Home

Grey fox in cubby set

Posted By: Ethan1234

Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 06:42 PM

Could i catch and be successful with trapping grey fox in cubby suts upright on a tree

Ive notice an incline in greys and a decline in reds in my area i want ti trap as many greys as i can
Posted By: PushCoTrapper

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 06:51 PM

[Linked Image]
Caught two in bobcat cubby sets this year. They really seem to like Dobbins purffect lure.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 07:29 PM

Just set your best coyote set and a grey or cat will clog it up if you have any. If you just want to target them, move your trap a little closer to the hole, pipe, or scent post.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Just set your best coyote set and a grey or cat will clog it up if you have any. If you just want to target them, move your trap a little closer to the hole, pipe, or scent post.

This^^^^
But greys are suckers to cubby sets. Making cubbies for greys is WAY more work than a simple dirthole set. Make trapping easier....not harder. It'll be more fun that way

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 08:42 PM

Are greys easy to catch in cubbys

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 08:44 PM

I was talking about using wooden cubby boxes

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 08:46 PM

Ill try scent posts and cubbys this coming upmfall

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan1234
I was talking about using wooden cubby boxes

Never have used anything other than natural cubbies made out of tree limbs and such. Greys will walk into cage traps and stick their heads into coni-boxes...so, yes. But still not as easy and dependable as a dirthole set.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 09:08 PM

Ok so the reason i cant use dirt holes is cause the spot i want to catch them in is rocky and thick so cubbys are the only thing i can put there

Or is there another set i could use for fox in very rocky locations
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 09:33 PM

We catch plenty of greys in cages, cubby should be no different.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 09:43 PM

Caught one in a bucket set during a downpour. Maybe it was seeking shelter. Twenty years ago.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/14/21 10:08 PM

Ok would a 155 coni be big enough for ones
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 12:00 AM

Flat Sets
Bout a dozen types in Charles Dobbins book Variations of the Flat Set.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 12:19 AM

Ok would a 155 coni be big enough for ones

If I was gonna try and get them to stick their head in a bodygrip I'd go no smaller than a 7" (220s).

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

Flat Sets
Bout a dozen types in Charles Dobbins book Variations of the Flat Set.

This^^^^
And this book is very good!

Get you some 10 feet chains and good drags too. If you cant dig a hole then you probably can't stake a trap down.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 12:52 AM

Could i catch and be successful with trapping grey fox in cubby suts upright on a tree

Ive notice an incline in greys and a decline in reds in my area i want ti trap as many greys as i can

Yes it's a favorite set of mine to use on gray fox. I also make a large walk through cubby that's very effective too
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 03:02 AM

The only way to have a definite answer would be to make a set and try. Remember every animal is different.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 04:11 AM

The woods that i know there in is rockier than this and if i did maje flat sets how would i bed my trap in the rocks and i got books on making a flat set [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 04:20 AM

Greys are not real smart, if you make exposed trap blind sets on the trails they use like you would for bobcat you’ll catch em

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Greys are not real smart, if you make exposed trap blind sets on the trails they use like you would for bobcat you’ll catch em

Ok so i cannuse exposed traps cause i thought greys were smart but i guess not i just have to get big traps with expandapans

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 05:23 AM

No you don’t need big traps with expanded pans. You just have to find the pinch points in the trails and then use guiding to crowd their foot onto the trap. Greys don’t mind being guided and crowded, they aren’t like coyotes. Basically just make it so the only nice spot to step is on your pan.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bob

Ok so i cannuse exposed traps cause i thought greys were smart but i guess not i just have to get big traps with expandapans

x2
Yes. You don't need big traps I have caught plenty in 1 3/4's and 1 1/2's.

You might be able to get a dirt hole set (or similar) in that location depending on how deep the leaves and soil is before you hit big rocks.

Based off your picture this is how I would set it. I'm no pro and far from it so take it how you see fit lol.

The dead log would get an exposed trap at the top and bottom and more than likely on opposite sides (depending on terrain). I would tie an extension cable to the log for each trap. I would add small twigs to block the trap and cover the pan with a leaf or 2. The reason I would set there and like that is it looks like a perfect travel way going down to the boulder and up to the boulder ledge.
I would double check that boulder ledge on top and possibly make another exposed set there.

If I was to make a cubby there I would either make one between the rock and the big tree on the left or at the tree with "X" branches. I would pick those 2 spots because if the cat or gray is going up they would be flashy enough to investigate.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 05:44 AM

Ok thanks for the tips and i appreciate the help i wa shonna use these duke 1.5 traps that are base plated and have #2 pans on them for fox is that a good setup for fox [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 06:03 AM

Those will work just fine. Guiding is the key, make the fox step where you want it to

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 07:17 AM

Ok thanks for the help i needed it appreciate yall
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 12:23 PM

You don’t want a bigger trap for greys. An MB450 would be the perfect grey trap that holds coyotes as well. They are tiny little fox compared to a red, at least down here they are. I’ve never targeted them specifically, they just clog up my coyote sets.

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 12:55 PM

Ok so there small i dont know how small they are cause i never trapped one but i should beab,e to get one next fall

Re: Grey fox in cubby set - 02/15/21 02:22 PM

X2 Bob. Guiding goes a long way with fox yotes and cats

Gray fox averages 8-10 lbs if I remember correctly.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums