Home

Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles

Posted By: Cannon Ball

Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:24 PM

With two of the three major motor companies saying they will stop making gasoline powered vehicles by 2035 ( only 14 years away ) it has got me to thinking about buying and storing pickup trucks and maybe even a few cars.

Has anyone given this any thought to doing the same ? Do you think it will actually happen ?
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:40 PM

How u going to run them the price of gas will be outa sight if we can even buy it
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:43 PM

Don't make any plans Trump will undo bidens mess in 2024
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:45 PM

If we get a Republican president next time around, don't you think this will be put to a halt?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:52 PM

Its a feel good, "look at us being progressive" marketing plan, that's all. They will build more electric cars, but I don't believe they intend to totally quit building the internal combustion engine.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
If we get a Republican president next time around, don't you think this will be put to a halt?

The republicans will have to get on board with it too or they will never get enough votes to govern.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

The republicans will have to get on board with it too or they will never get enough votes to govern.

Boco, I was sort of being hopeful. The system is rigged more than ever now. I don't think we'll ever see a Republican president again.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 11:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. In 14 years, the apocalypse will be long over, all the gasoline you could salvage will be used up by then. You'll mostly just walk everywhere.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/08/21 11:56 PM

Road Warrior comes to mind here. wink
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 12:37 AM

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 12:46 AM

Its not a political decision Gm and ford are doing it on there own accord from what I have read. Hard to say what gas prices will be like then there might be a glut of oil like there is now and could be reasonable priced.
Posted By: Prn

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 12:49 AM

I am sure we will be able buy Chinese cars by then.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I wouldn't worry about it. In 14 years, the apocalypse will be long over, all the gasoline you could salvage will be used up by then. You'll mostly just walk everywhere.

Well that should be good for the fur market.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 01:11 AM

price of decent gas vehicles is just going to keep going up people will be running on fleets of older trucks still able to fix them , just keep fixing and buying aftermarket repair parts eventually every truck will be like Paul Dobbins toyota 600K on it.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
price of decent gas vehicles is just going to keep going up people will be running on fleets of older trucks still able to fix them , just keep fixing and buying aftermarket repair parts eventually every truck will be like Paul Dobbins toyota 600K on it.

Sounds like Cuba.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein

Hmmm.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Sounds like Cuba.

exactly like Cuba my cousin was there a couple years ago , whole industry on to it's self fixing cars by rebuilding every possible component they can.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by loosegoose

Well that should be good for the fur market.

That's what I'm thinking. Learn to make your own snares.....steel cable and nuts will be around for a long time (stuff like bicycle brake/shift cables, car emergency brake cable, etc.) Fur will make good wampum laugh
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

I hope your are right, but I think Congress is going to make it so Trump can not hold any Federal Office. We will see.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 03:43 AM

We will be flying in cars like the jetsons before you know it.
Posted By: charles

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 03:49 AM

The automobile industry was clearly headed toward electric vehicles before the elections. I think they see it as our future. Expect major improvements in batteries. Trucking is making plans, even electric railroad engines for yard work.

We will always need oil. So many products and industries rely on it and natural gas.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 12:54 PM

Even electric cars will still need petroleum based lubricants.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3

Imagine the crashes...I cut see it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 02:45 PM

Going to sound like a bee hive in the crowded places.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 02:53 PM

Electric vehicles are not a replacement for internal combustion engines.
We don't have the power generation to charge them.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 03:12 PM

How are the northern areas going to run all electric all the time.
Going to have to wear your snow gear to drive to work.
Posted By: Cannon Ball

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 05:18 PM

Good to see peoples perspective I have never been a hoarder BUT i own a large metal barn with a cement floor that is not being utilized properrl. I honestly believe that making a plan and purhcasing a few vehicles sometime in the not do distant future will be a smart more for me and my boys. Mind you I am not doing this as my primary mode of transportation but as farm / hunting trucks I hope this never happensyt
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 05:28 PM

Has anyone ever asked these auto makers where the power is going to come from to flip the fleet to electric? Barely adequate as it is and below adequate on the west coast.

To flip the fleet, they would have to rebuild the entire electric grid and install about 10X the generator capacity we have now, and do it without coal or NG. That means about 10 new Nukes per state east of Mississippi.......and up and running in 15 years. I don't see that happening.
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 05:37 PM

You guys need a hobby. Some of the stories you come up with are hilarious to read.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 05:57 PM

If I were to attempt this, I'd soak the underside with crankcase oil, get completely empty of fuel and set mouse traps all over along with poison.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 02/09/21 06:39 PM

So you can drive 400 miles then have to charge for 8 to 12 before you can drive again. gonna work really well for the trucking industry i'm tired of idiots with stupid plans like this
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by frank1969
How u going to run them the price of gas will be outa sight if we can even buy it

I live in the land of corn. Lots of fresh water too. I see a couple good things there. LLL
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:19 AM

LL what will you use for fuel to distill the the ethanol and grow the corn? except for sugar cane ethanol your living the same fantasy as the electric car folks. if we drain the entire gulf coast and plant it all to sugar cane, we can't grow anywhere near enough.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
LL what will you use for fuel to distill the the ethanol and grow the corn? except for sugar cane ethanol your living the same fantasy as the electric car folks. if we drain the entire gulf coast and plant it all to sugar cane, we can't grow anywhere near enough.

You just worry about yourself. Corn is a fuel in itself.

They frequently multiply energy content by the number of pounds in a bushel (56 pounds) and then report an energy content of 448,000 to 476,000 BTUs per bushel of shelled corn. Figures as high as 10,000 BTUs per pound or 560,000 BTUs per bushel have been used in some analyses.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:42 AM

I am worried about myself. people living in fantasy land dont do anybody any good
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3

Maybe someone living in 90s said that...2021 we are learning to wash our hands, cover our mouths, and figure out what bathroom to use.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper

You just worry about yourself. Corn is a fuel in itself.

They frequently multiply energy content by the number of pounds in a bushel (56 pounds) and then report an energy content of 448,000 to 476,000 BTUs per bushel of shelled corn. Figures as high as 10,000 BTUs per pound or 560,000 BTUs per bushel have been used in some analyses.

Only so much land to grow so much corn besides other crops.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:55 AM

Buckmink have you ever been to IA? LLL

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 11:57 AM

Soybeans are good fuel as well. Look I do not like it anymore than anyone else. I just know biofuels are more practical than battery operated vehicles. You can run a truck on biodiesel. They do it here now. LLL

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 12:05 PM

I'm in ohio. Now using others like soybeans would work, gotta rotate crops like everyone knows.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 12:35 PM

It'll all work out, you guys arent factoring in the depopulation and the fact that peasants dont need cars anyway

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMink

I'm in ohio. Now using others like soybeans would work, gotta rotate crops like everyone knows.

They can make biofuels out of anything that decomposes. Even grass clippings. The cost is the issue not the technology to do so. Even coon fat could be made into fuel. I have plenty of that available too. LLL

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 12:44 PM

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/10-best-crops-for-biofuel-production.html

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 12:52 PM

I am reminded of George Orwells book 1984, where he invents the words Newspeak and Doublethink. Its no surprise different places have tried banning it.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 12:56 PM

According to researchers, one acre of switchgrass plantation can produce up to 15 tons of biomass or 4,350 liters of ethanol daily.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 01:00 PM

Thinking outside the box is not designed to diminish the range of thought (Newspeak) nor is it the acceptance of or mental capacity to accept contrary opinions or beliefs (doublethink). Thinking outside the box allows one to free himself from both by having a plan for when all other things fail. Those who cannot will get caught up in the havoc of 1984. I was forced to read the book in high school when they still encouraged self thought or freedom of thought. LLL

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 01:06 PM

The term "newspeak" was coined by George Orwell in his 1949 anti-utopian novel 1984. In Orwell's fictional totalitarian state, Newspeak was a language favored by the minions of Big Brother and, in Orwell's words, "designed to diminish the range of thought." Newspeak was characterized by the elimination or alteration of certain words, the substitution of one word for another, the interchangeability of parts of speech, and the creation of words for political purposes. The word has caught on in general use to refer to confusing or deceptive bureaucratic jargon.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 01:12 PM

The term "newspeak" was coined by George Orwell in his 1949 anti-utopian novel 1984. In Orwell's fictional totalitarian state, Newspeak was a language favored by the minions of Big Brother and, in Orwell's words, "designed to diminish the range of thought." Newspeak was characterized by the elimination or alteration of certain words, the substitution of one word for another, the interchangeability of parts of speech, and the creation of words for political purposes. The word has caught on in general use to refer to confusing or deceptive bureaucratic jargon.

Are you trying to be the next BuckNE? Google king? I have read the book. Have you? I know what it is and what it is about. What does it have to do with this post really? Someone asked the question of how would you power an internal combustion engine without fossil fuel. I answered and somehow you are reminded of 1984? Wow. Laughing out loud. LLL

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 01:48 PM

Look. I know you want to promote all the farming your family is involved in. So your promoting the PROPOGANDA (you like that word better) that biofuel can replace fossil fuel. Just like solar and wind, its a pipe dream. You, I am sure, are well aware of that. You can be rude, call names, suggest I haven't read the book I am referring too. It doesn't change the fact you are claiming biofuel from corn and soybeans is a good idea. It is not. No matter how much farming your family is involved in. It won't pencil. Just like the statement from your website claiming one acre of switch grass can produce a 1000 gallons of ethanol daily. It is all dreams and feel good PROPAGANDA

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 01:56 PM

At best, the energy from a gallon of corn and milo (every ethanol plant I hauled grain too is also using milo) based ethanol is break even over the energy required to produce it. At best. Biodiesel from soybeans is a loss.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 02:03 PM

Which brings us back to electric vehicles. We can cover the whole continent in windmills. And all our desert land in solar panels. Wont matter. We will still need coal or natural gas or uranium just to produce all the electricity we are already using. I have no problem with energy research but the technology we have today is not going to run electric cars or bio fuel cars without fossil fuels and or nuclear.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 02:55 PM

Which brings us back to electric vehicles. We can cover the whole continent in windmills. And all our desert land in solar panels. Wont matter. We will still need coal or natural gas or uranium just to produce all the electricity we are already using. I have no problem with energy research but the technology we have today is not going to run electric cars or bio fuel cars without fossil fuels and or nuclear.

My family does not farm. If we do not have fossil fuels available I assure you biofuel is a better alternative to batteries which are made by our enemies. Where did I say it was a good idea to only use biofuels? I am for fracking, NP, clean coal and anything we have. To suggest electric cars without anything to charge them with is insane. Using whatever we have is not propaganda. Just how you see it I guess. LLL

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 03:30 PM

Bingo.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

I hope your are right, but I think Congress is going to make it so Trump can not hold any Federal Office. We will see.

Paul DeSantis is someone I could get behind

Unlike a lot I am not a Trump fan, I voted for him twice yes, but that doesn’t mean I failed to see his failings and mistakes, nor that I liked him more then when I was working for him

He personally is why I quit a very good job, we just rubbed each other the wrong way

That said I would still vote for him again
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 04:45 PM

Roughly estimated, we would need an additional 1100 TWh of electricity to power the nation's cars if we all converted to electric cars... That doesn't include any diesel vehicles at all. And that's assuming EV's are 4x more efficient than gasoline engines

1100 Terawatt hours... That's over a billion megawatt hours.

Have fun with that.

Mike

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 04:54 PM

Just a thought. I do not know the answer. Let's assume that for every 500,000 electric cars, we need one large natural gas power plant. Is that power plant worse for our environment than the 500,000 gasoline cars it replaces?

There is a very significant infrastructure and maintenance expense to get electricity to the 500,000 EV cars.
Posted By: white17

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 05:00 PM

I found this to be an interesting read.

https://media4.manhattan-institute.org/sites/default/files/R-0319-MM.pdf

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 05:12 PM

Depending on who you ask... One gallon of gasoline is equivalent to 9-13 kilowatt hours... So my little 4 cyl Jeep with its 13 gal. tank uses roughly 117 to 169 kwh of electricity when I burn through a tank... So let's average a tank of gas at 143 kwh. I drive a ways to work and fill up every other day... So roughly 70 kwh daily.

So a 500 MW station at peak capacity could run the equivalent of 7142 of my little Jeeps daily. This is rough math only based on estimates I located online... And of course excludes household electrical use. This would be a power plant running solely to charge EV's

Mike

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by white17

Magical thinking indeed. Based on my amateur rough estimates you would need 500 MW of generation to accommodate every 7500 vehicles.

Let's say EV's are 4x more efficient... That's still one power plant for every 30,000 cars.

Mike
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 05/30/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Ball
With two of the three major motor companies saying they will stop making gasoline powered vehicles by 2035 ( only 14 years away ) it has got me to thinking about buying and storing pickup trucks and maybe even a few cars.

Has anyone given this any thought to doing the same ? Do you think it will actually happen ?

This will be interesting as Russia's government relies on 40% of it's total revenue from energy exports, specifically oil and LNG. With approx. 80% of it's total exports comprising Oil and LNG. They may somehow object to electric cars at some point.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 06/02/21 12:19 AM

You think those E vehicles will be any cheaper to run?

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 06/02/21 12:38 AM

I dont see it happening that quick. If ever. To many power plants and lines to be built. Moving the source of pollution from the car itself to a generating system doesn't reduce emissions. Will need some kind of universal battery and quick change. Will need to be able to stop and change batteries instead of being limited to 3-400 miles then 12 hours down to recharge. If its starts today I dont see the U.S. ready to go all electric in 15 years.

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 06/02/21 01:40 AM

Gas trucks would be a dime a dozen if I stockpiled them.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Purhasing and Storing Gasoline Vehicles - 06/02/21 05:23 AM

Under the Green New Deal most people won't own vehicles or travel because they will live in public housing where they work. Only the liberal elite will be able to afford to own vehicles and travel, so there will be no need for an increased electrical infrastructure.

Privately owned, gas powered vehicles will almost assuredly be taxed out of existence, so there is no point in storing them.

Keith
© 2024 Trapperman Forums