Home

being unnoticed:

Posted By: Marty

being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:12 PM

Ok, so this video is about the gray man or being able to move thru area that contain other people without drawing attention but these pointers can also be used in our lives daily to not draw attention. Something to think about in the current situation, I may add some more videos later depending on the response. Please add your thoughts...on both moving around in a time of bad situation's and on not drawing attention in daily life. I know I need to change a few things to blend in more in daily life.....

Posted By: Bruce T

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:13 PM

grin
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:20 PM

My beard is grey.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:25 PM

All I can think of is the movie firefox where Clint Eastwood just causally walks past all the Russians and proceeds to steal their airplane and fly off with it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:35 PM

Match the baseline and blend in same thing rule 2 and 3
Posted By: Catch22

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
My beard is grey.

Mine too, I'm safe and cool at the same time! grin
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:39 PM

With all the safety paranoia these days it shouldn't be too difficult to be unrecognizeable at least. But yes, it's good to keep a low profile.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/27/21 09:47 PM

not wearing a mask will get you noticed immediately....
Posted By: Zim

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 02:44 AM

I try to maintain some situational awareness at all times. It is easy to become lulled a bit because
I live in a rural environment. On the other hand I become I become a bit "edgy" when I am around
others in a crowded situation.
The more I see these punks playing the knockout game on older folks, well... bring it.

Zim
Posted By: adam m

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:10 AM

My head is always on a swivel. I typically blend in anywhere I go.
My buddy teaches ccw and one thing he mentions is avoid wearing clothing that will give it away that you are carrying. Example NRA, pro 2nd any gun manufacturer etc...
I wear a few of those tshirts but they are my under shirts

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:30 AM

I have a hard time with being unnoticed, need to work on that. Some good posts made, I appreciate that.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:33 AM

I am going grey but not to likely I could be the grey man

darn near every were I go people recognize me.

I was at the hardware store this morning and not only did the girl remember me she remembered I was looking for XL nitrile gloves earlier in the week. after an hour of cutting meat I realized my hands were going to be hamburger if I didn't put some gloves on so I bought large and made them work. she even asked me how the cow was going.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:52 AM

I can never blend in, so instead, i "jason bourne" every single place i enter. Threat assessment, protection
of sweet wifey, then me, then normal humanoids, places to get behind to protect innocent life. No need to be twitchy, but any place you enter needs a plan. The more places you been, the more folks you been around,
the easier it is. Been studying people for years and years subconsciously. From the hillbillies to the Hill District in Pittsburgh, and from Culver City Los Angeles to Bankhead Atlanta. If you can't go unnoticed, better be able
to get respect...and that's not by arrogance, but by confidence and experience.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 04:13 AM

Interesting, I have a little trouble blending in myself. The mask would help, but I am more likely to set that example that inspires half the people to discard their mask.
And at 6'3" I stand out.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 04:15 AM

I myself and purdy noticeable but that is ok, the goons of the world can just come at me. I don't even mind Marty
Posted By: furstroker

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Interesting, I have a little trouble blending in myself. The mask would help, but I am more likely to set that example that inspires half the people to discard their mask.
And at 6'3" I stand out.

Yup, right along those lines with ya. I enter the store, avoid all folks, then tie on my black bandanna like
a train robber bout to get paid...then i buy my stuff. grin grin
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Marty
I have a hard time with being unnoticed, need to work on that. Some good posts made, I appreciate that.

Good spies didn't look like Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan... They looked like the guy who handled your mortgage paperwork at the bank... Unremarkable.

I'm 6' 220ish, brown hair, blue eyes, no tattoos... I have facial hair but nothing that stands out. I (usually) keep it trimmed so that it's pretty well hidden behind a mask. I don't wear jewelery at all. I wear glasses but they're such a common style that hopefully they're unremarkable.

The trick is to wear clothing that is "in style" but don't pick the most expensive or outrageous/brightly colored articles. A pair of comfortable jeans and a t-shirt. Throw on a black or grey Nike/Adidas/Carhartt hoodie and similar ball cap. Footwear should be sensible and comfortable but keep it nondescript... My daily work boots are a pair of moc toe Thorogood work boots. They're good boots but not a lot of folks outside the trades wear them and they're ugly enough to be remembered. I also have a pair of soft toe Wolverine wellingtons. A bit more low key and forgettable.

Be polite to people but not talkative. Being too quiet or ignoring a 'hello' may mark you in someone's memory. A polite nod and a 'how ya doin?' when someone says hello may help you be forgotten. Don't have stupid/annoying/memorable ring tones on your phone. Stopping to check a message or notification is almost ubiquitous in today's society and it gives you a chance to stop and check your surroundings without drawing a lot of attention.

No one should know you have a knife and CCW until it's too late.

The customized Covid masks are all the rage. Wearing one helps you blend in but choose something plain... Avoid the American flag, Punisher skull, flippant edgy messages, and all that crap.

Body language should tell people you are moving somewhere with a purpose but don't look like you're trying to be sneaky. Hands in your pockets, hunched shoulders, and head down looks like you might be trying to hide something.

Be a "people watcher" when you can. Learn what makes people stand out in your memory and what doesn't. Apply what you learn.

Mike
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 06:02 AM

Why would you want to blend in when you were made to stand out?
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by furstroker
I can never blend in, so instead, i "jason bourne" every single place i enter. Threat assessment, protection
of sweet wifey, then me, then normal humanoids, places to get behind to protect innocent life. No need to be twitchy, but any place you enter needs a plan. The more places you been, the more folks you been around,
the easier it is. Been studying people for years and years subconsciously. From the hillbillies to the Hill District in Pittsburgh, and from Culver City Los Angeles to Bankhead Atlanta. If you can't go unnoticed, better be able
to get respect...and that's not by arrogance, but by confidence and experience.

Have to agree with you there. I hate people and (sort of) try to blend in -- been in sales for a number of years====== so i can usually read people fairly well. If you fail to plan- plan to fail.
Posted By: Posco

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
[font:Comic Sans MS]I myself and purdy noticeable but that is ok

Same here, can't be helped. Jaw chiseled out of stone and reeking of pheromones. I haven't put a comb to my hair in over a decade so I have a slightly disheveled look about me to begin with. A partially untucked shirt doesn't look out of place on me and that hides an IWB holster very well. I don't live my life in fear but I do keep my eyes open.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Why would you want to blend in when you were made to stand out?

X2
Posted By: Rob & Neall

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 10:49 AM

Personally, I'm offended...this is too gender specific...lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 12:07 PM

As much as I try, I can't blend in. Women simply flock to me. It is a curse I must bare. whistle
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 12:14 PM

Didn't watch the movie but from the post counts some of us are failing to be unnoticed lol.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 12:14 PM

It sucks to be so good looking. Guess I'll never be able to blend in.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 12:23 PM

In truth, I believe we are overthinking this. It is not hard for a bunch of middle aged fat guys to blend in.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 01:11 PM

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble

Sing it now!

When you're perfect in every way!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 01:20 PM

Being generous with that middle age limit with our demographic. I'm 40 and probably on the young side here? Some are younger but more are older
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 02:08 PM

Isn't that ironic, two years ago wearing a mask in public would get you noticed.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 02:34 PM

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble

Sing it now!

When you're perfect in every way!

It's not bragging if u can do it!!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 02:35 PM

Incognito
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 02:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
[Linked Image]

yes exactly
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:04 PM

Like Red Green, I dress a little sloppy to send a message to other women that I'm not available.
When I'm in a restaurant I prefer to sit away from the door but so I can see the door, with my back to a wall.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Good spies didn't look like Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan... They looked like the guy who handled your mortgage paperwork at the bank... Unremarkable.

I'm 6' 220ish, brown hair, blue eyes, no tattoos... I have facial hair but nothing that stands out. I (usually) keep it trimmed so that it's pretty well hidden behind a mask. I don't wear jewelery at all. I wear glasses but they're such a common style that hopefully they're unremarkable.

The trick is to wear clothing that is "in style" but don't pick the most expensive or outrageous/brightly colored articles. A pair of comfortable jeans and a t-shirt. Throw on a black or grey Nike/Adidas/Carhartt hoodie and similar ball cap. Footwear should be sensible and comfortable but keep it nondescript... My daily work boots are a pair of moc toe Thorogood work boots. They're good boots but not a lot of folks outside the trades wear them and they're ugly enough to be remembered. I also have a pair of soft toe Wolverine wellingtons. A bit more low key and forgettable.

Be polite to people but not talkative. Being too quiet or ignoring a 'hello' may mark you in someone's memory. A polite nod and a 'how ya doin?' when someone says hello may help you be forgotten. Don't have stupid/annoying/memorable ring tones on your phone. Stopping to check a message or notification is almost ubiquitous in today's society and it gives you a chance to stop and check your surroundings without drawing a lot of attention.

No one should know you have a knife and CCW until it's too late.

The customized Covid masks are all the rage. Wearing one helps you blend in but choose something plain... Avoid the American flag, Punisher skull, flippant edgy messages, and all that crap.

Body language should tell people you are moving somewhere with a purpose but don't look like you're trying to be sneaky. Hands in your pockets, hunched shoulders, and head down looks like you might be trying to hide something.

Be a "people watcher" when you can. Learn what makes people stand out in your memory and what doesn't. Apply what you learn.

Mike

I have a hard time with "in fashion" I dress for the weather , I wear a size 16 shoe , I also don't think my overalls or suspenders are the in fashion.

rather than try to hide. I spent a bunch of time in a service van making house calls when I was young, No (almost) one questions a person who looks like they belong there doing what they are doing.
must work ,I get asked for help at stores when I am not even wearing the same color t-shirt as the employees.

which I would think fits in to the look like you belong it is amazing people often don't see people in uniform or uniform like clothing. an certainly don't think anything of them going places and doing things.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:31 PM

I tend to go out in full riot gear with two sidearms and an AR-15 strapped to my back. Nobody talks to me and if they do look at me it's barely a peek. It's funny how I hear our nation is full of fat people, while most people I see when I'm out are jogging or in an all-out sprint.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 03:50 PM

wink

Attached picture B961F637-5144-4B12-9C06-D650C5748652.jpeg

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 07:01 PM

You should be careful about posting pictures of yourself on the net, rob.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 07:03 PM

Never know it’s me with the tacticool sunglasses!

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 07:08 PM

Good video by the way Marty, very useful information for those who need to blend in.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 07:32 PM

Just let people talk. They'll remember themselves more than you.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I have a hard time with "in fashion" I dress for the weather , I wear a size 16 shoe , I also don't think my overalls or suspenders are the in fashion.

rather than try to hide. I spent a bunch of time in a service van making house calls when I was young, No (almost) one questions a person who looks like they belong there doing what they are doing.
must work ,I get asked for help at stores when I am not even wearing the same color t-shirt as the employees.

which I would think fits in to the look like you belong it is amazing people often don't see people in uniform or uniform like clothing. an certainly don't think anything of them going places and doing things.

"In fashion" was a poor choice of words... My "in fashion" jeans are a pair of Wranglers. It's farm/ranch country here... A description of a 6 foot, 220 lb. man with blue eyes, brown hair, wearing faded Wranglers, black Carhartt hoodie and a brown Carhartt vest, with brown Wolverine wellington boots and a Realtree ball cap would describe a good portion of the men in my area.

"And I didn't get a tag number but he was driving an old red pickup with a cracked windshield that had t-posts... Or lumber... Or a pallet of feed in the back."

Anyone who was investigating might narrow it down to me in about 4 years.

My employer bought us all t-shirts and hats with the company name, logo, phone #, etc... on them. I wear them when I'm on the clock. But once I'm off the clock they get changed out or I throw on an FR shirt... Not necessarily to disappear... but because people will ask me about coming to their house to do electrical work 'on the side' usually for a ridiculously low amount per hour. Serious inquiries get a company card.

Mike
Posted By: Cragar

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
When I'm in a restaurant I prefer to sit away from the door but so I can see the door, with my back to a wall.

I read this from a Massad Ayoob article , he sits away from the door like you but facing the door also so you can see a threat coming in the door. One thing he also does is sit near the door to the kitchen. If there is a problem/threat it will generally be near the front door and that blocks an escape route. The exit out through the kitchen is open , most kitchens will have a door to the outside to accept food deliveries. Also there may be a landline that can be used to call for help and some large kitchen knives nearby as well.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 08:39 PM

That is correct Cragar.

Never have your back to a door and always have an exit strategy.

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 09:31 PM

I try to make friends with a meat shield- they might provide good cover if things get dicey LOL

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 09:40 PM

I try to make friends with a meat shield- they might provide good cover if things get dicey LOL

laugh be nice to fat people, they may save your life some day.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: being unnoticed: - 02/28/21 10:27 PM

Can't sit facing the door because my wife always does. lol
just
Posted By: DaveP

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 12:53 AM

Was in Napa Thursday, only the guys working had them on.

One guy came in wearing a full coverage helmet ( heard bike pull in) and he left it on whole time.
Most stared at him, but then again was more Amish in there than anything.

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
Can't sit facing the door because my wife always does. lol
just

I'm sure she would tell you if there is something you need to know, just. Probably, anyway. grin

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:19 AM

Marty the mask thing is getting better. It would not fly in Austin but around SA and the hill country I hang a mask around my top button and go anywhere I want nobody says a word.

No I am working in Ft Bend and Galveston Counties just outside of Houston and I haven't been called on it once.

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:22 AM

here the walmart greeters will confront me about masking more than 75% of the time......very liberal city.... sick

the indoor range has a no mask required policy thou....

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:24 AM

here the walmart greeters will confront me about masking more than 75% of the time......very liberal city.... sick

You do realize that yall are gonna hafta set Laurence KS on fire again don't ya?

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:24 AM

Same here Marty, ranges anyway. Wear it if you are high risk and want to. Don’t if you don’t want to.
I have a GSSF shoot in a couple weeks, will report back on the mask count. Sure It won’t be many.

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:32 AM

You do realize that yall are gonna hafta set Laurence KS on fire again don't ya?

Not me....but I will watch it burn unless I am gone from there. I do have some brush to burn on the golf course this coming week...maybe it'ill get outa control.... laugh

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:35 AM

grin

Re: being unnoticed: - 03/01/21 02:35 AM

Maybe organize a mostly peaceful protest
© 2024 Trapperman Forums