Home

Pics from the past More pics added on pg 2

Posted By: LLtrapper

Pics from the past More pics added on pg 2 - 02/04/21 01:36 PM

Well I thought I would put up some pictures from a few past seasons that I long lined here in IA. It is blizzarding out and I was bored so I hope you guys enjoy looking back like I did. I have posted some of these before but thought I would share them again.
A few mink...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And a few coon pics.......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope you enjoy. I may add my rats, coyotes and beaver pics later if I have time. LLL
Posted By: waggler

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 01:41 PM

Those beautiful Iowa coon, I can smell those stacks of skin just by seeing the pictures.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 01:51 PM

A nice pile of put up coons is one of my favorite things in the world.
Thanks for the pics!
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 01:51 PM

Looking good. "Success comes before work only in the dictionary". Snowing heavy up here now but we are due. Very cold temperatures to follow.

Chris
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 01:55 PM

My hands hurt looking at all that fur. LOL great pics
Posted By: 080808

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:03 PM

What year and how were prices? Great pics.
Posted By: ksp107

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:10 PM

Those mink pics are unreal!

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
What year and how were prices? Great pics.

I have long lined since 2009. These pics are from that time to last season. I believe I hit a lick at NAFA in 2013 that I averaged 51.00 to as low as -7.00 when they sent me a bad check a couple years ago and my bank charged me a fee. I have sold over 16 thousand coon in that period of time that I have recorded and paid taxes on. LLL
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:18 PM

I’ve always enjoyed your pics, thanks for posting.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:22 PM

Wow, amazing catches and I can appreciate the amount of work you put in. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:23 PM

Amazing photos
Posted By: Kong

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:34 PM

LL, as I look at the snow out my office window in Des Moines, those pics bring a great big smile. Some day I would like to share a pot of coffee and here the stories. Who taught trappers in SW Iowa how to trap mink? Several of you in that area that can pile up the mink.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:38 PM

Bud Hall taught my mentor the late Gene Purdy as well as Ron Hanson. We have less of a population than Northern IA here or there would be even bigger piles. LLL
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 02:58 PM

Lot of work right there, lot of satisfaction and good memories as well. Nicely done..
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 03:09 PM

I can't image having to skin that many anything.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 03:15 PM

Boss man didn't dub you the Coon Combine for nuthin I see
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing. You are one of the greats. The logistics and time management have to be so exact to make a one man system as yours work. I know of one other man who catches the numbers you do but he does not finish them. Throws them in a pile and a buyer picks them up every day.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 04:45 PM

Nice paydays there.
Posted By: swamp

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 05:20 PM

Incredible photos ! Thanks for sharing !
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 05:53 PM

Great photos, those were great days back then. Most will never know what it’s like to work that hard and enjoy it.

B
Posted By: Crortvedt05

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 06:14 PM

Now this is sweet, good post, thanks for sharing, much more entertaining than all the political crap!
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 06:15 PM

Flat out impressive!!!

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 08:36 PM

I found a few more of last season.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: zook

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 08:47 PM

Nice. Nobody ever post pics on here anymore. There used to be pages of trapping pics.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 08:49 PM

Thanks for sharing.

How many miles in a season?????

B

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by zook
Nice. Nobody ever post pics on here anymore. There used to be pages of trapping pics.

I know. I thought I would guide us back to talking about trapping. It is a love of mine but I only am wired to trap one way and that is long lining. It costs a lot of money to do it though. LLL

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BBarnes
Thanks for sharing.

B

I have three 120 mile lines. LLL
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 08:59 PM

My heart still skips a beat when I see a mink underwater like that. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Originally Posted by BBarnes
Thanks for sharing.

B

I have three 120 mile lines. LLL

And several pairs of gloves, boots snacks and determination!!!!!

Thanks
B

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
My heart still skips a beat when I see a mink underwater like that. Thanks for sharing.

I love to look at a pocket that is missing a trap and I see mink tracks where the trap was. I look and the slide wire and do not see a swivel and then you know. No better feeling on the line even when you have seen it thousands of times. LLL
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

I love to look at a pocket that is missing a trap and I see mink tracks where the trap was. I look and the slide wire and do not see a swivel and then you know. No better feeling on the line even when you have seen it thousands of times. LLL

Well said!
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by zook

I know. I thought I would guide us back to talking about trapping. It is a love of mine but I only am wired to trap one way and that is long lining. It costs a lot of money to do it though. LLL

How many traps you run
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 10:44 PM

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/04/21 11:45 PM

Ethan I try and have 150 traps a line give or take. LLL
Posted By: nate

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 01:02 AM

LLtrapper that is way cool thanks for sharing.
The coon combine, I say the mad trapper.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 01:30 AM

great thread and pics. Your work ethic should be an inspiration to anyone that views this. Have a good day from NC
Posted By: scratch n dent

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 02:17 AM

With only 3 lines, how long until you need to move to fresh ground? I only have PA experience where my 1 long line each year is dead after a week (roughly 100 coon).

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by scratch n dent
With only 3 lines, how long until you need to move to fresh ground? I only have PA experience where my 1 long line each year is dead after a week (roughly 100 coon).

I do not move them at all. It takes three days to run all three. LLL
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 02:37 AM

Thanks for sharing Larry. Makes a guy want to set traps
Posted By: Tray

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 02:38 AM

Thanks for posting, lots to be learned from your pictures.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 02:56 AM

And to think I was dreading having to skin my 3 coyotes from today on my way home from work. I couldn't imagine putting that much fur up. Great pics

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
And to think I was dreading having to skin my 3 coyotes from today on my way home from work. I couldn't imagine putting that much fur up. Great pics

I scrape fifty a day when the season is over
Posted By: gman

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 12:35 PM

It is a love of mine but I only am wired to trap one way and that is long lining.

My exact feelings on trapping LL. I doubt there are very many trappers that can relate to that.Or maybe even understand it.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by gman
It is a love of mine but I only am wired to trap one way and that is long lining.

My exact feelings on trapping LL. I doubt there are very many trappers that can relate to that.Or maybe even understand it.

Go big or stay home. LLL
Posted By: Kre

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by gman

You should share some of your trapping pics and put up fur pics.
Posted By: ksp107

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 03:01 PM

The amount of work that takes to make BIG catches like that, then put up all your fur is truly impressive! Not sure how old you are, but I'm 50 and know it would be a massive undertaking for me to rival what you do! The mental toughness you have is something we all can learn from!

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ksp107
The amount of work that takes to make BIG catches like that, then put up all your fur is truly impressive! Not sure how old you are, but I'm 50 and know it would be a massive undertaking for me to rival what you do! The mental toughness you have is something we all can learn from!

54. LLL
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 04:01 PM

Isn't Potawatomi Council Bluffs? I grew up in western Omaha and began sticking my toe in the trapping water on farms west of there. Didn't seem like the coon numbers were all that great there. Even dabbled one fall around Lincoln. This was in the 75-78 years.
How is the selling going this year? Are you selling all fully prepped, dried? Auction? Local, Growny?
Thanks for the pics. Entertaining and ducational.

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Isn't Potawatomi Council Bluffs? I grew up in western Omaha and began sticking my toe in the trapping water on farms west of there. Didn't seem like the coon numbers were all that great there. Even dabbled one fall around Lincoln. This was in the 75-78 years.
How is the selling going this year? Are you selling all fully prepped, dried? Auction? Local, Growny?
Thanks for the pics. Entertaining and ducational.

Did not set a coon trap this year. Waste of time and money in my opinion. I do not kill for fun. LLL
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 04:56 PM

Fun???

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by nimzy
Fun???

Yea fun. Too many are quick to say they do it for the sport. Sports are usually equated with fun. That is not something I want any part of. It is fun to trap but it is simply a commercial undertaking when done like I do it. Not much fun to work sun up to sun down plus for no money and I consider it a lot of work. LLL
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Pics from the past - 02/05/21 07:24 PM

Great pics! Here are some from my extremely short line this year.

Attached picture 3A0899F9-79AF-4A31-BEB0-ED9750DF3482.jpeg
Attached picture 70991844-76F7-42F8-9485-6D25FDF0B499.jpeg
Attached picture A65E0C5F-887D-4295-AC84-07E1EF4117DA.jpeg
Attached picture ED16C18B-1634-4FA1-93D6-DEF0556A7D9A.jpeg
Posted By: gman

Re: Pics from the past - 02/06/21 02:42 AM

Go big or stay home. LLL------------exactly!

You should share some of your trapping pics and put up fur pics.

KRE--Maybe if I had some-but I don't
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Pics from the past - 02/06/21 03:08 AM

Nice trucks loads of mink and coon Larry they look like mine on days end but im on the other side of the state

Re: Pics from the past - 02/06/21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Minklongliner
Nice trucks loads of mink and coon Larry they look like mine on days end but im on the other side of the state

Feel free to put some pictures up. LLL
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Pics from the past - 02/06/21 05:56 PM

Don't know how too on this site some pictures would blow people minds that I have

Re: Pics from the past - 02/06/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Minklongliner
Don't know how too on this site some pictures would blow people minds that I have

Careful now. Some do not realize confidence and arrogance are often mistaken. Not so bad here as another place you frequent but .... LLL
Posted By: RonH

Re: Pics from the past - 02/07/21 12:14 AM

Did not set a coon trap this year. Waste of time and money in my opinion. I do not kill for fun. LLL[/quote]

Did you trap other species this year?

And thanks for sharing pictures and comments.
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Pics from the past - 02/07/21 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by RonH

Did not set a coon trap this year. Waste of time and money in my opinion. I do not kill for fun. LLL

Did you trap other species this year?

And thanks for sharing pictures and comments. [/quote]

You might not but you would have to love trapping or else you wouldnt do it cause i trap as a hobby to keep my self out of trouble if im to busy buying trapping stuff and trapping than i cant do dumb things with my money

Re: Pics from the past - 02/07/21 03:46 PM

I trapped a few nuisance beaver at 125.00 each but did not set any other traps. This was on one of my hunting areas or I would not have done that. LLL
Posted By: 4 Fur

Re: Pics from the past - 02/08/21 04:25 PM

Great pictures, Larry! I always figured you were too busy carrying coon up the bank to take any on the line pictures. I suppose this was taken 12 years ago. You haven't changed much...

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums