Home

Buy fruit Tress online

Posted By: adam m

Buy fruit Tress online - 02/27/21 09:13 PM

I'm looking for a cherry tree to replace the one at my house. What's a good online retailer?
I've heard of jungseed can't remember the others that have been mentioned on here.

I found Starkbros which has good selection but not sure if the company is any good.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/27/21 09:22 PM

Stark is an old company. So old that they are the nursery that purchased the original red delicious (hawkeye) apple and the original golden delicious as well.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/27/21 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
I'm looking for a cherry tree to replace the one at my house. What's a good online retailer?
I've heard of jungseed can't remember the others that have been mentioned on here.

I found Starkbros which has good selection but not sure if the company is any good.

You wont go wrong with StarkBros. Got a lot of stuff from them.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/27/21 09:29 PM

Avoid TyTy like the plague or any of the other false names they do business under.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/27/21 11:25 PM

Adam, Jungs are here in Wisconsin and are a class act.
I have ordered many things from them over the years.
Used to be a family outfit and have grown, still a great business.
I have ordered trees from Starks also and have been pleased with them.

Zim

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 12:30 AM

Check out St Lawrence Nursery. They seem to specialize in fruit trees suitable for the frigid north. Never ordered from them but found them when looking for a source for Tyson pear.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 12:38 AM

When it comes to fruit trees, first place I look is Cummins.......trees or root stock. Especially with apples, you can pick your tree and pick the root stock to match.

But looks like the cherries are mostly sold out?

https://www.cumminsnursery.com/buy-trees/index.php?type=tree&year=2021&category=Cherry

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 01:49 AM

Thanks everyone I appreciate it.
I was leaning towards Bing Cherry but not sure now. Bing's need another Cherry to pollinate I'd need a dwarf variety to put in the backyard with it. I don't think I have the room for 2 cherry trees unless I move the shed.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 01:58 AM

Thanks everyone I appreciate it.
I was leaning towards Bing Cherry but not sure now. Bing's need another Cherry to pollinate I'd need a dwarf variety to put in the backyard with it. I don't think I have the room for 2 cherry trees unless I move the shed.

Ive had good luck with Stark bros, Adams County Nursery and a couple others, but, is there any chance
of locally sourced tree(s) from a nearby nursery? I realize NM may not have a big
selection of fruit trees, but then again, i could be wrong. I have horrible luck with cherries
where im at, so im not great with the subspecies to help. They need excellent drainage in my experience.
Clay ground doesnt help with that.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 02:23 AM

Awesome thanks. Most nurseries here either have their fruit trees brought in from wholesalers or they charge an arm and a leg. A 4' cherry here you're looking at least $75. I've grown apricots peaches plumbs and apples both in the city and the rez.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 02:25 AM

Ison”s
Ison”s
Ison”s
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 02:31 AM

Awesome thanks. Most nurseries here either have their fruit trees brought in from wholesalers or they charge an arm and a leg. A 4' cherry here you're looking at least $75. I've grown apricots peaches plumbs and apples both in the city and the rez.

Yeah, those are some harsh prices. Dont blame ya a bit for going online.
What about 2 dwarfs? Maybe semi-dwarfs?
Or prune them to fit your yard. Buy standard trees and prune them to the
shape of an arbor-vitae, and i bet they'd produce like crazy.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 02:32 AM

Isons is great and just down the road from me but I doubt Greg has any cherries as they don't grow down here.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 02:44 AM

Good idea furstroker.
Isons is sold out if cherry. They do have great deals.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 05:02 AM

Gourneys has a couple cherries
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 05:03 AM

StarkBros are way over the top for prices. I would find smaller in state nurseries to deal with if possible. Having said that, i have dealt with Adams County nursery and was well satisfied.

'Bing' is an old time cherry and a good one, but there have been a lot of innovations since then that you may want to look at. 'Stella' is one and there are others.

Next, pay good attention to what rootstocks are being used. This is one of the most important parts of the deal. If you have droughty sandy soils you may want a different one than one adapted for heavy clays, etc, etc.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
Gourneys has a couple cherries

I would check out the reviews for Gurney's before doing business there. Last I checked negatives were more than positives.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Check out St Lawrence Nursery. They seem to specialize in fruit trees suitable for the frigid north. Never ordered from them but found them when looking for a source for Tyson pear.

I’ve had limited success with apple trees from St Lawrence Nursery. But I planted in a zone 3 area, Lake Effect snow belt.
My Dolgo Crabs are doing well from this nursery.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 07:08 PM

I put in 80 Stark Bros. fruit trees. They did very well. But that was in 1975 in Decatur, Alabama.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 02/28/21 10:23 PM

I have used a small local nursery where I know the people well. I pay less than $10 per tree. Last I saw some of the nurseries with fancy catalogs are charging north of $50. I think that is nuts.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 03:04 AM

I placed an order today online w/ 3 different WI nurseries. The only thing I couldn't find were pears & apricots, possibly because they weren't my zone (4) or were sold out because I'm so late ordering for this year. The 3 I bought from today, which all had very good websites, were:
Paint Creek Nursery (Cadott)
Fox River Valley Nursery (DePere)
Chief River Nursery (Grafton).
This is my first time ordering from Frank's Fox River Valley Nursery & from Chief River.

This year I'm going to use root gel.
I'm hopeful I don't need to water as much as last year.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 03:39 AM

Fedco out of Maine. never have lost a tree that I have bought from them.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 04:50 AM

Stark is an old company. So old that they are the nursery that purchased the original red delicious (hawkeye) apple and the original golden delicious as well.

x2
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 04:59 AM

You looking for a sweet cherry or a Pie cherry?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 05:51 AM

I have well over 100 sour cherry trees. My ditchline made by springs is full of cherry trees. The trees spread by roots and pits. The cherries make excellent pies. The trees bear fruit in 3 to 4 years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keith
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 01:38 PM

Not sure the time but once a year the Missouri conservation sells saplings and you can order off line I believe. They have a huge nursery next town over all kinds of varieties and bundles you can get. Maybe to late this year since I don't remember the time lines but if you would like I could probably get you a number to call and ask how it all works
Posted By: 50fps

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/19/23 01:56 PM

I’ve used this one with good results for arborvitae and pear trees.

http://wallace-woodstock.com/

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/20/23 11:24 PM

Hmm... I see Wallace-Woodstock has some apricot trees for my zone. I maybe should try some of them for deer & my own eating pleasure
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/21/23 12:04 AM

Willis orchard in GA, Just got my three in one cherry tree. My previous cherry trees all died the same year planted, they alwaysrrplace them

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/21/23 04:32 PM

I went to my property today & was saddened to see both apple trees I planted last year got girdled terribly. I guess the tree tubes I used weren't nearly tall enough. Rabbits or mice is my guess. It sure is hard growing fruit trees. Maybe apple trees are more susceptible to this than other fruit, I'm not sure. I don't think either will make it. I wonder if nut trees are also susceptible to rodent chewing. Maybe I should have wrapped the bark on these instead of relying on a tree tube that ended up being too short. Thing is, they weren't that short of tree tubes. We had a lot of snow this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/21/23 05:11 PM

I just ordered 20 chestnut seedlings (12-18" tall) from my local county ag extension office for $1 each. They had several fruit trees available too but I only need the chestnuts this year.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/21/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I went to my property today & was saddened to see both apple trees I planted last year got girdled terribly. I guess the tree tubes I used weren't nearly tall enough. Rabbits or mice is my guess. It sure is hard growing fruit trees. Maybe apple trees are more susceptible to this than other fruit, I'm not sure. I don't think either will make it. I wonder if nut trees are also susceptible to rodent chewing. Maybe I should have wrapped the bark on these instead of relying on a tree tube that ended up being too short. Thing is, they weren't that short of tree tubes. We had a lot of snow this year.

[Linked Image]

I use 5ft tubes for all deciduous trees. Only thing you have to watch for is mice getting under the tube or chewing thru the vent holes. Be sure when planting that the tubes are a good 2-3" in the soil so they can go under them.

I've had both happen. They killed about 1/2 of my Apples by girdling them when inside the tube. But more fortunately they don't seem to like the taste of Oak bark so they leave the Oak trees alone when they get into the tubes.
I have taken to putting 12" x 1/4" hardware cloth around the bottom to keep the mice from chewing thru the tubes. Only way to be sure mice don't get in them.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/21/23 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

[Linked Image]

I do not know about Nut Trees but here in WV all of my Apple Trees are attacked by Bear and Hogs. My Cherry trees up on the Mountain have all of the tops busted out of them. The Stupid Bears will lay in the tops and eat their fill and the ones they can't get to they ride it down and break the tops out of them. Since my wife got that Great Dane though the Apple trees are safe!!
Posted By: hickoryridge

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/21/23 06:56 PM

Mehrayban Nursery in NY

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/31/23 01:36 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll look into see if I can find some good taller tree tubes

I ordered more trees online & I'm hoping I learned my lesson on these 2 apple trees because I'd sure hate to have this happen again.

Whether the culprit is mice or rabbits I am not sure, but I need to avoid such problems again.

I might try this tree wrap too:
[Linked Image]
I've never tried this kind of tree wrap
Posted By: Old Relic

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/31/23 01:40 AM

Avoid TyTy like the plague or any of the other false names they do business under.

I'll second that statement.
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 03/31/23 02:06 AM

This place is in my home town ….. they use a Russian rootstock ….. I have had good luck with their trees …

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/21/23 05:22 AM

I didn't think Russian rootstock would be considered a good thing
Posted By: 160user

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/21/23 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

[Linked Image]

That tree is NOT lost! I deal with this every Spring. Wrap the area as tightly as possible with masking tape. Use your hand to get it as tight to the trunk as possible and work out as many air bubbles as you can. Give it 2 or 3 wraps and the tree usually survives and will easily break the masking tape as it grows. I have done this successfully many times. The key is to get them wrapped up before the tree tries budding out so the earlier the better.
Posted By: keets

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/21/23 10:34 AM

GREAT ADVICE ^^^ sometimes if apple trees hit a zone where they are alive, but stagnant, you can shock them by damaging the bar similar to that, and they will really take off
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/21/23 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I didn't think Russian rootstock would be considered a good thing

One of the things I like about Cummins is they educate you on what you are getting. Their "Bud" root stocks.......

https://www.cumminsnursery.com/buy-trees/product-detail.php?type=rootstock&id=6213

I ordered 3 three trees from Cummins last winter. They only shipped two. Replaced the one they didn't ship from Starks, and when it arrived, it was 3X the size of the trees Cummins sent at 2X the price. Having said that, all three have sprouted and are growing.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/21/23 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by salemtrapper
Not sure the time but once a year the Missouri conservation sells saplings and you can order off line I believe. They have a huge nursery next town over all kinds of varieties and bundles you can get. Maybe to late this year since I don't remember the time lines but if you would like I could probably get you a number to call and ask how it all works

You can order anytime, but they ship bare root dormant seedlings in the very late winter, or early spring. Non residents welcome, but you pay a little more, likely too late for this year. George White Nursery, @ mdc.mo.gov. 573-674-4047

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/22/23 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by AJE

[Linked Image]

That tree is NOT lost! I deal with this every Spring. Wrap the area as tightly as possible with masking tape. Use your hand to get it as tight to the trunk as possible and work out as many air bubbles as you can. Give it 2 or 3 wraps and the tree usually survives and will easily break the masking tape as it grows. I have done this successfully many times. The key is to get them wrapped up before the tree tries budding out so the earlier the better.

WOW! I better get out there tomorrow w/ masking tape. That sounds amazing.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/22/23 04:58 AM

I tried ordering some apricot trees today from Wallace Woodstock nursery and they're already sold out. Apricots are are hard to find.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/23/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

[Linked Image]

I taped them today. The one with the most tape is the Cortland & had girdling all the way around (no new buds yet). The 1 with a smaller amount of tape is a honeycrisp that didn't have as much rabbit damage & wasn't girdled all the way around & is already budding. Fingers crossed. I'll just leave it as is & let the tape fall off whenever it is ready, & hopefully by then the tree is ok.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The trees are about 7 ft tall.

Posted By: Snare loop

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/23/23 08:23 PM

Buy local.
You will get trees that do well in your area, plus most places give a one year replacement.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/23/23 09:42 PM

I've had good success both online, local retail and my last delivery was Friday 10 fruit trees from County extension. Nice thing about buying local is you can pick your exact tree but you pay. In Michigan I do great with peaches, apples, plums, pears and cherries. Grand father got me into planting fruit trees. Pros online lower price and was amazed how well trees did, I know the smaller trees that I took care of many times in a couple years surpassed folks that planted trees much larger and expensive on the get go.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/23/23 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
I've had good success both online, local retail and my last delivery was Friday 10 fruit trees from County extension. Nice thing about buying local is you can pick your exact tree but you pay. In Michigan I do great with peaches, apples, plums, pears and cherries. Grand father got me into planting fruit trees. Pros online lower price and was amazed how well trees did, I know the smaller trees that I took care of many times in a couple years surpassed folks that planted trees much larger and expensive on the get go.

Have you found cherries to be enjoyed by deer & also edible for humans? Cherry is something I've never ordered but am thinking about it.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/23/23 10:30 PM

On cherries it is beating the birds to the crop or putting a net on the tree.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 04/24/23 02:11 AM

Ok. In that case I might pass on them. I'm looking for good accessible deer & human food, not bird food. Thanks

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 05/27/23 06:34 AM

Putting a bird net over blueberry bushes isn't bad but it seems like it'd be hard to try to net a cherry tree

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 06/11/23 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

[Linked Image]

The masking tape seems to be working. The one tree is thriving & the one that got fully girdled is showing a lot of life below the masking tape.

My neighbor had several crabapple trees hit like this this winter. Instead of using tape he sprayed them with tree paint and his seem to be doing well.
Posted By: Old Relic

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 06/11/23 05:51 AM

You got that right!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 06/11/23 11:59 AM

cutting bark in a circle around tree trunk with a box cutter will shock tree and produce flowers earlier OR if over 5 years old
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 06/11/23 12:31 PM

I lost two trees this year and almost to mature trees to a piliated woodpacker!

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 06/17/23 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
I lost two trees this year and almost to mature trees to a piliated woodpacker!

I suppose they can alter a tree sort of like a sapsucker

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 07/07/23 03:22 AM

16 of the 17 fruit trees I planted this year are alive. Slow growth, but alive. A good variety, from 4 different online nurseries.

Re: Buy fruit Tress online - 08/19/23 06:44 AM

Hopefully japanese beetles are not hurting your fruit trees
© 2024 Trapperman Forums