Home

Trapper apathy

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:30 AM

How many trappers in your state are members of your association? Or for that matter the NTA and or FTA?

If we don't step up now, straight up trapping will die out within our lifetimes.

And I'm one of the apathetic but I'm fixing to change that. I am either re-upping or joining for the first time all three.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:41 AM

This is interesting, I have not been apathetic, but these low prices are making me become apathetic. frown
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:45 AM

Apathy runs in the neighborhood of 80% or slightly higher at the state level. Probably higher than that at the national level.

It is a shame that 4 out of 5 trappers do not see the value in joining together to try to preserve what we do.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:45 AM

Not sure how many licensed trappers in Idaho but I know there are over 700 members of the ITA. We also have other organizations in ID, such as the Intermountain Fur Harvesters Association, Upper Snake River Trapper's Association and Foundation for Wildlife Management, but ITA is the big one.
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:46 AM

Michigan Trappers Association has a deal going where when you join you get a membership to NTA and FTA, for $25 you can’t go wrong.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:48 AM

10% is roughly the rule across the country for permit sales and association memberships.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:49 AM

2000+ members in the Minnesota trappers association. Could be more but we have 3 different associations in the state. 3 associations have different views on things. Sad deal. One big cohesive group would be stronger for sure
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by MNEric
2000+ members in the Minnesota trappers association. Could be more but we have 3 different associations in the state. 3 associations have different views on things. Sad deal. One big cohesive group would be stronger for sure

How do I join the one that is for nonresident trapping?
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:56 AM

Lol, I was thinking the same thing trapperkeck

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:57 AM

Two of them are actually for it. The one that is not has the politicians on there side
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:59 AM

Delaware has about 400 trapping licenses sold and 60-80 or so members of the trappers org. Don’t quote me on those numbers

I will do a little more research, but I sure that it is around the national average of 10% or so of the ones who hold the water for the rest
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:02 AM

I am not trying to start a fight here, but someone please tell me why I should join our state's association(s). I think there is more than one.

I get joining other organizations that lobby on political issues but I don't get the vibe that we need that here. I could be wrong and things could obviously change. I guess one reason would be the optics of strength in numbers.

Anyway, help a stingy brother out.

And, what national organization is there that I should consider joining?
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:02 AM

Society is divided and fragmented up as bad if not worse than before the civil war, church groups breaking up, even anti groups can't get along, why you have a bazillion different one's. Trappers no different as we as hunters. I was reading today on a deer hunting page a guy crying about them not being able to get along with one another and pretty much the same complaint ive heard trappers say for the past 40 years.

Oddly alot of times the hunters join force's with the anti's against trappers.

Problem with most trapping association's is they don't listen! Ego's get in the way of doing what's right and clique's spring up with this group against that group within the association, some run off and form their own group most just fade away back to their life, isn't like most of us already have enough problems in life, why volunteer for more?

Then some just never join ANYTHING for any reason.

Long as we continue to do the same ol thing we'll get the same ol result.

Is a way out of all this mess BUT it would require ego's be checked at the door, best idea's ran with, old idea's that haven't ever worked left by the wayside and a rebranding of who we are and what we do to attract major donor's not keep digging around in broke trapper's pockets for money.

Wake me up when all that happens.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
How many trappers in your state are members of your association? Or for that matter the NTA and or FTA?

If we don't step up now, straight up trapping will die out within our lifetimes.

And I'm one of the apathetic but I'm fixing to change that. I am either re-upping or joining for the first time all three.

How many of us have state trapping associations the actually give a flying rats hind end about their membership and just how their members truly make a living from trapping instead actively opposing those that do make a living at it?

When I have a member look me in the eye and say I'll fight you over expanding trapping opportunity or the association doxxing a trapper for advocating for change in the state I want nothing to do with that association.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
I am not trying to start a fight here, but someone please tell me why I should join our state's association(s). I think there is more than one.

I get joining other organizations that lobby on political issues but I don't get the vibe that we need that here. I could be wrong and things could obviously change. I guess one reason would be the optics of strength in numbers.

It depends what the mood on trapping is in your state. In MN we have bills being introduced each year to start restricting us. Last year we were lucky because Covid dominated the session. Year before there was bills introduced to get rid of body grippers and snares. There was another that was going to make trappers have written permission to trap on private land even from the land owner where there is an easement to get to another property. It also mentioned about public water ways would be restricted. Then they added that this would not pertain to any other outdoor enthusiast. Can you say discrimination? That was a republican who wrote that bill. The MTA spent a day at the state capitol talking to legislators and got that one nixed. A bill was amended on the DNR omnibus bill to stop any potential wolf season if they were to get delisted. That passed by one vote but was later axed by a special committee. You think that would be a Democrat vs republican vote but it was not. It was strictly urban vs rural.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:17 AM

I would bet that your state orgs do have a lobbyist at the statehouse, or maybe one they share with other outdoor groups. The state trapper orgs sometimes share assets in fighting "anti" agenda.
If you don't go to the regional/state trapper org meetings or conventions you're missing out on a wealth of information and material available there.
To be honest I can't think of a good reason not to join at least one trapping org.
MnTA, FTA, NTA, Sportsman Alliance, NRA, GOA

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:23 AM

Checking on how many trapping license sold in MN. Only thing I can find is from 2007-08. That year was 7100+. I am sure it is down now with the fur market
Posted By: Boco

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:34 AM

Our federation in Ontario has 6000 plus members,and about another 3500 belong to NAN,UOI,or Treaty3.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:38 AM

The NRA is wonderful or horrible... Depends on who you ask.

As for state orgs, here's a good one for you... When I was on the active NWCO roster we were told that we had to buy the professional trapper's license @ $68.50... OK, I'm doing this as a professional, so whatever. So a bunch of us get our lifetime licenses which covers the Pro license. Great, no having to fool with mailing off the paperwork every year and wait for the state to get my Pro license back to me.

One of our illustrious state orgs lobbies for, and gets passed, that NWCO's have to buy a special $75 annual license on top of what we already had to have.

I hung up my NWCO status... And with low fur prices and all the stupid BS regs we have to deal with I've pretty much hung up my traps.

So for the time being the anti's, the idiot houndsmen, and the greed of other trappers has managed to get me out of the game... But I figure it won't be too long until Capt. Alzheimer's runs the country so far into the ground that I'll end up having to trap beaver for something to eat... But at that point at least I won't have to pay for the privilege.

Mike

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

The NRA is wonderful or horrible... Depends on who you ask.

As for state orgs, here's a good one for you... When I was on the active NWCO roster we were told that we had to buy the professional trapper's license @ $68.50... OK, I'm doing this as a professional, so whatever. So a bunch of us get our lifetime licenses which covers the Pro license. Great, no having to fool with mailing off the paperwork every year and wait for the state to get my Pro license back to me.

One of our illustrious state orgs lobbies for, and gets passed, that NWCO's have to buy a special $75 annual license on top of what we already had to have.

I hung up my NWCO status... And with low fur prices and all the stupid BS regs we have to deal with I've pretty much hung up my traps.

So for the time being the anti's, the idiot houndsmen, and the greed of other trappers has managed to get me out of the game... But I figure it won't be too long until Capt. Alzheimer's runs the country so far into the ground that I'll end up having to trap beaver for something to eat... But at that point at least I won't have to pay for the privilege.

Mike

Our so called association hates NWCOs even though over half of them have the permit. More than one has told me that the NWCOs in Atlanta will screw something up leading to the loss of trapping in the state. So rather than embrace the NWCO and take the opportunity to teach or address the specifics of urban trapping the association runs off any pure NWCO like myself.
The result is we now have every bug company including the nationals that make their buck on fraud setting traps.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:50 AM

Mark my words, the day will come when fur and sport trapping will be outlawed and only ADC trapping allowed if the state associations don't step up their game. If they don't only government and corporate trappers will be allowed to trap. That's the very last thing I want to see. It's heartbreaking that so many of us NWCOs defend fur trapping yet we get nothing back from our state association.
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 04:04 AM

We need to focus on why someone wouldn't want to belong. There needs to be a sense of pride in belonging plus each organization needs to offer a deal nonmembers can't refuse or resist.. No business survives on a guilt plea for patronage. Buyers and that is what each nonmember is - a prospective buyer- of our product (membership). we must show them an offering that they want to participate in.
Please list for me what you are selling! I'm betting most of our messages are not compelling and viewed as offering them little. Most prospective buyers as an example believe others will fight the fight and they will save their $50 dollars.
However, if I could show them that there are benefits that exceed the cost then I'll bet we will get a new member.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 04:05 AM

I hear ya Dave.

Last I knew there were two orgs in Oklahoma... The Oklahoma Fur Bearers Alliance and the Fur Takers of Oklahoma. I was a member of OFBA and as I understood it the FTO was responsible for the NWCO licensing debacle.

It's been long enough that I'm not sure what's what anymore. After all the crap I just said 'phooey' with all of it. I'd like to trap again sometime. But with fur being worthless it just isn't worth the uphill battle right now.

I'm not even sure how many states I'd have to drive across to get ripped off selling fur.

Mike
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:05 AM

Good Bad or Ugly one thing is for sure. If nobody stands up for trapping it goes away. Here there were are all kinds of areas closed to trapping before anybody was watching the store. Now that trappers are much better organised, any body comes after trapping and there's a fight. Plus any new regulation is much less imposing.
Quit making excuses and stand up for yourselves.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 06:22 AM

Right on Drasselt. Strength in numbers. That's why politicians are pretty timid to take on the NRA.

The last big anti trapping initiative ballot measure we had in Oregon (2000) our association successfully pulled together a coalition of Forestry, Agriculture, hunters and trappers. We hired people to take the fight to them. Guess where the seed money came from to get the ball rolling? Eventually we were able to match the antis money war chest (almost dollar for dollar) with plenty of help from our coalition supporters; but that first 10 or 15 thousand was trapper money by golly.

A fact I am very proud of.
Posted By: trapperjim1

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 10:20 AM

A problem that I see with pretty much any volunteer organization (Fire Dept, Trappers Association etc.) , is that most people want to run that organization without doing any of the work for it. Whenever the topic of an organization comes up, everybody knows what's wrong, and what that organization should do to change. But when you ask them to help, they always have an excuse. Things like " I don't have time", or "I won't be a part of that until it changes". If you really think that an organization is doing something wrong, for goodness sake, join it, and work to point it in the right,(in your opinion) direction. Having served as a volunteer softball coach, (10 yrs.), on the board of directors of a volunteer fire dept. (5 + yrs.) and involved with the Pa. Trappers, NTA and FTA (45 yrs.) , I think I've heard every rationalization for not joining, or helping, that there is, and none of them are original. If you really believe in something, join in helping to make it a better organization. Don't expect to walk in the door and immediately be put in charge. It doesn't work that way. Work to prove your value to the organization, It takes time, nothing changes overnight and it's human nature to resist change. Remember, when you try to insert an agenda into an organization, you're going to have the naysayers resisting your change. Just like you resisted theirs. One thing that I've taken away from my years of volunteering in different organizations, no matter what else comes to pass I've generally made a few good friends, and that has a value all it's own.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 10:24 AM

Transparency is the number one real answer I have found.
Many want to know the whole money trail.
Many want to log in to the live O and D meetings.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 02:28 PM

Our Assn. is in a war every two years to keep what we have. We hold meetings across the state in districts, an annual state meeting, a fur auction, hired a lobbyist have monthly phone meetings and welcome any and all to join and work with us. Its been over fifty years since I got involved with organized trappers, frankly I'am tired of all the whinning. If you think there is a better way STEP UP there are people that will work with you, if you want to know what NMTA is doing PM me and I will give you the no for our monthly directors meeting. You can listen to the brawl we are in and how we are fighting.

It's a good time to be a trapper!

Tom

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:01 PM

I think the problem I have with the current situation is I can see fighting hard to retain a part of my livelihood. I seem to have no motivation to fight hard to retain a hobby. Seems easier to move on to another hobby? confused
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I think the problem I have with the current situation is a can see fighting hard to retain a part of my livelihood. I seem to have no motivation to fight hard to retain a hobby. Seems easier to move on to another hobby? confused

don't give in..make them fight hard...wear them down in each battle..if we give in easy they will gain the resolve to keep fighting..we owe it to ourselves and our children

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:11 PM

They been winning since 1987. It is the anti's business and the they make money doing it. Here they haven't killed trapping with laws, they killed it by killing demand for fur ( price for pelts).
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 03:37 PM

Worried about the future of trapping is the guy who voted Democrat. How ironic. (Not poking the bear, just making a point.)
Posted By: Cibarius

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quartermastersir
I would bet that your state orgs do have a lobbyist at the statehouse, or maybe one they share with other outdoor groups. The state trapper orgs sometimes share assets in fighting "anti" agenda.
If you don't go to the regional/state trapper org meetings or conventions you're missing out on a wealth of information and material available there.
To be honest I can't think of a good reason not to join at least one trapping org.

That’s our problem in MN. Shared legal. We need someone that does exactly what the membership wants. On legislative and association issues. We have the good ole boys club now.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 04:50 PM

Most young people and families have a lot on their plate and are busy, so what is the incentive to join an organization after just a couple pages of bantering and complaining by members. Getting to know one's politicians one can do a lot on one's own w/o all the drama and grandstanding.

Bryce
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:04 PM

It's really always been this way, a few people have to carry the load for the masses.

This brings up another thought, though.

In 1988, I paid for a lifetime membership in the Iowa Trapper's Assn. It was $250 at the time which was a LOT of money for me. The idea was that the gain off the money would cover the costs of the monthly magazine and build a trapper defense fund. Well, these days with high postage and high printing costs, I wonder if they are still above water on these old lifetime memberships. Or maybe they are actually losing money on them, which is what none of us want of course. Anybody have the numbers on this?

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:28 PM

I am a life member of the WTA. I became one when I was 62 and there was a short window of time when persons my age could become life members for $100!!. I became a life member because with the plaque, certificate and card they made little out of the $100 let alone ongoing costs. I do donate every year to help defray those costs. Life memberships are sometimes problematic for both sides.

Bryce

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

Worried about the future of trapping is the guy who voted Democrat. How ironic. (Not poking the bear, just making a point.)

I will own that statement Rusty. But ironics aside, I'm fighting the good fight best I can. On some other thread I could explain how I come down on politics in general, but on this one I would like to keep on point.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
It's really always been this way, a few people have to carry the load for the masses.

This brings up another thought, though.

In 1988, I paid for a lifetime membership in the Iowa Trapper's Assn. It was $250 at the time which was a LOT of money for me. The idea was that the gain off the money would cover the costs of the monthly magazine and build a trapper defense fund. Well, these days with high postage and high printing costs, I wonder if they are still above water on these old lifetime memberships. Or maybe they are actually losing money on them, which is what none of us want of course. Anybody have the numbers on this?

To answer your question, the association is losing money on the lifetime members. Do you also get the trappers post? MTA created a sustaining donor program kind of geared to help that if you wish. You get a patch for a $25 donation annually
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cibarius
Originally Posted by Quartermastersir

That’s our problem in MN. Shared legal. We need someone that does exactly what the membership wants. On legislative and association issues. We have the good ole boys club now.

Lobbyist is no longer shared. It is an election year for the BOD. Nominate your self
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 05:57 PM

Would it be possible for the associations to actually move into the 21st century?

All that ever shows up is tickets for raffles and a magazine full of advertisements and lists of who gave what.
There might be a story about what somebody did on there day off or some other nonsense.

Back in the day a lot of the mag stories had content.

We act like we are about to die off and are no longer applicable to todays society. It’s no wonder the “other” people feel this way about us.

ps .. and I don’t mean hiding every aspect of our legacy under a bush but proudly standing up for what we do and who we are. No other group of people live this way, even the communists let it all hang out.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 06:09 PM

Lobbyist is no longer shared. It is an election year for the BOD. Nominate your self[/quote]
These days I prefer to cut out the middleman and speak directly to my legislators. I relate it to the unions representing the pipeline workers. Lots of smooth talk and money. Now where are they?

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 06:16 PM

Speaking for myself, I would rather be out trapping than doing the hard work of helping an organization stay afloat. I am much happier having others fill that position but someday I will need to reconcile whether I did all I could when the attack comes.

In Oregon, New Mexico and maybe some others, that time is now. All states will be under attack in the not too distant future imho.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 06:22 PM

How are your local legislators feelings on trapping. I have talked with a lot as well and doesn’t seem to fall on party lines more so on urban and rural
Posted By: gary j

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 06:30 PM

The best reason to join a trappers association, be it state or national, depending on your finances, is the amount of money needed to be generated to hire lobbyists to keep on top of bills trying to prevent trappers from losing more ground. I think generally the membership of the Minnesota Trappers Association has been roughly 1/3 of the number of licenses sold each year. Politics are always in any organization, but I think a lot of people use that as an excuse to let somebody else do their bidding when actually their are just too self-centered and cheap to spend a nickel of their own because it might benefit some other person (trapper). My two cents worth, life member MTA and NTA.
Gary J

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by gary j
The best reason to join a trappers association, be it state or national, depending on your finances, is the amount of money needed to be generated to hire lobbyists to keep on top of bills trying to prevent trappers from losing more ground. I think generally the membership of the Minnesota Trappers Association has been roughly 1/3 of the number of licenses sold each year. Politics are always in any organization, but I think a lot of people use that as an excuse to let somebody else do their bidding when actually their are just too self-centered and cheap to spend a nickel of their own because it might benefit some other person (trapper). My two cents worth, life member MTA and NTA.
Gary J

AMEN trapping brother
Posted By: Kre

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 07:06 PM

I thought trapping associations just put on conventions and trappers ed.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 07:44 PM

I have been involved with district 8. Yep, the MTA’s favorite district! Been generous with my time and money compared to most. Honesty and TRANSPARENCY are essential to people taking an association seriously. Not closed door meetings and whispers in the corner.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 07:46 PM

Why join a State Association?

If it weren't for the ITA, we would have lost trapping or faced severe restrictions across most of the state as the result of a lawsuit a couple years back. The ITA spent a lot of money intervening in the lawsuit and the folks that fought the hardest would never have been affected by the outcome. There were only a couple hundred members at that time....

Since then our organization has grown to nearly 800 members across 20+ states. We're unified with the other sportsman's groups and have a lobbyist working on our behalf. When we propose changes to the regs, the state listens and works with us. We maintain good relationships with our elected officials and other state organizations (cattlemen, sheep, farm bureau, etc, etc). In this day and age, protecting your livelihood, hobby, heritage, interests, etc comes down to fighting to make your voice heard. The larger your coalition, the louder your voice. Pretty simple concept.

It's not a huge cost to be a member and not a lot of work to make your voice heard. If you have time to surf and post on Trapperman, you have time to comment to your State Association. It makes a difference and the funds help! If you don't like your leadership - change it! It's really disheartening to see folks complaining or apathetic - and even harder to hear about states with hardly any members facing ballot initiatives or organized anti-trapping campaigns. It doesn't take a lot of work to get organized and there's plenty of help available.

The NTA western this June in Glenn's Ferry will be a good chance for State Assn's to visit. The planning crew is looking at scheduling a "Summit" for the State groups to get together and discuss what's working, how to better work together. Don't wait until your faced with restrictions to do something.

Dirt - in my experience, new hobbies cost a lot of money to get started!

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 07:57 PM

The above post should be enshrined as to what us other states should aspire to. Great job Idaho!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 08:01 PM

Speaking for myself, I would rather be out trapping than doing the hard work of helping an organization stay afloat. I am much happier having others fill that position but someday I will need to reconcile whether I did all I could when the attack comes.

In Oregon, New Mexico and maybe some others, that time is now. All states will be under attack in the not too distant future imho.

Sounds like you are slowly being converted to a conservative.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 08:06 PM

You guys hear me do nothing but (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and moan about my state association but honestly I wish we had a state association that resembled the many bee associations I'm a member of and active in.

One thing I know as a club president is that my club is only as good as our last membership drive, only as good as the encouragement we give our new members, only as good as we are active in supporting and serving the membership.

This weekend I will be speaking in a breakout session at my state bee meeting, teaching. This meeting will have over 300 in attendance from all over the nation, via zoom. And has over 1000 members statewide.
I imagine beekeepers and trappers, both specialty pursuits, have similar numbers of participants yet I doubt our state trapping association has a tenth of those numbers.

Maybe its a holdover of the old days of Johnny Sneakum but we as trappers have to be willing to welcome newcomers with open arms. And there's a ton of newcomers out there. Maybe not the old crusty fur trapper types but trappers nonetheless. Welcome them into our ranks and associations or die.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 08:59 PM

IL TA

NTA

FTA

which one to join? It seems it would be better to have ONE with more influence and resources to get behind.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Society is divided and fragmented up as bad if not worse than before the civil war, church groups breaking up, even anti groups can't get along, why you have a bazillion different one's. Trappers no different as we as hunters. I was reading today on a deer hunting page a guy crying about them not being able to get along with one another and pretty much the same complaint ive heard trappers say for the past 40 years.

Oddly alot of times the hunters join force's with the anti's against trappers.

Problem with most trapping association's is they don't listen! Ego's get in the way of doing what's right and clique's spring up with this group against that group within the association, some run off and form their own group most just fade away back to their life, isn't like most of us already have enough problems in life, why volunteer for more?

Then some just never join ANYTHING for any reason.

Long as we continue to do the same ol thing we'll get the same ol result.

Is a way out of all this mess BUT it would require ego's be checked at the door, best idea's ran with, old idea's that haven't ever worked left by the wayside and a rebranding of who we are and what we do to attract major donor's not keep digging around in broke trapper's pockets for money.

Wake me up when all that happens.

J,
Their gonna howl at me for this post, but I like howling at the moon music, so oh well.

It has been theorized from some very deep thinkers that when this country tossed out the Bible as the source of Truth (late 1800's really was the landslide)
it absolutely opened the door wide open for everyone to decide their own truth.
And here we is today. grin

I am in that camp of how we got here. And we're not going back to anything normal or close to it, on the backs of human wisdom. Never. Mars, or no Mars.

It's pretty evident as we lament about our differences.
It even resides in this marvelous forum.
Each of us can be what we always wanted to be: The Boss.

Where does Truth come from anyway?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 09:07 PM

What does it hurt to spend a few raccoon hides and join more than one association?
It's not a money thing. People spend more on the weekend for R&R than supporting 5 associations for a year.
It's what YOU think is important to YOU.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 09:12 PM

We trapper's should support many associations,I'm MTA MN ,MTA Montana,ID,NTA and Fur Taker's.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 09:35 PM

I have always suspected that many people involved in the National organizations are in the trapline supply business?

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 09:44 PM

I have always suspected that many people involved in the National organizations are in the trapline supply business?

???? Who?

Who would have time to do both?

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 09:57 PM

Visit our Advertisers
Cumberland's Northwest Trappers
Fleming Traps
Funke Trap Tags
Fur Hat World
Fur Source
Glacier Wear
Hilltop Outdoor Supply
Kaatz Bros. Lures
Mark June Lures
Minnesota Trapline Products
Montgomery Trap & Supply
Murrays Lures
Northern Sport Trapping
Papio Creek Trapping Supply
Schmitt Enterprises
Sheepskin Town
Skandinivak Fur
Trappers World
Volkers Trapping Supplies
Wildlife Control Supplies
Moyle Mink & Tannery
F & T Trading Post

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 10:00 PM

What is your point Dirt? It's not obvious. It seemed you were saying people who own trapping businesses were board members of associations?

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 10:30 PM

At one time a state org did not allow dealers to be O or D.
That did not last long as no one else would step up.
Pretty sure they are taking applications.
Even from those who resupply at conventions, who are not yet members.
Those chores are all gravy, step right up lol.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 11:32 PM

If National or local Associations hold fur sales that out preform other venues and to participate you have to be a member; I bet membership would increase. Pay to Play

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 11:37 PM

Could the fact that some trappers who work long hours to advocate trapping to those who don't like us or don't understand us, and who make the laws, be an incentive to help them financially = dues?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/19/21 11:37 PM

If National or local Associations hold fur sales that out produce other venues and to participate you have to be a member; I bet membership would increase. Pay to Play

To sell at the NDFTA sale you have to be a member. Why would an association have a sale for non members? The board puts on the sale for the members. We do it more as an option for members than a fund raiser. We are seeing more involvement from members all the time. Which we like. We are not having a sale for the board. Get off your butt and lend a hand in what ever state you are in.

Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 02:42 AM

How are your local legislators feelings on trapping. I have talked with a lot as well and doesn’t seem to fall on party lines more so on urban and rural

While I agree that it's an urban VS rural issue it's disingenuous to say it doesn't fall on party lines when one digs deeper into the issue. We will find the vast majority of Republican legislators in this state aren't interested in changing trapping legislation. We will find that most of the rural Democrats aren't all that interested in changing trapping legislation.

Now here is where the nuts and bolts of the situation lies and that is committee chairmen and the power the party in charge has. Most of the elected Democrats in this state are from urban areas and if/when the get in charge it's a disaster. Take a look at the leadership of the house Environment and Natural Resource committee right now. Look up their voting records, bill sponsorship and cosponsorships from the past. Then take a look at the minority leadership and get back to us if you don't think it's a Republican Vs. Democrat issue.

If the MN house was Republican I'd sleep a lot better at night like I did when they were last in charge and Representative Fabian was in charge of the committee.

If the Democrats would have taken the senate this fall I'd be moving.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 02:46 AM

Ms. fur auction you didn't have to be a member to sell at but members commission was like 6 percent i think and non members commission was 10 percent, EVERYONE who sold there were members, haha.
Posted By: banchee

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 03:28 AM

eh! explain how our brothers in california feel or other states where trapping has ben banned or severelry restricted, seems when fur is high the membership in the orgasations goes way up or if there is legislatin pending membership goes up but year to year membership always depends on the brothers who remain members because its the right thing to dosame as belonging to the nra should be a regular thing not when a new president is elected or ani gun stuff is prposed. as an individulal we cant do alot to be heard but when a group of memebers of a states assoation we have a much stronger voice that can be heard and takn seruously . i agree with fur prices in the dump many guys are going to hang it up and not trap anymore for their own reasons, i have a good job and an army retirement i dont trap for the money ,though its nice to make a soild profit when its time to sell, but being in the woods laying steel and putting up fur is something i truly enjoy money or no money, i maninly trap beave a hard life hauling skinning strethcing ect alot of work with low low return no adays but i keepat it ilove it. i would advise ecery brother and sister out there to join their state assoction and the fts and nts we have got to have the representives to make our case for trapping in this modern world other wise we will all end up like califormia
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Not sure how many licensed trappers in Idaho but I know there are over 700 members of the ITA. We also have other organizations in ID, such as the Intermountain Fur Harvesters Association, Upper Snake River Trapper's Association and Foundation for Wildlife Management, but ITA is the big one.

The last I heard, Idaho has 1,800 licensed trappers. How many states can boast 1/3 of licensed trappers belong to their association. As mink guy said, you need an incentive to join. Rusty Cramer, our ITA president and crew puts out a great quality trapping magazine. I belong to several out of state organizations but they are not giving me any incentives to rejoin.
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 05:34 AM

American Trapper that the NTA puts out has been as good as any trapping magazine out there lately. Rich Faler is doing a great job with it. That’s a good incentive to join NTA.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

While I agree that it's an urban VS rural issue it's disingenuous to say it doesn't fall on party lines when one digs deeper into the issue. We will find the vast majority of Republican legislators in this state aren't interested in changing trapping legislation. We will find that most of the rural Democrats aren't all that interested in changing trapping legislation.

Now here is where the nuts and bolts of the situation lies and that is committee chairmen and the power the party in charge has. Most of the elected Democrats in this state are from urban areas and if/when the get in charge it's a disaster. Take a look at the leadership of the house Environment and Natural Resource committee right now. Look up their voting records, bill sponsorship and cosponsorships from the past. Then take a look at the minority leadership and get back to us if you don't think it's a Republican Vs. Democrat issue.

If the MN house was Republican I'd sleep a lot better at night like I did when they were last in charge and Representative Fabian was in charge of the committee.

If the Democrats would have taken the senate this fall I'd be moving.

I guess I didn’t elaborate enough on that particular post. The one earlier I did. The vote on the amendment on the DNR omnibus bill in 2019 was not on party lines that was more urban vs rural. Also who authored the written permission bill that year?
I also agree Fabian is going to be missed. What were his thoughts on NR trapping?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 02:16 PM

Out of about 14,000 Licensed New York State trappers,
only around less than 2,000 are members of NYSTA.

There are some very sad, but valid reasons for this
sad state of affairs.

Lack of transparency, no communication, and no accountability
are the main reasons why.

walleyed
Posted By: BobMo

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 03:46 PM

Two of them are actually for it. The one that is not has the politicians on there side

That is factually incorrect. Only the Commercial Trappers Association in Minnesota and the FTA have financially and politically supported legal and political efforts in support of NR trapping in Minnesota. The other 2 have actively opposed political and legal efforts to allow nr NR trapping in Minnesota .
Posted By: Idahotrapguy

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 06:20 PM

A lot of great discussion here. In my opinion a state trappers association is not there to hold fur sales, banquets and conventions. Yes those are cool to have, my group hosts all three of those but that is not the main reason for a State Trappers Association to function. I feel a State Trappers Association is to promote, protect and educate on trapping in your state. Promoting your club at sportsmen shows, dog events, other sporting group banquets and advertising about the work they do. Protecting trapping by furthering fish and game trapping laws, fighting to keep trapping laws already in place, fighting federal lawsuits and fighting anti trapping legislation. Educating our current trapping base through further education, clinics and discussions at meetings. Educating our youth at trapping education at schools (we do a lot of 4th grade Idaho History class events), trapping demos directed towards youth and fish and game youth trapper Ed. I understand some associations are still a "good ole boys club" or are extremely inactive. Their is also people that were "wronged/disrespected/ignored" 5, 10 or 20 years ago. But the bottom line it is easier to whine and complain on the computer than get involved in your club. It's easier to dwell on what happened 5, 10 or 20 years ago instead of moving on and protecting trapping. And last but not least, so many people won't think twice about spending $25 on booze and scratch tickets on the way home from work but say its too expensive to spend 25-30 bucks to support your state association. We all need to move on and try and put ego's and past hard feelings aside and work together. The antis could give a bleep if we want to work with each other states, work with livestock groups, work with hound hunters, work with trapping groups in our own states or work with other hunting groups. The real enemies are Humane Society, Defenders of Wildlife, Wyoming Untrapped, Footloose Montana, Western Watersheds, Center for Biological Diversity, ect. They don't care if they are attacking bear baiting in Maine, trapping in New Mexico or ban of sale of fur in Oregon. It is all the same folks.
I know most of us on here aren't the richest people in the world, but we can contribute to the fight. I take my fur check and buy 1 or 2 new life membership each year. I believe I am up to 16. I'm a member of both hound organizations in Idaho even though I only own a cow dog because they actively support trapping. I'm a member of the Idaho State Bowhunters and have never held a bow but they support Idaho Trapping. The Idaho Trappers Association is members of Idaho Cattlemen's Association and Idaho Wool Growers Association and donate to their banquets. Why???? Because they actively and vocally support trapping and our trapping proposals. The enemies to ranchers are the enemies to trappers.
Yes, having a lobbyist working for us, attending commission meetings, attending sportsmen shows, supporting banquets and going to schools to educate takes money. Producing a magazine costs money. I feel that using your money proactively is better than rat-holing it all. We have to be aggressive. We need all the members we can get, people attending our events to further the work we are doing in Idaho. We can only do so much, but I'm doing everything I can do promote, protect and educate on trapping in Idaho. The few negative voices won't slow us down in Idaho...Go to www.idahotrappersassociation to sign up for a membership and an awesome 40 page magazine if you want to support our mission.
Rusty Kramer
President of Idaho Trappers Association
Life Member of NTA, ITA, NRA and life member of 16 state organizations
Board of Directors of NTA and FTA
Posted By: Idahotrapguy

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 06:28 PM

BobMo, what are the three organizations in Minnesota?

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 06:40 PM

[

I guess I didn’t elaborate enough on that particular post. The one earlier I did. The vote on the amendment on the DNR omnibus bill in 2019 was not on party lines that was more urban vs rural. Also who authored the written permission bill that year?
I also agree Fabian is going to be missed. What were his thoughts on NR trapping?

Well as you know it takes two versions of a bill to pass, one in the house and one in the senate. The senate bill, SF 842, had five authors. Two were metro Republicans, Housley later pulled her support for the bill after much discussion with the MTA I don't recall if Pratt ever pulled his endorsement or not. Both thought it was a matter of property rights and not antitrapping.

The house version, HF 880, had 11 sponsors. One was a republican. Incidentally in 2019 the house was controlled by democrats and the bill passed. Well if memory serves me correct it was added to DNR omnibus bill and that bill passed. The senate omnibus passed without the written permission language and was removed in reconciliation. If the senate would have been controlled by the democrats that year it would have been a law.

In 2019 there were two other very negative bills introduced. HF2308/SF 2359 which would have changed the way we trap. Also HF 1327/SF927 which would have closed any potential for a timberwolf season. Both bills were blatant anti trapping bills and coincidentally every author was a democrat in the house and senate.

There was another bill introduced that year that goes parrallels our interest and that was SF1700/HF 749 which would have prohibited commercial turtle trapping. Again all authors Democrats. This bill has been introduced again this year and is going to be hard to beat down. \

Take a look good look at the 4 bills authors in the house. You'll find that there are committee leadership members name on every one of them. I'm here to tell anyone that will listen if the Dems take over all three in MN we are going to have to move.

We used to have comfort in the senate as Democrat Tom Bakk was a friend of the trappers but the new crew of liberals have taken away many of his leadership positions and are slowly making him irrelevant. In fact Bakk and Tomassoni both identify as independants and not DFLers anymore. Right now the MN senate is 34 republicans, 31 democrats and the two independents. My guess is in 4 years the Democrats will try unseat both Bakk and Tomossoni in a largely union district.

In regards to Fabian, I've had several conversations with Dan over they years. He was a tough nut to crack in relation to NR trapping although I think it could have been done with the right message. I won't say why I thought Dan was so tough to crack, or at least part of the reason why, on an open discussion. At least not today anyways. Hopefully I'll get to discuss it with him some more as I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Anyways don't take my ramblings as a vote of confidence for the republicans, yes it's rural vs urban and I've said that all these years. It's reality that committee chairs and leadership positions are so important to combat anti bills whether it's trapping or gun control. A persons local democrat house or senate representative could be 100 percent for trapping but if his side holds the majority that persons personal stance is moot.

We won't even talk about the governor lol.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 06:42 PM

Bobmo, I hope all is well with you and your family in these interesting times.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Bobmo, I hope all is well with you and your family in these interesting times.

Thanks Steven. You as well

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 06:52 PM

Steven49er. I agree 100# with your last post and that is pretty much exactly what I meant previously in my post. You articulated it for me. I did not mean to say it was NOT on party lines but was surprised how much it was urban vs rural surprised me. I watched a live stream of the DNR omnibus bill and a republican from a very urban area that was a smart arse and made a jokingly amendment to the wolf part of the bill to have a cougar season in MN. He said in his area 18 to 20 year old men could not walk the streets without being attacked by a cougar. Yep that is our elected officials at work.
Keep an eye out for anymore of those bills and communicate. It’s nice to have a trapper watching for those things instead of counting on someone else to do the work and then complain from their couch.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 07:38 PM

I want to say it was either Drazkowski or Nash who said that. I wanna say Nash but it sounds like Drazkowski's sense of humor.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 08:20 PM

I'm an old codger trapper and all the do-gooder stuff and social events do not interest me. Personally, the best part for me is the sales. Protecting my business also interests me too. Not so much, when it is not a business. Protecting my business means protecting my freedom to engage in trapping and promoting fur price increases. Not everybody joins an association for the same reason. Not every State has the same issues or same threat problems.

What works in one State may not work in another.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 09:28 PM

Some very thoughtful posts on here.

Rusty Kramer, you are an inspiration. Every state organization needs at least one or more like you to be the cement that holds things together.

There are things I could complain about the OTA.... but would that not mean I am volunteering to address those things and make it better?

Should be. We should all take responsibility to help grow our organizations. At the minimum we should be active paying members of our group to support all the fine work they do. Not doing fine work? You know what comes next....
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 10:00 PM

Rusty Kramer, you are an inspiration. Every state organization needs at least one or more like you to be the cement that holds things together.

There are things I could complain about the OTA.... but would that not mean I am volunteering to address those things and make it better?

Should be. We should all take responsibility to help grow our organizations. At the minimum we should be active paying members of our group to support all the fine work they do. Not doing fine work? You know what comes next....

Yes, voting for a party that won't strip us of our freedoms and hobbies.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/20/21 10:53 PM

Just throwing this out there, but if it wasn’t for this site, I would have NO CLUE these organizations existed. We here about every other Org through social media, TV, even magazines. But if you didn’t trap, you’d have no clue about any state or national organization.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

Yes, voting for a party that won't strip us of our freedoms and hobbies.

Sprung, even though you feel the need to keep ragging on me.... ya know what? I love you anyway! grin

(Must be the liberal in me).
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 04:29 AM

Here are some observations after nearly 30 years as Trappers Association secretary in Oregon. It is impossible to please everyone. I believe most states that have more than one Trappers Assoc. had some serious disagreements with each other. Often one part of one state has different needs and problems than another, they then feel left out or ignored. People that get things done usually don't have time to make everybody happy. It didn't take long to figure out who actually would help, if they said they would. The people who did the least usually complained the most.
For years Oregon's membership was more than half of the license trappers in the state. That went out the window when fur prices skyrocketed a few times. Those guys that only chased the dollar were almost never joiners. I have no idea what the percentage is today since I haven't been involved for about six years.
Working with your Fish and Wildlife Dept. is a better way to operate than to be constantly fighting them.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Just throwing this out there, but if it wasn’t for this site, I would have NO CLUE these organizations existed. We here about every other Org through social media, TV, even magazines. But if you didn’t trap, you’d have no clue about any state or national organization.

I was the same when I got started trapping. The local furbuyer had applications but didn't try to get members. We also need to work on getting other organisations on board with us. The cattlemens assoc would be a good one and if given the right reasons I feel it could be done. If we loose the ability to trap for them it would make a world of difference to them.

Education of the public is an area that sorely needs addressed. There are many in the urban areas that don't even give it a thought until their fur baby gets ate by a coyote.

I worked a Boy Scout function in Illinois with Paul Kelly. We were on a rotation and had about an hour with each group. We touched them with truth and they numbered around 500 There were MANY parents that were in these groups as well. It was the first time many had ANY contact with a trapper. Most thought all traps would cut a leg off and all had big teeth like on the cartoons. THIS can be the key to helping our tradition alive. IMHO
Posted By: cattails

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 02:55 PM

My perspective.....Trappers deal with nickels and dimes compared to say Ducks Unlimited. Our profession is tied to a dollar income, so were always doing a income strategy. If we brought in 500 worth of fur, how could we possibly give half of that away to promote trapping. after spending 250 on gas and supply's . I've lost money!!. At one point I decided that I would not torture myself with that anymore. If I need to make money I'll go to work. I trap a duck club property and know several of these guys. I can only guess the money they spend to shoot a duck! The DU can raise 10,000 in a heartbeat. Try to raise 10,000 in a state run trappers org. I don't know a way past this....it is just my opinion

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Idahotrapguy
BobMo, what are the three organizations in Minnesota?

MTA, Commercial Trappers of MN, and MN forest zone trappers.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 04:16 PM

I just got into trapping, and I love it. I don't want it to go away, but I'm not sure which organization to join. Sportsman Alliance, NTA, FTA, or the Texas one TTFHA? Recommendations appreciated.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
I just got into trapping, and I love it. I don't want it to go away, but I'm not sure which organization to join. Sportsman Alliance, NTA, FTA, or the Texas one TTFHA? Recommendations appreciated.

FTA is top of my list
The Sportsmans Alliance https://www.sportsmensalliance.org/
Supports all sports

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by cattails

My perspective.....Trappers deal with nickels and dimes compared to say Ducks Unlimited. Our profession is tied to a dollar income, so were always doing a income strategy. If we brought in 500 worth of fur, how could we possibly give half of that away to promote trapping. after spending 250 on gas and supply's . I've lost money!!. At one point I decided that I would not torture myself with that anymore. If I need to make money I'll go to work. I trap a duck club property and know several of these guys. I can only guess the money they spend to shoot a duck! The DU can raise 10,000 in a heartbeat. Try to raise 10,000 in a state run trappers org. I don't know a way past this....it is just my opinion

You know the big donors to DU may be the manufacturers of duck hunting supplies, retailers , and duck hunting operations. All in a sport that generates far more income than trapping does.

It would be interesting to know how association revenues fluctuate with the value of the furbearers of their areas.

Seems right now the most active and lively Associations are in Heavy Coyote and Bobcat country at this point in time. Subject to change.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BobMo

FTA is top of my list
The Sportsmans Alliance https://www.sportsmensalliance.org/
Supports all sports

I decided to join the FTA and the Texas group TTFHA.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:14 PM

I think we, us or our organizations miss the boat is not working hard or promoting trapping to more people that are not interested in big numbers, record catches, etc. etc. Many people that live in metro or crowded areas also own land in rural places for vacations, hunting etc. These persons may just want to catch a few yotes, beaver, coons, chipmunks, grinners etc. We tend to poo-poo those that don't want to go hard and live like Hugh Glass or Jim Bridger. Many of these persons who we could bring into our tent also have far, far more income and wealth then most trappers do or are willing to spend. Yes those persons would change the nature of our organizations a bit and we would have to accept them as good advocates instead of looking down our noses at them as we many times do. Working to bring them into the fold to me makes more sense as they are likely to stick with us longer, donate more and be a political voice then trying to spend all of our time convincing youth to start trapping. Training youth through trapper education is a very wise thing to do, but depending upon them for our future is tome a bit nostalgic on our part.

Bryce

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:22 PM

You know Bryce when I was teenager catching a few coon was good money. Recruitment of youth trappers wasn't even necessary. If you have to promote people doing something, they obviously are not naturally attracted to it. We were naturally attracted to $30 coon back then.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:29 PM

Most of us that trap were exposed to the pursuit in some way. Youth education is just a way of exposing kids to an outdoor activity that they normally would know nothing about. Even if it isn't for them, they get to see our side of trapping in a positive light.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:37 PM

Dirt and Wanna Be/Drifter said the two biggest things.

I trapped for almost 40 years and never heard of ANY trapping org. It wasn't until I got a computer and stumbled onto this site that I became aware of them.

Second is like Dirt said. We can introduce them to trapping but like anything in life, it needs to sell itself also to keep them interested, let alone spend money to defend it.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

I trapped for almost 40 years and never heard of ANY trapping org. It wasn't until I got a computer and stumbled onto this site that I became aware of them.

Second is like Dirt said. We can introduce them to trapping but like anything in life, it also needs to sell itself also to keep them interested, let alone spend money to defend it.

This is interesting. When I was young, I bought, read, and or had a subscription to FUR-FISH-GAME. This magazine was almost always in the magazine rack with with Sports Afield and Field and Stream. I believe towards the back of the magazine there was a page for trapper organizations. Must be how I knew about them.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 05:59 PM

I wish these sites had better products for sale. A lot of these items are absolutley terrible.
Posted By: cattails

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 06:12 PM

I wish these sites had better products for sale. A lot of these items are absolutley terrible.

What????? You are in the master club here. If you can"t find it available through this site.....it's not available

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by cattails

What????? You are in the master club here. If you can"t find it available through this site.....it's not available

I'm talking about the products the trapper organizations like NTA and FTA sell. I think they could make more for their organizations if they had products that looked better.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 06:29 PM

Just joined and already complaining. You should fit right in. smile

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

Second is like Dirt said. We can introduce them to trapping but like anything in life, it also needs to sell itself also to keep them interested, let alone spend money to defend it.

This is interesting. When I was young, I bought, read, and or had a subscription to FUR-FISH-GAME. This magazine was almost always in the magazine rack with with Sports Afield and Field and Stream. I believe towards the back of the magazine there was a page for trapper organizations. Must be how I knew about them.

Its true.

I can't say I ever read a magazine and guaranteed I never read a book. I don't w.watch videos on the net either, often wanted to ask guys like Finster if they actually watch the videos they post.

The reading I do here is the most I've ever done in my life. I'm too antsi to get past one paragraph let alone an article.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 06:41 PM

That said, I've spent hours apon hours at Dutch Elsassers shop and never a hint about a trappers assn. Even off years that I didn't trap because of low fur prices, I was in his shop regularly buying guns or reloading equipment.

This makes me wonder.......and hopefully they will chime in.

Do other fur buyers like Jerry Johnston and Bob Jameson have literature on trapping associations on display in their shops?

To join the Pa. Trappers I drove to one of their rondys to join.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/21/21 11:58 PM

Almost all online or paper catalogs that trapping supply houses have or send out have many promo spots for joining your state, local or national organization. If one has ordered supplies for decades and not seeing those then one most likely was not looking for them nor planning to join. I trapped for about 8 years as a youth and then had a about a 15 year time when I did not trap. I joined our WTA in 1980 the spring before I ever set a trap that fall and have stayed a member since and am also a member of the FTA and NTA.

Bryce
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 12:20 AM

Hey -- Beaverpeeler -- Did you convince Stan to contact me? ----- Thank- you , We don't agree politically but definitely wildlife wise. I will be getting much more politically involved (sorry), I think I just needed some direction. Thanks again - Davem
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 12:40 AM

Interesting discussion. I became a lifetime member of the WTA (Wisconsin Trappers Association) when I could afford it ($500) at the time. Up until then I paid my yearly dues which seemed low to me compared to other groups I am part of. The Brown County Izaak Walton League (Green Bay Chapter) annual membership is over $120.00 a year and like others have said they never have problems raising funds when needed. Last week, they raised $16,000 plus for the local chapter electronically in 24 hours. There are all types of people in the group from hunters, fishers, birders, canoers, etc. but they all share a passion for the environment and clean water.

Trappers are a very fiscally conservative bunch that are very tight with their money and it really hurts us when we have to lobby on issues against groups that have deep pockets. Without our association our voice doesn't get heard nearly as much.
Posted By: Oregon Beaver Tr

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 01:09 AM

Hey Guys and Hopefully a few Gals,

I have read the previous post and replies with great interest. I have often thought, why do some trappers belong to a few trapping organizations and others don't?
The answer to this question is revealed by the positive comments and sometimes harsh criticisms contained in this thread. From New York, Alaska to New Mexico, with exception of the fur trade era, trappers have historically been an independent and highly opinionated lot! Often, trying to get a fellow trapper's recipe for the best coyote lure west of the Mississippi was akin to pulling teeth! We have been, and I imagine always will be somewhat protective of our own turf, and I guess that is as it should be. However, with all the anti-this and anti-that hysteria taking place across America today, we should now more than ever, come together as a band of brothers and sisters allied in the good fight against those who want us and our nature connected lifestyles to VANISH FOREVER!

You might be one of the fortunate few who live in a state that at least for the time being, is not directly in the cross-hairs of the anti-trapping, animal rights political movement! Hopefully you will not experience in your trapping lifetimes what Oregon, Montana, Maine, California, Colorado, Washington and New Mexico trappers have endured. However, my guess is you, your children or your grandchildren will soon be under attack. Take a moment and do a quick search for HSUS or Defenders of Wildlife in your state and my guess is you will find a chapter that you can most assuredly believe is working either overtly or quietly everyday to regulate you into extinction. The relentless, never ending attacks on our heritage and the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation by the Wild Earth Guardians, HSUS, Center for Biological Diversity, Portland Audubon and their ilk are just a coon's whisker away from successfully banning public land trapping in New Mexico and Oregon. They are parading on You Tube and Face Book to the non-harvesting - gathering public a campaign titled: "Reimagining Wildlife Governance." If you think I am being hyperbolic, take a moment and type in Wild Earth Guardian's and check out their on-line library. Yes, President Biden's Secretary of the Interior Nominee Deb Haaland can be seen on their You Tube recordings telling the world how much she despises public land trapping and by extension trappers! Better buckle up tight bucko, it is going to be a scary eight second ride. This well funded and strategically coordinated anti-trapping effort is a sad example that the cancel culture is alive and thriving in today's nature disconnected society. It is my greatest fear that if hunters and trappers don't put their minor differences aside, and join forces by becoming members of their respective state trapping organizations, the NTA - FTA and the SA then the fate of today's trappers, cultural descendants of the early fur trappers and traders who laid the cornerstone of the greatest nation in the world may, simply be "Cancelled." It is the anti's collective mission. You as a trapper are by nature - deplorable and need to disappear from a modern progressive society!

I applaud what Rusty has accomplished in Idaho and his efforts should be an example for all of us - I certainly know it has been for me and The Oregon Trapper's Association.

Please join me in fighting what appears to the battle of our lifetime by joining your state TRAPPER'S ASSOCIATION and the NATIONAL TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION, the FUR TAKERS OF AMERICA and the SPORTSMAN'S ALLIANCE. It will might the cheapest insurance policy you have ever bought, it might save your trapping life and just like a well dyed and waxed MB-650, it can be passed on for the cultural enrichment of future generations.

There are approximately 275,000 licensed trappers and furbearer hunters in America, just think of the local, state and national political power house we could be if we became a "BAND OF BROTHERS." It doesn't matter whether you do ADC work or whether you just trap for fur and sometimes a little profit: WE ARE ALL TRAPPER CONSERVATIONISTS AND WE MUST HAVE EACH OTHER'S SIX.

Remember, early on in this ditty I mentioned how the early fur trade trappers banded together, well we must just like they long ago realized, form brigades to successfully protect ourselves from the wolves and hostiles at our door.

Keep America Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and Sport Shooting

Oregon Beaver Trapper

You
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 01:38 AM

I was a member of the NTA and joined the FTA today because of this discussion. Thanks all.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 01:42 AM

I first joined PTA in 77, the mem card is blue, what do I win?
Nothing.

At one time I was on a spiel asking everyone,
Why, is 100% of the work done by 8% of the members?
When I whined to Ron Fair (RIP), he said,
That does not help AND,
don't discourage those inactives because in the end,
we need the numbers where it counts.
I learned that day.

Best topic on here,
youns are all welcome to my fire.

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 01:50 AM

Member of the MTA. Joined NTA and FTA yesterday

Re: Trapper apathy - 02/22/21 01:57 AM