Home

Setting around a Cow Carcus

Posted By: Texas Tracks

Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 07:28 PM

Good afternoon everyone I'm new to this forum I just started trapping this year my Ranch is overrun with coyote so far sense December 7th I have caught 4 Bobcats and 7 coyote non under 34 pounds, largest one was 39.2 pounds and 4 foxes.

As probably most of you know over the course of the last week here in North East Texas for the first time in history we saw temperatures below 15 degrees in fact they plummeted to a -12. By doing so I lost two adult cows and two calves.

I have both adult cows pulled to the far corner of my property approximately 60 Acres away I just need to get an idea of how to set these carcasses. Will coyotes go for the muzzle/ head area or the butt end and work the way in? How would you set it?
I have 25 Bridger number 3 dogless traps, appreciate any and all help thank you
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 07:36 PM

Never set at a carcass it’s nothing but trouble coming your way if you do! I doubt it’s even legal just set where they are coming and going from better yet drop the carcass in thick cover or a draw this will make set location easier then when limiting access to the locations. TX has some different types of landscapes so a pic would be nice.
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 07:39 PM

There is an ongoing topic in the trapping only section right now that is discussing this same topic.
bait station with carcass

I'd make sure it is legal to set next to the carcass first. All states have different rules and in some that is not allowed.

I would set snares on trails leading to the carcasses.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 07:54 PM

If you got a good blind I'd drag them to about 200 yards of it (or move it near them) and when they start getting hit set in that blind and snipe them with a rifle.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 09:05 PM

Coyotes generally start from the butt and work there way in. So if you choose to shoot them with a rifle, position the cow's rear in a direction that when they are feeding you can sneak in position easier.

If you have some tall weeds or brush to put them in, you can put cows in there. After coyotes start going to and from bait pile you can set snares in trails. If you choose to use footholds you'll be fine setting a 100 yards or more off of bait pile. Use prevailing night winds to your advantage. Set upwind on nice travel spots (cow trails, coyote trail, 2 track) to carcasses, using dirt hole sets, scent posts, and even blind sets(trap in noticeable trail to carcass). I would set 6 - 8 footholds in various spots. That should give you good coverage and variety for the coyotes visiting.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 09:20 PM

I guess I wonder if you know it was the sudden cold killed the cow , why not butcher them up and put them into the freezer then only leave the calf ,head and bones for cleaning out at your carcass dump.

my cuz said it was already back up to 70s round Dallas so that ship may have sailed already.

I have a cow hanging in pieces in my garage right now , headed for the freezer and yes I understand I am not normal.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/23/21 10:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your cattle.

if you just set traps blind around the carcasses you will probably catch some hawks and owls too. if you can see tracks where your at, you can set back away from the carcasses . Hang snares. I dont know if drags work good where you are but drags will let them get away from the catch site. I think though a coyote yipping barking and dancing in a trap, tends to bring in its brethren.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 01:58 PM

had to edit my post. it sounded like i was saying set away from the tracks rather than the carcasses
Posted By: Bill.M

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 03:30 PM

Caught my first double this year on a cow carcass. It was laying at the x. Just get a few feet away. 2 dirtholes nothing special. Caught a single 2 days later. Good spot wish I set more than two traps. [Linked Image]

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 05:03 PM

Nice!! So I should provide a dirt hole a ways away.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 05:07 PM

A rancher down the road asked if I wanted them, said they were both sick and had been injected with a ton of stuff to keep them going. Believe me When they went down I that was the first thing I thought of,, full freezers,, so i called that rancher and spoke to the vet also,, the vet said no way.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 05:10 PM

A rancher down the road asked if I wanted them, said they were both sick and had been injected with a ton of stuff to keep them going. Believe me When they went down I that was the first thing I thought of,, full freezers,, so i called that rancher and spoke to the vet also,, the vet said no way. Thank you all for the help, very much appreciated
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 05:14 PM

In my area coyotes dont like the carcasses of doctored cows.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
In my area coyotes dont like the carcasses of doctored cows.
That's my general experience also, with any heavily medicated animal carcass.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 06:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Not sure this is any help but here it is anyway. One thing is the birds. Get the birds working it and their calling will ring the dinner bell for miles.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 08:33 PM

I thought you were talking about a barbque !! Sitting around drinking beer . Calf on the spit .
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 08:47 PM

I know a young fella that set a deer carcass and caught a very nice big bird with a white head. Not a good idea setting close.
Posted By: Bill.M

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/24/21 11:36 PM

I learned that lesson the hard way too. Set right on a deer carcass and came back the next morning to a half eaten crow. The land owner asked why I did not catch the coyote that was seen running away from my set. Need to know your state regs as most will have you setting off of the bait so the above does not happen.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 02:56 AM

Anytime I cow's been shoot full of antibiotics chances are the magpies , hawks and eagles won't eat off it and the coyotes won't touch it either so it's a waste of time and effort .

A cow that dies with out being shot full of antibiotics is a fantastic draw but I'd check with your local game warden first then fallow the set back rules and set snares all the way to the perimeter fence and all the crawl unders !

If possible set the cows in a brushy area a few game or cow trails help a bunch to set snares on .
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 03:48 AM

I dump quite a few deads every year. I take care of the cattle so I know whether they've been treated or not. I've seen non treated non sick cattle go untouched and I've seen plenty of treated animals get eaten. Coyotes are strange sometimes. Those boys who catch big #s at feedlots are catching coyotes that are eating cattle that are usually full of antibiotics before they die.

I will add this, around here if you set up on a dead before the coyotes are really hitting it you can spook them off and may only end up catching one or two instead of five or more.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Never set at a carcass it’s nothing but trouble coming your way if you do! I doubt it’s even legal just set where they are coming and going from better yet drop the carcass in thick cover or a draw this will make set location easier then when limiting access to the locations. TX has some different types of landscapes so a pic would be nice.

I never shoot over one unless I have trapped out the dummies' and then I try to snipe anyone I edumacated. Set the trails and travel ways like you would any other food source and you should wipe up
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I dump quite a few deads every year. I take care of the cattle so I know whether they've been treated or not. I've seen non treated non sick cattle go untouched and I've seen plenty of treated animals get eaten. Coyotes are strange sometimes. Those boys who catch big #s at feedlots are catching coyotes that are eating cattle that are usually full of antibiotics before they die.

I will add this, around here if you set up on a dead before the coyotes are really hitting it you can spook them off and may only end up catching one or two instead of five or more.

I won't set within 100 yards of dead's in a pasture. If you have to you have to.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 11:58 AM

[Linked Image]

Coyotes dont know what a trap is. This spot kept catching.

[Linked Image]

so did this one. so did the trails coming in. Lots of noise from a coyote and jumping around, at a food source, brings in other coyotes. the raptor catch possibility is real. some states setting on a carcass is illegal.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 12:16 PM

One thing to keep in mind is coyote numbers. Where numbers are high coyotes are braver. If they're not aggressive about finding food they dont eat. Coyotes that deal with year round gmen, planes, ranchers using poison, (yes it is illegal but they get away with it.) cyanide guns and who knows what all, coyotes are nervous.

I dont think I ever met a cowboy that said "we dont have many coyotes".

Those parts of the world where coyotes are hard pressed and numbers are just not there, really are a little tougher to catch.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 09:34 PM

Great points and great pics ya old panny sniffer!
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Hey, a stripper gave him that face mask and he likes the way it smells. laugh
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
ranchers using poison, (yes it is illegal but they get away with it.) .

That is an inaccurate statement.
Agricultural land owners and/or their employees in Texas can get certification to use 1080 collars as well as M44 guns.
In my area we go through the predator management board of the sheep and goat raisers association to get the collars. They have to be inspected every so often which I believe is every 30 days. I have to check them out every 30 days.
I cannot buy them direct from LPC.

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 10:55 PM

whats that have to do with furadan

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/25/21 11:44 PM

I appreciate any and All info. And imput everyone

Re: Setting around a Cow Carcus - 02/26/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Originally Posted by Leftlane

Hey, a stripper gave him that face mask and he likes the way it smells. laugh

confused
© 2024 Trapperman Forums