Home

Storing Seeds

Posted By: Hoosier71

Storing Seeds - 02/10/21 05:41 PM

I ordered some corn, bean and tomato seed early because it was a little hard to find last year. What is the best way to store it till its time to plant. Basement, fridge. freezer?
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/10/21 05:44 PM

If the seeds you ordered are for 2021, even if bought in say Nov-Dec last year, there shouldn't be any loss in germination rates over a few months. I'd just keep them in your garage unless you have sustained high humidity levels.
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/10/21 08:12 PM

I keep all of my seeds in the freezer, some have been in there 5 years or longer and still germinate when planted.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/10/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hoosier71
I ordered some corn, bean and tomato seed early because it was a little hard to find last year. What is the best way to store it till its time to plant. Basement, fridge. freezer?

for less than a year your desk drawer or kitchen cabinet or similar will be just fine.

avoid high heat or damp environments
nothing else special is needed
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/10/21 10:02 PM

In the freezer for long term . On corn you have about 4 years before it don't germinate , bean you can have longer , last year I planted bean that I saved from 2012 . Try to save your own bean seed , or corn if you do open pollinated . All my stuff is open pollinated .
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/10/21 10:06 PM

You better get it while you can , seed stores on the net are shutting down their online orders due to backlog . Read a article that there might be a seed shortage , I really don't know , but I do know you can't get a canning lid around except at ACE hardware , but I'm not paying $7 for them.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/11/21 02:13 AM

Thanks fellas.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/11/21 02:16 AM

frozen
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/11/21 02:54 AM

my wife collects and stores seeds from our garden every year. just keeps them in envelopes and in a large box until next year
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Storing Seeds - 02/11/21 03:40 AM

My wife and I have had many arguments over freezing. Yes if you want to keep more than one year put them in the freezer. But my wife thinks you have to freeze any seed at least a few days to shock it and make it come up a day sooner. Thats her thing so why argue, but I don't do it !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums