Home

Wonder what my electric bill will be?

Posted By: Anonymous

Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 10:53 PM

Since Texas is the only state that is unrelated in the power grid and brokers electricity based on price and demand.
Well, the stats are starting to come in for consumption prices and it's a bit crazy.

For instance;
CIBC’s Babin noted that Texas’ unregulated market is exacerbating the price swings as energy producers are forced to buy megawatts in the open market.
Some of the heightened cost could end up on Texas consumers’ utility bills. Companies such as Griddy — which gives consumers access to wholesale electricity prices — have outlined ways for its users to switch power providers in an effort to shield them from volatile price swings.

“The power price is usually about $20, $30, $40 per megawatt hour, and because of extreme events, the price of power hit the $9,000 cap. That’s very extreme,” said Ron Silvestri, senior analyst at Neuberger Berman.

My bill might be 10 x the megawatt charge some months @ 10 x $30 = $300.
For this month 10 x $9,000 = well you can do the math.

Lights out!
Turn off that puter!
Kill the heat pump!
Stop flushing those toilets!

Sorry folks, lure prices have to go up wink

Blessings,
Mark

Posted By: Vinke

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 10:55 PM

You should have moved to AZ......

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vinke

But I always dreamed about the Alamo as a kid. "Davy, Davy Crockett. King of the wild frontier!"

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:15 PM

Move to AZ after all the CA people reck it. Then enjoy the cost of living.
Great wages for everyone
cheap grocerys
cheap houses
llots of AZowned land that is free to access and camp

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:16 PM

#keepthedemocratsoutofaz
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:30 PM

Dont think I'll have a big bill, been off for three days now. Been using propane for heat. Ih yeah ,no water either. My local water utility has no power for the pumps either.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:35 PM

That's crazy Mark, I had no idea your utilities were completely unregulated like that.
Our electric utility is a Co-op, run by a board elected by members. Rate changes are also subject to state approval. I pay right about 25 cents per KWH, all fees and charges included.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:40 PM

Move to AZ after all the CA people reck it. Then enjoy the cost of living.
Great wages for everyone
cheap grocerys
cheap houses
llots of AZowned land that is free to access and camp

Arizona is nice.Lived there as a kid.

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:40 PM

I'm not sure how it'll shake out but kinda like la4, we've been hit and miss on any power being on in the San Antonio area.
We're in a co-op that is run by ???? I have no idea.
We lick a stamp with a check every month and send it to the nice ladies in town and they allow us to flip light switches on and such,
so I'm a dummy about all the rest.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:41 PM

Our town makes their own they say
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/17/21 11:56 PM

I think we paid about $300 maybe a bit more for January, in Northern Michigan. Including a feed line to a 14 x 65 Manufactured home we have for the kids and grandkids. The Manufactured is just heated enough to prevent pipe freeze, nobody used it last month. My off grid cabin is solar, 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries 4 years ago for $200 a pair, wood heat.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:00 AM

I pray it’s not that high for y’all. And here I thought $135 was a little excessive. But, it does go up during the Summer, lol. I keep my thermostat on 68-72 year round. Anything below 68 and the heat comes on, anything above 72 and the AC comes on. Our AC runs way more than our heat!!
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
That's crazy Mark, I had no idea your utilities were completely unregulated like that.
Our electric utility is a Co-op, run by a board elected by members. Rate changes are also subject to state approval. I pay right about 25 cents per KWH, all fees and charges included.

That seems pretty spendy. We pay 7 1/4 cents per kWh where I’m at. I can remember paying 9 mils (just less than a penny)per kWh when I first got married.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:12 AM

Hope that the true charge is less than you even hope for as the potential bill total sounds nuts!

Chris
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:27 AM

Mark....is it true ...that all the natural gas lines are on the surface...and not buried?..Some Dem told me that...lol
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:34 AM

If I'm not mistaken an increase in price from your wholesaler is a pass through to the customer and doesn't require a rate change
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:45 AM

Only $0.0437 here.
Posted By: billcat

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:54 AM

Mark, I think you are confused. The power company buys megawatt/hours; your house is billed in kilowatt/hours. A megawatt/hour is 1000 kilowatt/hours. You'll be OK, maybe a small bump for the extra cost of electricity the company has to pay and more for the larger amount you'll use in the cold temps.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Mark....is it true ...that all the natural gas lines are on the surface...and not buried?..Some Dem told me that...lol

Curious what problem an above ground gas line would cause? I know the town south of me had about 20 miles of above ground line running to it, up until a few years ago when it was replaced with a new line. The local farmers have been cutting the old line up for posts and corral material as it is just laying on the surface. I can't remember the town ever having any problems when using the old line, and we have had some cold winters over the years.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 01:35 AM

I think my next bill will be over $600.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 01:37 AM

Im guessing less than your summer AC bill
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 01:44 AM

sounds like Yall need woods stoves

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 02:31 AM

The big lines they put across the ranches I trap are set in the ground a number of feet. I'm not sure how far down but it's maybe 4-5 feet? I never looked "in" but they are in the ground. That being said, a TON TON TON of infrastructure sits above ground and I'm no oil and gas guy so I don't know how COLD effects all that. Everything built here is built for the heat, not the COLD.

It's neighbor helping neighbor currently.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June

But I always dreamed about the Alamo as a kid. "Davy, Davy Crockett. King of the wild frontier!"

One of my relatives fought at the Alamo.

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 10:30 AM

Very cool. An American patriot. wink
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 12:34 PM

your elect bill is in kilowatt hours. you are three zeros off using megawatts I think.

We pay $0.0523 per kilowatt hour here.

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
your elect bill is in kilowatt hours. you are three zeros off using megawatts I think.

We pay $0.0523 per kilowatt hour here.

I like the way you figure OhioBoy!
grin

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 01:13 PM

The highest electric bill I ever had was after an ice storm and the power was out for a week. Guess 3 weeks of electricity is more expensive than 4.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 03:46 PM

I will stay where I'm at. Last months was $99.00
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 03:47 PM

Very cool. An American patriot. wink

He didn't say what side he was on? LOL

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 05:11 PM

He no speak a Spanish.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 06:31 PM

He no speak a Spanish.

No habla the englie (or this invoice so I will wipe my but on it tomorrow morning)
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 07:13 PM

I’ll guess your bill won’t be significantly more. I’ll also bet rates rise in the future so residents can pay for their extremely negligent screw up.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 07:31 PM

There is a rate for the product itself, then there is a distribution fee also. That's what the natural gas companies used to do anyhow.

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I looked into an outside woodstove unit about 12 years ago. I figured it would take about 10 years in savings to pay for the unit, then I figured do I want to cut firewood and stack it when I am 75 years old (present age). After thinking about it I decided not to get the unit. I have no regrets, sure my bill gets high in the winter, but I saved the cost of buying the unit and I don't have to cut firewood.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I looked into an outside woodstove unit about 12 years ago. I figured it would take about 10 years in savings to pay for the unit, then I figured do I want to cut firewood and stack it when I am 75 years old (present age). After thinking about it I decided not to get the unit. I have no regrets, sure my bill gets high in the winter, but I saved the cost of buying the unit and I don't have to cut firewood.

the OWB are big money up front for sure. (outdoor wood burners or boilers) and they use a lot more wood but you can cut it larger and split it less.

I have a relatively small wood stove in the living room. any time the wife says she is cold , I can make it hot in the living room , most of the time it is enough to keep the rest of the house in the mid 60s or above even when -30 outside.

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 08:02 PM

This has kinda been like a hurricane. Hits for a BAD week and then gone.
I'm not from here but I'll tell ya....
whoever put the water lines running up and through the roof trusses (for some reason????) THAT IS NOT GOOD when it gets to single digits for days on end.

Here in Dallas, my eyes are sore of looking at plumbing damage occurring.
I tell 'em.
I'm from upanorth.
Wait until the water frees up and starts running again next week.

We had a fire alarm last night at mid-night here at the seminary 170 unit apartment complex. Water line burst in the main hall area. 35 of us laboring alongside firemen as water poured down as the building evacuated. Crazy. Crazy.

Swamp Wolf, send us some rain brother!
Please.
Thank you.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: adam m

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/18/21 08:44 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/20/21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by YamaCat

That seems pretty spendy. We pay 7 1/4 cents per kWh where I’m at. I can remember paying 9 mils (just less than a penny)per kWh when I first got married.

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

If I'm not mistaken an increase in price from your wholesaler is a pass through to the customer and doesn't require a rate change

I calculate my All-Included price per kwh by taking my total bill and dividing by my meter usage. My bill is itemized into a half dozen rates and fees, but I want to know what my overall net price comes out to, which is about .25

Steve 49, you're partly right, but the rate change from the wholesaler also has to be approved, whether it's a gas company or another utility. All utility and energy rates in Alaska are subject to RCA (Regulatory Commission of Alaska).
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/20/21 02:21 PM

I had to plug in a truck, tractor and 3 cattle water's , ya, mine went from 80 bucks to 260.
Posted By: beeman

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/20/21 02:29 PM

Since Texas is the only state that is unrelated in the power grid and brokers electricity based on price and demand.
Well, the stats are starting to come in for consumption prices and it's a bit crazy.

For instance;
CIBC’s Babin noted that Texas’ unregulated market is exacerbating the price swings as energy producers are forced to buy megawatts in the open market.
Some of the heightened cost could end up on Texas consumers’ utility bills. Companies such as Griddy — which gives consumers access to wholesale electricity prices — have outlined ways for its users to switch power providers in an effort to shield them from volatile price swings.

“The power price is usually about $20, $30, $40 per megawatt hour, and because of extreme events, the price of power hit the $9,000 cap. That’s very extreme,” said Ron Silvestri, senior analyst at Neuberger Berman.

My bill might be 10 x the megawatt charge some months @ 10 x $30 = $300.
For this month 10 x $9,000 = well you can do the math.

Lights out!
Turn off that puter!
Kill the heat pump!
Stop flushing those toilets!

Sorry folks, lure prices have to go up wink

Blessings,
Mark

I hope you bill isn’t as high as this man from Arlington, Tx. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/some-tex...ket-as-high-as-17000-during-winter-storm
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/20/21 02:41 PM

I got on a budget plan, they just round off a years worth of bills to come up with what the average per month is so no matter how much i use or don't use my bill is the same every month, no shocks and surprise's. Currently it's 187.00 a month.

TX has the dumbest power system ive ever heard of! Sounds ALOT like Birmingham water and sewer scheme, most who were involved in it went to prison! 800.00 a month water bills were common!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/20/21 02:43 PM

Ours went up $90 to $290.00

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/20/21 03:40 PM

Just got a text from our electric provider that assures all residents they serve that the recent spike in electricity cost will be prorated on customer's bills over the next ten years. Interesting.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/22/21 11:27 AM

https://distincttoday.net/2021/02/20/his-lights-stayed-on-during-texas-storm-now-he-owes-16752/

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 01:23 AM

I got my current bill today, it is from January 14th to February 16th of this year, the amount is $685.05. You might recall earlier in this thread I predicted it would be over $600, dang near made $700.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 01:28 AM

Lady on the news today got a $17,000 electric bill for a few days so practice those zeros guys.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 01:52 AM

My price to compare is .0567/hr but when u divide total monthly bill by kwh it comes out to $.1465/kwh!!!

Almost triples!!!
Posted By: cmj

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 02:05 AM

I got my current bill today, it is from January 14th to February 16th of this year, the amount is $685.05. You might recall earlier in this thread I predicted it would be over $600, dang near made $700.

$685! mine was $108.
Posted By: charles

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 02:40 AM

Hope you don’t pay that bill. Heck, you can fly to Cancun and have change in your pocket. The state will surely come to your aid.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 05:06 AM

Just got a text from our electric provider that assures all residents they serve that the recent spike in electricity cost will be prorated on customer's bills over the next ten years. Interesting.

So, the Guy that got the $17,000.00 bill , will see an additional amount of $141.67 EVERY MONTH on top of his usual electric bill , for the next 10 YEARS ????
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 01:53 PM

Mine was $127.23, which is about what it always runs.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 02:11 PM

Check your meter sometimes they go nuts and need to be replaced
Posted By: charles

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 03:17 PM

When I lived on the Outer Bank, we had an electric coop because nobody else would serve our remote and hostile location. Our population would swell by 100,000+ in warm weather when tourist came. We charged our members a higher kilowatt hourly rate in summer months when out of state dollars were paying for house rental expenses and a lower rate in winter when only the local residents were around. Always good to tax someone else.

We suffered outages during hurricane season but never tried to scalp anyone for any essential need. We were very proud of our coop lineman and at our annual meeting we treated them with praise and compensation. Hard working men and women dedicated to their neighbors.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Wonder what my electric bill will be? - 02/23/21 07:58 PM

LOL if I get this right the energy company convinced people to "buy in" to shared cost billing. JUST numbers so if the electric co is getting 1.5 million dollars a month in electric fees from X number of customers the 1.5 is spread out over ever how many are on that line. OK IF 50% of them loose power than the ones still with power have to "offset" the lost customers in order for the CO to still get it's 1.5 million dollars. THAT'S why people are getting bills for 15 -18 thousand dollars. To make up for the ones with out power. They cry high demand But once the grid shut down there WAS ZERO demand.
Sounds like a co-op shared savings shared cost !!! Co-op was a great thing when it would save you money but in todays climate it can bite you...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums