Home

Embarassed old beaver trapper

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:08 AM

Today I had an experience I've never had before. I hear lots of stories about folks getting whacked with 330s, but of course no one that I know of can beat those whacks that Marty Harmon has told about over the years. If I recall correctly, Marty says the only place a 330 hasn't whacked him was his left testicle. My experience was tame compared to his many experiences.

I found a nice divot in the bank that would offer a great spot to put a 330. I got a tall 330 stabilizer all set with a 330 installed. I fastened a wire to the top of the stabilizer, and I secured the end to a small pine that was right there. I then tried to move closer to the edge to position the trap, and my right foot caught on a vine. Well, I saw it was just a small vine, so I yanked my foot back and slammed it forward to break the vine. The problem was that my foot, once it broke the vine, kept going forward into the set 330. Of course the trap was upside down in the stabilizer, and the safety hooks were dangling freely. It came as quite a shock when those jaws wrapped on my foot. I started laughing and hoping no one would come down the road while I was in this fix. It reminded me of the time that CDR caught my wallet when I fell on it. Anyway, I sat down to try to compress the springs. I was unable to compress them because of the awkwardness of how the trap had me. So, I took the wire off the top of the stabilizer and slid the stabilizer off of the trap. I then crawled on my hands and knees to my truck, which was only about 15 feet away. Culvert trappers don't get far from their trucks, you know. I was able to reach in the truck bed, get the setters to compress the springs, then remove the trap. I swear it was more embarrassing than painful. I reckon it's a good thing it wasn't a Belisle, or it may have been more painful. I have set 330s many thousands of times, and this was my first Marty Harmon experience.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:13 AM

Good story 😂
Posted By: Maddog47

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:14 AM

Oh but I would have given a lot for a photo op of that experience. Bet the photo would bring a good dollar at an NTA benefit auction.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:15 AM

Stepped it one the slap did not hurt but the ankle bone was sure feeling it every time I tried to move I told my buddy to pull up on the stake end of the cable extension he pulled up on the trap end. I do feel your pain.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:15 AM

If it had been a Belisle, the safeties would not have flipped down and your record would still be intact.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:17 AM

Now I can say..."It happened to the best of us!"

Moosetrot

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
If it had been a Belisle, the safeties would not have flipped down and your record would still be intact.

No, the safeties would have been off even on a belisle, because I was placing the trap. I was three feet up on the bank and wouldn't be able to reach the safeties once placed.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:19 AM

Bahahaha
Hang in there PAUL
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:25 AM

I wasn't as lucky as you Boss the first time my foot wore one of them 10"X10" torture devices. There was a witness.

Back in the early 80's I had waded across a rain swelled small creek looking for my submerged conibear. Found it with my boot and wore it back across the crick where NewHouse 114 was laughing so hard he couldn't even attempt to take it off for several minutes. He still reminds me of it every once an a while.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:33 AM

I wonder how the conversation would have went had Mr. Charles D. had been there with you?
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:34 AM

R-E-S-P-E-C-T-Thats what we do with a 330. And we don't need any reminders from Aretha Franklin.
LOL getting whacked by one is something we never forget,
Tom
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:39 AM

Why am i seeing Ned Beatty crawling around in his underware? lol
Posted By: Flint Lock

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:43 AM

When one of those traps fires underwater, does the water slow it down such that it would do any less damage than if it got you in the dry?
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:50 AM

Water won't slow it down much--just ask any beaver that has encountered one.
The couple times I did it -one I was getting ready to place it,so no water . The other was half submerged.They both got my attention and kept it.
Tom
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 09:17 AM

just a reminder on"it would never happen to me"always be careful setting traps and working with power tools
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 09:59 AM

welcome to the club , laugh
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 10:20 AM

I am still wondering about the poor fellas right nut, and the story behind that? Whew!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 10:25 AM

Good story, I am glad you weren't hurt.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 10:34 AM

Welcome to the club many years ago a 330 caught both arms kinda a sticky situation very cold out and already wired off but I think the only time my wife ever went with me. she learned to use the setters that day
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 11:08 AM

Thats great Paul. And where you crawled up from the location you made a nice visible fake slide to enhance the set appearance, way to go. Cant beat that for eye appeal!
Jim
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 11:17 AM

I just sent Trapset a Thankyou PM the other day for making the One Hand setter. I joined the 330 Belisle club a couple weeks ago, While in a rush I didn't have my safety or my setter trying to clean fragmighty out of the trigger,I slipped on the icy log and it bite me just above the wrist, luckily my wife was within ears distance to bring me the RTS setter. I'm glad she was there to help but if she wasn't I never would have told her what happened.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 12:29 PM

The more experienced you get the less cautious you become i find! I think getting caught by the wallet would be funnier to see lol.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 12:50 PM

It's about time you joined the club. I don't know why you waited all these years to do it. laugh
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Thats great Paul. And where you crawled up from the location you made a nice visible fake slide to enhance the set appearance, way to go. Cant beat that for eye appeal!
Jim

Haha Jim!

And its a good thing an aggressive snake didn't show up also!

Sorry Paul
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 01:19 PM

If only the google Earth vehicle was cruising down that road at that time!
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 01:38 PM

He’s right. Had it been a Belisle, you wouldn’t have been in the same situation. Belisles are the safest trap I own.

Glad you made it out though.

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa

He’s right. Had it been a Belisle, you wouldn’t have been in the same situation. Belisles are the safest trap I own.

Glad you made it out though.

No, the safeties would have been off even on a belisle, because I was in the process of placing the trap. I was three feet up on the bank and wouldn't be able to reach the safeties once placed.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 01:51 PM

Paul...Any pain today with the hit area......just not your pride being hurt.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 01:57 PM

If that was me with my luck at the exact time I'm crawling across the ground a school bus full of teenagers would have rolled by with them all taking pictures on their phones, the local volunteer fire department would of been out on a training day and PETA would of showed up to take pictures on how dangerous traps are!!

Glad your okay
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 02:04 PM

No pics Boss ...??
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 02:18 PM

grin
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 03:04 PM

I too have been a recipient of a 330 on the foot. ALWAYS when I am using the tall stands in deeper runs. I set the 330 with the trigger on the bottom and I will put my foot on the top jaw to push the stabilizer down. I guess call me graceful!!!!!!!!! Always glad they weren't magnums or Belisles. Nonetheless it still hurt!
Posted By: charles

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 03:33 PM

Thanks for the confession. Yours was a accident, most of mine resulted from stupidity.
Posted By: coop

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:51 PM

I used to be like that when I first started too... grin
Posted By: Machias

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 04:56 PM

Glad you were ok!!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MnJag
Good story 😂

But, not as good as when the CDR caught you by the wallet. laugh
Posted By: Cindy

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 08:43 PM

of boy glad your ok!
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 10:38 PM

Good story! Did it wreck your hippers?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 10:42 PM

What no pictures grin
Posted By: GotFur3

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/23/21 11:28 PM

Lol glad you are OK.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/24/21 01:30 AM

Well now you’re going to have to fill out an incident report and come up with corrective actions to prevent it from happening again.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/24/21 03:58 AM

You probably invented a new lure/scent combination,, Back-pooper

Rickey
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/25/21 12:01 AM

Well did the trap catch anything after you going through all that misery? lol
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Embarassed old beaver trapper - 02/25/21 08:00 PM

Being a novice beaver trapper I ALWAYS leave the safety device on the jaws until I'm ready to walk away!!!!!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums