Home

NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee!

Posted By: drasselt

NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:01 PM

***NTA Alert- All Members! ***

URGENT!!!
The fate of trapping on public lands may be decided by the action of the US Senate.
Rep. Deb Haaland of New Mexico has been nominated by the President to be the next Secretary of the Interior. She has expressed anti-trapping views and supports the ban of trapping on public lands in her home state. If confirmed by the Senate, she would have control over federal public land in the US.
Confirmation hearings begin with testimony next week. Please contact your Senator before then and express your opposition to this individual. The stakes have never been higher. Please act now! Action needed before Feb 22nd.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:03 PM

Please contact your Senator before then and express your opposition to this individual. The stakes have never been higher.

Please act now! Action needed before Feb 22nd.
Posted By: Born

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:04 PM

You think your turncoat Senator will listen? I know neither of my democrat Senators will. Waste of time.
Posted By: Squash

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:07 PM

X2, you think my senators, Schumer and Gillibrand will listen ? ROTFLMAO , major waste of time .
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:21 PM

Mine won't support her even if i don't contact them. Shame other states can't elect decent people to represent them.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Born
You think your turncoat Senator will listen?

On this, probably.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:23 PM

It is a shame, but my Senator Cheated her way into office. Sound familiar.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:28 PM

Probably, quite a shame. Our representatives sold us out years ago. Bush jr first bail out is when I realized they no longer represent us, 80% of Americans were not for first bail out.

Trump was a real breath of fresh air.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 05:30 PM

I'm sure that my reps will not care what my opinion is -- In fact I'm sure that our gov is just waiting for the opportunity to close fed lands in Oregon.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 07:29 PM

Is it summer? Awful lot of WHINING! Must be mosquitoes.

Cmon guys lets get some positive going here!

The Senate is close, there are plenty of Senators who it's worth a try.

Let's not just roll over dead already!
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 07:39 PM

I have no doubt that Sen. Ron Johnson will support us. However I have doubts the Sen. Tammy Baldwin will. I will be contacting both. Just about all the lands and waters I trap and hunt on are Federal.

Thanks for the heads-up Drasselt!

Moosetrot

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/17/21 07:41 PM

Thanks Moosetrot!
Posted By: trap master

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 12:45 AM

i agree we need to do everything we can politically and diplomatically, however... i have come to the conclusion that the law isnt always right. Just because government outlaws something doesnt mean im going to stop doing it if thats part of my life. Take that for what its worth.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 12:53 AM

Got NTA alert yesterday. Have already contacted both Mo senators
Posted By: bhugo

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 01:17 AM

Contacted MI senators.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 02:34 PM

Best defense is to join the National Trappers Association sad how many are not members.
Posted By: Seek

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 03:36 PM

In MN, our two commie Senators will definitely hear from me. I don't care if they ignore me or not, at least I voiced my opinion. Thanks for the reminder on the NTA, I had let mine lapse and will renew.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 03:38 PM

It will be ok. James is keeping an eye on all of them.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt

URGENT!!!
The fate of trapping on public lands may be decided by the action of the US Senate.
Rep. Deb Haaland of New Mexico has been nominated by the President to be the next Secretary of the Interior. She has expressed anti-trapping views and supports the ban of trapping on public lands in her home state. If confirmed by the Senate, she would have control over federal public land in the US.
Confirmation hearings begin with testimony next week. Please contact your Senator before then and express your opposition to this individual. The stakes have never been higher. Please act now! Action needed before Feb 22nd.

What will this administration try to ban next, Fishing?

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 08:45 PM

Done. Sent to Johnson and Baldwin

Senator Johnson-I am offering my input into the upcoming nomination of Haaland for Secretary of the Interior. My family and I hunt, fish, and trap primarily in the lands and waters within the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife and Fish Refuge on the western edge of Wisconsin. I have ethically used the resources for over 40 years, and have given back more than I have taken.

In researching Haaland I have found that she has a strong record of statement and activism against trapping in general, but specifically on federal lands. I am extremely concerned that if she is placed in the position of Secretary of the Interior she may enact changes that will be disastrous to the science-based management of the federal lands and waters that I have been a steward of for so many years, as well as those within the United States.

I am requesting that you oppose the choice of Haaland as Secretary of the Interior. Hunting, fishing, and trapping is a way of life for many citizens along the Mississippi as well in many regions across the United States. These science-based decisions have driven the resources, seasons, and regulations within the federal lands and waters for decades, and we cannot afford to upset the balances with social or emotional rationale to prohibit what has been true management of these magnificent resources.

Thank you for your time.

Moosetrot

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/18/21 09:26 PM

My 2 cents. Pales to what Moosetrot wrote but here it is:

Please oppose Rep Deb Haaland of New Mexico for Secretary of the Interior. Rep Haaland is opposed to trapping and supports a trapping ban on public lands. Obviously trapping is an important activity to many Alaskans, rural and otherwise. Most trapping in Alaska occurs on public lands, much of it under the purview of DOI. Alaska will not be well served by Deb Haaland.
Posted By: Smoky Hill

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/19/21 01:33 AM

I wrote both Kansas Senators to oppose this. This is a big deal. If trapping gets restricted on federal lands, things could go the way of California.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/19/21 02:25 AM

Good thread Drasselt. Thank you for posting this. I am contacting my representatives irregardless of what I think they might do about it. One thing that all politicians do care about is which way the political winds are blowing. If they get enough blowback they tend to re-think their position.

If Deb is appointed we need to make sure that lots of native american delegations impress upon her how important fur is culturally for native Americans. Most of the otter I have caught in the last 10 years have ended up being bought by native Americans for hair ties for pow wow events.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/19/21 05:01 PM

TTT

Moosetrot
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/19/21 11:01 PM

I wrote both of mine. They both responded. VOTE TINA SMITH OUT MINNESOTA!!!

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/19/21 11:10 PM

Curious what their response was? Good luck with that, she just got a 6 year term.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Done. Sent to Johnson and Baldwin

Senator Johnson-I am offering my input into the upcoming nomination of Haaland for Secretary of the Interior. My family and I hunt, fish, and trap primarily in the lands and waters within the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife and Fish Refuge on the western edge of Wisconsin. I have ethically used the resources for over 40 years, and have given back more than I have taken.

In researching Haaland I have found that she has a strong record of statement and activism against trapping in general, but specifically on federal lands. I am extremely concerned that if she is placed in the position of Secretary of the Interior she may enact changes that will be disastrous to the science-based management of the federal lands and waters that I have been a steward of for so many years, as well as those within the United States.

I am requesting that you oppose the choice of Haaland as Secretary of the Interior. Hunting, fishing, and trapping is a way of life for many citizens along the Mississippi as well in many regions across the United States. These science-based decisions have driven the resources, seasons, and regulations within the federal lands and waters for decades, and we cannot afford to upset the balances with social or emotional rationale to prohibit what has been true management of these magnificent resources.

Thank you for your time.

Moosetrot

This was very well done.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 12:31 AM

Thanks, Blaine County! I have had plenty of practice dealing with potential federal regulations and the politicians and others that are sometimes the catalyst for them.

Moosetrot
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 01:05 AM

February 19, 2021
Dear

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Representative Deb Haaland to serve as Secretary of the Interior. I appreciate hearing from you on this important nomination.

One of my most important responsibilities as Senator is the constitutional responsibility to offer "advice and consent" on the president's nominations for top positions in executive branch agencies and the judiciary. I take this responsibility very seriously. If confirmed, these nominees will play an integral role in running our government. So it is vital that the Senate carefully assess whether those nominees are qualified and fit for their positions. I thoroughly assess the background, experience, and philosophy of a nominee prior to deciding how to cast my vote. Each nominee is unique and I base my decision on their individual qualifications and fitness.

President Biden nominated Representative Haaland to be Secretary of the Interior.  In that position, she would be responsible for overseeing public lands, natural resources, and the federal government's relationship with and responsibilities toward sovereign Tribal nations.  I have thoroughly assessed Representative Haaland's qualifications and met with her to discuss her plans for the Department of the Interior.  I am confident that she would be an excellent secretary and I will support her nomination in the Senate.  Representative Haaland is a citizen of the Laguna Pueblo Tribe of New Mexico, and, if confirmed, she would be the first Native American cabinet secretary.  This is an exciting, historic prospect that we should all support, and as a member of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, I am confident that Representative Haaland will uphold Tribal sovereignty and work closely with Tribes to address pressing challenges.

As Secretary of the Interior, Representative Haaland would oversee the 500 million acres of public land under the protection of the Department of the Interior (DOI). This includes our national parks, forests, and monuments, and will impact our nation's water, wildlife, and energy resources. The DOI's mission is essential to our health, livelihood, and economy, in addition to the invaluable recreation opportunities that so many Americans treasure. I trust that Representative Haaland will be a responsible steward of our lands and protect them for future generations.

I look forward to supporting Representative Haaland's nomination and confirming her as Secretary of the Interior when her nomination comes to the Senate floor as soon as possible.  Thank you again for contacting me, and please don't hesitate to do so again in the future.

Sincerely,

Tina Smith
United States Senator
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
Best defense is to join the National Trappers Association sad how many are not members.

NTA Life member

Thanks Drasselt

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 01:32 AM

As I said , complete waste of time.

Member FTA
Posted By: Dirt

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner

February 19, 2021
Dear

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Representative Deb Haaland to serve as Secretary of the Interior. I appreciate hearing from you on this important nomination.

One of my most important responsibilities as Senator is the constitutional responsibility to offer "advice and consent" on the president's nominations for top positions in executive branch agencies and the judiciary. I take this responsibility very seriously. If confirmed, these nominees will play an integral role in running our government. So it is vital that the Senate carefully assess whether those nominees are qualified and fit for their positions. I thoroughly assess the background, experience, and philosophy of a nominee prior to deciding how to cast my vote. Each nominee is unique and I base my decision on their individual qualifications and fitness.

President Biden nominated Representative Haaland to be Secretary of the Interior.  In that position, she would be responsible for overseeing public lands, natural resources, and the federal government's relationship with and responsibilities toward sovereign Tribal nations.  I have thoroughly assessed Representative Haaland's qualifications and met with her to discuss her plans for the Department of the Interior.  I am confident that she would be an excellent secretary and I will support her nomination in the Senate.  Representative Haaland is a citizen of the Laguna Pueblo Tribe of New Mexico, and, if confirmed, she would be the first Native American cabinet secretary.  This is an exciting, historic prospect that we should all support, and as a member of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, I am confident that Representative Haaland will uphold Tribal sovereignty and work closely with Tribes to address pressing challenges.

As Secretary of the Interior, Representative Haaland would oversee the 500 million acres of public land under the protection of the Department of the Interior (DOI). This includes our national parks, forests, and monuments, and will impact our nation's water, wildlife, and energy resources. The DOI's mission is essential to our health, livelihood, and economy, in addition to the invaluable recreation opportunities that so many Americans treasure. I trust that Representative Haaland will be a responsible steward of our lands and protect them for future generations.

I look forward to supporting Representative Haaland's nomination and confirming her as Secretary of the Interior when her nomination comes to the Senate floor as soon as possible.  Thank you again for contacting me, and please don't hesitate to do so again in the future.

Sincerely,

Tina Smith
United States Senator

Maybe I missed something, but what does Haaland's race have to do with any of this? confused

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 03:41 AM

Agree Dirt. Tina Smith: " I have thoroughly assessed Representative Haaland's qualifications" and the only thing she could come up with was she was from the Laguna Pueblo Tribe?
That's very nice but ????

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 03:42 AM

As I said , complete waste of time.

Member FTA

That's the spirit!

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 04:13 AM

I was going to get into that in my manifesto but decided to avoid it. The fact that she is Native American has absolutely nothing to do with her background and skills in managing OUR lands and waters. Fine example of proliferating a belief that somehow she will have a greater connection and sense of protection of the land just because she is a Native American. I have the highest respect and regard for Native Americans but in this case the selection must be based on background and skills rather than a preconceived notion.

Moosetrot

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 04:16 AM

You don't seem to understand drasselt. They do not care about me or you. They only care about themselves. Did you read Tina Smiths response to dustytinner

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 04:22 AM

Tina Smith could work for our DNR. Inclusiveness has become their motto. Any Minnesotans read the MN Outdoor news. The latest roundtable was all about how to be more inclusive. Talk about mowed trails in WMA and bathrooms and school outings. Absolutely asinine. Linwood schools all ready have a few hundred acres with mowed and maintained trails, not to mention all of MN's state parks.
Posted By: corky

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 12:36 PM

No response yet from my WI Senators.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 12:54 PM

Tina Smith could work for our DNR. Inclusiveness has become their motto. Any Minnesotans read the MN Outdoor news. The latest roundtable was all about how to be more inclusive. Talk about mowed trails in WMA and bathrooms and school outings. Absolutely asinine. Linwood schools all ready have a few hundred acres with mowed and maintained trails, not to mention all of MN's state parks.

Tina Smith and her party are why the MNDNR is the way it is. If we don't find a way to vote these folks out we are doomed.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 12:55 PM

Agree Dirt. Tina Smith: " I have thoroughly assessed Representative Haaland's qualifications" and the only thing she could come up with was she was from the Laguna Pueblo Tribe?
That's very nice but ????

In her world that's all it takes.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 01:06 PM

I remember the Obama years pulling into a sweet honey hole of a cat spot and there on Federal Land a new sign had been posted for the 1st time in my life. "CLOSED BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF INTERIOR"
"for the benefit of all habitat."

I thought to myself, "Did habitat make a phone call?"

Under Trump = it all opened up and I killed a bunch of nice bobcats.
Under Biden.... I doubt they tossed those signs. They are propped in a backroom and they almost have them ready to load in the pretty green-blue electric trucks.

I remember now >>> I never ever liked the human definition of Dominion.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 02:17 PM

Ain't that the truth Mark June. They are cheating SOB's
Posted By: beeman

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 02:48 PM

URGENT!!!

I have tried to confirm what you posted but have not been able to verify. Do you have a link to what you posted? I am talking about her anti-trapping and ban of trapping on public lands.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 03:19 PM

I don’t want to post links to anti trapping sites, but several have touted her anti trapping stance.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 03:28 PM

"Rep. Haaland appeared in our video against trapping on public lands in 2018 and she delivered an inspirational welcoming address during Guardians’ virtual Gala this September."

"Feb 1, 2021 — Congresswoman Deb Haaland says trapping is "the cruelest form of death that ... 'With only 87 wolves in the wild in New Mexico, it's one of the most ... We support Roxy's Law — the bill to ban private, recreational trapping on ..."

"The Wildlife Conservation and Public Safety Act under consideration by the Legislature is also known as 'Roxy's Law. ' A bill that would outlaw the use of traps, snares and wildlife poison on public lands in New Mexico cleared its first legislative hearing Tuesday."

" Deb Haaland has long advocated for eliminating trapping on our public lands:
“It’s just the cruelest form of death that we can inflict on an animal.” "

"We have seen that in action—as a champion for our causes at the state level, like our successful fight to stop coyote killing contests; as an enthusiast for plant-based eating; and as a supporter of our continued work to ban traps, snares, and poisons on our public lands. "

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 05:38 PM

You don't seem to understand drasselt. They do not care about me or you. They only care about themselves. Did you read Tina Smiths response to dustytinner

I understand your frustration Born but MN only has 2 Senators out of 100. I bet trappers are not the only ones advocating against Rep Haaland. Energy, ranchers, etc cannot be happy with this Biden "uniter"!

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 05:47 PM

"MISSOULA, Mont. – Reacting to President-elect Joe Biden’s planned nomination of Rep. Deb Haaland of New Mexico as secretary of the Department of the Interior, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers President and CEO Land Tawney issued the following response:

“Rep. Haaland has been a vocal and effective leader in the House of Representatives, championing conservation issues and elevating critical voices from indigenous communities in her home state of New Mexico. Her familiarity with the West and our public lands and waters are an asset that will serve hunters, anglers and all outdoor enthusiasts as she faces critical decisions for the Interior Department from Day One.

“From potentially devastating energy development in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to irresponsible mining within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness watershed, the future of America’s public lands – and healthy fish and wildlife populations, as well as our cherished outdoor traditions – are at a crossroads. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers looks forward to working with Rep. Haaland as she assumes the interior secretary post.”"

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 06:04 PM

MISSOULA - not surprising - Backcountry Hunters Anglers - no surprise either.

Wonder how long before the wokesters dump on them for having guns and killing meat.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 06:12 PM

Born:

But now that Haaland could be on track for confirmation hearings to begin next month — perhaps as soon as next week — the fierce opposition is starting to make itself known.

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who sits on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, which will oversee Haaland's confirmation proceedings, appears ready to hold Haaland to account for the Biden administration's plans to stop issuing new leases for oil and gas drilling on federal lands.

"It won't hurt the people who are sitting around congratulating themselves on 'leave it in the ground' policies," Cassidy told E&E News. "It will hurt a family who was able to send their children to a better school, take a nice vacation in the summertime. ... It will destroy their livelihoods."

Rep. Pete Stauber (R-Minn.), who as a House member does not get a vote on whether Haaland is installed at the Interior Department or not, is nonetheless seeking to use his platform to call attention to what he says are worrisome elements of her record.

"The nomination of Representative Haaland as Interior Secretary embodies clear support for the Green New Deal and a rejection of even the potential of high-wage jobs," Stauber wrote yesterday in a letter to Biden co-signed by 14 fellow House Republicans.

The members added, "We implore you in the strongest terms to withdraw [her] nomination ... and instead nominate a consensus-driven individual who will not implement policies that will kill jobs and increase the country's reliance on foreign adversaries."

There has been speculation that Haaland won't be confirmed until later in February or even March, with Democrats hoping to avoid a situation where they have too many vacancies in their slim House majority and it becomes more difficult to advance the early pieces of the new president's legislative agenda (Greenwire, Dec. 22, 2020).

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 06:14 PM

Here's a little more Born

So does Haaland. In the previous Congress, she co-sponsored H.R. 5598, a bill to reinstate the Superior National Forest mining prohibition that the Trump administration axed. Her support for the bill represents one of her "attacks on responsible development," Stauber's letter contends.

The mine could be a test case for Haaland at Interior, as the department's Bureau of Land Management is leading the project's environmental review. It could also come up at her confirmation hearings, but Stauber will have to find senators who are sympathetic to his cause to press the case.

Minnesota's two Democratic senators, Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith, have been somewhat reticent in the past to dive into the Twin Metals debate, but both are highly unlikely to make it an issue that would jeopardize Haaland's confirmation prospects in a split legislative body

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 10:50 PM

I think that if Haaland is confirmed a lot of our lives are going to change. She scares me.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/20/21 11:28 PM

A lot more bobcats will live, that's for sure.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/21/21 01:44 AM

dressalt

Pete Stauber is my representative. You can thank me now for voting for him.

Tina Smith and Amy Klobochar did not get my vote.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/21/21 04:55 AM

dressalt

Pete Stauber is my representative. You can thank me now for voting for him.

Tina Smith and Amy Klobochar did not get my vote.

Thanks Born!
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/23/21 02:41 PM

Her confirmation hearing is going on right now, you can listen in live.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:03 AM

Murkowski Reportedly Skeptical of Haaland:

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2...h-interior-nominee-on-fossil-fuels-jobs/

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 02:07 PM

IMO Murkowski is still a yes vote. Nothing in that political speak to make me believe she will oppose this appointment.
Rep. Don Young captain statement is why I believe this.

She was introduced by a guest to the Senate, Alaska’s lone Congressman, Rep. Don Young, who said though he and Haaland disagree on carbon fuels, the two of them had worked together across the political aisle in the House Natural Resources Committee.

“I have a theory, because I’m a mariner, that the captain of the ship has a right to choose who he has as the crew,” Young said in his introduction of Haaland to the Senate committee. “President Biden has chosen Deb, and she has accepted, and I would suggest, respectfully, you’ll find out that she will listen to you.”

Young said while they may not change each other’s final opinions, “it’s my job to convince her she’s not all right, and her job to convince me that I’m not all right.”

Young noted the historic implication if Haaland were to be confirmed as Secretary of the Interior.

“She’ll be able to raise the American Indian, the first Americans to the position I think they can be and have achieved in the state of Alaska. For that I’m very proud,” he said.

Very sorry drasselt, It's a done deal

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:16 PM

Murkowski was very critical in her questioning today, but could just be for show.
I messaged King (Maine) with extreme disappointment that he failed to bring up the lynx delisting under ESA. Won't matter, he's a yes for Haaland, but sometimes you gotta get it off your chest!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:27 PM

You think your turncoat Senator will listen? I know neither of my democrat Senators will. Waste of time.

Same here in MN. Our two senators have always voted the opposite of my opinion. No point in contacting them for anything. They aren't interested in what their constituents think unless it's in agreement with their left wing agenda.
Posted By: k snow

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

Same here in MN. Our two senators have always voted the opposite of my opinion. No point in contacting them for anything. They aren't interested in what their constituents think unless it's in agreement with their left wing agenda.

Sportsmen and women need to stand up and start yelling. If we stay quiet, they'll just roll over us. I know it seems pointless some time, but their side has never and will never give up. We have to fight.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:47 PM

If nothing else, this hearing is revealing that she has next to ZERO knowledge or understanding about the agency she's going to be approved to lead.
When questioned by Daines (Montana) about her guiding principles (supposedly science) in voting to keep grizzlies on the Endangered Species list after they exceeded scientific recovery goals, her response? "I guess I was caring about the bears".
Enlightening to say the least.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:51 PM

Haaland actually seems to support hunting and fishing, just not trapping. She probably understands killing for food and livelihood, not so much for ego.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:52 PM

You have to fight or they will absolutely steam roll. Give up and you're done.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Haaland actually seems to support hunting and fishing, just not trapping. She probably understands killing for food and livelihood, not so much for ego.

There's more ego in hunting and more livelihood in trapping. Think she's got it backwards.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:05 PM

I used to make my livelihood from all three activities. Now only two. The State game management agency makes their money on only two also, but it has always been that way.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:06 PM

Daines just specifically brought up hunting, fishing and trapping opportunities in the live hearing. She stated that she supports hunting and fishing, but failed to state that she supports trapping. He mentioned trapping twice. She did not mention it.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:26 PM

Don Young support is a surprise but then again it isn't in some ways. His defense of trapping goes way back. This is a copy/paste from a 1995 Newsweek article:

By protecting loggers and oil drillers, the Alaskan lawmakers insist they are just trying to help constituents. President Clinton is threatening vetoes But Young, in particular, will be hard to slow down. At one hearing, he insisted steel-jaw traps aren't painful for animals. To illustrate the point, he closed his own hand in a trap and left it there. In the end, Young succeeded in thwarting a federal ban on the traps.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:34 PM

Don Young support is a surprise but then again it isn't in some ways. His defense of trapping goes way back. This is a copy/paste from a 1995 Newsweek article:

By protecting loggers and oil drillers, the Alaskan lawmakers insist they are just trying to help constituents. President Clinton is threatening vetoes But Young, in particular, will be hard to slow down. At one hearing, he insisted steel-jaw traps aren't painful for animals. To illustrate the point, he closed his own hand in a trap and left it there. In the end, Young succeeded in thwarting a federal ban on the traps.

A lot goes on behind the scenes. Just speculating, but I wonder if Young spoke with her about trapping and other AK issues prior to offering his support.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:39 PM

She can't really ban trapping on all Federal lands in Alaska. Some lands, trapping is protected under ANILCA. Her focus may be more about BIA than wildlife.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:52 PM

She can't really ban trapping on all Federal lands in Alaska. Some lands, trapping is protected under ANILCA.

No, but I do think there's a good chance of this issue resurfacing, and challenging the state's authority to manage wildlife on fed refuge lands:
https://www.energy.senate.gov/2017/4/president-trump-signs-resolution-overturning-u-s-fish-and-wildlife-regulation#:~:text=On%20February%207%2C%202017%2C%20Alaska,federal%20refuge%20lands%20in%20Alaska.&text=The%20Senate%20passed%20H.J.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:55 PM

She can't really ban trapping on all Federal lands in Alaska. Some lands, trapping is protected under ANILCA. Her focus may be more about BIA than wildlife.

Good point. If she took a hands off approach to the wildlife side of the position that might be a good thing for trappers.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jwood

Good point. If she took a hands off approach to the wildlife side of the position that might be a good thing for trappers.

Unless she lobbies to "return" all federal land.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 06:10 PM

I did the same thing sometime in the 90's when trying (successfully) to convince the Wisconsin NRB to allow muskrat and mink trapping prior to the end of duck season in the Mississippi River Zone. They were concerned about dogs getting into the traps. Some of them winced when I did it but it worked. I used a 1/12 and a 110 to prove my point.

Moosetrot

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jwood
She can't really ban trapping on all Federal lands in Alaska. Some lands, trapping is protected under ANILCA.

No, but I do think there's a good chance of this issue resurfacing, and challenging the state's authority to manage wildlife on fed refuge lands:
https://www.energy.senate.gov/2017/4/president-trump-signs-resolution-overturning-u-s-fish-and-wildlife-regulation#:~:text=On%20February%207%2C%202017%2C%20Alaska,federal%20refuge%20lands%20in%20Alaska.&text=The%20Senate%20passed%20H.J.

Actually, what we have is dual management on Federal lands. Been that way since 1989, I believe. The battle has raged ever since.

"In 2014, U.S. Representative Don Young introduced the Alaska Native Subsistence Co-Management Demonstration Act as legislation for State-Federal-Tribal co-management of wildlife in the traditional Ahtna hunting territory in southern Alaska. The State of Alaska declined to testify under the condition that the Alaska Constitution bars co-management with other entities. As of June 2019, the number of State-Tribal or Federal-State-Tribal co-management agreements remains zero."

You can see where Don's priorities are.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 06:35 PM

Yes there is some protection there IF one is federally qualified. And Alaska Natives would not stand for a federal (subsistence) trapping ban. That said I don't trust them. Period.
There is a lot of federal land that our brother trappers need Outside. Dangerous times indeed.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 06:55 PM

The problem with Federal land is lack of local control by the people who use it. If you want Federal land it comes with nationwide control. People who will never use it, see it, or be affected by what is done on it : control it. frown

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 08:03 PM

The problem with Federal land is lack of local control by the people who use it. If you want Federal land it comes with nationwide control. People who will never use it, see it, or be affected by what is done on it : control it. frown

You are absolutely correct, Dirt! When we were fighting "cookie-cutter" mandates from USFWS on the Refuge along the Mississippi that would have seriously curtailed hunter, trapper, and angler use, we formed and organized a lot of local opposition to them. The grassroots effort was successful in turning back a lot of what they wanted to do that would have caused a lot of grief for those of us that use the Refuge and that are also stewards of the Refuge resources. We did not win every battle but succeeded in most. Took some time and effort for sure but it was well worth it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/24/21 08:50 PM

I messaged both of my senators.
Posted By: James

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 02/25/21 01:23 AM

I added my opposition to Haaland by emailing my senators.

Jim

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 03/04/21 08:18 PM

From this weeks MN Outdoor news,

Land Tawney president Montana based Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Quote "She is approachable,capable and a bridge builder"

Howard Vincent executive director St Paul based Pheasants Forever Quote "We have sighed on to the formal letter in her support submitted by the American Wildlife Conservation Partners"

There are several outdoor groups who believe she should be appointed. You all might want to look into the organizations you support.

dresselt wish in one hand and crap in the other, you still have a hand full of crap.

The rest of you democrats might want at least vet your candidates.

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 03/04/21 08:22 PM

https://safariclub.org/five-questio...ary-of-the-interior-nominee-deb-haaland/

Re: NTA Alert: Oppose Biden Nominee! - 03/15/21 10:40 PM

Deb Haaland was confirmed as Secretary of the Interior today.

Moosetrot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums