Home

Melted air filter how to clean it?

Posted By: Law Dog

Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 02:32 PM

My Honda 4 wheeler needed a tune up so I bought a plug, oil, oil filter and air filter for it last week, it warmed up yesterday so I tore into it. All went well the spark plug needed a very thin walled socket but I made one for that job. I went to change out the air filter and it was jello like and melted on the metal tube that runs through it?

I sprayed it with starting fluid but that did now eat it up I will try carb cleaner next then acetone unless any of you know what eats that foam material up.

Any clue?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 02:35 PM

Brake cleaner?
Posted By: charles

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 02:35 PM

Could a back fire have ignited it. Hard concept to believe.

I hat a rat nest in mine once.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 02:37 PM

is it in a plastic housing also ?

acetone and some cleaners are very hard on foam , but probably took time also

I assume your trying to get the old stuff out so you can put a new air filter in

remove the housing and scrape clean with a razor blade would be my next approach if possible

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 02:55 PM

Metal perforated tube the filter goes around but it’s a plated metal, the stuff looks like it’s breaking down like picking up hot butter.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 02:57 PM

That's crazy, I had one go bad
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 03:06 PM

Replace it.

No matter what you do unless you get it perfect , you will have restricted air flow. Plus the possibility of chunks/bits getting sucked into the engine.

You would not want a dirty air filter , same thing.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 03:12 PM

Penny wise/pound foolish

Replace it.

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 03:43 PM

Don’t know what could of got into the box it’s in a box with clips, it would not start so it did backfire a few times (bad plug) and I could smell gas. I’ll clean the tube and put the new filter on it one way or another I’ll get it clean. LOL

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 03:48 PM

If you ever sprayed a foam cup with carb cleaner you would understand what I’m hoping to find here.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 04:12 PM

Foam filters will all of a sudden break down at a certain timeframe. At least you caught it before it got sucked into the engine. Rocky Mtn ATV will have the part.

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 04:30 PM

Tough choice between a $40 carb or $80 tube if I replace that. I’ll try the carb cleaner the brake cleaner I have both on hand the parts cleaner or gasoline will be next. I’m in no hurry.

Will keep you posted on what works.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Foam filters will all of a sudden break down at a certain timeframe. At least you caught it before it got sucked into the engine. Rocky Mtn ATV will have the part.

^ this.

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 04:45 PM

Should put on a K&N paper replacement one but they are crazy priced. $80
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 04:57 PM

I may be misunderstanding the concept but would steel wool shine up the tube?

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I may be misunderstanding the concept but would steel wool shine up the tube?

I will most likely wire bush it or steel wool in then blow it out with the air compressor to see if I can get where it needs to be to go back into the ATV. The main issue is this glue like melted foam that needs to come out. I will check the junkers at the farm, maybe I can find a clean one in a dead 4 wheeler!

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 06:20 PM

I got the loose jelly type stuff off now it is more caulk like it scrapes off then leaves a thin layer blocking the tiny holes but the carb cleaner seems to remove most of it I’ll keep at it I have cams to put out today I’ll let it soak until tomorrow then spray it again and air blow it out. It’s getting there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/18/21 06:35 PM

I am wondering if gas might not be what happened to it. Our Honda is leaking now and will put a new carb on it rather then fight the float or whatever problem.
Posted By: b line

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/19/21 01:11 AM

sand blast it ?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/19/21 01:29 AM

Torch might get the worst of it, then wire wheel.

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/19/21 05:19 AM

It has a galvanized finish I’d hate to ruin that, if it rusted I’d be in the same boat again. I ended up getting a skunk call right around dinner time from a landowner that had skunks under his sale barn and his bull sale is tomorrow so he was in a panic. He wanted me to set some traps tonight me I’d trap them after the sale but it was his call. LOL

Anyways after I got home I put the air tube in a plastic ice cream container and covered it with straight gas I will drive that container around all day tomorrow and see if that splashes the crud off. That’s if the container does not melt tonight.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/19/21 06:21 AM

Some times not always depending on the material of each, I have found a real good freeze up in a good freezer tends to make materials separate easier, some pop off others crack and you can remove them easier.

Your not out nothing if you pop them in a freezer for a couple days and see what happens, at least you will not destroy the metal the stuff is stuck on !

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/20/21 04:15 AM

Sat overnight in gas helped a whole lot the flat parts wipe clean easy I will give it another day in the pail in no hurry to smell like gas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/20/21 02:44 PM

Looks like you're winning but wouldn't a blue pail work better than yellow?

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/20/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Looks like you're winning but wouldn't a blue pail work better than yellow?

Tried that the raccoons kept knocking it over! cry
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/20/21 07:51 PM

I'd say that's pretty good progress. Does the screen look at good on the inside too...or didn't it make it through the screen at all?

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/20/21 09:35 PM

Screens clear now another day in the pail I’ll blow the loose stuff off it will be good to go.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/20/21 09:58 PM

I'm guessing the outer foam is suppose to be dipped in oil, then your suppose to wring out the excess oil, before installing (oil bath type). Could be there was a chemical in the oil used last time ate the foam up. Try a regular oil, not synthetic, with the new filter. More than likely the back firing soak that filter with gas, and caused it to dissolve.
I had a mouse get into an airbox on a wheeler once, and the mouse urine did the same thing, except just on the top of the filter where it could stand while urinating on it.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/21/21 12:50 AM

Augh.. Rally it was getting back at you for working over all his bigger cousins that mouse was.
sticky float valve or needle abrasion leaking gas and dissolving

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/21/21 01:04 AM

When the plug went bad I could smell gas when it was cranking over so that might of pushed enough out the exhaust onto the filter.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/21/21 01:10 AM

#2 gas has higher content of toluene( I think) and this just nukes foam
or one of the esters C=C bonds so the Chlorine used in making foam soaks it up, and poof
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/21/21 01:25 AM

Throw that in the trash and buy a new one

My time is worth more than what the replacement costs

Guess if you don't have a to do list backed up for weeks then keep messing with it. If that is the case get a small propane torch and burn that crap off, then soak it in something

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/21/21 01:39 AM

I’m not watching it soak for 2 days! LOL

Re: Melted air filter how to clean it? - 02/21/21 11:14 PM

2 days in the gas bath and blew it out with air it came out like new.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums