Home

Virus protection for PC

Posted By: Law Dog

Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 03:40 PM

Who runs what? Norton is getting out of hand they want to sell you 5 different coverages and suck you into life lock $150 McAfee is way less but how good are they?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 04:01 PM

I run the free versions of Avast and Malewarebytes along with the Windows Defender that came with my old Windows 7 PC. They've caught about everything.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 04:03 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about PCmatic. $50 for five devices. I'm thinking about going that route. I know what you mean about Norton.

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 04:09 PM

Like the new vehicle warranty Norton wants to charge you for every different aspect they can think of.
Posted By: mfergu8

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 05:10 PM

Been using McAfee for quite a few years, no issues yet.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 05:18 PM

McAfee here, happy with it for years now, that being said they all cost to up date when you expire, not getting around that. I always pay for a two year subscription with auto up dates, does not seem to cost as much next time around that way cause I'm mostly always updated !

As a side note sooner or later something will get by all of them, sometimes grand other times just a bit of a bug, best you can do is to up date, when addressed to do so, to me it's worth it as I feel they are the ones who make a living chasing protection for a living !
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Like the new vehicle warranty Norton wants to charge you for every different aspect they can think of.

And when a virus get through their software that is supposed to prevent that from happening, they are going to charge you again to remove it.

I dumped Norton years ago.

Went to Malwarebytes and have upgraded to Malwarebytes Premium and also added Malwarebytes Privacy which is their version of a VPN. Between that and Windows 10 Security that is part of Windows 10, I have not had any problem so far.

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 06:16 PM

It’s a real pain I’ve been getting these notices my protections about to end ( I’m sure it is) from McAfee and Norton both that must be spam but it’s tough to figure out. My PC says it protected now the notices say it ended earlier this week but I’m sure it’s about to end. Man I hate this tech BS.
Posted By: white17

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 06:23 PM

I quit Norton 20 years ago after my PC became infected while using Norton.

Since then I have only used Microsoft Security Essentials..free......Malwarebytes.........free, and Kaspersky.......free. Haven't had a problem in all that time....knock on wood
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 06:39 PM

Just put a mask on it.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 06:51 PM

McAfee here

Used iolo System Mechanic Pro suite for years until they raised annual price from $19.95 to $62.95

Norton was good when Mr. Norton had it. Not so much since Symantec absorbed it.

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 08:00 PM

Looked it up I have several months remaining on my current subscription the spam filter guy must be napping this month a lot is getting through lately.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 08:23 PM

I run avast.

First thing I do on every pc is delete whatever trial come with it
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Virus protection for PC - 02/28/21 08:49 PM

Windows defender here that came with the upgraded browser Pc protect before that no issues Had Norton Avast and Mcaffee Mcaffee was alright till they started charging my account every couple months for the same LOW yearly rate and was hard to get rid of
© 2024 Trapperman Forums