Home

Why are MB 550's out of stock?

Posted By: binoc5150

Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/10/21 11:58 PM

Wondering why MB 550's are out of stock everytime i check MTP and FNT?
Posted By: warrior

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 12:02 AM

Secondary hoarding to the gun and ammo shortage.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 12:03 AM

Stimulus checks

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 12:04 AM

Also I doubt the "factory" is running three shifts in light of the current fur market.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 12:04 AM

There was post on this a couple days ago. Should be some info there if you can find it.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7174355/what-happened-to-the-mb-traps#Post7174355 I found it. No info there though I guess...
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 12:09 AM

maybe shipping is a problem.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 12:42 AM

Hopefully it's because most if not all people who purchased MB550s recognize the quality and value of a well built American product and bought out the "in stock" inventory that MTP had on hand. Hopefully the demand will continue for such a well made product and the jobs will stay here in America. There has been many products and services across the USA in short supply this last year. Many blame Co Vid as many workers got sick and missed work or many stayed home to take care of children or themselves.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 01:08 AM

Time to Buy shares in MTP
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 01:11 AM

I am hopin it does have to do with market demand vs a limited production schedule and that all family members up there in Minn are healthy and survived everything that ailed them.

Any of you who know the Cavens personally are welcome to PM or text me if you have an update the rest of us dont
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:29 AM

No MB 550’s?
The world is falling apart and coming to an end.
Posted By: jrogersredsox

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:38 AM

Because they were all bought. Hahaha
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:52 AM

Clearing out inventory to make some room for the dogless models coming out?
Posted By: banchee

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:11 AM

arent theses traps made over seas

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by banchee

Not the MB line, they are US made. The Bridgers are made in Taiwan, iirc.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:19 AM

thank you warrior for advising me n that i was not aware of that will look closer on that line now if its made here in the us thanks again brother

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:25 AM

thank you warrior for advising me n that i was not aware of that will look closer on that line now if its made here in the us thanks again brother

I have been very pleased with the mb 550s this season. Their 750s are great beaver traps also. I will buy more of both.
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:39 AM

I’ve checked everyday for a month. Went down the list of trapping suppliers that was posted on here yesterday. Nothing but duke 550’s. Burning a hole in my pocket hope it’s remedied soon.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:41 AM

I hope their only problem is keeping up with demand. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:55 AM

I love 550s caught this one today. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 05:27 AM

Look at Hoosier Trapper Supply website, Schmidt Enterprises website, and Kaatz Brothers website. It looked like they might have some available.
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 06:02 AM

Hoosier👍🏻Just ordered thanks
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:25 PM

Not the MB line, they are US made. The Bridgers are made in Taiwan, iirc.[/quote]

HAHAHA wrong. do some homework, most was deleted or banded from this sight[/quote]

Are you referring the the disclaimer that sometimes the use foreign parts when they can't get domestic sources to keep up or sonething thing more?
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:27 PM

This won't last long.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:34 PM

Made or assembled in USA it’s a big difference. Anybody know where the parts come from are they all USA produced??? Many companies maim made in USA when the parts are produced out of the country but assembled here

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:36 PM

Just got off the phone with Jeff from MTP and he said they are swamped. He said he's getting orders from vendors looking for a hundred dozen traps at a time. No issues, they're not struggling or going out of business...they're hiring. Be patient.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:37 PM

My lures are made right here in NC, but parts that are used in the lures come from overseas, such as Ethiopian Civet musk, Asafoedida, etc. Does that mean they're not made in the USA?
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:46 PM

Exactly right, a lot of traps might have components, or the steel itself from foreign sources, but built in the U.S.A.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
My lures are made right here in NC, but parts that are used in the lures come from overseas, such as Ethiopian Civet musk, Asafoedida, etc. Does that mean they're not made in the USA?

I remember a post a while back about glass bottles for lures made in the USA. If I can buy made in the USA product's I do but sometimes I just can't afford to pay for them. Just because you buy a few ingredients from out of the USA doesn't mean they're not made here.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:51 PM

And if the lack of 550s is due to waiting on shipments of parts from china or Taiwan, then why is there no shortage of Bridgers, which are made in Taiwan? Some folks are just idiots and like to bash others.
Posted By: JComer

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:54 PM

Most people want made in the USA because they want to support American workers but the made in the USA sticker can be confusing because most components used are made oversea's and assembled in the USA you would be hard pressed these days to find a product that all the components and assembly is don't exclusively in the US, but if you just want to buy 100% USA then I suggest you buy used Victor double long springs or Onedia Jump traps,

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 02:57 PM

I asked Tim about the shortage. I asked him if the Covid was affecting his parts suppliers and this was his response...

No, Lyle from LFS Tool and Die that runs our parts has kept up very well. He is presently about 8,000 traps ahead of the assembly crew. The demand is so great and with only 3 people building them they can’t keep up. Three guys can build about 50 dozen in a 10 hour day but if you get orders for 100 dozen you go backwards and that is what happened.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:06 PM

Sounds like the kind of problem to have...Demand is through the roof!

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:06 PM

Here's a more in depth explanation about the lack of 550s.

Hi Paul. First of all, unprecedented demand for the MB-550 and most other trapping supplies. I think if a person asked all the dealers in the country they would say the same thing. More demand than the boom of 2013-2014. Second, definite hoarding is taking place. Normal retail orders of a dozen or two 550’s turned into individual orders for 10-15 dozen. Dealers were trying to stock up so instead of ordering the normal 10-20 dozen they ordered 50-100 dozen. We got so far behind that we had to take them down on our website and try to take care of our dealers. These dealers spent their advertising money and deserve to have a shot at making a sale. Most dealers have been very patient and understanding as they see dozens of other items that they can’t get. We are making progress and getting closer each day to being able to activate our site again for retail sales but need to get a few more dealers their stock first to be fair. Chris, Frank, and Rob are building them as fast as they can 6 to 7 days a week. We had crew out with Covid for several weeks which of course hurt production. We also had crew members that last spring when we had to briefly shut down due to state mandate never came back to work and have now been on unemployment for 10 ½ months. We have 3 empty trap assembly work stations that we would love to fill but hiring is nearly impossible. There are many very qualified people that we sure could use to assemble traps or pack orders but they are happy to just stay home and draw unemployment.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:08 PM

What Paul said. I called MTP awhile ago about the MB 550 trap. The demand is for this trap has been unbelievable.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:08 PM

Lfs tool and die is in the US just down the road from them like they say on their sight. They are honest with the disclaimer on their sight. I would rather have them making traps and getting them sent out than shut down waiting on parts. Even if that means at times they must go to a source outside the US to do so.

Funny I bet those complaining are fine and dandy buying dukes foriegn copys of mbs superior traps to save a few bucks.

I think I will buy more mb traps even though I don't need any more right now.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:37 PM

Sounds like he has some weary workers there. I wish I lived closer.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 03:41 PM

Charlie at Hoosier Trapper had some yesterday, not sure if he still does.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:23 PM

Schmitt has them I ordered some this morning
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:23 PM

Your supposed to be able to report people on unemployment refusing work so that they lose their benefits and need to work again. You can't refuse work and chose to stay on unemployment. They actually make you pay back the unemployment you have received when they find out.
Posted By: Jc Fitzy

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:26 PM

You would lose unemployment here in NY if you turned down your employer to come back to work .
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:42 PM

Not if you say your afraid of the virus.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Lfs tool and die is in the US just down the road from them like they say on their sight. They are honest with the disclaimer on their sight. I would rather have them making traps and getting them sent out than shut down waiting on parts. Even if that means at times they must go to a source outside the US to do so.

Funny I bet those complaining are fine and dandy buying dukes foriegn copys of mbs superior traps to save a few bucks.

I think I will buy more mb traps even though I don't need any more right now.

Amen x10
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 04:51 PM

I am shocked at this thread. I figured trapping supply stores were barely hanging on with the low fur prices. I am thrilled to hear that isn't the case!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 07:06 PM

The proper term for "hoarders" is "Disaster Preparedness". Some folks have been preparing for many years. Some folks are just now absorbing what's going on.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Not if you say your afraid of the virus.

Only in a libtard state!!!
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 07:50 PM

Thanks for the update Paul. I had a thread asking this same question.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
The proper term for "hoarders" is "Disaster Preparedness". Some folks have been preparing for many years. Some folks are just now absorbing what's going on.

Stinking dirt bag hoarders is correct. Prepping is having a laid in supply long before needed not panic buying or worse buying for resale.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 07:59 PM

As for hoarding traps I have plenty but could always use more. I did give my oldest son that has no interest in trapping a dozen duke #1 1/2 a dozen mb 550s a dozen 150s and 3 belisles 330s . He asked me what he was supposed to do with these. I told him your gun is good for hunting and self defense but these traps will also put food on the table and can be used over and over and over. I told him you have a wife and a kid now your main job is to keep them safe and fed if the world goes to cr ap (he knows how to trap) he said makes sence and thank you.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Huntall76
As for hoarding traps I have plenty but could always use more. I did give my oldest son that has no interest in trapping a dozen duke #1 1/2 a dozen mb 550s a dozen 150s and 3 belisles 300s . He asked me what he was supposed to do with these. I told him your gun is good for hunting and self defense but these traps will also put food on the table and can be used over and over and over. I told him you have a wife and a kid now your main job is to keep them safe and fed if the world goes to cr ap (he knows how to trap) he said makes and thank you.

What's his address? I will watch for the yard sale? wink just kidding. Great job dad.
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 08:12 PM

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 08:17 PM

Stinking dirt bag hoarders is correct. Prepping is having a laid in supply long before needed not panic buying or worse buying for resale.

Aw now why ya gotta be like that?
Come hang out with us free market capitalists for a change of scenery. We like it here no matter what is going on. We just sip tea and take it all bud. Oh and we laugh when anyone who isn't a free market guy or gal tries to cobble onto the term awakened or woke. It is cute. very cute like a new speckled pup LOL

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 08:50 PM

Dirt bag hoarders???? I don't understand why anyone cares what another person does with their own money. Is there a shortage of ammo YES was there a shortage of ammo a year ago NO was there a shortage of traps a year ago NO!!!!! If a person does not plan ahead and gets caught lacking/wanting either one of the to items or countless other items they could have gotten a year ago than that's on you/them. Instead of being upset let this be a lesson to you, when it's plentiful and cheap "stack it deep".

I had a similar mind set as you during the last .22lr shortage (minus the name calling) and learned from that and prepared myself for when it happened again, which is now. It will get back to somewhat normal again and my advice to you is prepare yourself for the next time it happens because it will.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 08:54 PM

lots of supply issues in this business right now. steel mills running way behind, people not working due to taking advantage of the covid unemployment, etc. we're still able to get trap parts from lyle at LFS tool and die, but cant get any springs from our spring suppliers, as they cant get the material in to make them. we'll be dead in the water in a couple more days as we wont have the needed parts to complete anything. year to date supply sales are about double from last year at this time, and most suppliers are running out of many items, and have no idea when theyll be able to get anything in. cavens are about 10 minutes down the road from us, and they cant get help. parts are coming in at a regular pace, but noone there to assemble. welders, assembly people and others are needed but most are sitting at home or out on the ice fishing. this admin is paying people very well to stay home and not work.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Aw now why ya gotta be like that?
Come hang out with us free market capitalists for a change of scenery. We like it here no matter what is going on. We just sip tea and take it all bud. Oh and we laugh when anyone who isn't a free market guy or gal tries to cobble onto the term awakened or woke. It is cute. very cute like a new speckled pup LOL

I'm as free market as the next guy but mama did teach me to not be greedy and take the last piece of chicken off the plate.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 09:02 PM

So I get this photo via PM as if to prove a point. Really? How hard is it to understand two brands, same owners and common packing boxes. You know kind of like ford and mercury or gm/chevy/buick/cadillac/pontiac.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 09:03 PM

Why all the Caven hate?
Jealous much?

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 09:07 PM

FYI, Taiwan is DEMOCRATIC FREE China not the commies. While it may not be made in the USA it isn't the CCP and slave labor.
Posted By: otterdog

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/11/21 09:24 PM

And if the lack of 550s is due to waiting on shipments of parts from china or Taiwan, then why is there no shortage of Bridgers, which are made in Taiwan? Some folks are just idiots and like to bash others.

Thank you Paul for saying this so I didn’t have to. Loll. All of that was addressed by the Cavens and settled. Why some people won’t let it go I do not know.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:04 AM

Here's a more in depth explanation about the lack of 550s.

Hi Paul. First of all, unprecedented demand for the MB-550 and most other trapping supplies. I think if a person asked all the dealers in the country they would say the same thing. More demand than the boom of 2013-2014. Second, definite hoarding is taking place. Normal retail orders of a dozen or two 550’s turned into individual orders for 10-15 dozen. Dealers were trying to stock up so instead of ordering the normal 10-20 dozen they ordered 50-100 dozen. We got so far behind that we had to take them down on our website and try to take care of our dealers. These dealers spent their advertising money and deserve to have a shot at making a sale. Most dealers have been very patient and understanding as they see dozens of other items that they can’t get. We are making progress and getting closer each day to being able to activate our site again for retail sales but need to get a few more dealers their stock first to be fair. Chris, Frank, and Rob are building them as fast as they can 6 to 7 days a week. We had crew out with Covid for several weeks which of course hurt production. We also had crew members that last spring when we had to briefly shut down due to state mandate never came back to work and have now been on unemployment for 10 ½ months. We have 3 empty trap assembly work stations that we would love to fill but hiring is nearly impossible. There are many very qualified people that we sure could use to assemble traps or pack orders but they are happy to just stay home and draw unemployment.

"We also had crew members that last spring when we had to briefly shut down due to state mandate never came back to work and have now been on unemployment for 10 1/2 months."

So MTP has work for these individuals, and they still haven't come back to work after 10 1/2 months? I'd be asking some questions.

"Employers who follow federal, state, and local safety measures and call employees back to their former jobs will likely be recognized as providing "suitable work." Workers cannot refuse suitable work and get any kind of unemployment benefits. They also can't remain on unemployment simply because benefits pay them more than what they'd earn after returning to work. The Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration additionally makes it clear that a general fear of exposure to the virus isn't enough to refuse work or quit your job."
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:36 AM

During Covid employment and benefits have changed drastically. People can by law stay on unemployment currently if 1 they say they have a risk of health with Covid. Yes by law you are obligated to allow them to stay away even if you have work for them. Federal and state law in all 50 states currently. OSHA got it involved about 6 months into the Covid. Then there’s the vaccine which is turning into another issue. We have a country of lazy individuals that would sooner suck off the system then work. System in place encourages it. I worked for Tim and Nancy for 8 yrs. Great people. Work ethic outstanding. If they say they are swamped they are swamped.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:39 AM

That box picture is confusing- It looks like MB jaws made by Bridger? in Taiwan. Is that correct?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:40 AM

Well first, good for mtp for being busy even in this down fur market. Second, pleeeaasse tell me they are still planning on bringing out the dogless version this year.
That's the only reason I haven't ordered any more 550s yet.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:41 AM

Great opportunity for a trapper to get in with a good company. Work the trade. Theses opportunities don’t come often.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
That box picture is confusing- It looks like MB jaws made by Bridger? in Taiwan. Is that correct?

That was explained a long time ago and was a one time mistake.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 12:49 AM

Y’all just stick with the 550’s and leave the 450’s in stock. They hold coyotes and bobcats just as well as the 550’s. No issues with them yet and don’t care where they’re made.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 01:25 AM

I don't know what to make of all this, should i feel sad for the Cavens they have too much demand or should i feel glad they are not going under due to lack of sales? lol

Id of never dreamed in this rotten fur market supply dealer's were swamped with orders, good to know at any rate cause we need them ALL around.

I understand the lack of parts issue as last summer i wasn't able to find odd stuff that normally you can just pick up in ANY hardware store, even certain color's of paint cause pigment of all things was in short supply!

Won't last long now that we have China Joe in office, should be plenty of stuff being shipped from China any day now.

No clue how you sort out the work force issue, buddy has same problem trying to manufacture goose neck trailers.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 02:19 AM

According to Pa Trappers on facebook guys been knocking them dead all season. Mostly canines, not much said about water fur. Sure am glad I dont need a 20 dollar trap to catch mink coon and rats.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 02:33 AM

I spoke with the Mckee's at Southern Snares a few weeks before Brian had a heart attack. His wife said business has been incredible. Had to limit their Amazon and Ebay sites because they couldnt keep up.

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 02:40 AM

i apologige for getting this ball rolling in the wrong direction,i gather from all the posts the traps referenced are made here and employ americans thats good enough for me and i will buy more in the futute, banchee
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 02:45 AM

It's been a very strong year but there are not as many dealers left in this business as there once was.
Sadly.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 01:08 PM

Pcs and mb don’t even list the 550. Not like its listed and just out of stock.

Poof, gone.

I hope not.

Edit: Just read MB’s reply to Paul. All is well with the world.

I’d take that job but the commute would be traumatic. crazy
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 02:39 PM

You could say- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 05:28 PM

I’m looking to retire and do something else. To bad im not closer I would be asking for a job.
Posted By: JSfab

Re: Why are MB 550's out of stock? - 02/12/21 06:10 PM

I sure wish I lived a bit closer, I'd be more than happy to fill one of those positions. When I was younger it was my dream job to build traps. Still would be for that matter grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums