Home

Pinto bean question

Posted By: beeman

Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:20 AM

I tried my second batch of pinto beans today and they turned out as hard as the first. I have used dry navy beans many times and they were always nice and soft and creamy. I soaked these pinto beans 24 hours and then slow cooked them and they were still hard. I ended up using a hand held blender on them and still had a few hard pieces of beans. Is this what pinto beans are supposed to be like? Maybe pressure cook them next time? Any suggestions?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:23 AM

time, slow simmer for about 8 hrs/ overnight.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:27 AM

Soak at least 24 hours and pressure cook.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:34 AM

DO NOT add salt while cooking. If you must add water add hot/ boiling water.
No need to soak 24 hours just overnight. Honestly you don't need to soak, plenty of my tia's (Hispanic aunty) and my native auntys don't always soak their beans especially in a pressure cooker (1 hour) and their beans are incredible.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:40 AM

A chunk of pork in the simmer will make them real good.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:42 AM

Soaking can shorten the cooking time but is not absolutely necessary. As was mentioned before, enough time cooking will do the trick
Posted By: SJA

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 01:55 AM

Kent Rollins Pinto Beans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAXHVQoEito
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 02:27 AM

i dont like pinto beans pressure cooked or in a crock pot. some crockpots will simmer on high. if you have one of them that will work. water needs to slightly boil. x2 on dont add cold water to them.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 03:00 AM

Cooper's BBQ in Llano Texas makes their charo beans in a pressure cooker and they are some of the best food you'd ever think to put in your mouth. To be honest tho, so is everything else at Cooper's BBQ
Posted By: asphalttrapper

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 04:10 AM

45 minutes in an instapot no soaking
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 04:21 AM

Pinto beans, a diced onion, some bacon grease and a smoked ham hock. 90 minutes in a pressure cooker and you are good to go ... no soaking necessary
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 04:27 AM

How old were the beans?
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 04:32 AM

LOL ok I cook pinto's 2 times a week RELIGIOUSLY .No soaking. At 12 noonish I look them and wash them. Put on top of the stove and season with pieces of jowl bacon. At the same time I turn on crock pot and let it be heating on high. bring the beans to a boil and i usually boil them for 30 minutes or so with the lid on. Transfer them to crock pot still on high and forget them. At 4.45 I put them back on stove in kettle on med heat and let them boil. While Im melting butter in cast iron skillet in oven at 385. I stir up batter and bake it. By the time the corn bread is done 5:30 ish the beans are finished with a nice thick soup. My wife gets home from work at 5.25 and we are eating by 5:35.
Trust me FORGET soaking pressure cooking and all that crap . WASTE of TIME . I been cooking beans like this for OVER 30 years. Oh yea add your salt to the beans when you first put on. I don't put much in because sometimes the jowl bacon is pretty salty .Easier to ad it after on the plate or in the bowl. Tomorrow is bean day I post pics Unless we have a steak .Picking up my beef tomorrow I had killed....
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 04:39 AM

The okie way
Lol

Soak overnight covered with water by an inch or 2. Add 2 tablespoon baking soda when you soak.

Rinse well add onion, garlic, hock or fat back to crock pot cover with water and cook on high for 8 to 10 hours . Eat when you get home from work.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 11:50 AM

pinto beans and bacon, ontop a piece of buttered cornbread and fried potato's on the side is sure enough good.

I like smothered burrito's too. Fry up some beef with green chili. Put chili powder on the beef, salt and pepper. Drain the beans. Put beans and beef on a tortilla. Spoon a little Campbells condensed cream of chicken soup right out of the can on. Add some grated cheese. Roll up a burrito. Put it in a baking pan. Cover the burritos with more cream of chicken and add more green chili. Sprinkle grated cheese on top too. Bake at 350 for a half hour. if you like you can call that enchiladas since you need a knife and fork. Whatever you call it its pretty tasty. Ground sausage is good too or chicken chunks.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Pinto bean question - 02/10/21 12:47 PM

Got me salivating...tagging this.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums