Home

Howe to longline

Posted By: Ethan1234

Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:03 AM

What is the best way to startto become a longliner
Posted By: Boco

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:05 AM

Buy lots of traps and get on several traplines.

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:07 AM

Ok thanks
Posted By: Boco

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:13 AM

You also need to really manage your time well,especially if you're putting up all your fur.
Also good to have back up equipment so you dont get stuck with downtime due to breakdowns.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:18 AM

Have a nice fat retirement,so you don't have to worry about making money.
Posted By: banchee

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:26 AM

figure out where you want to long line use maps use google maps etc, figure out cost of gas and time involved versus fur caught on the route time involved to drive the route and time involved with puttin the fur up, go to conventions buy your traps used at reduced prices, plan a route and lay the steel in areas on the route where you feel or know you willbe sucsessful weither fox, coyote beaver mink etc etc .the cost versus profit must be take in to consideration also your time
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:26 AM

Longlining for fur is simply not profitable now. Longlining when large landowners are paying you to remove predators is just as fun and is profitable.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:59 AM

Contact USDA or go on line for a job as a Government Trapper. IF you are willing to move out west. You can run as many traps as you want
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 04:56 AM

Set a few extra traps every check and after a couple months you’ll be longlining whether you like it or not lol.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Contact USDA or go on line for a job as a Government Trapper. IF you are willing to move out west. You can run as many traps as you want

When I looked a few yrs ago there were 8 openings east of the MS River. 2 here in NC.

I earned a good living with work our local USDA guy couldn’t keep up with since the DOT came first in his book.
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Longlining for fur is simply not profitable now. Longlining when large landowners are paying you to remove predators is just as fun and is profitable.

Quick question off topic for you Swamp Wolf since your a GA boy too. Do you sell your fur? I have never tried it since all the local older trappers in my area here swear there is no market at all for southern fur.

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:46 PM

How much does agovernment trapper make a year
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 03:58 PM

Hit the lottery
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 04:09 PM

A career as a longline trapper is easy. The money just rolls in, plus there are extra benefits - luxury homes, fast cars, and beautiful women.

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 04:30 PM

Yeah right i aint never known a longliner trapper that owned all that unless they were the buttler
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 04:33 PM

I'd be looking to move to a state that has a 48 hour trap check minimum.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by T-REV
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Quick question off topic for you Swamp Wolf since your a GA boy too. Do you sell your fur? I have never tried it since all the local older trappers in my area here swear there is no market at all for southern fur.

Yes...always have. Now its Groenewold Fur Co. They run a buying route thru Ga in March. Beaver and otter pelts bought green and frozen. All else must be dried. Check their website for more info.

A little Ga fur selling history: back in late 70s, 80s and even into the early 90s I sold a lot of fur to Plott Fur Co. They were based out of Griffin, Ga and they ran a buying route to South Ga thru the 80s. Had to drive to Griffin to sell to them in the early 90s. I dont believe they buy fur any longer. There were a handful of other Ga buyers back then too...RM Horne and Sons Fur Co, Arnold's Fur, and a couple more that I cant remember names that bought into the 80s.

Sold many pelts to Jerry Lee of Alma, Ga in late 90s.....many, many pelts. For years Jerry was the only licensed fur buyer in Ga. He sold his supply business and stopped buying fur a few years ago.

Also in the late 90s I began shipping to NAFA. Did very well on this southern fur for about 15 years. Some top prices: $180 Ga cats, $140 otter, $45 grey fox, $28 coon, etc. That wasnt every year but 2010 -2012 was special.

Have also shipped/sold pelts to Southeastern Outdoor Supply in Va and to RP Outdoors in La in the 90s.

Now, with the current market situation GFWC is the best option to sell southern fur. Its very cheap now, but there is a market.

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 06:39 PM

Heck yeah those were nice prices
Posted By: Mac

Re: Howe to longline - 01/29/21 07:03 PM

You had some pretty good advice given. You did not mention your experience level.
If it were I, I would l take instruction from someone doing what you want to do.

As mentioned above, long line trapping for fur is probably just about impossible. I know some really good, professional guys that will tell you the same thing.
I do not personally know anyone that does heavy duty ADC work.

I do know several fur trappers that give instruction

I guess I would contact LT Grey, Steeltraps, Swamp wolf, Steve Phillips, and see if they could offer insight of who to talk to or go to. Heck, they maybe even would give instruction.

If I were forty or fifty years younger I would be looking to learn ADC like those guys. Or look for a government trapping position.
If you want to make a million trapping fur, you better start with two or three million.
Good luck.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums