Home

New Bird at the Feeder

Posted By: jeff karsten

New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 05:42 PM

Seems to like Blue Jays [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 05:44 PM

If God did not intend for you to shoot then he wouldn't have given you 2 fingers or DDT

I'm just sayin...
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 05:46 PM

Ov it

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 05:58 PM

That lil bugger is welcome to eat all the "Blue" songbirds it wants
Does the 2 fingers and Ov it go together for you guys laugh
Posted By: Redknot

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 06:46 PM

Can't get any scale from the pic..Is it a Sharp or a Coop??
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 06:53 PM

Multi use bird feeder everyone has to eat! LOL
Posted By: nt2

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 06:56 PM

Is it possibly a Merlin? Not sure if you have them up there. It looks like it might have the white "eyebrow".
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 09:52 PM

I was thinking it was a sharp by the tail marking there all nice birds to watch hunting. Very agile in flight.
Posted By: Tray

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 10:14 PM

Looks like a Sharp-shinned to me.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 10:30 PM

I thought Cooper's but not sure. Cooper's eat morning doves at my feeder all the time. They're really agile flying threw the trees
Posted By: Getting There

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 10:34 PM

An adult Cooper's Hawk. I had one at our bird feeder yesterday but it not score.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 10:57 PM

Keep him around it will save you a lot of money buying bird seed. Predators, crawl, walk, run, swim and fly.

Bryce
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 10:58 PM

They are pure death on quail.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 11:21 PM

We've had a Sharp-shinned Hawk hanging around. He will stay healthy if he leaves the Cardinals alone.

This morning we also had a Ring-necked Dove show up. Thought at first it was a huge Mourning Dove.

Moosetrot

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/10/21 11:30 PM

Pics are kinda dull it was about 40 yards out and nobody's washed the windows for awhile Maybe he'll come closer

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
They are pure death on quail.

Yup and DDT treatment isn't considered cool anymore
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 12:57 AM

Neither is 36gr .22 ammo...

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 03:29 AM

Nothing kills more wildlife than the common house cat and you feed them and let them in your house. The hawk is just trying to make it to the next day the best way they can.
Posted By: Ole

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 04:41 AM

Sharpshinned hawk. The fanned tail is square. It is round on a Coopers
Posted By: dmac

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 06:21 AM

puffball
Posted By: dmac

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 06:21 AM

And not even close to enough.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 07:46 AM

Female prairie form of the Merlin
tail markings, head colour, eye stripe, eye colour

Do you know what was the victum of the attacker. Coopers and sharpies usually have enough lift to carry away robin size.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 10:17 AM

cool pic. smile
Posted By: jabNE

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 10:26 AM

Cool pic.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Do you know what was the victum of the attacker. Coopers and sharpies usually have enough lift to carry away robin size.

The picture isn't very clear but I think I am seeing horizontal barring on it's chest and with the squared off tail I am with Tray on the sharp-shin.

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Line Jumper

The picture isn't very clear but I think I am seeing horizontal barring on it's chest and with the squared off tail I am with Tray on the sharp-shin.

I notice the tail right off, but the bird is not under its normal control. Adult COHA have the same chest marking as a adult SSHA. the head looks to big for SSHA. COHA are chuker than SSHA. It could go either way IMO but nice picture.

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Line Jumper

I notice the tail right off, but the bird is not under its normal control. Adult COHA have the same chest marking as a adult SSHA. the head looks to big for SSHA. COHA are chuker than SSHA. It could go either way IMO but nice picture.

It may have been early in the kill, most bird have to jump to get off the ground not easy in snow. Great Picture.
Posted By: story

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 04:41 PM

Was washing breakfast dishes this morning looking out window when hawk swooped down and nailed a starling. sat on it for about 5 minutes then moved and starling took off. Hawk took off nad caught it again this doing his job right
Posted By: swift4me

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 05:12 PM

I get some kestrels at the window feeder now and again, but two day ago I saw an incredible event. I was in front of the house at the farm and heard a noise up the hill that I figured was a truck going up the road. All of a sudden I have a flight of 5 or 6 hundred wild pigeons above me then they turn 90 degrees and land in the trees only to take off again. 5 seconds later I see the falcon that was chasing them. Very cool. 500 or 600 pigeons make a real sound when they fly.

Pete

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/11/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Nothing kills more wildlife than the common house cat and you feed them and let them in your house. The hawk is just trying to make it to the next day the best way they can.

I am not gonna say you are wrong but I will say I try to do my part.

A bird huntin buddy up in KS said this is how you sort cats: On a porch or front yard it is a house cat, w/i one hill (line of sight) from an acreage of any size it is barn cat, past the first little hill the dam thing is a roamer and needs a nap in the dirt. I never argued with him either.

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 04:37 PM

I have had one around my house for years. They have to eat too. They seem to prefer cardinals and doves at my feeder. Posted a photo a year or so back as one slammed a dove right into my kitchen window. Thought it would break with such a loud thud. Cooper and Merlin hawks here mostly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

cleaning his meal before eating.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kill site below window. I was sitting at the table by the window doing some paper work. Made me jump a little at first when it slammed the window with that dove.

Looks like it picked it pretty clean. Classic hawk kill site.

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 04:44 PM

To me it looks like there is barring on the chest like a Sharp-shinned or Coopers would have, Merlins that I see have markings on the chest but not the pronounced barring like this bird looks to have. Based of what looks like a squared off open tail I would call this a Sharpie.

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 05:11 PM

The top photo is a merlin (SSHW do not have wing barring), the middle one is a immature Coopers hawk, and the bottom on is a merlin. IMO
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 05:19 PM

I’m seeing a lot of road killed raptors this year on the interstate looked like a great horned owl piled up on a road just out of town the other day also. Hard to miss them wide feathers sticking out of the snow.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 05:20 PM

We have a Cooper's that hangs out and seems to love Sparrow's mostly. I wish he'd take out the BlueJay's. I hate them dern birds lol.

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
The top photo is a merlin (SSHW do not have wing barring), the middle one is a immature Coopers hawk, and the bottom on is a merlin. IMO

Agree, I was commenting on the original pics.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: New Bird at the Feeder - 02/13/21 06:12 PM

All photos I posted are of the same bird. The tree perched hawk is just above its kill by our house. I went out to see what the noise was and it spooked the hawk from the dove that was just slammed against our window.

He hung around while I checked on the dove but it was already dead. Had a small bloody spot on his head. I went back in to get my camera and took a photo while outside to get a clean photo. Surprised it stayed there while I took the picture. It made several passes while flying to pick up the dove to carry it a safe distance away to feed on it. It did miss a couple times then it got it air borne and struggled low along the ground to get it across our drive road about 50 yards away.. Then it was feather plucking time.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums