Home

Help on price for used pickup

Posted By: snowy

Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 02:52 PM

Okay, I have 2004, 1500, Z71, crew cab, 50,000 miles and in super excellent condition. This truck has only been on gravel road maybe 10 miles, has never pulled one time I don't remember if any one has even road in the back seat and most miles have been long distant miles.

KBB has the high end price at $15000 for private selling. I want your opinion on an asking price to sell private for this pickup. If I ask $14000 would it be a fair price and if you where looking for a good pickup is that a good price?

I know I will get what someone is willing to pay, I get that but would like to know your opinion on price verses year of truck etc..
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 02:56 PM

Sounds like a fairly good deal. Think the mileage that doesn’t match the years might throw some people off. Personally I’m looking at mileage first, then worry about how old it is.
Posted By: beeman

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:02 PM

You should be able to get a premium price for this truck. You have a truck with only 50,000 miles. That in itself is worth a premium. You can also use the NADA pricing guide. Also go to different car purchasing websites to see if there are any comparable trucks for sale like yours. Good clean, low mileage pickups bring a premium. Good luck
Posted By: Wesley

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:19 PM

I think you’ll wind up getting under 10 for it. Low miles and good condition yes, but still an old truck with an old body style. I know that I’d take a newer truck with a few more miles on it if price was the same.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:23 PM

I'd start with the kbb price and let em chisel from there.
My first thought was here is one that sat a lot.
If garage kept include that info.
Engine size and drive train matters too.
RPO code will tell options, google that.
Sounds like a dandy.

Pick up prices have been way high over here.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:36 PM

Publish the carfax on it. you will get your money back and then some.
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:51 PM

Remember that KBB is inflated pricing used by dealers. It will hard to sell a 2004 at that price. People don’t care about the low mileage they will be quick to remind you over and over that is a 2004!! For some reason the year is more important then anything else.

My advice would be to figure out the bottom dollar you need then leave enough room to negotiate.

I just went through this selling my 2004 Dodge diesel.

B

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:51 PM

Thanks for your replies very much appreciated! On a trade they allowed me 8K and I will keep it for that and run it till it dies. Then I looked it up for pricing to sell private and the high end was 15K plus so I will sell out right and see what happens. I just didn't want to discourage a buyer with the price but the truck is absolutely brand new in a sense.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:55 PM

Just search and see what others of the same year are selling for.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 03:58 PM

That is one of the best trucks GM ever made, if I had not just bought a new truck I would be on my way to Montana to look at that one. Personally I wouldn't sell that gem, if I did I would ask a premium and not care if it sold or not.

There is a premium market for older vehicles in great shape, just may have to advertise a bit to find a buyer.

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:15 PM

Thanks that info gives me some great ideas. I'm not a sales person any way shape of form so will be an interesting to see how it turns out.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:21 PM

If you get offered close to $10k, take it and run. I would be surprised if you do. Low miles or not, at that age it will need repairs in the near future.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:23 PM

Around here a $10,000 truck is all used up and miled out

$ 13k to $ 15k seems good
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:30 PM

my 2004 GMC 1500 seiarra WT(work truck) 2wd with 120K miles was 6K last year , I think it might actually sell for the same today . used trucks are not falling in value some even going up.

12K wouldn't be out of line at all in my thinking and from what I have seen here for a 4wd with low miles you could definitely start asking 14 as it sounds like a very clean truck

the pre 2005 are before GM went really cheap before the collapse and recession. not cheap in sale price , cheap in parts.

remember it may need some repairs but you cant hardly touch that for options and use for less that almost 40K new right now the used truck prices just keep holding or going up.

Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
Thanks for your replies very much appreciated! On a trade they allowed me 8K and I will keep it for that and run it till it dies. Then I looked it up for pricing to sell private and the high end was 15K plus so I will sell out right and see what happens. I just didn't want to discourage a buyer with the price but the truck is absolutely brand new in a sense.

8k seems like an insult to me.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
If you get offered close to $10k, take it and run. I would be surprised if you do. Low miles or not, at that age it will need repairs in the near future.

I don't buy that. People buy old classic cars all the time that are just fine. It's also not the miles driven, but how they were driven.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:53 PM

With the current demand for used vehicles, $15k would be a steal for something like that around here. It's harder to talk them up than it is for them to talk you down.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:56 PM

With the current demand for used vehicles, $15k would be a steal for something like that around here. My 05 F150 has almost 200K on it. Book says it's worth $1500 yet I see something compatible online for $15,000. It's harder for you to talk them up than it is for them to talk you down.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 04:59 PM

What year does classic start?
I've a 91 that's pretty nice.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 05:27 PM

I bought a 06 GMC HD 2500 4x4 June of 2018 for $13,000 with 117,000 miles on it. Was in Texas every winter. Compared to the price of new trucks, I wouldn’t go below $15,000. Check out Auctiontime. Neighbor sold a Mack nurse truck on their and it went to Puerto Rico. Good luck.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 05:58 PM

I sent you a message, check your in box.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 07:41 PM

stick to the KBB value. I think the 13 to 15k range sounds fair.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 07:59 PM

Thanks that info gives me some great ideas. I'm not a sales person any way shape of form so will be an interesting to see how it turns out.

Oh, I don't know about that. You have just notified 36,338 trappers of a potential truck for sale and told them all how great it is and you don't know what to sell it for,,, and there are some of them that don't know any better than to buy a Chevy.... Seems like a good sales policy to me. LOL laugh
Posted By: DRF

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 08:00 PM

Bet a dealer would be asking 16 or more for it. I would do the same.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 09:22 PM

A fairly common private sale practice is to negotiate a price half way between book resale and book wholesale, maybe a little higher because its shinny and waxed with no need to replace tires for a couple of years.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/20/21 09:55 PM

If it were Krown rust proofed annually and just below Ontario I'd be talking to you.

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 02:06 AM

No rust and chrome nurf bar from front to rear doors don't even have a speck of rust. I don't beleive it has set out one night under the stars either.

Now that dealer that really low balled me at 8K won't give me a price for a straight out out the door price on the small SUV I'm interested in. I told I will sell private give me a cash price on the outfit and he keeps asking more questions. Lol

I plan on selling it myself and will contact a couple more dealers and get a price. I had a guy in the sales business tell me that what ever the total list price on the invoice and take off 14% and tell dealer that is what I will pay for that outfit. If you get it for 12% off of list price you have done real good. With rebates and or cash incentives plus the starting at 14% off list price I will see if I can get the price or close too my price and buy it and sell mine after i purchase it.
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 02:32 AM

I would say you wouldnt have it listed long at $15000. That body style is very sought after and especially when lower miles and rust free. If I were you, I would private sale it, or else your gonna get a screwin if you trade it in

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by possumcatcher
I would say you wouldnt have it listed long at $15000. That body style is very sought after and especially when lower miles and rust free. If I were you, I would private sale it, or else your gonna get a screwin if you trade it in

Man I'm glad a talked to you boys. Yep gonna sell it myself and thanks for the advise I really do appreciate everyone help.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 02:38 AM

Why get rid of such a nice truck ?

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Why get rid of such a nice truck ?

AntiGov>> that is a good question and a question I been asking myself for the last 2 or 3 years. I just don't use it much and want to get something better on fuel. Also would like to catch up on some years and this new one or good used one I'm going to buy might make to to my grave. I have ranch trucks and a car etc.. to many to keep up with. Down sizing I guess is my best answer.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 02:23 PM

I never give more then the bank will loan on it. But sounds like a good truck, I know guy who waste there money and would give you more then loan value. That truck will go another 150,000 miles if took care of. Sounds like a great deal for someone.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 03:17 PM

I think the cost of gas due to lower mileage likely pales in comparison to the cost of depreciation on a new vehicle. If the old one is running good and is dependable and comfortable to use, I would keep it and be ahead on money.

If you are dead set on selling, you might try CarMax and see what they will give you as a comparison to what the dealer offered. You should get more in a private sale for sure but it will tell you something about the dealer's offer.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 03:48 PM

Sure wish it was close to Va.
I'd like to have it, been looking for 1 like that.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 03:56 PM

I have a 2005 and a 2006 and I love these trucks, I also had a 2001 that I sold once it got to 300k miles but it was still going strong. That truck would easily bring $15k around here in East Tennessee. Good luck with the sale.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 04:17 PM

I don't know about the prices in your part of the Country, but on the west coast I have a hunch that KBB is just a subsidiary of the auto insurance industry (quoting low values for the benefit of the insurance co's). Out this way you will find that trucks, particularly 4x4 will always sell for a lot more than KBB. KBB says their values take into account regional differences but my experience says otherwise.

I know a couple of guys in the business of buying wrecked autos at the big auctions like Co-part, and they tell me that the prices of vehicles have recently skyrocketed at the auctions.

Your truck might bring more than you think.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 04:47 PM

I just sold a 06 2500hd, duramax with 283,000 miles on it for 14,750 on a auction. I have owned it for 11 years and was very well maintained. No rust and no dents. I inherited my dad's 06 2500hd duramax with 135,00 miles, only reason I sold mine.
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 08:07 PM

For what its worth most of the banks around here use NADA guide for figuring loan value.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Help on price for used pickup - 02/21/21 09:09 PM

Okay, I have 2004, 1500, Z71, crew cab, 50,000 miles and in super excellent condition. This truck has only been on gravel road maybe 10 miles, has never pulled one time I don't remember if any one has even road in the back seat and most miles have been long distant miles.

KBB has the high end price at $15000 for private selling. I want your opinion on an asking price to sell private for this pickup. If I ask $14000 would it be a fair price and if you where looking for a good pickup is that a good price?

I know I will get what someone is willing to pay, I get that but would like to know your opinion on price verses year of truck etc..

Local markets vary greatly. Two years ago I wanted a truck like yours (only newer) and it was hard to find one in SE PA for less than $18,000 - $20,000. I will not spent that kind of money for a used truck so I bought a new one. About a year ago my wife decided she needed a vehicle comparable to yours. She found a 2005 with a little over 100,000 miles and bought it from a dealer for $8,500 Just speaking for me, if your truck is a 5.3 I would buy if for $10,000 but at $15,000 I'd sooner go new. Remember free information is worth what you paid for it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums