Home

Lightweight camping pad thats durable?

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 01:42 AM

Last year my daughter's let me use a self inflation camp pad

I wasn't impressed...

What is a decent durable one that is lightweight?
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 01:52 AM

There are 3 types, blow up, self inflating, and flat foam accordian style. I have used all 3 and prefer the blow up kind. A durable one that holds its air will be pricey.
Check out REI’s web sight for an idea what’s out there and decide from that.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 01:54 AM

Cabelas has a nice one.I own two of them.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 02:21 AM

Unless I was gonna hike too far to make two trips, I'd circle back and take an air mattress. The are far from light but I want to sleep when I lay down not pick rocks out of my but crack
Posted By: Ole

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 02:45 AM

Thermarest--Pretty durable but put a ripstop under it if not in a tent to protect it. Many sizes and thicknesses, depending on your requirements. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 03:07 AM

I use a z-rest. It's the folding foam kind. In the back woods I like laying by a campfire in the evening and one spark will put a hole in an air matress and render it useless. When I hunt from a back country camp in cold weather I use a full length under my sleeping bag and a have a 1/2 length that I carry to sit on during the day. At night the 1/2 length goes under the sleeping bag too. The folders take up a lot more space but don't weigh any more than an air matress and won't fail you.
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 03:09 AM

You can get a very light weight take down cot. Which is my preference. Just roll it up inside your sleeping bag.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 03:30 AM

A closed cell pad will keep you warmer than an air mattress but you'll find out where all the rocks are before daylight comes.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by cwtrapper
You can get a very light weight take down cot. Which is my preference. Just roll it up inside your sleeping bag.

I use one along with a Thermarest, won't sleep on the ground anymore.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 03:47 AM

Klymit static v has a model that is 30" wide, r-5, and not very heavy.....made for backpacking. Under 2# I believe. Bring a patch kit with you and know how to use it.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 04:00 AM

I stand by the old dense egg carton foam thermarest.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 04:04 AM

Thermarest. Hands down.

Some things spare no expense for quality rest. They can be rolled up tight, hold air very well, and insulate even on snow.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 04:07 AM

You can consider this a hijack and rightly so but this thing right here is the way to stay off the cold, lumpy ground. I've road out some nasty weather in this and was cozy as could be. Four season jobber from Clark Jungle Hammock.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 04:14 AM

I use a themarest 2" thick 3/4 length and is a blow up, just don't blow up too much or will be uncomfortable. There is a slight learning curve
Many good ones on market. Can use a piece of tyvek under your pad to help ward off pointy things trying to poke holes in yer pad.
A sleeping pill will help also but be careful in bear country, you could be half et before you wake up.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 04:28 AM

One thing to consider with a blow up is if it has foam in it like the self inflated it will absorb breath moisture. If below freezing temps after a while it is so iced up it’s hard to inflate
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 05:02 AM

The wife had some I liked them unroll and they filled up on their own a few added puffs of air and no sticks or rocks that you could feel under you.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 05:10 AM

I still like the old style blueish green closed cell ensolite pads like those that came out in the late 70's.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 05:39 AM

If you need lightweight cause you are gonna carry it in on your back, then Thermarest Z rest.

Otherwise....if this is about comfort......get a Wiggy's......as thick and comfortable as a self inflating Camp Rest, but without the air.

https://www.wiggys.com/ground-pads/

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Cabelas has a nice one.I own two of them.

Gee that tells me a lot tired

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Thermarest. Hands down.

Some things spare no expense for quality rest. They can be rolled up tight, hold air very well, and insulate even on snow.

I believe I'll look at these!

Thanks ,All
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Sharon
Thermarest. Hands down.

I believe I'll look at these!

Thanks ,All

Yep that’s the ones best sleep when your sleeping on sticks and rocks eating dirt. Seriously they do the job!
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 05:50 PM

EXped Mats. Have owned one of there mats they do not make anymore for around 8 years yet to have a hole in it or any problems. They are light and pack up small yet allow me to still sleep on my side without my hip touching the ground. My wife hates the cold and has one of there insulated ones and loves it.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Lightweight camping pad thats durable? - 03/01/21 06:45 PM

Take a sheet fold it in half and sew down the long side and one end, then fill it full of leaves(packed in leaves). Yeah its cheap, and you can only camp where the leaves are.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums