we could see another event like Long Term Capital Management in 1998.

I have to view this as a tradable event. Get out your shopping list and buy good companies at fair prices.

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 04:49 AM

Don’t go look at Doge coin. Another one of Elon’s pieces
Posted By: adam m

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 04:57 AM

I was thinking about this the last week. Need to get an ira but not sure if it's a good idea right now. The slide will continue all year. Lots of sell offs today. I predict by end of year the dow will be just over 20k. All of these EO's will kick us hard.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 05:17 AM

gas is up, market is down. more coming.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:08 AM

I’ll be buying this year. Historically the market is overdue for a correction, best time to get in is when everyone else is getting scared and pulling their money out.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I’ll be buying this year. Historically the market is overdue for a correction, best time to get in is when everyone else is getting scared and pulling their money out.

Later this year, and it might be sooner than later, I'm sure there will be some deeply discounted stocks. Right now, I am up more than 40% for the past 9 months. Stupid to ride out the inevitable, at this point. I will pull back, and reinvest prudently. If you don't have but $100/mo to invest and no big nest egg, by all means, buy away. With a long time horizon this next 3-4 years will be but a blip.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 01:44 PM

My son made a bundle on it.

Osky

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:33 PM

Trading halted just now @ 0931 ET on GME
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:37 PM

This. Considering moves made by new administration, future of market looks dim, but this isn't it.....yet.

Large Wall Street hedge funds have developed this market strategy where they gang up on a failing stock.....say Game Stop. Say its trading at $20 a share. They start selling short......selling stock they don't have. Supply (sellers selling) starts driving the price down. They then drive it all the way into the ground......say $2 a share, then start buying to cover their shorts. They make $18 a share profit no different than if they bought at $2 and rode it up to $20. And destroy company after company in the process. Think of it as administering a dispatch shot. BTW, for movie buffs, this was the same trick Louis and Valentine played on the Duke Bros. in Trading Places with orange juice futures.

So a bunch of small investors, mom and pop, kids, etc. got together on a Reddit forum and looked at stocks that had the largest number of short positions, and they ganged up on the big guys. About a million of them. They started buying.....stock now going straight up and short positions losing money hand over fist. Soaring stock creates it's own wind sucking in speculative buyers. Hedge funds can't get out and losing millions by the minute. So now they got to sell to cover losses. So that is why you got Game Stop going from $2 a share to $350 in a matter of days..........and a sell off of stocks to cover all those losses. Once the dust settles, money will be made on Game Stop coming back down. Where it is today is way out of whack with earnings.

So this door swings both ways. Folks that made millions off Game Stop Trade looking for more Hedge Fund shorts and will be doing it again.

So don't get too excited.....yet.
Posted By: trap-alaska

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:39 PM

Does anyone know of an ETF to short he market? I agree with most of the sentiment that the market will rise in the long term but I wouldn't mind being a little more defensive and trying to bet on a market pull back without shorting individual stocks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:51 PM

We prosper from continued pessimism. It drives the bulls grin
Beware when the euphoria begins and we are a long way from that.
I'm all in and have been all in for years.

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by trap-alaska
Does anyone know of an ETF to short he market? I agree with most of the sentiment that the market will rise in the long term but I wouldn't mind being a little more defensive and trying to bet on a market pull back without shorting individual stocks.

What you are looking for is called an "inverse ETF" I think there are about 10 of them currently. Beware though...........these are riskier than a vanilla ETF.

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 03:09 PM

doge coin just hit .02
Up 70% today

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 03:13 PM

laugh

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 04:54 PM

Robinhood Blocks Buying in GameStop, AMC, and Other Stocks. Other Brokers Also Add Guardrails.

Jan. 28, 2021 9:34 am ET , Barron's

Investing app Robinhood blocked access to GameStop and other highflying names on Thursday as trading surged among retail users.

The move comes after GameStop (GME) stock has shot higher over the past week, inspiring a short squeeze. The action -- driven by retail traders often using options -- has spread to other names like BlackBerry (BB), AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC), and Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY). Several of those stocks were falling in premarket trading after enormous run-ups in the past few days.

Users began reporting that they couldn’t trade GameStop and other stocks on Thursday. They got a message that “This stock is not supported on Robinhood.”

In a statement on Thursday, Robinhood detailed which stocks now had restrictions. “In light of recent volatility, we are restricting transactions for certain securities to position closing only,” the company said. These include AMC Entertainment, BlackBerry, Bed Bath & Beyond, Express (EXPR), GameStop, Koss (Koss), Naked Brand Group (NAKD), and Nokia (NOK).

“We also raised margin requirements for certain securities,” Robinhood said. The trading platform is raising margin requirements for investors in GameStop and AMC to 100%, Robinhood told Barron’s on Wednesday.

On Thursday morning, Robinhood was also reporting outages.

Other brokers have instituted similar restrictions. Interactive Brokers (IBKR) on Wednesday put AMC, BlackBerry, Express, GameStop, and Koss option trading into liquidation “due to the extraordinary volatility in the markets,” the company said.

“In addition, long stock positions will require 100% margin and short stock positions will require 300% margin until further notice,” the company said. “We do not believe this situation will subside until the exchanges and regulators halt or put certain symbols into liquidation only. We will continue to monitor market conditions and may add or remove symbols as may be warranted.”

TD Ameritrade (AMTD) also placed restrictions on some transactions in GameStop and other securities, the broker said on Wednesday. A spokeswoman didn’t specify exactly what the company was doing but said it could include “actions like increasing margin requirements, or limiting certain types of transactions, like short sales and those that may involve unlimited risk. It is not uncommon for us to make such decisions, which we consider on an individual basis, in the interest of mitigating risk.”

“We have been adjusting our requirements for several days as we continued to see trends indicating unusual volume in an unprecedented market environment, which appear to be divorced from traditional market fundamentals,” the company said. “We have made what we believe to be prudent and appropriate decisions to place some limits on certain transactions for certain securities.”

And fast-growing privately held broker Webull said it was limiting some activities, too.

“Webull has been very successful in limiting our intraday risk during the course of these events by not allowing any short positions in these volatile names since as early as Friday of last week,” CEO Anthony Denier told Barron’s. “Trading has been open for these stocks and uninterrupted amidst this volatility and the only new restrictions we have placed is not allowing market orders opening of new multi-leg option strategy positions.”

Robinhood has grown faster than the rest of the industry over the past year, attracting younger investors. Last year, it said it had more than 13 million account-holders, adding 3 million from January until May. The privately held broker was sued last month by a Massachusetts regulator on allegations that it encourages risky investing among its clientele. The company denied those allegations and said it does not recommend stocks.

On Wednesday night, Robinhood sent a notice to users directing them to educational products in light of the recent volatility.

One trader who has made money in the GameStop trade through his Webull account was frustrated by the new limits.

“It’s one thing if I had a pattern of misconduct, or a lot of violations. It’s another thing for you to tell me that you can’t trade this stock because we don’t like what’s happening to it,” Brandon Luczek, a 28-year-old who lives in Virginia, told Barron’s on Wednesday night. “That’s not for you to decide. I have my own personal risk tolerance.”

Others on reddit’s wallstreetbets forum lashed out at Robinhood. “How in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) is this legal? They are tanking our legitimately bought and held stocks/options by arbitrarily restricting trading,” one wrote.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 05:59 PM

Free market at work.

Oh wait, it's the free market protecting the elite.

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:07 PM

laugh

Some of each I think.

I certainly expect to see some law suits out of this one. But I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the brokerages are also protecting their customers.....which they have a legal obligation to do.

I have to lay a lot of the blame at the feet of the SEC . They should have stopped this last week. Now I suspect they will go back in time and bust a lot of the trades that were made. That will just make more people angry.

Bottom line is you better know what you are getting into when you start using leverage and also understand the legal possibilities that could work against you.

On the other hand, there is a lot of schadenfreude involved in seeing the hedgies get their heads handed to them.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:08 PM

The little guys gave them a black-eye at their own game.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Free market at work.

Oh wait, it's the free market protecting the elite.

Crony Capitalism..
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:13 PM

As gas goes up prices will rise people will have less discretionary money to spend. History is repeating itself. With all the green new deal going on energy prices are going to go up. All the money being spent by our government will result in inflation. Remember what it was like in the years leading up to 2008 recession.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:21 PM

If they don't do something they get sued by investers saying we didn't know they didn't tell us and if they step up they have investers screaming it's my right to do what I want.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 06:49 PM

So they shut out the little guys?

Saw a report on Fox Biz.....the hedge funds had shorted Game Stop 140%. I'm not sure I understand what that means exactly, but on the surface, it would suggest they had sold an amount equal to 100% of all outstanding stock, plus 40% more. So when they had to liquidate the short trades, the stock they needed to buy to cancel out didn't exist. Goliaths set themselves up to be plucked like a chicken and a whole bunch of Baby David's were doing just that and got shut down?

And somehow the hedge funds managed to go short that far and nobody did anything to stop them? Little guys got a valid complaint.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 07:00 PM

Lawsuit filed already on the Gamestop Deal.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 07:06 PM

No wonder trappers are so poor.

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 07:07 PM

I know it sounds impossible to be short more than 100% but it isn't. Because the same 100 shares can be shorted multiple times..

There were shares available to cover the short positions but not at prices that the shorts were willing to pay. That is where the shorts got in trouble. The shorts COULD have and SHOULD have been hedging but for decades Wall Street has thought so little of retail traders that they rarely hedged against retail trades. This time it came back to bite them.Arrogance plain & simple

The little guys have somewhat of a valid complaint. They are still able to close their positions but can't initiate new ones. That is actually an attempt to protect the little guys. Of course they don't see it that way because they only want to add fuel to the fire. Eventually they will burn down themselves if that continues.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 07:53 PM

Unfortunately, blameless people are getting hurt because hedge funds are liquidating positions in names that have no real reason to fall. The money to cover those shorts has to come from somewhere! There will also be a lot of retail investors holding GME they bought for $300 that they can only sell for something much less than $300. Life does come with a modicum of risk.

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 08:21 PM

I just wrote an order to buy 100 shares of GME. No restrictions showed up to prevent it. I did not enter the order.

Then I wrote an order to sell short 100 shares and that order also was not restricted. I did not enter either order. I was just curious to see if my broker would prevent them.

There is only the up-tick rule currently in force that slows down short sales.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Slide has started - 01/28/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kre
No wonder trappers are so poor.

It must be different in Wisconsin, most of the trappers I know live comfortably.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 01:03 AM

I always have to laugh when things like this happen in the stock exchange and all of a sudden someone stops it because they are losing too much money, sometimes I wish they would get into the commodity markets then you’ll find out what bad is when they do this all the time, and remember the CME in Chicago can take everything you own for their margins there is no safety net they let ride. I know of more than one person who lost it all, and for example one lost over 1000 acres, his house, machinery, and the crop and had to live on the charity of others for about 5 years till he could get back on his feet to just survive on his own.
Posted By: Iowagian

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by hippie
The little guys gave them a black-eye at their own game.

Peasants aren't allowed to manipulate the market to gain some wealth. Only the professionals can do that.

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 01:35 AM

I always have to laugh when things like this happen in the stock exchange and all of a sudden someone stops it because they are losing too much money, sometimes I wish they would get into the commodity markets then you’ll find out what bad is when they do this all the time, and remember the CME in Chicago can take everything you own for their margins there is no safety net they let ride. I know of more than one person who lost it all, and for example one lost over 1000 acres, his house, machinery, and the crop and had to live on the charity of others for about 5 years till he could get back on his feet to just survive on his own.

True story there !! Futures are a game that can cost you everything you ever hope to have.

On the other hand, there are legitimate uses such as selling a crop forward or locking in costs ahead of time.

That's different than speculation. But.............speculation also provides liquidity and price discovery as well as hedging opportunities and risk shifting
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 01:59 AM

After what I learned today and what the big boys did to stop loosing billions I’m depressed a bit. GameStop got the old Trump treatment and it’s absolutely infuriating

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
After what I learned today and what the big boys did to stop loosing billions I’m depressed a bit. GameStop got the old Trump treatment and it’s absolutely infuriating

But not surprising. Hope you didn't get hurt too badly
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 04:41 AM

There is an interesting take on youtube about this subject but I don't know how to post a link...Take it for what its worth but don't shoot the messenger..
SONYPodcastS # 2390_A
Posted By: warrior

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 11:29 AM

Maybe I'm a simpleton but I remember way back in 9th grade having to do a paper on the causes of the crash of 29 that led to the great depression and thinking just how stupid it is buying something without forking over the full amount in cash. As long as you can buy no money down for future delivery you're going to have some jackleg gaming the system.

Re: Slide has started - 01/29/21 02:22 PM

That's true warrior but that isn't what happened here. This is more like the tulip mania in 1636. The madness of crowds etc.

What makes this interesting is that the hedge fund guys were operating within the law while the mob.......may not have been. Normally, it would be just the opposite.

Whatever happens, it needs resolution, as this is a very dangerous game for everyone. Not just those directly involved.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums