Home

Ordered 6.8 western today

Posted By: Bruce T

Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 12:32 AM

Don't know the time frame but just ordered a model 70 winchester featherweight rifle with pre 64 action in 6.8 western from a local gunshop.Can't wait to get my hands on it.Going to add a 3x10 wrap around 50mm Leopold scope with Leopold scope mounts.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 12:52 AM

"Pre 64" action or newer "Pre 64 style" action?
Posted By: headache73

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 03:51 AM

Sounds interesting........ I'm on the hunt for a Winchester 97, myself. That new round sound's fun to play with, for sure
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 04:03 AM

Congrats man, that's a nice pick. Please post pics of your new baby.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
"Pre 64" action or newer "Pre 64 style" action?

New pre64 action.Gun is brand new.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 06:12 PM

so, near as I can tell its a fast twist 270 wsm loaded with heavy for caliber bullets, hope it fairs better than the wsm's
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 06:15 PM

They keep trying to bring interesting variants to the shooting world. The 6.8 has me interested in trying a new round.
I never jumped on the short mag frenzy. These short fatties are the same, only different.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 06:15 PM

Make sure to secure 2, to 3 barrels worth of brass, powder, and bullets.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B

1800 per barrel so about 3600-5500 rounds and 1-2 spare barrels if you don't get into the target game should be set for life
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
so, near as I can tell its a fast twist 270 wsm loaded with heavy for caliber bullets, hope it fairs better than the wsm's

Yeah , they're hard to find shells for
Posted By: Zim

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 08:00 PM

I saw the other day they were $63/box at Optics Planet.

Zim

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 08:03 PM

I will pick up at least 200 rounds of ammunition for it.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/21/21 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

1800 per barrel so about 3600-5500 rounds and 1-2 spare barrels if you don't get into the target game should be set for life

1 barrel would be plenty

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 03:05 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 04:47 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 05:41 PM

I don't call a 8 twist fast but it works with the 160 to 180 gr bullet.
The interesting thing is they shortens the 270 wsm case changed the shoulder and pave les powder to get great velocity, now I see more bullets coming out for this caliber I hope
Posted By: hippie

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 05:44 PM

Short and fat is where its at. Took along time for folks to figure it out but it takes slot less powder to get the same results.

But! Long and even fatter is gooder laugh

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 05:46 PM

Have fun with your new gun Bruce.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 10:44 PM

More power then 7mm mag with the 165 grain bullets with less recoil.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 11:08 PM

Does this thing come with a man bun like the 6.5 Creedmore? It seems to be a flavor of the week. I’d stock up on ammo and reloading dies if I were you.

Originally Posted by hippie
Short and fat is where its at. Took along time for folks to figure it out but it takes slot less powder to get the same results.

Doesn’t help explain all the WSM, WSSM and Ultra Mag cartridges that came around ~20 years ago and now aren’t being made.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 11:24 PM

Blows the 6.5 creedmore out of the water.No man bun either.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/22/21 11:58 PM

What did those shells run^^^?
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 01:18 AM

I'm thinking that this cartridge will be around a long time it's realy the best of all worlds for long range hunting .
I have a 6.5× 284 norma built this long before the creed came out and it is a dream out to 1200 yards with 140 grain pills I run. 264 win out to 700 we're I feel comfortable with a clean kill, have taken a 280 rem out to 1000 on paper, got 300 wsm that I take out to it's potential, and now this hear 6.8 is the gun that I'd shoot out to 1200 with out the shoulder pounding of a 300 or 7mm but I will say haters will hate but what this gun is actually design for most ppl will not even have the tools to take it there or the dedication
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by frank1969
Ibut what this gun is actually design for most ppl will not even have the tools to take it there or the dedication

And there lies the problem with these "new" cartridges coming out.

Unless you invest in a HIGH dollar range finder, that ain't gonna do squat over a regular old .270 at 350 yards or less whistle

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle. There's just something about a Featherweight..... I had one years ago in 257 Roberts. I may have to look for another one
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 10:04 AM

I don't call a 8 twist fast but it works with the 160 to 180 gr bullet.
The interesting thing is they shortens the 270 wsm case changed the shoulder and pave les powder to get great velocity, now I see more bullets coming out for this caliber I hope

standard 277 rifling twist is 1/10, sped up to 1/8 for the 6.8, yeah its fast.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Ibut what this gun is actually design for most ppl will not even have the tools to take it there or the dedication

Unless you invest in a HIGH dollar range finder, that ain't gonna do squat over a regular old .270 at 350 yards or less whistle

So people who do are suppose to do without a gun like this?

I just don't get why people feel threatened by something new or better????

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

270 does not have the hitting power of the 6.8 western with 175 grain bullets.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
What did those shells run^^^?

Around $40 to $50 a box of 20 shells.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/23/21 11:53 PM

Very nice rifle. I’m normally not one to jump on the bandwagon, but that cartridge has got some serious good reviews. I’d still like to shoot one before buying though. I sighted in a Savage .270 before hunting season for someone and that particular rifle thought it was a Magnum, lol. I want a rifle I enjoy taking to the range.
Posted By: cbat

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 12:54 AM

I have been shooting 6.5s long before the 6.5 creedmore craze. My first was a 6.5 x 284 Win that shoots a 140 gr AMAX out to 1100 yards quite nice . Then I had to have a 6.5 x 55 Swede which is a nice Tikka. The Swede's have been killing moose for years with this round. And then I had to have a 6.5 x 300 Weatherby just because it is a 6.5 and I really like Weatherby's . And now I have a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6,5 Creedmore just because my buddy gave me one because he thought it would fit nice with the rest of my 6,5s. I would probably buy a 6.8 were it not for the current ammo shortage. Looks like a shooter.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Very nice rifle. I’m normally not one to jump on the bandwagon, but that cartridge has got some serious good reviews. I’d still like to shoot one before buying though. I sighted in a Savage .270 before hunting season for someone and that particular rifle thought it was a Magnum, lol. I want a rifle I enjoy taking to the range.

I've got a Ruger #1 270 with the same problem. That thing smacks the crap out of ya

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 03:36 AM

Very nice rifle. I’m normally not one to jump on the bandwagon, but that cartridge has got some serious good reviews.

Find me a bad review from any gun magazine. The online “independent” gun writers are just as bad.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Clark
Very nice rifle. I’m normally not one to jump on the bandwagon, but that cartridge has got some serious good reviews.

Find me a bad review from any gun magazine. The online “independent” gun writers are just as bad.

See bad reviews all the time.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 03:40 PM

Ammo just become available today.(In stock)I ordered 200 rounds.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 03:50 PM

Looks like a potent round, Bruce. Love the Model 70.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Looks like a potent round, Bruce. Love the Model 70.

Thanks so do I.The ammo is just starting to arrive at the online stores for it.
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/24/21 05:37 PM

Nice, I may need to try it out sometime. 270 Winchester was my first big game rifle. Looks like this one will be a good round.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/26/21 08:03 PM

6.8 Winchester ammo at Fleet farm in Fargo N.D. 43.00 a box.

165 gr Nosler Accu bond bullets

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/26/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1lessdog
6.8 Winchester ammo at Fleet farm in Fargo N.D. 43.00 a box.

165 gr Nosler Accu bond bullets

Nice.Thanks for the information.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/27/21 12:03 AM

WSM 270, but done right to use modern bullets! Great gun. I shoot a 6.5 CM, which I love for whitetail, but if I hunted bigger game, the 6.8 western would be top of my list. I hope it shoots great for you!

Lol, no man bun here

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/27/21 12:59 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/27/21 01:39 AM

Bruce, I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the new pre-64 Model 70 quality when you receive it and shoot it.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/27/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Bruce, I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the new pre-64 Model 70 quality when you receive it and shoot it.

Will do.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/27/21 02:16 AM

My wife killed a cow elk at 589yds with a 6.5x47 which is almost identical to the creedmore. Not the first time she's shot that distance either. Just saying it doesn't take a magnum to get stuff killed. I'd love to have that 6.8 but I wouldn't mind having a creed either.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:17 AM

Not sure how ammo supply is in lower 48, but there isn't much here other than 7.65 Argentine, 7x57R, .416 RM, and 17 HMR. I think I've got enough of the good stuff we shoot to get us through the next 2 or 3 hunting seasons, but not much more.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:22 AM

See bad reviews all the time.

Show me one. I’ll make it easy on you, the Heritage Rough Rider should have loads of bad reviews because it is a cheap, crappy gun. Find one bad review of it from any major gun “news” source.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Not sure how ammo supply is in lower 48, but there isn't much here other than 7.65 Argentine, 7x57R, .416 RM, and 17 HMR. I think I've got enough of the good stuff we shoot to get us through the next 2 or 3 hunting seasons, but not much more.

Just starting to show up the last couple of days.
Posted By: w8n4rut

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:54 AM

Looks to be a nice cartridge I built a no.1 in 30378 a few years ago.
Posted By: w8n4rut

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 02:12 AM

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 14568.jpg

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 02:12 AM

Very nice
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 02:22 AM

I remember when I was a kid me, my father and a few of his friends went hunting one morning. None of us had any luck seeing anything. As dad and his friends were shooting the bull dad looked out and said look at that. About 5 does we’re eating down the power line about 500 yards out. Dad said I’m shooting one of em. He set his climber up the pole and up he went. He sighted in as his friend below him looked through his scope and said ain’t no way. They won’t even know you are shooting at them. Dad fired. I remember seeing a white tail flipping. His buddy looked up and said dang I think you hit it. Dad said I know I did. He shot that deer with a Remington 762 semi auto .270 dialed in at 100 yards. Dad admits it was pure luck. He aimed 4ft high above the deer and nailed her. I remember even as a kid realizing that any rifle in the right hands is capable of unimaginable feats. My old man was never in the service but I know dang well he would’ve made a heck of a sniper. I could only imagine what he could do with a bolt action 6.8 western! Beautiful rifle you have there!

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by T-REV
I remember when I was a kid me, my father and a few of his friends went hunting one morning. None of us had any luck seeing anything. As dad and his friends were shooting the bull dad looked out and said look at that. About 5 does we’re eating down the power line about 500 yards out. Dad said I’m shooting one of em. He set his climber up the pole and up he went. He sighted in as his friend below him looked through his scope and said ain’t no way. They won’t even know you are shooting at them. Dad fired. I remember seeing a white tail flipping. His buddy looked up and said dang I think you hit it. Dad said I know I did. He shot that deer with a Remington 762 semi auto .270 dialed in at 100 yards. Dad admits it was pure luck. He aimed 4ft high above the deer and nailed her. I remember even as a kid realizing that any rifle in the right hands is capable of unimaginable feats. My old man was never in the service but I know dang well he would’ve made a heck of a sniper. I could only imagine what he could do with a bolt action 6.8 western!

Nice.Life is all about memories.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 10:38 AM

6.8 Western
"The Ultimate All-Around Long-Range Hunting Cartridge."
6.8 Western
Why choose the 6.8 Western? Put simply, the 6.8 Western is billed as offering "impressive long-range accuracy, low recoil and staggering knockdown power when you need it for both long-range shooting and hunting." That's a lot to promise from any caliber, but with bullets approaching 30 caliber weights of 165 gr and up with higher ballistic coefficients (BC) being offered, the 6.8 Western is engineered to deliver magnum performance with milder recoil.
The foundation of the 6.8 Western is a modified 270 Winchester Short Magnum case that is shortened to make room for the longer, heavier caliber bullets. With .277 caliber bullets historically in the 130-150 grain range, Winchester worked with Sierra® and Nosler® to develop heavier bullet offerings for the 6.8 Western (up to 175 gr.) that offer shooters increased penetration compared to existing .277 caliber and 6.5mm bullets.

Browning welcomes the Winchester® 6.8 Western cartridge to the X-Bolt rifle line. The cancellation of the 2021 SHOT Show certainly hasn't slowed the release of exciting new products for big game hunters and long-range shooting enthusiasts. Winchester® and Browning®, two storied outdoor brands, have successfully collaborated yet again and developed the new 6.8 Western cartridge and a wide selection of Browning X-Bolt rifles it will be chambered in.

21 new X-Bolt rifles, running the gamut from tricked-out models for hunting to feature-packed long-range models, are scheduled to be chambered in this exciting new cartridge. The X-Bolt is already widely regarded as an excellent shooter right from the box, and the addition of this flat-shooting new caliber gives rifle shooters a new opportunity to maximize downrange accuracy. The 6.8 Western is, "The Ultimate All-Around Long-Range Hunting Cartridge."

The 6.8 Western and the Browning X-Bolt. With a maximum cartridge length of only 2.995", the 6.8 Western falls into the short-action rifle realm. Short-action rifles offer the advantages of being faster cycling and lighter overall than their long-action counterparts. With comparable performance to many long-action magnums, there's little need to bring along the extra burden of a long-action magnum rifle.

In terms of weight and performance the Browning X-Bolt in particular benefits from a short-action magnum like the 6.8 Western. The X-Bolt features a trim receiver that is smaller and lighter than the competition. The accuracy of the X-Bolt has been lauded since it's introduction. Most of the credit can be attributed to the barrel that is precision button rifled and triple-checked for interior finish, straightness and air gauged for uniformity. The action of every X-Bolt is bedded into the stock to ensure the barrel is free floating.

How does the 6.8 Western stack up to the competition? Designed to provide magnum power and accuracy in a short-action, non-belted cartridge, the 6.8 Western is tailored for big game hunting and long-range shooting. When compared to popular magnums, the 6.8 Western is among the best. (See comparison chart below.)

Maximum cartridge overall length is 2.955" to utilize newly developed long, high BC bullets.
7-1/2" twist rate to stabilize modern long, heavy bullets such as those in the new Long Range Pro Hunter ammunition from Browning*.
Heavier bullet weights than 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 270 WSM
More energy than 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 7mm Rem Mag
Less recoil than 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag and 300 PRC
Long, heavy bullets ideal for big game hunting and long-range precision shooting
Chambered in short-action rifles for fast cycling, high accuracy and reduced rifle weight
Refer to the Browning Ammunition website for current specifications.
* At the time of introduction, Browning X-Bolt barrels will feature a 1 in 7-1/2" twist. Check the twist rate inscription on every rifle you purchase to confirm it has the rate best for what you intend to shoot.

The 6.8 Western cartridge is specifically designed to handle long, high BC bullets.

How Does it Stack Up to Other Big Game Cartridges?
6.8 Western Comparison Chart
18% more energy than 7mm Rem Mag 160 gr. Accubond@ 500 yds with similar recoil.
Similar energy as 300 WSM 180 gr. Accubond at 500 yds. with 14% less recoil.
6% more energy than 300 Win Mag 180 gr. Accubond at 500 yds with 16% less recoil.
Short-action reduces rifle weight 5 oz. compared to 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.
Similar trajectory as all three listed options at 500 yds.

6.8 Western Browning Ammunition
Browning Long Range Pro Hunter: 175 gr. Sierra® Tipped GameKing®
X-Bolt Pro Rifles: 1:7-1/2 twist rate
Estimated Retail: $38.99 per box
21 BROWNING X-BOLT RIFLES CHAMBERED FOR THE 6.8 WESTERN.

X-Bolt Mountain Pro Tungsten
X-Bolt Mountain Pro Long Range Tungsten
X-Bolt Mountain Pro Burnt Bronze
X-Bolt Mountain Pro Long Range Burnt Bronze
X-Bolt Pro McMillan
X-Bolt Pro McMillan Long Range
X-Bolt Hunter Long Range
X-Bolt Pro
X-Bolt Pro Long Range
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Max Long Range
X-Bolt Max Long Range Flat Dark Earth
X-Bolt Max Long Range
X-Bolt Western Hunter
X-Bolt Western Hunter Long Range
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Long Range McMillan
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon McMillan Left-Hand
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Long Range McMillan Left-Hand
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Speed
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Long Range
X-Bolt Stalker Long Range
X-Bolt Stalker Long Range Flat Dark Earth
SAAMI Document — Drawing of 6.8 Western cartridge with dimensions
Browning Logo
POPULAR LINKS
Promotions and Rebates
View a Browning catalog
Browning Ammunition
Browning International
WE SUPPORT
nra.org
nssf.org
dontlie.org
gunvote.org
CONTACT US
Browning
One Browning Place
Morgan UT 84050
800-333-3288 | 801-876-2711
logo
© 2021 Browning. All Rights Reserved.
Legal | Privacy Policy

email subscribe
email subscribe
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 11:15 AM

6.8 Western
"The Ultimate All-Around Long-Range Hunting Cartridge."
6.8 Western
Why choose the 6.8 Western? Put simply, the 6.8 Western is billed as offering "impressive long-range accuracy, low recoil and staggering knockdown power when you need it for both long-range shooting and hunting." That's a lot to promise from any caliber, but with bullets approaching 30 caliber weights of 165 gr and up with higher ballistic coefficients (BC) being offered, the 6.8 Western is engineered to deliver magnum performance with milder recoil.
The foundation of the 6.8 Western is a modified 270 Winchester Short Magnum case that is shortened to make room for the longer, heavier caliber bullets. With .277 caliber bullets historically in the 130-150 grain range, Winchester worked with Sierra® and Nosler® to develop heavier bullet offerings for the 6.8 Western (up to 175 gr.) that offer shooters increased penetration compared to existing .277 caliber and 6.5mm bullets.

Browning welcomes the Winchester® 6.8 Western cartridge to the X-Bolt rifle line. The cancellation of the 2021 SHOT Show certainly hasn't slowed the release of exciting new products for big game hunters and long-range shooting enthusiasts. Winchester® and Browning®, two storied outdoor brands, have successfully collaborated yet again and developed the new 6.8 Western cartridge and a wide selection of Browning X-Bolt rifles it will be chambered in.

21 new X-Bolt rifles, running the gamut from tricked-out models for hunting to feature-packed long-range models, are scheduled to be chambered in this exciting new cartridge. The X-Bolt is already widely regarded as an excellent shooter right from the box, and the addition of this flat-shooting new caliber gives rifle shooters a new opportunity to maximize downrange accuracy. The 6.8 Western is, "The Ultimate All-Around Long-Range Hunting Cartridge."

The 6.8 Western and the Browning X-Bolt. With a maximum cartridge length of only 2.995", the 6.8 Western falls into the short-action rifle realm. Short-action rifles offer the advantages of being faster cycling and lighter overall than their long-action counterparts. With comparable performance to many long-action magnums, there's little need to bring along the extra burden of a long-action magnum rifle.

In terms of weight and performance the Browning X-Bolt in particular benefits from a short-action magnum like the 6.8 Western. The X-Bolt features a trim receiver that is smaller and lighter than the competition. The accuracy of the X-Bolt has been lauded since it's introduction. Most of the credit can be attributed to the barrel that is precision button rifled and triple-checked for interior finish, straightness and air gauged for uniformity. The action of every X-Bolt is bedded into the stock to ensure the barrel is free floating.

How does the 6.8 Western stack up to the competition? Designed to provide magnum power and accuracy in a short-action, non-belted cartridge, the 6.8 Western is tailored for big game hunting and long-range shooting. When compared to popular magnums, the 6.8 Western is among the best. (See comparison chart below.)

Maximum cartridge overall length is 2.955" to utilize newly developed long, high BC bullets.
7-1/2" twist rate to stabilize modern long, heavy bullets such as those in the new Long Range Pro Hunter ammunition from Browning*.
Heavier bullet weights than 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 270 WSM
More energy than 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 7mm Rem Mag
Less recoil than 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag and 300 PRC
Long, heavy bullets ideal for big game hunting and long-range precision shooting
Chambered in short-action rifles for fast cycling, high accuracy and reduced rifle weight
Refer to the Browning Ammunition website for current specifications.
* At the time of introduction, Browning X-Bolt barrels will feature a 1 in 7-1/2" twist. Check the twist rate inscription on every rifle you purchase to confirm it has the rate best for what you intend to shoot.

The 6.8 Western cartridge is specifically designed to handle long, high BC bullets.

How Does it Stack Up to Other Big Game Cartridges?
6.8 Western Comparison Chart
18% more energy than 7mm Rem Mag 160 gr. Accubond@ 500 yds with similar recoil.
Similar energy as 300 WSM 180 gr. Accubond at 500 yds. with 14% less recoil.
6% more energy than 300 Win Mag 180 gr. Accubond at 500 yds with 16% less recoil.
Short-action reduces rifle weight 5 oz. compared to 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.
Similar trajectory as all three listed options at 500 yds.

Browning Long Range Pro Hunter: 175 gr. Sierra® Tipped GameKing®
X-Bolt Pro Rifles: 1:7-1/2 twist rate
Estimated Retail: $38.99 per box
21 BROWNING X-BOLT RIFLES CHAMBERED FOR THE 6.8 WESTERN.

X-Bolt Mountain Pro Tungsten
X-Bolt Mountain Pro Long Range Tungsten
X-Bolt Mountain Pro Burnt Bronze
X-Bolt Mountain Pro Long Range Burnt Bronze
X-Bolt Pro McMillan
X-Bolt Pro McMillan Long Range
X-Bolt Hunter Long Range
X-Bolt Pro
X-Bolt Pro Long Range
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Max Long Range
X-Bolt Max Long Range Flat Dark Earth
X-Bolt Max Long Range
X-Bolt Western Hunter
X-Bolt Western Hunter Long Range
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Long Range McMillan
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon McMillan Left-Hand
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Long Range McMillan Left-Hand
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Speed
X-Bolt (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s Canyon Long Range
X-Bolt Stalker Long Range
X-Bolt Stalker Long Range Flat Dark Earth
SAAMI Document — Drawing of 6.8 Western cartridge with dimensions
Browning Logo
POPULAR LINKS
Promotions and Rebates
View a Browning catalog
Browning Ammunition
Browning International
WE SUPPORT
nra.org
nssf.org
dontlie.org
gunvote.org
CONTACT US
Browning
One Browning Place
Morgan UT 84050
800-333-3288 | 801-876-2711
logo
© 2021 Browning. All Rights Reserved.
Legal | Privacy Policy

email subscribe
email subscribe

If it were me, I would just rebarrel to a fast twist 270. That would give me one more in the mag. , slicker feeding and easier to find brass. But then again I'm a good enough hunter to get within 2-300 yards of a critter so I don't need a super long range gun.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 12:37 PM

Lol and I am a good enough shot where I don't need one more in the magazine. I don't need a super long range gun either but alot of the ballistics appeal to me like no other new caliber has before.Hitting power above a 7mm mag without the recoil is eye opening.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:08 PM

Petersen's Hunting

SHOT Show
Field Test: 6.8 Western Rifle Cartridge
Hunting with Winchester and Browning's new big-game cartridge.
January 28, 2021
By David Draper
Does the world really need another new and different chambering when there are already too many options on the market? After carrying the new 6.8 Western from Browning and Winchester in the field, and spending some all-too-brief time on the range with it, the answer is yes. The 6.8 Western, a combined effort between two leading gun and ammunition manufacturers, gives hunters who hunt big game in big country, a one-gun solution for hunting nearly all North American game animals. And, long-range shooters will also find something to like in the .277-caliber chambering.

Let me start this off by telling you a little something about myself. I’m what people like to call a “late-adopter.” Rather than jump on the latest trends, I sit back and watch everyone else rack out the problems before I tip-toe into the shallow end of the pool. To give you an example: about the time everyone else was hyping the 6.5 Creedmoor as the next, best thing, I was still reaching for my trusty .25-06. I’ve since taken the 6.5 Creedmoor afield a few times and agree, it’s a great cartridge. But, it’s not a do-all round, as some marketers would have you believe.

So, when I got word Winchester and Browning were introducing a new cartridge, my eyes may have rolled a bit. But as I listened to the presentation, and started thinking what the 6.8 Western offers, my resolve, jaded by 20+ years in the hunting industry, may have cracked just a bit.

The 6.8 Western
If you’ve been paying attention to recent trends in ammunition development, you know that manufacturers and wildcatters are fond of stuffing long, heavy-for-caliber bullets into fat cases. Hornady’s 6.5 and .300 PRC are great examples of this, which is why both chamberings have gained loyal followings, particularly in the long-range shooting community. But there was still a hole in the market falling smack dab between the two, one that the 6.8 Western fills.

Browning-Range.png
The 6.8 Western features a .277-caliber bullet loaded into a case that’s been optimized to fit longer, heavier bullets. Consider it a .270 on steroids, or more accurately, an improved version of the .270 Winchester Short Magnum, which never gained enough traction to make it mainstream. Currently, it’s available in three loads – Browning Long Range Pro Hunter with a 175-grain Sierra Game King bullet, and two Winchester offerings: Expedition Big Game Long Range tipped with 165-grain Accubond LR and 170-grain Ballistic Silvertip.

During the development process, the engineers pushed the shoulder back on the .270 WSM case to accommodate those long, heavy bullets. This does result in a bit less powder capacity, which tames recoil without sacrificing downrange energy too much. The marketing materials claim the 6.8 Western delivers less felt recoil than the .300 Win. Mag, .300 PRC and .300 WSM.

All this comes in a short-action package. While short-actions are generally touted for their ability to cycle the bolt faster, the real benefit in my eyes is overall reduction in rifle weight. Reduce weight in the action allows rifle makers to screw on heavier barrels, creating a mountain-worthy rifle that is still light enough for a comfortable carry, yet not whippy or shaky.

Photo Gallery
See all Photos
Browning-Range.png
Draper-Nebraska-Mule-Deer.png
And speaking of barrels, bullets with higher ballistic coefficients typically require a higher rate of twist to stabilize the longer bullet design. To accommodate the 6.8 Western, Browning opted for a 1-in-7.5 twist in their X-Bolt offerings, while Winchester went with a 1-in-8 twist in the XPR line of rifles.

In the Field
As much as I would have liked the opportunity to really wring-out the 6.8 Western, my time with the cartridge has been a bit short-lived. Ammo shortages and a limited run of pre-production rifles meant I only had a few rounds to send downrange before taking the rifle hunting. The rifle in question was Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter – a gun I’ve since come to covet and have already added to my 2021 Christmas list. The X-Bolt was topped with Leupold VX-6HD 3-18 that had been fitted with a custom CDS dial, which in my experience turns a well-shot bullet into something akin to a guided laser. In other words, it’s hard to miss.

My ammo of choice was Browning’s Long Range Pro offering, which is advertised to deliver a muzzle velocity of 2,835. That’s fast, but not blisteringly so. Unlike some of the magnum 6.5s, don’t expect the 6.8 Western to burn out your barrel anytime soon. That speedy, yet tame muzzle velocity also contributes to the manageable recoil, while somehow maintaining enough downrange energy to effectively take down all but the most dangerous of North American big-game animals.

Draper-Nebraska-Mule-Deer.png
My first shots with the 6.8 Western were at steel plates ranging from 100 to 500 yards. After confirming zero, I worked my way out at 100-yard intervals, turning the Leupold’s CDS dial to the desired range and pulling the X-Bolt’s trigger. Each shot was rewarded with a satisfying ping and, in the case of the longer ranges, a sight picture of the steel swinging. The recoil, while noticeable, was manageable enough that I was able to get back on the scope quicker. Shooting prone, off both bags and my pack, the recoil was akin to a .30-06 or 7mm mag. It might bump you off the scope a bit, but not so much that it makes follow-up target acquisition difficult.

After shooting through a box of ammo on the range it was time to see what the 6.8 Western could do to a big, Nebraska mule deer. It took a while to find a buck worthy of the 6.8 Western, but finally on the second day of the hunt, right at last light, we caught a mature buck lured out of thick cover by a hot doe. I was able to get prone on my pack, and when my guide, Ryan Livingston of Prairie Rock Outfitters, called out the range of 356 yards, I dialed the Leupold in, took a deep breath and gradually pulled until the trigger broke.

While I didn’t get back on the scope quick enough to see the impact, I did catch the buck in the middle of a hard kick that signified a good hit. He bolted over a ridge, eliminating any chance of a follow-up. Turns out it wasn’t needed as the deer didn’t run 50 yards, dumping blood the whole way. We found him piled up in a yucca, shot through the heart and lungs.

Can you kill a big-bodied mule deer with a smaller caliber? Sure. I’ve done it, even taking a nice Wyoming buck last season with a 107-grain ELD-X shot out of a 6mm Creedmoor. But, I am of the opinion that bigger is always better, up to a point. For most western hunting, I’ve long thought the .300 Win. Mag. is the ultimate big-game cartridge, capable of killing most animals I find myself hunting. In many rifles, the recoil is tolerable, but not exactly pleasant. And definitely a hard kicker in many of the lighter rifles being made today.

Now that I’ve had a chance to hunt with the 6.8 Western, I’ve jumped on the bandwagon, as much as I hate to admit it. There’s nothing about the cartridge I don’t like, with the exception of maybe the Sierra GameKing loading, which hasn’t ever been my favorite bullet. Still, with the option of the Accubond in a Winchester loaded cartridge, and a bright future that will likely increase the available bullet options, I’m comfortable saying the 6.8 Western from Winchester and Browning might be the ultimate cartridge for hunting deer, elk, moose, black bears and other big-game animals anywhere west Daylight Deer Movement During the Rut
If you're spending time in the outdoors where you might encounter bears, carry one of these guns.Which Firearm Is Best for Bear Defense?
Survival
Which Firearm Is Best for Bear Defense?
Posted By: charles

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:53 PM

I have found that I don’t need magnums for whitetail. I have many calibers in the 6.8 neighborhood already. I will be 75 this deer season and have undergone four rotator cuff surgeries. I now mostly use my 7-08 for the 5-6:deer I rake each year All but one last,season were head or neck shots. Don’t like tracking and dragging anymore.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by charles
I have found that I don’t need magnums for whitetail.

Neither do I.Is one of the reasons the 6.8 western appeals to me.Hard hitting with less recoil.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 02:05 PM

Thats one clean Shop^^^
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 02:57 PM

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 05:21 PM

Nice.Can't wait to get my hands on mine.

Re: Ordered 6.8 western today - 02/28/21 09:10 PM

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums