Home

Looking for an AR, but not break the bank.

Posted By: bankrunner

Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:11 AM

I am looking to purchase in the near future and keep under $1000. Thinking in .223/5.56. Anyone have really reliable ones and ones to stay away from?
Posted By: Flint Lock

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:32 AM

Smith & Wesson M&P 15. Reliable and affordable.
Posted By: PushCoTrapper

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:45 AM

Second the S&W a great AR for the money.
Posted By: Jc Fitzy

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:47 AM

Ruger 556
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:48 AM

Worst time to buy one they have you over a barrel and they know it, look at PSA and build one with on sale parts.

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:50 AM

The smith& wesson is one I have looked at. A local gun dealer had a picture on his Facebook page with a red dot for $700. It was 2 months old so he hasn't messaged me back if he still has it.

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Worst time to buy one they have you over a barrel and they know it, look at PSA and build one with on sale parts.

I have a local dealer that isn't raping people on the guns he sells and if one needs ammo, he is the one that has it or gets it shortly.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:56 AM

Right now, any one you can buy. President Bidet is going to ban them tomorrow.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 02:59 AM

Personally I think you can build a better one for less money.
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:17 AM

You may have to build one if you can find parts. I work across the street from BCM and they're getting pinched.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
I am looking to purchase in the near future and keep under $1000. Thinking in .223/5.56. Anyone have really reliable ones and ones to stay away from?

what are you looking for , a useable AR carbine or a varmint gun , longer range shooter

PSA has run some email adds in the last few day
stripped lower https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html
the rest of the kit for a little nicer gun that will take an optic well and should give a decent 400 yard group minute of man certainly and coyote at 2-250 https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...t-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-516446780.html
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:47 AM

For out of the box stuff I’d look hard at what rock river has to offer. As far as I’m concerned almost all of those cheaper models will need a trigger, and by that time they aren’t nearly as cheap as they seemed.

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

what are you looking for , a useable AR carbine or a varmint gun , longer range shooter

PSA has run some email adds in the last few day
stripped lower https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html
the rest of the kit for a little nicer gun that will take an optic well and should give a decent 400 yard group minute of man certainly and coyote at 2-250 https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...t-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-516446780.html

All around type when the SHTF , occasionally coyote hunt but have a bolt action .22-250 for that already.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trappercass
For out of the box stuff I’d look hard at what rock river has to offer. As far as I’m concerned almost all of those cheaper models will need a trigger, and by that time they aren’t nearly as cheap as they seemed.

I concur, that is why I believe a guy can build a better one cheaper.

My first AR is a Palmetto kit gun. It was all right. First thing I did was get a hogue rubberized stock and grip and then a timney trigger. Twice the gun I had then when I started. IMHO a good trigger is paramount.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
IMHO a good trigger is paramount.

I agree.

I bought the cheapest AR I could find then upgraded the trigger and a couple other small parts over time and now it's great for me, and my boy.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jc Fitzy
Ruger 556

X2. I have one. I like it. In your price range.

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I have a local dealer that isn't raping people on the guns he sells and if one needs ammo, he is the one that has it or gets it shortly.

Some parts are up 40%+ now a stripped lower that was $39last year is now $100, bolt groups were $99 they are $150 today.

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:28 PM

A good start here. Just wait for a upper you like to go on sale and your good to go.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 03:51 PM

the price isn't much different right now

most basic upper 409.99 and a most basic lower 199.99 = 610 + 40 dollars for a rear sight or buy a optic and mount

or 649 for a kit and 100 for a stripper lower you get a better trigger , sights included free float handguard it is just more potential for 100 dollars more

changing out triggers and hand guards get over 100 dollars in a hurry.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Looking for an AR, but not break the bank. - 02/15/21 06:07 PM

The ruger is about 700$ I got mine for 650$
© 2024 Trapperman Forums