Home

$99.00 shotgun

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

$99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:18 AM

After checking out many Youtube videos, I pulled the trigger and got a Hatfield single shot 12 gauge shotgun. $99.00 at the local Wally world store. I wanted a simple cheap shotgun to leave out at my little off grid cabin. I bug out there a lot, not too far from work and home. I don't like getting into the safe for a gun and dragging ammo along for a 1 or 2 day stay. Just a camp gun, for a spur of the moment coyote, squirrel, rabbit or deer hunt. Not my task specific weapon, but with a variety of ammo left at the cabin it will make do. If ever the cabin is found and robbed I am not out much. So anyway this gun folds up small, easy to hide. has a walnut furniture, vent rib and after adjusting the 8# trigger down to 4#, I shot a wide variety of shells today. I can easily take a deer out to 50 yards, good # 4, #6 and #7 1/2 patterns and #3 and 00 buckshot patterns were nice. The slugs were just 2 3/4 rifled Foster slugs. I did shop around a while for a older brand name single shot like a NEF, old Stevens, H&R anything I found was north of $200 or more for a single shot. Long story short, I am really impressed with this made in Turkey Walmart shotgun. Going to toss a sling on it, a slip on recoil pad and a Tru Glo front bead sight and hang it on the wall at camp. A small ammo box with a mix of ammo. Walmart has a Youth model 500 Mossberg pump 20 gauge for $199.00 great pricing in todays market. The gun rack was full. the ammo shelf was empty, other than 3 1/2 inch Winchester waterfowl #2 and BB steel shot for $12.00 a box.
Posted By: Boco

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:24 AM

Make sure you wear safety glasses for when it blows up in your face.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Do you have one? Did you have one? or do you know someone it happened to?

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:35 AM

No that was just a nice way of saying you usually get what you pay for.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:46 AM

How much did he pay for your opinion?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:46 AM

I don't own one but I have heard of and watched a lot of reviews with most being positive. In the capacity that you plan to use the shotgun, it will serve you well but if stolen or the shack burns down you are not out 1000's of dollars.

Chris
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 01:54 AM

I bought one in .410 Grandson and me both like fooling with it. Reminds me of the H and R 12 gauge I bought at the Gibsons store in salida Co. close to 50 years ago for 35 bucks. I still shoot it too.

[Linked Image]

4 muzzle loading balls shot at 35 yards with it
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:05 AM

Good for you! I'm sure it will be great for what you wanted. Reliable too.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:09 AM

Well, that was STUPID!!

To the OP, cool, show us a pic.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:12 AM

Feedinggrounds-You actually have me thinking about heading over to WallyWorld and seeing what they have. Good purchase!

Moosetrot
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:15 AM

i bough $ 99 hat , tote it when trap on public land ,if i bump into other pub land user's,i tell them ,squirrel aren't out this morning.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:16 AM

my truck gun until I started having teen drivers was a Mossberg bolt action with the C-lect choke , gave 75 for it.

it was handy because the choke could easily be selected for anything and it shoots very well.

I shot some ground squirrels with #4 on full choke and it cut a strip of grass out with the ground squirrel pattern was about 3 inches wide at 30 feet and perfect to the sights

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by goldnut

About the same as I paid for yours.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:24 AM

And why is it stupid to warn someone about what has happened when you buy a cheap gun?
Your comment was stupid.
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Well, that was STUPID!!

To the OP, cool, show us a pic.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:31 AM

Hhhmm. Ok whistle

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:37 AM

probably half the shotguns in the world are made in turkey now. 99 dollars to several hundred.

a break action shotgun is rather simple and safe the pressures generated not that much.

safety glasses are never a bad idea but your more likely to catch a twig in the eye than have a shotgun you can see easily down to check for bore obstructions fail.

I wear prescription safety glasses all the time and they have saved me from a bunch of things , but never a shotgun.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:45 AM

Then just move your angry canuck self along, and crap on someone else's thread with your ignorant statements based on zero knowledge.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:46 AM

I'm giving you sound advice-take it or leave it as you wish.
No need getting ignorant.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:50 AM

Hope Boco has safety glasses on since this thread is blowing up in his face. Be careful there Boco!! LOL

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:55 AM

At least in America I can walk into a dept. store and 15 minutes later and less than a hundo walk out with a serviceable shotgun. Didn't have to kiss the ring of light in the loafers Trudeau, Heck I could have got a 1000 fps BB gun without even a background check.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:58 AM

I'm giving you sound advice-take it or leave it as you wish.
No need getting ignorant.

Advice based on zero experience, zero knowledge, that's not advice. Just a mean little man with anger issues...Go away, you said your piece.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:59 AM

Hope Boco has safety glasses on since this thread is blowing up in his face. Be careful there Boco!! LOL

Listen,I come on here and give some solid advice,and some ignoramus calls me stupid,then another starts the race card.
Dont know why I even bother coming on here anymore,seems more and more duffus show up here,must be because there is still a few decent ones though.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:02 AM

Listen,I come on here and give some solid advice,and some ignoramus calls me stupid,then another starts the race card.
Dont know why I even bother coming on here anymore.

So leave.... Ain't nobody keeping you here. I am sure this is not the only forum you stink up.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:02 AM

Dont know why I even bother coming on here anymore.

Boco Im just messing with you buddy. You have givin me some good advice in the past on fur handling for hat and garment sewing. And I also believe it was you who told me where to get parts for my Bonis machine. Sorry if you took offense to my joking. Ken

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:07 AM

Back to the shotgun. Single shot, break action not too much can go wrong. I have an old .410 single shot that I tend to use around the home and it has been flawless.

Chris
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:10 AM

Sounds like a good buy. That gun will last you forever.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:15 AM

LOL. You guys be nice to Boco. He's our Canadian neighbor and that's how we want him. smile.
Boco you're always welcome here.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Back to the shotgun. Single shot, break action not too much can go wrong. I have an old .410 single shot that I tend to use around the home and it has been flawless.

Chris

You might want to check that out. I know of at least 5 of my friends that had $15,000 Krieghoff break action guns blow. These are O/U but you might get the idea.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/k-80-blows-up.184520/

https://www.americantrapshooter.com/index.php?threads/another-k-80-goes-to-heaven.3711/

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

Chris

You might want to check that out. I know of at least 5 of my friends that had $15,000 Krieghoff break action guns blow. These are O/U but you might get the idea.

https://www.americantrapshooter.com/index.php?threads/another-k-80-goes-to-heaven.3711/

5 friends with $15,000.00 shotguns is amazing. I helped the richest guy in our county put skirting on his brand new double wide trailer. Lucky fellow he is. grin

Chris
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 03:36 AM

First off. I've got a Hatfield single barrel in 20 gauge, it's served me well for 4 years so far.
Second lay off Boco, he meant well in his warning.
Third look into a Hatfield Boco you may be pleasantly surprised... they're good made guns for the price.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tom cat
First off. I've got a Hatfield single barrel in 20 gauge, it's served me well for 4 years so far.
Second lay off Boco, he meant well in his warning.
Third look into a Hatfield Boco you may be pleasantly surprised... they're good made guns for the price.

Well Bobo's advice was based on nothing, I asked politely. I would have considered it for sure, had he owned one, knew someone that owned one, or could tell me of one that blew up in someone's face. He could not. and ranted. So he had baseless non advice. All the good advice he gives on topics he is knowledgeable in he should stick to, and is welcome.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 06:42 AM

You always get exactly what you pay for Boco's opinion, all 29k posts of it. He's a great trapper and fur handler, but prefers to be an internet commentator on everything else instead.

It's ok though, all it takes to get rid of Boco is ask him a direct question about his hypocritical claims of virtue. He disappears faster than a spike buck in Savell's yard.

See, like this: https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7157809/2
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 07:20 AM

My uncles has had i dont know how many single shots and he said that he has had probably 50 of them in his life and never had a problem with them killing anything and he still has one from the 1900s and the stock fell off it was so old he keeps it behind his door for security even though he has an ar15 and a 9 mm but he said he would rather use his shotgun for fast shooting when thiefs run
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan1234
he still has one from the 1900s and the stock fell off it was so old

Ethan, this might blow your mind but most of us here were BORN in the 1900s... eek
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 10:48 AM

For $99 you could easily make some barrel length revisions to that shotgun without feeling guilty

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
For $99 you could easily make some barrel length revisions to that shotgun without feeling guilty

I had seen a few videos that had done just that. This one patterns all the shot shells really well at normal hunting ranges, including buckshot. I may buy a second for that. Seen one cut down to 20 inches with some sights affixed, the guy was all but stacking slugs at 50 yards. Like I said, try finding or buying a older brand name single shot...I see this design in the Midland brand and under other names but none are only $99.00.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 11:42 AM

I havnt seen one at walmart in a while. that was the price. 99 bucks. I wish i had bought a 20 gauge too.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eagleye

The choke is not marked on the barrel, just says 3 inch chamber. it shoots and looks like modified. I will give it the dime test today, then measure bore.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 11:47 AM

Sounds like a cheap versatile option. Easy to transport back and forth, personally I wouldn't leave one at a camp regardless of how disposable for fear of it getting in the wrong hands. Maybe I'm just a worrier.
Posted By: DRF

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 11:52 AM

I’m was surprised to hear you picked it up at Walmart. The one by me stopped selling guns quite awhile ago and I just assumed that would have been all Walmart’s but guess not.
Years ago I got each of my boys a New England single shot 12 gauge from Walmart . Think they were around 75 bucks each and that’s prolly been around 25 years ago. They put a lot of shells through those guns lol.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 12:07 PM

I bought a NEF 20 ga. from Wally world umpteen years ago for around $75 too. Shoots like a gun of that value should. Maybe even a little better. I also got it for a "beater" gun. Worth every penny. Wish I would have bought one in .223 like my buddy did
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 12:16 PM

Interesting. I purchased a New England 20 gauge break open at Wally World in the 1980s. It is our Tractor gun. Amazing all the animals you can kill while out doing your work. It has been banged around and mistreated for forty years but still shoots great.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:24 PM

Here's a classic! Iver Johnson Champion 12ga. Made in Fitchburg, MA
Dad purchased in early '40's (Ethan- that's 1940's).

Attached picture 20210207_085832.jpg
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:45 PM

In my experience, a lot of the new single shot shotguns, particularly the 12 gauges, kick like mules. Years ago, I bought a NEF 12 gauge for my kid...it kicked so bad, I didn’t want to shoot it.
Posted By: Osky

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:50 PM

Nice price and purchase on the shotgun!
I will make this comment at the risk of being run out.
I had a good friend in camp a year and a half ago who brought a very nice S&W .375 revolver with him. Knowing him well I know the gun had maybe 200 rounds thru it. We were shooting one morning, targets, when standing near him after a shot the barrel suddenly looked odd. I touched his shoulder as he thumb cocked another round to fire, he was still holding the pistol out. He looked at me and before I could say anything the barrel fell forward and onto the ground.
The top forward frame had cracked in half after the previous shot? Had he hit that trigger while the barrel was tipping I think it would have been very ugly.
Moral, crap happens these days expensive gear or not. I ask everyone who comes here shooting now to wear glasses in the yard and out on the stands. Take care out there guys.

* S&W was contacted and I’ve never heard of a company react so fast and offer so much to get that weapon back. They stood tall for sure.

Osky
Posted By: Osky

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
In my experience, a lot of the new single shot shotguns, particularly the 12 gauges, kick like mules. Years ago, I bought a NEF 12 gauge for my kid...it kicked so bad, I didn’t want to shoot it.

I’ve got an old 20 gauge Winchester red letter that has more thump than one might expect. I only use it for vintage shoot fund raisers. One or two trap rounds is more than enough.

Osky
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:02 PM

my favorite 12g is a baikal shingle izh 18 -em is my go to for clay / squirrel.it has been replaced for squirrel hunting with a C/Z bob white sXs 12g. i get a lot of what is that ,when they see the old baikal and when they find out it was imported from Russia, i get the look and it is not of approval.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

your not alone

light weight

one size fit someone somewhere stock but it is almost never me. "poor fit"

little or no recoil pad to absorb any

felt recoil is a function of actual recoil , weight and fit

if the fit is right it is tight in your shoulder and tight on your cheek , if it weighs more it takes more to overcome the object at rest with a slip on recoil pad and a little sleeping pad and horse wrap you can make most things fit you and then it isn't nearly as felt of recoil.

that doesn't mean a single shot can't be good a good tool
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:12 PM

I have my dad's old Remington 16 Gauge semi-auto. You want to shoot something that kicks, "WOW"!

I t must have a stiff spring. I know the butt plate pad is hard as a rock.
Posted By: MNSouthPaw

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:22 PM

I had 3 of them. 410 and 20 full size from Walmart $83 each and youth 410 from a local shop. My daughter shot and loved the little one. Would shoot it so much the barrel would get warm breaking clays, cans and bottles. The 20 had a decent kick. All 3 needed trigger adjustments. Great guns if used within their limitations. Not going to win a beauty contest or long range precision shooting. Perfect truck gun, we hunted grouse and squirrel with the 410s together. Short barrel youth was good to 35 yards on stationary game, 30 on anything moving. Full size a bit further. I would purchase again, the price made making memories of father daughter hunting affordable. She will be a lifelong hunter as a result of being able to get her hooked as a child.

Josh

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Originally Posted by Ethan1234
he still has one from the 1900s and the stock fell off it was so old

Ethan, this might blow your mind but most of us here were BORN in the 1900s... eek

I meant early 1900s

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Here's a classic! Iver Johnson Champion 12ga. Made in Fitchburg, MA
Dad purchased in early '40's (Ethan- that's 1940's).

Yeah thats kinda what my uncles gun looks like but without a stock
Posted By: 3togo

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 05:19 PM

I'll admit I did not read through all posts.
But a quick search shows that the shotguns are imported from Turkey. Not saying that's a bad thing, just saying.

Hatfield doesn't mention on their history page where the firearms they sell are manufactured.
Posted By: DRF

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 05:31 PM

[Linked Image]
This one will get refinished. Says New England firearms. Made in Gardner Mass. pardner model 3” mod.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 07:17 PM

I had a 10 ga. NEF that I used for geese. Easy to carry into the marsh along with my 12 ga. and was stored by the back door for when they flew over the house. It was truly a punisher and pushed me into the muck, but that thing also did a number on geese. Traded it off for something else but I wish I still had it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 07:30 PM

Hey they are sweet little guns. Their auto loader is smooth. My son bought one at wally for 189 bucks. It worked flawless in the dove field and he even killed a turkey this fall. ONLY thing I can see is it looks like an aluminum barrel with a steel sleeve. I MAY BE WONG ....
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DRF
[Linked Image]
This one will get refinished. Says New England firearms. Made in Gardner Mass. pardner model 3” mod.

My first gun was a H&R (later NE) topper model 410.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:02 PM

Chris

5 friends with $15,000.00 shotguns is amazing. I helped the richest guy in our county put skirting on his brand new double wide trailer. Lucky fellow he is. grin

Chris

I know hundreds of guys/gals with $15,000 shot guns. That is about entry level cost of a good target shotgun. I started with a $275 browning and those are over $1000 now. I consider these entry level for a serious trap shooter.

https://www.silverseitz.com/new-guns

You could always but a used gun:

PERAZZI MX2005 TRAP COMBO SHOTGUN WITH SC3 GRADE WOOD - PREOWNED
SKU #: 140386-7-C
Preowned
$18,495

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:11 PM

can a good shot really break more clays with a 16,000 dollar shotgun vs a 250 dollar shotgun? I have some real doubts. I think its more about trying to impress others

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:12 PM

There's probably been more game killed in this country with a beat up single shot than any other firearm.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Sounds like a cheap versatile option. Easy to transport back and forth, personally I wouldn't leave one at a camp regardless of how disposable for fear of it getting in the wrong hands. Maybe I'm just a worrier.

I am pretty creative. I intend to secure the shotgun within a hidden cache and a bike cable lock. It was a PM sent me, that gave me a great hiding spot idea. The little cabin I built 25 years ago in a remote area in the center of 145 river front acres. It is as secure as any home, with reinforced door, deadbolt and door knob lock. Only family and a couple close friends have even been to the cabin. The solar panels and charge controller are worth 6 times as much as that Walmart shotgun. I had planned a trap door in the floor for a insulated cold box, but a wrecked Airstream trailer provided me with the best working propane fridge I have ever seen. May still do a small hidden trapdoor.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
can a good shot really break more clays with a 16,000 dollar shotgun vs a 250 dollar shotgun? I have some real doubts. I think its more about trying to impress others

Sometimes a $10 gun will break more targets than a $100,000 gun. It's the Indian not the arrow that determines results. I shot my $275 gun for about 5 years with very good results then it fell apart. If you're shooting 30,000 - 50,000 targets a year & want a gun that will last several lifetimes you will need to spend north of $10,000
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:35 PM

A $16K shotgun is generally made to fit. A $250 shotgun is a one size fits all. I’d be will to bet the average Joe doesn’t even know how a shotgun is supposed to fit, much less go to a dealer and shoulder every shotgun they have to see if it remotely fits. Most buy a gun and shoot it. Sometimes they can hit with it, sometimes they can’t. Wonder how much better someone can shoot with a gun that fits vs one they could afford.

Opening day of dove season it took my oldest 22 shells to get his limit. Took me 24. The youngest took 30 something, lol. He’s one of those take it to the plug shooters. All have guns that “fit”...

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:39 PM

I havnt seen one at walmart in a while. that was the price. 99 bucks. I wish i had bought a 20 gauge too.

Yeah, actually the two tier firearm case is full. I would guess 25 rifles. And water fowlers could stock up, the only ammo they had was Winchester steel 3 1/2, BB and # 2 shot they are down to $10.00 a box and they had plenty. I got 3 boxes to take apart, and shorten the hulls for a future reloading project. They had a sign alerting folks the ammo was 3 1/2 inch, I guess some folks grab and buy not paying attention.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

A $16K shotgun is generally made to fit. A $250 shotgun is a one size fits all. I’d be will to bet the average Joe doesn’t even know how a shotgun is supposed to fit, much less go to a dealer and shoulder every shotgun they have to see if it remotely fits. Most buy a gun and shoot it. Sometimes they can hit with it, sometimes they can’t. Wonder how much better someone can shoot with a gun that fits vs one they could afford.

Opening day of dove season it took my oldest 22 shells to get his limit. Took me 24. The youngest took 30 something, lol. He’s one of those take it to the plug shooters. All have guns that “fit”...

True. A made to fit shotgun will improve your shooting skills! There are some guys, however, that don't need custom fit because they can pick up any shotgun and hit whatever they want. I sure wish I was one of those.

Re: $99.00 shotgun - 02/07/21 09:46 PM

If you're shooting 30,000 - 50,000 targets a year & want a gun that will last several lifetimes you will need to spend north of $10,000

Ok I gotcha now
© 2024 Trapperman Forums