Home

After reading lady123 retirement

Posted By: wamp

After reading lady123 retirement - 01/29/21 11:52 PM

How many of us on here are retired and how long.. Come end of February will be retired 9 years, working part time 30 to 32 hours pet week.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 12:11 AM

I'm 67 and still working for the State of Wisconsin. Really tough to leave working a schedule of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday...every weekend is a 4-day weekend. For about the last 11 months I have been working at home with a 15-step commute in the morning. Really enjoy my job and will probably hang in there for a while yet.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 12:15 AM

Pulled the plug on full time job in August of 2007, Was 65 and 8 months.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 12:20 AM

I retired from the military in January 1992 at the age of 42. Went straight into beaver'n full time, then after dad passed in 1997, I got Dobbins' Products. I had a lot more free time before I retired from the military - lol.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 12:50 AM

68 now pulled the plug at 62 and not looked back.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 12:54 AM

I知 62, retired from the mining industry when I was 54. I started underground 22 days after my 18th birthday. Only real full time job I ever had.
Posted By: SE.Current

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:00 AM

My ol man retires in 3 months when he turns 58. I got a rats nest of copper wire for us to strip, that痴 his retirement party.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:02 AM

2 years here retired at 63.
Posted By: Boco

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:03 AM

Took a RR pension in 2012.
Far from retired though.Still trap,do fur work,and nuisance trapping.
Do it all on MY schedule now-that is the beauty of it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:03 AM

8 years for me retired at 58.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:07 AM

I know I'm early. June of 2022. Will be 60. Would work longer but would lose my health benefits, they are changing the formula.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:10 AM

Retired two years ago after 40 years in the Steelworkers Union.
Posted By: coyoteguy

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:12 AM

i rented my farm out and retired 12 years ago at age 54. Been enjoying life since. When asked how i like retirement i say it's great but the pay isn't as good. lol
Posted By: Gulo

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:21 AM

Retired from Alaska in 2008 at age 53. Been doing contract wolfing (mostly catch-and-release collaring) on my schedule ever since in various places in the world (Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, Mongolia). Hopefully, I pulled the pin on that gig after last summer. Looking forward to down-sizing my contracting work, and spending more time catfishing, fur trapping, and snake wrangling before I take the big dirt nap.

Jack
Posted By: randy r

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:26 AM

I retired in 2013 from the railroad at 60 ,have been retired for 7 yrs. Every since I retired the fur market has been in the crapper.
Posted By: EdP

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:26 AM

Retired at the end of Sept 2010 at age 56 and have not been employeed since. Been doing what I wanted and have no problem staying as busy as I can stand.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:27 AM

Retirement is for old people. At age 74 I still get a paycheck. Can't remember missing any since June of 1966. I may stop working when I tip over,
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 02:21 AM

I知 55 with a little over 33 years at my job. Absolutely hate what I do. I知 fully vested and as soon as I can find something else to do I知 going to get out of this crap hole. I値l either try to find a couple of part time gigs or a decent full time job.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 02:32 AM

I'm 69, was forced out 11 years ago. Went from a BIG bottle of Tums a week to maybe one tablet a month. My wife retired a year ago at 65. We managed our money/savings to the point that we are better off now than when we were working. We have three kids that are all doing well. No grand kids, just grand dogs. Three black labs and a black standard poodle.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 02:33 AM

Good grief! Nearly everyone on Tman is OLD! Trappers are a dying breed.

I'll be retired in July 2022. I'll be 57.
Posted By: SJA

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Retirement doesn't necessarily mean you're old. It indicates that you had, or have, the means and availability to do so comfortably AND the desire to do so.

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by SJA

Retirement doesn't necessarily mean you're old. It indicates that you had, or have, the means and availability to do so comfortably AND the desire to do so.

SJA,
How many on Tman do you know that are retired and younger than 50s based on this and the other thread about retiring.

Most of us on Tman are 50 plus...

My post wasnt about who has enough means to retire.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 03:38 AM

Retired from the military in 2017, just turned 41 living the dream hunting fishing and trapping

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
Retired from the military in 2017, just turned 41 living the dream hunting fishing and trapping

Well SW, I guess now I know 2 :-)
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 03:49 AM

Wasn't trying to contribute to that discussion fellas just stating my situation

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
Wasn't trying to contribute to that discussion fellas just stating my situation

Hey, that's cool :-)

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 04:03 AM

SJA,
If thats you in the pic on your posts, then who is the other under 50 you know...?

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 04:05 AM

SJA,
If thats you in the pic on your posts, then who is the other under 50 you know...?

Let's try this again so I'll be sure to understand what you're asking. Are you asking who on TM is currently retired AND under the age of 50? . . . OR, who on TM retired under the age of 50?

. . . No, that pic is of Red Green :-)
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 06:34 AM

Geeze
Posted By: waggler

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 07:47 AM

What's the definition of retirement?
Posted By: wamp

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 12:24 PM

Good question waggler .I retired from law enforcement after 33 years at the age of 60 I was total invested in retirement pension. Had several small jobs to do for myself and family members that kept me busy for about 5 months. Had a month or so off nothing but haul off trash and mow yard then it stared bothering me mentally had to find part time work. Work for a great company work the hours that I want as long as my work is done they are happy and so an I. Work 4 or5 hours a day
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:20 PM

I did less work when I was working but had 10X the aggravation. lol
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:22 PM

The way the stock market is looking I may end up working until I知 80 or so...I知 53 now, lol!!
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 01:39 PM

64 , retired for health reasons 41 years of welding working in a steel shop.
Posted By: snowy

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 02:04 PM

I retired early at 57 been bumming for 4.5 years. I log well over 300 days a year in the fishing, trapping, hunting and being in the outdoors each year and the rest of the days at the ranch. My time is more valuable then any pay check. Time is short here on earth and the only regret I have is that I didn't jump off earlier.
Posted By: imissed

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 02:13 PM

Been retired 1 year now. Did 42 years at my former job. Retired at 60 and then the Covid hit. Haven't done much because of it. Hoping '21 will be better!!
Posted By: gman

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 02:26 PM

Retired in 2009 at 56-never regretted it for a second.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 04:30 PM

Retired at 55 19 years ago. No regrets either.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/30/21 04:56 PM

Retired in 2006 at the ripe age of 51. Best move I ever made!
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 01:39 AM

i'm still (again) working at age 74.

I first retired at age 50 (I think) but, sucked at it. To make a long story short. I tried to retire at least a half dozen times, but, Got told me " You must work to eat. Work six days and rest upon the seventh."

Regardless of that, My life requires a certain amount of structure or I get fat and lazy, a sure recipe for an early grave.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 02:17 AM

I was forced out in 5 years ago, I知 69 now. Was really (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) on how I was let go.Having fun w a new granddaughter. Have trouble remembering what day it is some days.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 06:49 PM

The end of April will mark my 11th year of retirement.
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 07:01 PM

Retired in 2015, state job, now my life is trapping, hunting and trout fishing.
Posted By: BW55

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 07:13 PM

Nothing better than checking traps in the daylight and gobbler hunting mid morning-have been for 5 years now
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 07:21 PM

Retired just b4 trapping season started in 2014 at the age of 58 been trapping, hunting, or in woods or at a camp somewhere in the US ever since!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by GARY M.
Retired in 2015, state job, now my life is trapping, hunting and trout fishing.

My goals in 7-8 more years. Of course, minus the trout fishing, we don稚 have those down here.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 07:40 PM

Retired in April at 56. 35 years with USDA. I still have a farm. Love it.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 08:16 PM

Retired 17 yrs ago at 53 with 35 yrs in. People would ask me how is retirement going. I would say "If I knew it was going to be this much fun I would of done it 3yrs earlier." laugh
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
The end of April will mark my 11th year of retirement.

I remember when you retired, but I thought was 4 or 5 years ago. Time is flying by.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 01/31/21 09:55 PM

I'm 67 and still work full time in the large copper mine here on the west side of the city. Most here think me foolish for working. And can't wait for their retirement, I can't even understand them just sitting around like they describe they wish to do, LOL

However I enjoy the work, I feel it helps keep me agile and hostile LOL, the money is great and I'm already taking my SS due to my full retirement age with out penalty. I do not work any OT and allows me time for other things.

I also still work part time on will call making gas ion Lasers for all types of applications, yet still find time to do my squeaker and leather work for my website.

I can still find time to hunt as well and enjoy my family and grand kids.

Time is what you make of it and not to be foolishly wasted wondering about it !!
Posted By: waggler

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 12:22 AM

I feel like I've been retired since I graduated high school in '76.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
I feel like I've been retired since I graduated high school in '76.

You've been Blessed!!!

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
I'm 67 and still work full time in the large copper mine here on the west side of the city. Most here think me foolish for working. And can't wait for their retirement, I can't even understand them just sitting around like they describe they wish to do, LOL

However I enjoy the work, I feel it helps keep me agile and hostile LOL, the money is great and I'm already taking my SS due to my full retirement age with out penalty. I do not work any OT and allows me time for other things.

I also still work part time on will call making gas ion Lasers for all types of applications, yet still find time to do my squeaker and leather work for my website.

I can still find time to hunt as well and enjoy my family and grand kids.

Time is what you make of it and not to be foolishly wasted wondering about it !!

Is this the Mine near Salt Lake?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frank1969

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 01:27 AM

I'm done at 55 I'm 51 now so I'm counting down to live a free life after that

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 02:35 AM

This is kind of off topic but does relate to retirement. Most that I know that are still working in there late 60's and beyond are afraid to lose there identity because their work is who they are. Or one guy can't give up his leadership roll because he doesn't think anyone else can do his job. Some work because they are hoarders of money and see themselves as a king of wealth puts them which gives then the good feeling to be above most. And some that I know work because they have and absolutely need their job. Some work because they feel they can't stay busy and find a new way in life without a structured way and institutionalized that they know, no other way of life.

After saying all of that and people I know that fit each character described there isn't anything wrong doing any one of them for that reason. Do what makes you happy.

I do know, I for one, when I'm on my death bed, won't wish I had one more day at the office even thou I enjoyed my work each and every day. More to life then making someone else rich. Freedom to live each minute is a blessing.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
This is kind of off topic but does relate to retirement. Most that I know that are still working in there late 60's and beyond are afraid to lose there identity because their work is who they are. Or one guy can't give up his leadership roll because he doesn't think anyone else can do his job. Some work because they are hoarders of money and see themselves as a king of wealth puts them which gives then the good feeling to be above most. And some that I know work because they have and absolutely need their job. Some work because they feel they can't stay busy and find a new way in life without a structured way and institutionalized that they know, no other way of life.

After saying all of that and people I know that fit each character described there isn't anything wrong doing any one of them for that reason. Do what makes you happy.

I do know, I for one, when I'm on my death bed, won't wish I had one more day at the office even thou I enjoyed my work each and every day. More to life then making someone else rich. Freedom to live each minute is a blessing.

This is a "keeper".^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 05:19 AM

retiring march 2021. 60 days to go
Posted By: Scout1

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 05:36 AM

Being I'm one of the young pups on here at 49 with around 11 more years of Bringing Good Things To Life. I ask a lot of people retiring for one thing they would do different before retiring. Almost all say save more money and few mention health. I enjoy seeing some of the old guys around town that I used to work with. But if you more senior retired ladies and gentlemen wouldn't mind to give some tips on what you might have done differently? Save more, pay off house, exercise........... Good Luck on retirement!
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 08:08 AM

In three years I will retire from hunting, trapping and fishing. A warm tropical island sounds like more fun. I did retire from trapping, prices suck. I also got out of fur buying ,I started Alaska's largest raw fur company, that continues on still today.

I have three other businesses I will have to shut down, or get my daughter to take over if she wants. I enjoyed what I do and worked at every job I dreamed of as a young boy. I would continue on for awhile yet, but I like change. I get bored easy.
Posted By: topknot

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 12:26 PM

Congrats to all those that have been able to retire. I hope that the ability to retire and not "have to work" is attainable in the future. I wonder out of all those that have retired how many are only able to do so because of a pension? Social security is a joke, pensions are rare anymore.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 12:34 PM

I retired in August of 2018 at 62. Was a tech with the phone company for 34 years and then an Airport manager for 9 years and now I am so busy having fun I don't have time for anything else.
Posted By: Donnie Shafer

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 02:14 PM

Waiting to turn 60,about a year and 1/2 to go
Posted By: teepee2

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by topknot
Congrats to all those that have been able to retire. I hope that the ability to retire and not "have to work" is attainable in the future. I wonder out of all those that have retired how many are only able to do so because of a pension? Social security is a joke, pensions are rare anymore.
The normal plan for retirement was always, SS, pension, savings. You are right about pensions being rare anymore. So that puts more emphasis on savings. If your employer has a 401K, fund it as much as possible.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 04:11 PM

So far planning on July this year. No pension and no health care. SS and maybe going on the wife's health plan from her work. I will be 64. She retires, current plan, Jan 1 of 22. No pension or health care. Our combines SS will cover a little over half our expected needed income. I'm 65 Apr. 22 and she is 65 xmas 22. Income outside of SS will be our retirement accounts which are currently in good shape. Maybe with enough fairy dust our puppet president will keep the stock market in good shape.
We are fortunate to each own property here in Alaska that is not assessed a property tax. We also hope to do some traveling and the sale of our current home will fund some new f that.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 04:19 PM

On the other side of the coin,I have worked with many 30-50 year olds that every day want to go home early, and volunteer to miss days if work is slow.Then cry about not having any or enough money.

Re: After reading lady123 retirement - 02/01/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011

On the other side of the coin,I have worked with many 30-50 year olds that every day want to go home early, and volunteer to miss days if work is slow.Then cry about not having any or enough money.

That is a complete 180 degree in a different direction. We are talking about people that could retire or of age to retire is to the reference I made.

As far as dead beats and people that want hands and do anything from wanting to work is a completely different subject and people you are talking about don't fit the criteria described.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums