Home

-60 anyone ?

Posted By: yukon254

-60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:27 PM

Bottom dropped here...very little juice left this morning. An elderly neighbour lady that lives over near the creek called this morning and its a few degrees colder at her place.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michigander

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:33 PM

I would like to experience that type of cold once. After a day or two you could have it back though.

It hit -2 here last night, t-shirt weather for you.
Posted By: Posco

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
I would like to experience that type of cold once. After a day or two you could have it back though.

Same here.
Posted By: Boco

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:40 PM

When it gets that cold your nostrils stick together when you breathe in thru your nose.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:43 PM

My Daughter sent us a pic of her thermometer and It was I think 40 below. And she had her 7 sled dogs In the house with her. Delta Jct.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:46 PM

You are a jerk Yukon254- I had to break out some insulated Carhart bibs just to open this post whistle

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:46 PM

AND now my feet are cold
Posted By: walleyed

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
When it gets that cold your nostrils stick together when you breathe in thru your nose.

How would a mouth breather like you know about that ? laugh

w

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by Boco

How would a mouth breather like you know about that ? laugh
w

LMAO @ Walleyed- what does a flat-earther like you suspect? grin

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
You are a jerk Yukon254- I had to break out some insulated Carhart bibs just to open this post whistle

Ha ha that reminds me of a story that was pretty common back in my sleddog racing days. There is a small village up north called Ft Yukon. Its a brutally cold place inhabited by a tough bunch of trappers and dog sled drivers. All the old timers on here will remember hearing this a time or two; we used to say that the folks in Ft Yukon didnt even put their mitts on until it hit -40! Man those guys were tough. I raced with one younger First nation guy from there, and it didnt matter how cold it was, he would just sleep for an hour or two under a tree and keep going!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 06:21 PM

I had to put a can of 134a in the AC this morning. It hit 85 yesterday. That's miserable.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 06:26 PM

Dave thanks for making me homesick for the High Line of Northeastern Montana ha ha

I'm a firm believer that anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of temps like that or colder need to lick a flag pole or a swing set chain just once ha ha as a right of passage !

BTW it's a balmy - 19 below then add wind chill - 40
Posted By: Redknot

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 06:37 PM

Would it feel warmer to you if we were using Celsius??
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 07:46 PM

i was in -60 with the windchill factor, once. enough for me!
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Bottom dropped here...very little juice left this morning. An elderly neighbour lady that lives over near the creek called this morning and its a few degrees colder at her place.

[Linked Image]

Been there, done that.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 08:19 PM

I've seen -47 F in northern Quebec, while on a winter caribou hunt ...
When riding the snowmobile, they said the wind chill was in the - triple digits ..
The tip of my nose turned black ....

We didn't wear helmet , because you couldn't shoot with it on ...
Just a fur hat and goggles ..
Posted By: gcs

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 09:55 PM

Went to a cabin once that was minus 40 inside....had to go outside to bask in the minus 30 heat....

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Dave thanks for making me homesick for the High Line of Northeastern Montana ha ha

I'm a firm believer that anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of temps like that or colder need to lick a flag pole or a swing set chain just once ha ha as a right of passage !

BTW it's a balmy - 19 below then add wind chill - 40

Funny story Allan. A couple days ago a neighbour ( who spends most of his time in AZ) looks out the window and sees one of his wifes goats swinging this big metal bowl around. He said he couldnt figure out how in the world the goat was doing it because he had his whole nose inside the bowl. He goes outside and realizes this goat had licked his water bowl! Guess it was stuck on there pretty good! good news is that goat will never get near another metal bowl.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 10:17 PM

No thanks, got down to -9 at work last night, the equipment runs 24 -7 when below 0.
Whether we need it or not.
You know it's cold when we need coat's on in a smelter lol .
Think it got up to 50 degrees, and even with 1500 degree flag running it hit 65.
It's up to 0 now.
Stay safe and healthy everyone.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 10:27 PM

I bet your berries go and hide in them temps
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 10:41 PM

I can't imagine.

I think the coldest temps I've ever been in were the minus teens at camp in north-central PA.

We've been having below average temps here in southeast PA with more days forecasted to not get above the mid-twenties. I'm building an addition and know how to dress and layer to be comfortable in those temps all day long but wouldn't have a clue how to dress for the sort of cold you are talking about.

I would like to experience it though. Even if it was only for a very short time. laugh
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 11:04 PM

Seen -45 once.....eye lashes were sticking together..
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 11:11 PM

Inversion layers. Often you only have to gain a bit of elevation and it gets warmer. Not too uncommon in a lot of places. (pics are from 2 years ago)

Attached picture FFBC7594-CF34-46C4-A881-25AA9480537D.jpeg
Attached picture 28F5ED64-8B85-4D9C-90E9-052B7264107F.png
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 11:36 PM

3 days of -40 under ice Beaverin years ago...as a much younger Man I see myself now as crazy driven back then.

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/10/21 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Inversion layers. Often you only have to gain a bit of elevation and it gets warmer. Not too uncommon in a lot of places. (pics are from 2 years ago)

Very true. Sometimes its a LOT warmer just a thousand feet higher. I've often wondered if thats one reason marten seem to move up higher at times.
Posted By: snowy

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 12:02 AM

Yukon, wasn't quite that bad here but with wind chill around that 40 to 26 below all day. I was out in it most of the day but a full sun day does help. You don't want to leave it too long thou it was might cold.
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 12:10 AM

I drilled up near fort McMurry in the tar sands back in 2004 and got to experience -64 glad to have had the chance to do it but would not go back. You guys that live up there sure must like the cold.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 12:14 AM

I would “Almost” trade you. On our next Check, I will be watching where I put my hands and where my dogs stick their noses. 60+ degree trap checks are just Wrong !
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 01:49 AM

Seen a place in Alaska showing 74 below this morning straight temp.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 02:06 AM

We can hit 20 to 30 below here pretty easily but what kills us here is the wind, we had cement feed bunks delivered here from wieser in Wisconsin in the winter a couple of times once it was about 30 below and a 30 mph wind and the one of the delivery guys said the even the abominable snowman wouldn’t even live in conditions as cold as that.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

[Linked Image]

Been there, done that.

And you prefer NC? 😆😅

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 03:27 AM

One of my first hunting dogs Barney was a Springer spaniel / black lab cross and yes my youngest daughter named him.
He loved the colder temps he did basically the same thing with his steel bowl after that he got a rubber water bowl ha ha
Stay Safe out there !
Allan
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 03:34 AM

On opening day of doe season in 1988 here in Pa. it was -22 degrees in Snow Shoe. The sap in the trees were freezing and letting out cracks like rifle shots. I killed a deer by 8:30 that morning....only time I ever shivered dragging out a deer.
Posted By: Jmack

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 03:40 AM

Been out at -50 once. That was without the sled ride. Checking marten traps was slow going.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 03:49 AM

seen -88 at galena alaska. we lost the base for a week, heating water couldn't make the loop without freezing. lost a lot of pipes that week, toilets sounded like shotgun blasts when they shattered.
Posted By: banchee

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:03 AM

this is why a few days ago was askin about the global warming anf how the winter was going for our brothers, we got about 3 foot snow and its been cold here and we got some below zero weather coming this week but nothing compared to out bros in the yukon and alaska
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

Been there, done that.

And you prefer NC? 😆😅

I've been able to trap beavers here year round for 30 years without ice. That's why I prefer NC. Loved Alaska while I was there.

North Pole, AK - January 30,1989
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 06:21 AM

Was pretty cold here for the last week. I was checking traps and a lynx jumped across the trail. I yelled but only a couple ice cubes came out of my mouth. I picked them up and put them in my pocket. Later at the cabin as I warmed up a loud yell came from my pocket when the cubes thawed. Scared me pretty good.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 12:25 PM

grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 12:31 PM

I was just wondering....

How all those electric vehicles that everyone clamors for are doing in the balmy.

grin whistle
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 02:33 PM

We had -19 last night. I don't need any colder than that.
I hunted in -30 one year. That was one of the hardest things i have done.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 02:37 PM

What kinda furnaces do they have there? Supposed be -25 Sunday nite , below zero start tommorow nite, has been -15 to -15 below
Posted By: rick olson

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:19 PM

I've seen -54 once and -52 was the second coldest reading I've seen here on the Canadian border,this morning was -39.5 tonight they say is going to be the coldest night of this ten day stretch,Monday will the first day it might hit zero for the high,then a nice warm up by the middle of the week 20's.

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
What kinda furnaces do they have there? Supposed be -25 Sunday nite , below zero start tommorow nite, has been -15 to -15 below

We use a wood stove. Almost everyone has one. Im putting propane backup in now, but will still use wood for the most part.
Posted By: Boco

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:32 PM

We had woodstoves in our line camps on the north line,propane did not burn after it got to 45-50 below.Something to do with lack of pressure.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:36 PM

Ha ha that reminds me of a story that was pretty common back in my sleddog racing days. There is a small village up north called Ft Yukon. Its a brutally cold place inhabited by a tough bunch of trappers and dog sled drivers. All the old timers on here will remember hearing this a time or two; we used to say that the folks in Ft Yukon didnt even put their mitts on until it hit -40! Man those guys were tough. I raced with one younger First nation guy from there, and it didnt matter how cold it was, he would just sleep for an hour or two under a tree and keep going!

Probably one of the Cadzows.....!

Pete
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:42 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: grumley701

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/11/21 04:46 PM

We've had a pretty easy winter up until this artic blast, not going to complain. Facts be facts, this is typical weather for us..

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/12/21 03:00 AM

When I was on my way to Great Falls this morning it was -28 then suddenly dropped to - 35 below zero the wind chill was -48 below I heard later it was -59 it warmed up to -22 below zero .
The ground blizzards made it real interesting in places .

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/12/21 03:15 AM

laugh but it's a steel .
Good one flipper

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/12/21 03:16 AM

Who's got the the coldest lol

Re: -60 anyone ? - 02/12/21 04:39 AM

Nope, nope, & even more nope. So much nope you can't even see the sun any more. Nothin but nope sick
© 2024 Trapperman Forums