Home

Cell phone question in workplace

Posted By: coonman220

Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:02 PM

Can a factory actually say u cannot even have a phone in ur pocket or cost pocket on production area ? They do where I work an I only look at it break, but out coat pocket to pants pocket bfore after break, no locker, to cold truck plus nothing do 5 min break without phone, , no locker out work boots slime pieces metal an oil so slop up gas pedal an break pedal floor mats an ruin carpet on steps porch inside ax to cold mess with, , used put on hipboots look water traps parklot after work noone see me but did an I believe lots story's an rumors we float around as not do it again, a old lady that I don't like , I not go into detail, was try to see what look my phone at on break by come behind me an at work I not sure but look area by my coat, if would see her go thru my coat, I would have went totaly irate an unfair place is, I would been fired, but can company say u can't have phone in cost pocket or actually seize ur phone, ? Superviser say unpay 5 min meeting in morning that required be there for, another thing I hate, meeting, say he gonna rip up phones if find them ? Can they legally do this, many others carry them but they very stesrn me an always hardest job they find or very dirty job
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:06 PM

Yes they can. Place I worked at last you where not even allowed to have it in the plant.
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:07 PM

Yes they sure can and most chalk it up to safety rules. There company, there rules.

B
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:10 PM

Small price to pay to continue working in a place you love. laugh
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:11 PM

What did you do 20 years ago during break?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:21 PM

Most places have cell phones in work area policies. Mostly they're there to keep productivity up or safety. Depending on what your job actually is varies the level of enforcement. If your job doesn't have slack periods, odds are the phone policy would be more strictly enforced.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:23 PM

Multitude of reasons not the least of which is productivity.

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:30 PM

Work there because close home an work out other job, I guess if get trouble I do, no place keep phone at, no locker, can they actually legally take ur phone ? If so an damage, I would head police station close , my other phone went out an just got this one a month ago
Posted By: rats4me

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
What did you do 20 years ago during break?

Worry about coon prices
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:41 PM

Coonman, you should become self employed. Then you make the rules. You can even take longer breaks if you wish.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:42 PM

Yes...their company, their rules. You need to start your own company or business, that way you can make your own rules and don’t have anyone to blame for your misery but yourself. Everyone gets fed up at one time or another with their jobs, but we work through it or find another place of employment.
I work for the phone company and one thing is a guarantee...change!! And what’s really interesting is change generally goes in one big circle.
An example for you is our parts/supply department. When I first started we had a supply clerk that ordered everything for the work center. If you needed something it was there in the storeroom. Then the company decided they didn’t need a storeroom clerk, so each individual employee had to order what was needed. That lasted about 1-2 years, then the company said this ain’t working like we thought. So, it was back to having a storeroom clerk and a stocked storeroom. Guess what...we are now back to no storeroom clerk and we order what we need to do our job.
Companies are out to make money and get as much from their employees for as minimal amount of money as possible. If someone somewhere did a study that said productivity increased by X% then most companies are going to implement that study.
We may work for “the man” and they may make millions, but I’m happy with the crumbs that fall on my plate. I own my own home (this year it will be paid off), raised 3 boys that now have lives of their own, raising one more boy child, been married 25 years this July, and been with the company 23 years this Oct. I’ve been through hundreds of “new” polices/rules etc, but I just roll with their new flavor of the month and keep working towards my retirement in about 7 more years.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:52 PM

They can't take your property but they can fire you without giving you a reason. My house my rules. The same for a business in right to work state.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 08:54 PM

If the company questions you about your cell phone use while you are on break, just tell them you a filing notice with OSHA about the unsafe working conditions at their factory.
Also...check your employee handbook. I'm sure you will find a section in there which basically says, they can enact or amend rules or guidelines as and when they see fit.

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:01 PM

Oh, I just wonder they can do, I see someone phone lay on break room table, not mine, it been stolen or look thru as no screen lock I got it , so I continue do same an if get fired, great ! Then look another job, idk
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:02 PM

Leave the phone at home,then you don't have to worry about it.
cell phones have turned the people of this country into addicts--and no drugs are needed--only a cell phone.
Tom
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:04 PM

can't say about phone don't know,my last job u had to be 15 minutes early to do flex and stretch on your time, basically working 15 minutes for free.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:08 PM

I wait for my morning dump to be taken on company time. Of course I’m always 15-20 minutes early, so that wait is killer sometimes!!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Tom

yep!

we take them here where I work and put in HR office, then you pick it up at quitting time.....IF you are caught spending too much time on it.

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Tom

yep!

we take them here where I work and put in HR office, then you pick it up at quitting time.....IF you are caught spending too much time on it.
it have pay better than I get to not keep me from quitting if got phone confiscate, I pretty easy going,most guys I know of would have major problem an big trouble with pH confiscation , come into work 15 minutes early, 1 supervisers say that an no way I going to, supposed be there early Free an start
Work the second start buzzer go, for kinds low wage I get there, not go happen, idk, they wanna have meeting, I want pay for it, even if amounts to pennies, that witch I like term who talk about with rotted teeth or meth head look that can't do nothing right if unfortunate rare occasion that have work with, say I run bad parts an not true, superviser brownie points girl, would look my coat, I been fired this morning as there would been some hollaring an awful profanity , can't leave coat lunchroom, no locker am nowhere to hang an so leave work bench, not sure what do, walk in morning -25 with t shirt on?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:51 PM

Supposed to get 6 or so inches of snow tomorrow.

I bet I make myself shovel snow and clean around the trap thrower for class this weekend. You know, so people don’t get their feet muddy and slip.

Why do I force myself to do this stuff, I’m so unfair. I should quit,

I’ll probably leave my phone inside, since I don’t need it to do my job.

You need to have a drink and relax Dave.

Here.

Attached picture 76360575-B7AA-4261-9B84-0DDEEAB1DFBE.jpeg
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:57 PM

Don't get caught, fly below radar
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I wait for my morning dump to be taken on company time. Of course I’m always 15-20 minutes early, so that wait is killer sometimes!!

i can't do that,working on a construction site , portolets are bad ,summer /winter/anytime.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 10:26 PM

Coonman220 we all know you're not going to quit so I'm not sure why you said that a couple post up from this one. Also has been stated already, yes they can have a no cell phone rule/policy. I agree with ADC it's a small price to pay for a job you love.

Good Luck

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 10:40 PM

I might
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I might

Lol.

Do or don’t

The road is littered with dead squirrels that couldn’t make a decision.
Posted By: corky

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 11:00 PM

I'm surprised they don't make an exception for stellar employees.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 11:06 PM

My neighbor fired a kid a few months ago for cell phone in company truck. He warned him 3 times and the idiot would not listen. Down the road and when DOL called he said he was fired for safety violations on 3 occasions so no free money.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 11:16 PM

They can have a no phone policy, but if they call a meeting and demand you be there they have to pay you for the time.
Posted By: mohawker

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/17/21 11:25 PM

Have to leave my phone in the car where I work as well. Yup, not worth my job, so there it stays.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/18/21 02:10 AM

I don't understand why you have to have your phone out at work anyway.
We can have our phone on us but not be on them.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Cell phone question in workplace - 02/18/21 02:25 AM

Yeah, lots of places say no cell phones. Same as you can’t carry a gun into most work places. It’s private property, and you are on their dime, so whatever rules they want to make, you gotta follow. Well you don’t HAVE to follow their rules, but if you want to continue being employed by them you do. You’re certainly free to break the rules, and they’re certainly within their rights to show you the door if you do.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums