Home

A rough day

Posted By: RFrame

A rough day - 02/11/21 05:36 AM

Pulled traps last night and today so I can head south Friday to go guide a couple Barbary sheep hunts. Had 29 traps out. Two were dug up by coyotes, missed a fox, two missed bobcats, and caught a grey.

I had to take the wife’s truck to pull traps cause I dropped mine off at the mechanic yesterday. Mechanic called just as I was finishing up and said that my 2015 Cummins with 180K miles needs a new transmission, $6200 heartbreak

Posted By: Marty

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 05:46 AM

ouch.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 05:59 AM

Ever think if it wasn't for bad luck you might not have any luck at all?

Tomorrow is a new day, it can't git too much worse look at it that way
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 08:19 AM

Cummins: an engine so good no transmission can keep up.
Sorry for the bad new Rframe. Seems to be a fairly common theme with my Cummins buddies. Makes me appreciate my Duramax/ Allison even more smile
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 10:11 AM

i would think you could get a new tranny for, less than that , that's what my mechanic did, just changed it out ,
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 11:24 AM

At least you've got the grey to off set the cost. Sorry, my bad, couldn't resist. Past warrantee no doubt but any hope of appealing to the manufacturer for help?
Posted By: Hanger

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 11:59 AM

My 07 went out around the same miles and bought a after market tranny made for hauling heavy loads, rated for 600hp cost the same $6,200. Pushin 390k now with no issues with transmission.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 12:22 PM

I see Dodge still has problems with the transmissions. I will never own a Dodge truck due to this fact. I have heard enough times about faulty transmissions in these trucks over the last 25 years to know I don't want one.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 12:30 PM

You’re going to hunt Barbary Sheep.....I don’t see any negatives here...
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 12:38 PM

anything can have a problem

my 2001 E350 at 63K , it was clearly a bad torque converter that came apart killed the rest Ford wanted to out another 3K dollar crate transmission in. found a local transmission shop that rebuilt mine 1750.00 it then went almost another 200K and it was rusting out badly and had no brakes but the transmission was still good.

find a shop that rebuilds them and gat a quote , rather than a dealer crate transmission. the shop that deals in them regular knows what goes out and often have a better part to replace it with than the factory put in.

my 1998 dodge caravan was like this 140K while doing 60mph the planetary gears let loose transmission guy said , you made it longer than everyone else you must drive it easy usually those went out about 104K-114k $3400 to rebuild that one and it went another 100K and was still good not problems but so many other issues that weren't the transmission it had to go
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 12:41 PM

i can buy a whole new truck for 6200.00, lol.

Sadly it doesn't matter what brand vehicle you buy now, they're all junk!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 12:53 PM

Even old man ford....If he was here would have to agree.

But like all things now, It would be covered up.

Have fun hunting.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 01:16 PM

Is that the Automatic or the G-56 ? We have a 2012 with the 6 speed, regular cab with just 40K on it. I think the automatics have had a lot of issues, which is why we went with the manual. If yours is the G-56, there is a guy out of Texas that builds them and guarantees up to 1000HP,with an exchange they run around 5K. The newer Dodge 8 speeds are supposed to hold up much better than the old automatics.
Posted By: EdP

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 01:18 PM

I've got just over 180K on my 2007 Cummins. No sign of problems yet but i make a point of taking it easy on it.
Posted By: RFrame

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 02:10 PM

Mechanic said he could install a rebuilt but he suggested a new one with a 3yr 100k warranty, said it would be worth the extra cost. This mechanic is a guy I’ve known for quite a while and he’s always treated me good. I almost wanted a second opinion but I didn’t want to offend him. It’s an automatic and has spent a lot of time pulling a trailer on rough and muddy roads. Some of the roads and conditions I have to pull a gooseneck tandem dually in are ridiculous. I’m talking heavy chains on all fours and differentials dragging in the mud. And in the summer when it’s not muddy the roads are so rough you’ll bounce your head off the top of the cab if you’re not careful. I’ll probably try to trade this truck in and get something with less miles still under warranty and a manual transmission. I might just start the drive them til warranty runs out and trade me in game. With my work and what I use my trucks for they’re usually junk by the time they’re paid off anyways.

Just want to remind all you guys what kind of society we live in now days. Make sure you use the word transmission when referring to your vehicle. If you say you blew a tranny and the wrong person hears you you might get a funny look or if you’re in California you might have them lined up waiting their turn.

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 02:13 PM

Lol, thanks for the good laugh!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 02:18 PM

[/quote]Just want to remind all you guys what kind of society we live in now days. Make sure you use the word transmission when referring to your vehicle. If you say you blew a tranny and the wrong person hears you you might get a funny look or if you’re in California you might have them lined up waiting their turn.[quote]

laugh
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: A rough day - 02/11/21 04:04 PM

if they will give you a 100K warrantee on the replacment it probably is worth it

when they wanted 3K for a replament in my ford no one said I was getting any longer warrantee than I got with the rebuild guy which was 15K
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: A rough day - 02/12/21 05:26 AM

I had a dodge trk. gas burner , two weeks after the warranty went out the transmission went out.
My 07 Silverado has 424,000 miles on it, no trans problem yet.
Keeping fingers crossed.
Posted By: DWC

Re: A rough day - 02/12/21 05:38 AM

Werent the cummins taking out transmissions in the early 2000’s??? How in the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) havent they fixed that?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: A rough day - 02/12/21 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
I see Dodge still has problems with the transmissions. I will never own a Dodge truck due to this fact. I have heard enough times about faulty transmissions in these trucks over the last 25 years to know I don't want one.

My brother lost the tranny in his 2017 Dodge at around 60 thousand miles .

I can't believe after all the yrs of bad trannys they still can't get it right
Posted By: Marathon

Re: A rough day - 02/12/21 12:03 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Maybe the auto industry as a whole has it's own saying, "If people keep buying it, don't fix it."

Re: A rough day - 02/12/21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Marathon
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Maybe the auto industry as a whole has it's own saying, "If people keep buying it, don't fix it."

Well of course, it's called planned redundancy. Manufacturers have perfected the art of failure at the end of warrantee periods. No where is this more evident than in the appliance world.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums