Home

Fur put up questions

Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:22 AM

I just put up my first rat and had a few questions I could find in the archives. I was planning on selling to groney they don't come again till February how should I store my furs till they come through my town.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:27 AM

Once it's dry just hang from a nail or something in a cool dry place and you'll be fine. If you've got a bunch of rats you can stack them in a paper bag.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:27 AM

So long as you put them up well they can be stored anywhere that’s cool and dry. I generally just keep mine in my garage. They’ll last for a good long time that way. I’ve even kept coyotes in the garage over a year, still got the same money for those as I did my fresh ones.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:31 AM

Took a 1X2 strip of lumber and put cup holder hooks a couple inches apart to hold my rats and always keep a fan going in the room.

Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:41 AM

Thank you. Is 60-64 cool enough?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:44 AM

Yes
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 12:49 AM

You should keep an eye out for pests, like moths. Also watch the humidity to prevent mold. Even pelts that are perfectly handled can be subject to problems under the right conditions.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Fur put up questions - 01/30/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Took a 1X2 strip of lumber and put cup holder hooks a couple inches apart to hold my rats and always keep a fan going in the room.

That's the best way. it keeps them up and out of the way for mice, keeps them separate for mold prevention, and you can visually monitor them.
Do all furs this way, cept beaver, just adjust the spacing as required.
You can take finish nails, drive them in part way, then take a linesman pliers and bend them to obtain the "hook" part of law Dog's method.
Fan IN THE ROOM, not blowing directly on the furs.
You're in Northern Wis, my guess is this time of year humidity isn't going to be an issue, But if you're going to continue onward and upward in catching and processing fur, you might want to invest in a temp/humidity gauge for the shed. pick up some cheap fans at garage sales.
Good Luck.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums