Home

Been thinking about the future of my life.

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 07:42 PM

I’m going to be a junior next year so gotta decide if I want to go to trade school or stay in HS. Im planning on starting my own greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future and maybe a custom greenhouse business to fit people’s wants because I feel like that would be a money maker in the future with greenhouses being the farming of the future and more people growing stuff themselves with not much space, add that with people focusing on appearance and aesthetic, a custom greenhouse would be something they would buy. Beyond that I thought about going to West Point (or trying to) as I have received e-mails from them based off a test a took freshman year. Although I don’t know if the military would be my thing. A third opinion is do be a game warden. So the last 2 are pretty simple but I don’t know about the first one, would college help me in this? Maybe botany or horticulture? What trade? Or should I just get a job right out and start making capital to start this business. I’m just asking for a little advice on how I should go about making a career for myself. I know I would be happy and have peace of mind with all the jobs though and that’s important to me. No matter what I do, I’m gonna end up in cabin out in the trees with a family. Any advice would be appreciated, or thoughts on my ideas.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 07:51 PM

Pursue the things you are passionate about.
Don't fret over and be anxious about the future. You sound like a rational, intelligent guy, things will work out, trust me.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 07:56 PM

Good to hear from a young man weighing his options and interests. No one but you can choose. Wish our country had more high schoolers like you.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
I’m going to be a junior next year so gotta decide if I want to go to trade school or stay in HS. Im planning on starting my own greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future and maybe a custom greenhouse business to fit people’s wants because I feel like that would be a money maker in the future with greenhouses being the farming of the future and more people growing stuff themselves with not much space, add that with people focusing on appearance and aesthetic, a custom greenhouse would be something they would buy. Beyond that I thought about going to West Point (or trying to) as I have received e-mails from them based off a test a took freshman year. Although I don’t know if the military would be my thing. A third opinion is do be a game warden. So the last 2 are pretty simple but I don’t know about the first one, would college help me in this? Maybe botany or horticulture? What trade? Or should I just get a job right out and start making capital to start this business. I’m just asking for a little advice on how I should go about making a career for myself. I know I would be happy and have peace of mind with all the jobs though and that’s important to me. No matter what I do, I’m gonna end up in cabin out in the trees with a family. Any advice would be appreciated, or thoughts on my ideas.

It appears you're possible career endeavours are scattered all over the place. Kinda like saying when you reach a fork in the road, take it. If your final goal is to be (in bold) this end, then apply yourself to what will allow you to achieve that. Finish your education first. Trade schools are good. Learn to work with your hands and mind both. There's a lot of jobless people out there with Phd's. Think about spending some time in the military . . . and not necessarily an Academy. Just my .02 . . . "Plan your work, work your plan".
Posted By: EdP

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:07 PM

That is quite a wide range of options you laid out. That's not really unusual or bad at your age and it's good that you are considering your options now. Personally, I don't see much future in a custom greenhouse business. The market is just too small for something that specialized. Hydroponics has not worked out so well for some folks I know that gave it a try. Big ag is where the money is, small local growers cannot compete.

Although I did not serve in the military, a chance to get an appointment to West Point and an officer's career sounds like a chance that should not be squandered. If your test scores are such that West Point is interested, another very cost effective option is to go to a local community college for 2 years then finish at a 4 year university. Look at state schools in the southern states. They are just as good but far less expensive than northern state universities. If you go the college route, the essential element is to do it in a curriculum that will ensure good employment. Otherwise you have wasted a lot of time and money.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:07 PM

Some real good things from Wag and Danny so far and I hope you get a bunch more. Imo, 90% of Juniors and probably 80% of Seniors have no clue about their future and will either follow in the parents footsteps or wing it because it's a hard thing to ponder on. Good on you for posting this because you have a leg up on most. My advice, ponder hard on what gives you the most happiness when you think about it, and then go for it, grab it by the horns and go.

In today's times a College education is forced on youngins and it does pan out for some, but not so much for a lot of others. So, you have time. Dig deep, choose your path and go for it with all you have. Good luck kid!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:09 PM

Get settled first then get married.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:17 PM

First thing to do is move to a free area of the country, preferably rural and then do the things you need to do.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:45 PM

Do NOT get forced or persuaded into a 4 year school unless thats what will help achieve your goals. So many, myself included, were told thats what youre supposed to do, even if you were undecided about a career or path. Unless it is needed it is a giant waste of money. Sounds like you may have this figured out already. Id steer clear of the game warden spot as well, and law enforcement in general.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:49 PM

And while you are young don't forget to take the time for beer and wild women. grin
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 08:56 PM

I suggest to get your education first. Many, if not all, worthwhile companies will not even consider you for employment if you don't have at least a high school diploma and many want an AA degree or better.

For employment, find a field that you like and would enjoy working in. In all probability your priority will change as you get older and its best to be prepared for that change of directions with a good education. You are not too young to plan for your retirement and the best way to do that is to go to work with a large company now that has benefits, medical insurance, paid vacations & holidays, retirement plans, 401K, etc. Over your working career that may span 30 or 40 years, you can/will amass a sizable retirement and could even retire earlier than most because you started young. Working for whatever jobs you can find, doing construction/contracting work, etc usually don't have good benefit and insurance plans. Working for a big company, utility company, etc. will have the best benefit plans that will help you and your future family. Start out on the ground floor and work your way up within the company.

If possible, avoid marriage and/or pregnancy until later in life. That and debt and monthly payments can be a real ball and chain to a young man just starting out.

Good luck. Dave
Posted By: Rock Creek 1

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:01 PM

I have one the same age as you with the same question about his future. He has decided on Tech school for a start he learns with hands on better than by books, and if he decides to go to college can pay for it with his tech degree. Maybe?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:21 PM

Ohio State University has agricultural majors available that can help you own a greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future or a custom greenhouse business. I recommend getting a minor in marketing too. Working or volunteering at an aquaponics greenhouse can help you determine if that's what you want to do and greatly shorten your learning curve. It's better to get your knowledge from someone else who is experienced and then build on it, rather than start out with just research. It saves a lot of money and time.

Keith
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Pursure the things you are passionate about.
Don't fret over and be anxious about the future. You sound like a rational, intelligent guy, things will work out, trust me.

That's not what Mike Rowe says.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:34 PM

Marry a smart girl with rich parents. Love is overrated. Go for the money. LOL.
Posted By: WIFrost

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:41 PM

Advice I was given as a kid was go to a tech and learn a trade..... any trade.

I’ve seen it in the last decade in the welding trade, if you’re willing to show up for work and advance your skills, you’ll have work at a very livable wage. If you chose to take a different path for a while you will always have that trade skill to fall back on.

Electrical, plumbing, welding, machining, construction..... etc
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:46 PM

talk to (and LISTEN to!) people who are already doing those things (or the closest to it).

for instance, game warden. although I am not one, I have some understanding of the profession. for the most part, those positions are so competitive that even though a degree may not be "required", you'll never get past everyone who HAS a degree in LE or wildlife management without it.

Talk to those who are DOING the job, and get their input.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 09:59 PM

FINISH HIGH SCHOOL!! 2 years you may have a whole different outlook on life FINISH! As far as the rest of it talk to people in private business for what your wanting I doubt a degree would help you much and would cost a bundle. Go to work for someone in the greenhouse business read up on it and learn what you can. Ask people with any successful business what it takes to make things work. Find out the good and bad points of owning your own business. As far as West Point talk to people who have done a military career or other vets and find out the good, bad and ugly. I would not depend on the advice from recruiters get as much info as you can on it. Some good advice is figure out what you enjoy in life that you can make a living at. Game Warden in most cases BS or MS better for starters then working for years part time. Not great pay in most cases and long hours but a lot of outdoor work but a lot of paper work also. Your ahead of most folks your age, your thinking about it and not just blowing in the wind you will do well.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
g don't forget to take the time for beer and wild women. grin
m

Great way to blow enough money to start ya biz and buy a house.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:20 PM

So many h.s offer college transfer classes now, my advice is to take all that you can handle. My daughter was charter schooled from jr high on (she went to public for sports and music). The point being both the charter school and the public school offered "college credit" options - she basically graduated from h.s. just a couple of terms short of an transfer degree -- and will be graduating this year in engineering at O.S.U. Take all the college transfer courses you can squeeze in because if you do decide to go to college anything you can transfer saves you $. most of what my daughter took was math and english -- mostly required for a degree in anything. Do not be afraid to pursue your dream ---- You can always got to work for someone else if the need arises or you decide that your chosen profession isn't what you thought. In any job you are working at take advantage of any training or education that they offer -- knowledge is power. They can't take away your knowledge when you leave.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
talk to (and LISTEN to!) people who are already doing those things (or the closest to it).

for instance, game warden. although I am not one, I have some understanding of the profession. for the most part, those positions are so competitive that even though a degree may not be "required", you'll never get past everyone who HAS a degree in LE or wildlife management without it.

Talk to those who are DOING the job, and get their input.

Good advice. GW must have 4 if not 6 yr degrees.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
FINISH HIGH SCHOOL!! 2 years you may have a whole different outlook on life FINISH!

Very good advice.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:27 PM

Regardless of what career/college/no college you pursue, start investing the second you get a job. Even if its just a small amount, put it in an ira or something similar-lot of guys on here a lot smarter than me about that-but kee adding to it. In 20 years youll be shocked what it could be worth.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:33 PM

I am almost 60 years old now, I am on career # 5 spending more than a decade or so in a couple. Each career change sort of was complimented by experience gained in each previous career choice. Learn to work your hands and take care of yourself and needs, that alone can save you thousands and thousands of dollars in your life. Like others have said learn all you can, about everything that interests you and some things that don't interest you just yet. "Old sayings" become old sayings when they are true. So here is one,
"Knowledge is Power" Also don't be shocked or unhappy when the career of your dream's loses it's shine a few years or months in. You will do well with your attitude and drive. Best wishes to you.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:38 PM

Finish high school, learn as much as you can. Take full advantage of what you can even if your classmates goof off. It's your career not theirs.

If you want to run a business, any business; get a degree. The Bachelor's of business administration is the standard degree and gives you good foundation for operations management. Your goal isn't to do the hand and foot work, your goal should be to be the brains of the organization, the strategic vision of what you want accomplished. You hire the talent and lead them in the core goals you set. You don't see the ceo, coo, or cfo on the floor packing boxes or greeting customers do you? Of course this is fortune 500 companies but a small mom and pop business where you wear many hats and you may just be the one greeting customers but first and foremost should have a business mindset not the worker bee mindset.

I HIGHLY suggest a degree but if you still don't want the degree then pick trade WITH a GOOD MENTOR... A good mentor. Start from the bottom up..

In the meantime, get a job for experience in all areas and work under someone to learn the trade/business from the ground up as you finish your degree. Learn how each segment operates and what is required.

Then finally... An MBA down the road will also catapult your career, don't let anyone else say otherwise. A business's bottom line is profit. Get a good handle on finances. A business doesn't survive by just being nice.

Then you can pick and choose where you want that little dream cabin on the lake with your family with the income to give you a good life without sweating away working overtime to make ends meet.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:38 PM

How many people go to collage or trade schools and then go do something else, find your passion and you never really work a day in your life. Get your diploma some will judge you if you don’t “those” being employers, until your committed to one direction that big of a move could be a big mistake. Don’t rush it your young still.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:42 PM

Also if you find a niche/need that you do not see being met, that's a good place to start too. Enjoy the journey.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:44 PM

I’m going to give you the same advice I gave my boys, but I didn’t receive.
Pick something you look forward to waking up for every morning. Don’t worry about money. I know some will say that’s not good advice, but trust me, if you are doing something you absolutely love doing then you’ll learn to live with the money you do make.
I’ll use Brennan as an example. He graduated and went to college. He was working part time at a plantation and got an opportunity at a larger plantation full time. We talked and all I told him is do what makes you happy. Well he dropped out of college and started working for this particular plantation. Decent money, a house to live in, and plenty of perks of the job, lol. He looks forward to getting up every morning and going to work. A lot has to do with work environment and the fact they’re all treated like family, but still he enjoys his job. A 9-5 factory, desk, or even repair type work is just not who he is.
He’s now 24 or about to be, got married, he and his wife bought their own house (across the street from us) and are expecting a baby. He still loves his job and has moved up in ranks with even more perks, lol. His plantation offers insurance and a 401K. The only thing he doesn’t enjoy is a week in July when they split enough wood for the next quail season, lol.
Whatever you decide make it something you WANT to do. I didn’t sit around as a kid thinking I want to work for the local telephone company when I get older even though I make pretty decent money. My son has my dream job, always in the outdoors with plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities. Thankfully he shares some of those perks with his dad.

I will say this also. If you have the opportunity at West Point, then I’d jump all over that. The military will give you opportunities you might have never even thought of.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
How many people go to collage or trade schools and then go do something else, find your passion and you never really work a day in your life. Get your diploma some will judge you if you don’t “those” being employers, until your committed to one direction that big of a move could be a big mistake. Don’t rush it your young still.

Totally, at very minimum get the high school finished. If you look at job requirements 99 percent will at least say high school diploma required.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:47 PM

I always told the kids at the youth academy no matter what you do be the best at it, if your shoveling crap then be the best crap shoveler they have and you always be needed then or the last to go!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:49 PM

At the very least graduate high school. I know in NM g&f officers need to have a degree in biology forestry or similar field.
You can work in trades during school breaks or weekends. Some companies might let you clean up after school.
Green house building would be a good side gig.
I know hs now offers college courses take as many as you can.
Posted By: corky

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:54 PM

Finish High School. Game warden now is at least a 4 year degree in most places. Military is experience, education and college mostly paid for or learn a trade on Uncle Sam's dime. Starting a business usually requires money, either make some in a trade or the military. Getting a start up loan will be tough with only a HS diploma and no formal experience. You seem to be level headed and mature for your age. Good luck.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 10:55 PM

Make a list. Narrow it down:

What do you like?

Out of the things you like... What are you good at?

Out of the things you like and are good at... Will it make you a good living?

If it will provide a good living... What will it take to get started?

And if you change your mind later you CAN do something else... Starting over and changing careers is a big hassle when you have the responsibilities of family and bills... But it's still doable.

Mike
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/21/21 11:02 PM

A lot of High Schools offer capstone programs where students can train and work at companies as part of their course work and also learn skills and also if you like or don't like those industries. Don't leave HS prior to graduation for trades. With average male life expectancy for our age group being 90 by the time you reach that age you have time. Also with a HS degree or trade or two year degree many firms will assist in the cost of getting a Ba or BS degree or pay for it all. Firms invest in the staff they want to train and keep. Running a green house for produce can be a full time business or a side business while working in other areas. Also remember that selling local grown food needs a market and that may mean living closer to population centers than some might suggest also that is where many of the new jobs will be as well.

Bryce
Posted By: Bob

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 12:18 AM

Finish high school. After that if you still aren’t sure what direction to take, get a job in one of the fields you are interested in and start taking the prerequisites from community college.

You’re a junior. You’re not running out of time. In fact you have all the time in the world. Don’t do something foolish like quitting high school. All that does is severely limit your future options. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that whatever path you choose right now is going to be the only path you have for the rest of your life. Keep your options open. Two books I recommend you read, debt free degree by Anthony O’Neil and the proximity principal by ken Coleman. Both will help you choose a path and go about setting yourself up for success
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 12:18 AM

There are many paths to success. College is one of those if you're going to college to learn a trade. What I mean is: consider college a trade school. If you decide to pursue college, make sure you are learning how to do a job. Study to be an engineer, pharmacist, nurse, CPA, teacher, whatever. Don't go to get a degree. Lots of graduates with degrees who didn't study for a particular career.

About hydroponics. It won't ever replace regular farming. Land is too cheap for greenhouses to be able to compete. There are niche markets for hydroponics. If you decide to go to college for agriculture or agribusiness, choose classes that teach you the trade you want to be in within agriculture.

And, I see no reason to wait to start a hydroponics business. My best friend from high school built a 12x30 hoop house while in high school. He put two layers of plastic on it and set up a small squirrel cage fan to blow air between the two layers to keep them separated to create an insulating air space. Installed a residential water heater to keep the hydroponic solution warm, and built his own hydroponic setup from PVC pipe. He grew lettuce because it's a cold weather crop and he could grow it in a greenhouse in the winter with minimal heat. He would pack up boxes of lettuce and stop to show his product to restaurants in the area. Many bought a couple of boxes out of the trunk of his car on his first visit. After a few weeks, he had more demand than he could keep up with.

This was back when there were no cell phones and only drug dealers and doctors were using pagers. He had one to keep up with his lettuce orders. He got called to the main office in high school because he was getting pages during the day and they figured he was selling drugs. Nope, just lettuce.

He went on to have some pretty big successes in business. Marketing manager and eventually CEO of some companies we've all heard of.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 12:21 AM

2 years college time or a trade school degree or 4 years military service with honorable discharge.

This is for Georgia DNR Law Enforcement.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I always told the kids at the youth academy no matter what you do be the best at it, if your shoveling crap then be the best crap shoveler they have and you always be needed then or the last to go!

This is kinda what Mike Rowe says too. He also says don't follow your passion, but do what you're really good at instead. Do that and do it your best. You will find success.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 12:33 AM

I did time in the navy working in steam generation got an incredible education in thermal dynamics and working with my hands on technical machinery and everything that goes with it took a commission as a warrant hated it got out started my own business as an hvac contractor 8 years later joined the army to serve in Iraq with my son in the infrantry retired still have my gi Bill now what I wish I had done. College isn’t all it is cracked up to be unless it’s a degree that has good job opportunities. I have a high school diploma. The only thing I would change is to learn and do refrigeration, pay is awesome and it is and for the foreseeable future will be in high demand. Let’s look at your list. Custom green houses good money but you aren’t established enough to get the start up money and accounts you will need to run a business. Starting a business with a heavy debt load can lead to disaster. Aqua ponics is a niche market again start up. Ag can be an awesome future and life and if you want your own business then I would go to college and get an ag/ business degree and do ag consulting. Now West Point. Great education definitely won’t be exposed to liberals for professors and will study real history and mathematics along with traditional studies. When you graduate you will be an Army officer. You will manage troops manage budgets have invoke punishment and be responsible for tactics and your troops being able to shoot, move and communicate. There are other fields available but you will still have personnel under you. Conversely you will be responsible for those above you. It will also be a lengthily process. It will give you above average leadership skills you should be able to put up some money and study and prepare for your life after you let uncle sugar get you off to a good start not to mention self discipline. There is also green energy as well as conventional energy. You have your whole life ahead of you don’t mess it up with women children or debit early in your adventure. You are already WAY ahead of most and I for one have all the confidence in the world that you are destined for great things. My grandpa told me something at a very young age that I will pass on to you. With the exception of the military no job is holding a gun to your head to stay there, it is always easier to find work when you have work, be happy with what you do. Leave this world better than you found it, always try to give more than you take, and finally a man does what he has to do sometimes to take care of his responsibilities instead of what he wants to do but never loose sight of what you want to do.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 12:37 AM

I’ll add something else. My son graduated with a young man who decided he wasn’t going to have a boss. He thumbed through the phone book as a Junior in high school and found the least amount of advertising for any business.
He chose pressure washing. Started out with a little portable machine in the back of his truck. Today at 23 or 24 he has a 2 year business degree (Mom and older brothers threatened his life if he didn’t get it, lol) he runs 3 different trailers, offers hot water washing (which no one else had at the time) has three flatbeds to pull those trailers, and has more work than he can keep up with. He makes mid 6 figures a year and will probably retire in his 30’s and start something else if he wants or play until he’s too old to do so. This kid just looked in a phone book...

Got another buddy that was tired of his “job” that he was successful at and decided that he’d start a roofing business after paying a roofer to put a roof on a couple of his rental houses. He even asked the roofer to hire him and then bought the company when the owner retired. Said it’s the best move he made.

If your wanting money, there are jobs or businesses you can start to make some serious money if you put in the work. You are young...the sky is the limit. But choose something you’ll enjoy doing.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 01:40 AM

I’d give joining the military serious consideration. Having Veteran status can open doors to opportunities when you get out.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 01:54 AM

This has been covered but I vote you finish high school. After that, I recommend college if you want to pursue a degree/graduate degree that makes financial sense.

Otherwise, some of the wealthiest guys I know learned a trade and worked their tails off to build some really nice businesses. The military is a good option too. One of my sons will likely head to an Academy but I think enlisted men/women can earn a great start in life with their service.

Good luck and I too applaud you for thinking about these important decisions.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 02:36 AM

The highest paid careers are the ones with the most difficult barriers to entry. Obviously jobs like doctor and lawyer are a lot of work to get into and pay well. But licensed trades do too. Finding a 5 year apprenticeship for electrician or plumber can be difficult and being licensed in those trades is lucrative. State laws vary but some places require the same types of apprenticeship programs for other trades too: HVAC, locksmith, etc.

The easier it is to get into a job, the less it pays.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Originally Posted by waggler
Pursure the things you are passionate about.

That's not what Mike Rowe says.

I like a lot of what Mike Rowe has to say, however, I'm not Mike Rowe.
If you can make a living pursuing what you are passionate about, you won't "work" a day in your life.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 03:19 AM

Well you got a lot of advice on the forum look it over and keep getting informed. The common denominator on replies to your post FINISH HIGH SCHOOL if you cant do two more years at your age don't even think about the military.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 03:26 AM

Education is something that never can be taken away. West Point is a good career path if its fits in your plans to make it useful in the future. If you are looking for employment it certainly looks good on a resume.
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 02:31 PM

Here's a few thoughts in no particular order...

Military- while admirable, I wouldn't want my son to join the military. You work for the commander in chief, and now a days as politicians get crazier you might be forced to take a position or act on something you don't believe in.

Trades- I was in a labor union for 14 years, fed my family. Have a retirement coming(if they don't screw it up) Nothing wrong with this route if you want to go this way.

College- Everyone pays for an education whether it is called college and you pay tuition for it or not. Some educations are good and others are bad. You want a good education. For example, say you decide to go after the greenhouse business. You find someone that will hire you on building greenhouses but only for $15/hr, but the trade job will pay $25/hr. But after one year you will be qualified to build greenhouses. Count that $10/hr difference x 2000 hours= $20k tuition.

College #2- Some jobs are going to require college. I am told around here(Indiana) you need a college tuition to become a game warden. Vincennes University here in Indiana has a Conservation Law Enforcement Associates degree. It might be worth checking out if you decide to pursue that route.

Start a greenhouse business(or other)- Starting a business would be difficult and might result in great failure or great success. I am 39 and started my business 8 years ago. I make mistakes all the time. I wish I had started my business when I was 18 and made those mistakes long ago and had the benefit of operating my business having learned from said mistakes long ago. So my advice is if you really want to do this do it young. Apprentice for a couple of years and start.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: IdahoCoyotes

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 03:19 PM

I am also going to be a junior next year and I have been thinking about my future a lot. First off, finish high school! In my personal opinion and counsel from my parents, I am more focused on the life style I want to be able to live and enjoy before choosing an actual career I want to pursue. That being said, you can do almost anything you want to and make a killing. I met a plumber while I was fishing in Alaska once. When I asked him about his career choice as a plumber, he said that he did not regret his decisions but also that he had to work very hard. Several others asked him how many employee's he had and he responded by saying he had one employ and pointed to his buddy who was also fishing with him. Knowing that he had more than one employee they proceeded to ask the other guy how many employees he had. His response was something like 84 employees. This man was a very successful business owner and he worked very hard doing something he was good at and in the process he was able to build a very successful business. My point to this long story is that first decide the lifestyle you want to live and what you are willing to sacrifice to get there. Another thing that some people say is that it takes money to make money, but that is not completely true. While having access to money to start with helps it is not needed. I also knew several people whose grandparents immigrated to the US from India with next to nothing and through hard work they were able to create multi-million dollar businesses. I have also heard of people coming from multi-million dollar families who refused to work and they made some stupid decisions and lost all of their money and ended up either in prison or homeless. I know this is a long post and it may be confusing. PM me if you have any more questions and I have a few more things I can share as well as what my plans are after high school.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/22/21 04:52 PM

Figure out a way to make money doing the things you like to do. If you work hard the money will take care of itself. Finish high school no exceptions. I wouldn't waste my money on college these days what a racket. If you want to do a trade go to trade school.

Forget the saying that if you do what you love you won't work a day in your life. It's a lie. No matter what you choose, some days will be tough, sometimes even weeks or months, that's the nature of making a living. I have spent 40 years doing the things I love and I wouldn't change a thing, there are days when it's amazing that I get paid to hunt, fish and trap and there are other days when I have to grind it out.

Life will throw you curveballs and unless you just get a job and settle in to it, you'll be a very different place 40 years from now than you can imagine. Take my word for it, you can't predict the future.
Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 12:43 AM

Thankyou for all the advice and I’ve retained much of it, and will use it. I think many of you guys are confused or just plain didn’t know about the trade degree thing I was talking about. At my school we have a trade school near by called Apollo, anyways you go there like a regular school but you do the classes you need to graduate high school while at the same time you take classes on learning a trade, so when you come out of Apollo you have a high school diploma and a trade degree. Anyways right now im thinking that what I might do is get a degree or learn a trade and make capital on that to start a business, and then I always have a job to fall back on, or something like that. If the job I get with the degree or trade is good I’ll just stay there. And right away I’m going to start investing once I get a job.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 02:08 AM

College may or not make sense and be a good investment. It 100% depends on your field.

I am glad I went and make much more than I would have with no degree. I did trades type work while in college and learned quick that the customers with the nice house and money all were college grads....meanwhile my then co workers lived paycheck to paycheck.

I stayed in school and worked hard. Bachelors then a masters degree (paid for by my employer).
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Ohio State University has agricultural majors available that can help you own a greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future or a custom greenhouse business. I recommend getting a minor in marketing too. Working or volunteering at an aquaponics greenhouse can help you determine if that's what you want to do and greatly shorten your learning curve. It's better to get your knowledge from someone else who is experienced and then build on it, rather than start out with just research. It saves a lot of money and time.

Keith

Excellent advice.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 02:28 AM

School really wasn't for me, the thought of doing any additional school after High school was something I couldn't stomach.

I worked a few different jobs, a lot of hours. I really found my place when I started my own business, I should have started it sooner. If you decide to start a business and would like some advice/someone to talk to feel free to PM me, I'm not expert but I've survived the school of hard knocks so far.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 03:13 AM

I read your opening post and have purposely avoided reading any of the replies. Having flunked out of the 5th grade and never attending high school. I got 95% of my education as an adult. It wasn't easy. I barely passed entrance exam and got into military service. I studied when I could and pasted a GED high school test while in service. After service I took a couple of correspondences courses before going to college. I made better college grades than recent high school graduates did simply because I had a purpose. I went on to become an accountant and budgeting manager for a 4,500 employee manufacturing plant. I am telling you this to emphasize what can be done when determination exists.

My suggestion (not advice) is to finish high school paying particular attention to math. A job with work somehow related related to your future business and supplemented by trade school if possible could give you a head start before starting your own business. I have seen businesses succeed and fail. Many business failures result from over expansion after early successes. Confidence is necessary but overconfidence can be a killer.

As for college, people get paid more because they have a degree. If you will be your own boss college would mostly just help you develop logic skills. Military is not for everyone. Do what you want to do or you probably will spend many years wishing you had.

My 2 cents worth. I'm sure others have given you good pointers. Good luck.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 03:58 AM

Marry a smart girl with rich parents. Love is overrated. Go for the money. LOL.

That may be true. I wouldn't know. I have also heard that when you marry for money you earn every penny.

I do know that many a person's career plans have been ruined by unintentionally starting a family.
Posted By: Flint Lock

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 04:17 AM

Game warden is a great job but in most states barely make a livable wage. College might not be required in every states but definitely helps. In this day and age unless you don't have to pay for your own college or get some kind of grant or scholarship or debt forgiveness from the state where you would become a game warden, I can't imagine being able to manage student loan debt on a game warden salary. In PA, they barely make enough to cover living expenses.

If you have aspirations of starting your own business, college may or may not be worth the investment. I went to school on the GI Bill and still had loans that took my wife and me many years to pay off before we were at the point where we felt we could afford to have kids. One of the biggest regrets in my life is not having kids younger.

That degree landed me a good job, but in the end was it worth it?

A buddy of mine knows a financial planner who shows his clients a model where an 18 year old high school grad who learns a trade and starts working and saving for retirement right away and ends up better or at least no worse off than his peer who goes to college for several years and racks up a lot of debt. The college grad makes more money when he does start working, but he has an uphill battle to catch up to the kid who got the jump by starting to work and save right away. The power of compounding interest. And keep in mind that you will never get rich or get far ahead as an employee no matter how good a job you have. The system just doesn't allow for it. Everyone I know who is well off is self-employed or runs their own business. Greater risk, but greater reward.

College obviously isn't required to be in business for yourself, but you might learn things in school that will help you in business like better reading and writing, math, accounting, business management, etc.

Definitely finish high school, and consider enlisting in the military. You'll learn and experience more in a few years than most people will in a lifetime. You'll mature faster, become more responsible, and depending on your MOS you will get technical skills that you can use the rest of your life, all on Uncle Sam's dime. This also gives you some time to really figure out what you want to do, and if you decide to go to college, you'll get money for that too. If you want to be a game warden or get any government job, the civil service bonus points you get for being a veteran make a huge difference. Being a warden is so competitive that it's very hard to get into without those veteran points. No matter how well you do on the entrance exams, there will be a veteran who does just as good and gets 10 points added to his score.

If you really want to be a game warden, see if your state has a volunteer or part-time program like we do here in PA. You get the best of both worlds, the ability to experience being a game or fish warden and still get to make a living at the same time. Most of the deputies I know make probably twice as much or more in their civilian careers as the their full-time counterparts make.

Last piece of advice: whatever you do, put away at least 10% toward retirement.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 04:53 AM

In college what helped me most was a heavy dose of economic analysis, business law, and business report writing.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. - 02/23/21 05:01 AM

I had posted this in another thread also.
This book is the most influential investment and money book I have ever read, bar none. The Richest Man In Babylon by George S Clason :-)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums