Home

Mice get at hides

Posted By: coonman220

Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 05:51 AM

Can mice climb top of square plastic buckets the kind used for bucket cubbies an get into cardboard box of rat pelts , on top bucket ? Also have beaver on piece cardboard lay on top cardboard box traps, no sign mice damage on edges, should u take stack beaver pelts apart an look underneath occasionally ? I think u could see any damage outside edges ?
Posted By: Massac

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 06:04 AM

Since no one here can see exactly what is around your pelt storage, then there is the possibility. Mice can climb any sort of textured surface and can also jump from place to place. So maybe you have something near your buckets that they are climbing on and getting directly on the 'rat pelts or they are able to jump on to them.

A mouse wouldn't be able to climb up a slick plastic bucket. Maybe set the bucket in the middle of a room where there is nothing nearby for them to climb on or jump from.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 06:28 AM

Mice can not climb the sides of a normal bucket. Some mice can jump the height of a 5 gallon bucket, but most can not. I used to raise mice in open topped buckets. I also dump live trapped mice into empty buckets. One out of every couple hundred or so mice jumps out.

Mice can easily climb the wire on the traps, chew through the cardboard and get into and damage or destroy the beaver pelts. Mice are very destructive. I lost a huge amount of waterfowl and some other mounts to mice.

Keith
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 01:19 PM

Mice could be dropping from ceiling or jumping off walls. When they want at something it's amazing the lengths they go to do it
Posted By: eric space

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 03:04 PM

I always stack pelts on a table rodents can not climb on. Mice and rat poison inside boxes in several locations.

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 03:07 PM

I guess check occasionally , u think be very noticable without take pelts apart , I don't think they would go ceiling an go down fur hangers on to coon hides , so within short time destructive? Should take box rat pelts out look or just look top box an check bottom ?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 03:10 PM

I had a few beaver hanging on nails on the wall the mice got to the ear cartilage if they can get to it they will, I just trapped the mice free bait.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 03:12 PM

You think mice are bad you ought to battle flying squirrels. They are like Gremlins.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 03:46 PM

I use to gang set all around my beaver hide stacks.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 04:04 PM

I never have had any mice problems when It came to my fur. Stored rat hides In card board boxes and right know I have 4 beaver hides laying on top of my work bench. And I just checked them out and no problems. And I do have mice In the shop.
The other day I had shut down one of my freezers and I left the top open so It would dry out. Looked a few days later and there were 2 mice running around In the freezer.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 06:52 PM

Have you had trouble in the past?
Are you at a new residence?
Are you storing in a new area if not at a new residence?
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 07:33 PM

Hungry mice climb and run faster!
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 07:52 PM

Coons a guy guy can stomach, but when they mow out a shoe sized patch on the belly of a $1200 wy bobcat just to make a nice toasty nest, then you get a little mad.

I had a customer take his 3 finished cats out of the freezer, lay them on top of said freezer, go feed cows, come back, grab cats, go meet the furbuyer.

In that time frame the mice got into his fancy cats. They would have averaged $1200. I ended up paying him 1200 on two, and $150 on the mouse damaged.

Sent the damaged one to nafa, and it sold for $163

Last I saw the disgruntled rancher, he was headed towards the hardware store for mouse traps.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/22/21 08:12 PM

Marty - I’m not doubting you BUT does it seem feasible that a mouse (or even more than one mouse) could do that amount of damage in such a short period of time. That mouse (those mice) must have had inside information as to when the pelts were coming out of the freezer. LOL

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 12:25 AM

Upon checking good, not sign of mice indoors where at,never had trouble bfore, maybe don't bother there, but got be mice around
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 12:34 AM

Clothes moths and dermestid beetles also like dried pelts. They can do just as much damage as mice.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 12:51 AM

Lay out a decoy piece of junk fur easy for them to get, maybe they will leave the good hanging ones alone.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 01:50 AM

Sell them, you won't have to worry about storing them.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 12:56 PM

The easiest way to keep mice out of fur is preventative maintenance. Put some poison out.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 01:10 PM

I had a weasel in my garage taking care of the mice. Lol
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Sell them, you won't have to worry about storing them.

X2 stop dragging your feet on them
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 02:30 PM

keep them in a dead freezer you get FREE off Craigslist or just ask any appliance store that often brings out the dead after installing new.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Mice get at hides - 02/23/21 04:17 PM

Glad to hear the problems at work are finally over and done with. Not having mice problems is better than problems at work.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums