Home

Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question.

Posted By: warrior

Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 03:47 PM

I'm a nuisance trapper not a long liner but I do try to study and stay up to date on all aspects of trapping as I might find a nugget or two that helps catch the next trash panda.

Just studying up on past and present coon trapping styles I wonder, with the advent of the griz getter and all it's blatant copies, have coni boxes and footholds become obsolete?

If not please explain.

For me cages rule in the urban setting as live coon on a leash leaves trap circles in lawns and invites unwanted pet the nice coon from the neighbors. But the 220 gets broken out when the house is broken into.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 03:58 PM

I don't think they have become obsolete, I do think because of the DP, things have evolved a bit. DP's are easy, so they get used more. They are less likely to catch incidentals which makes them more attractive as well, especially in urban areas and in barns with cats and what not.

Coni's and footholds will still be used, good Lord willing trapping regs don't change. They are another tool in the tool box.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:01 PM

If you ever set a dog proof on a trail. Then set a blind foothold. Where you can see tracks and direction of travel. Dirt, snow, or mud. It’ll tell you that a fair percentage of raccoons will walk right by dps at times. The conibears blind early or in boxes late are still king compared to dog proof.

I’d say the guys that were still long lining coon still were pocket water trappers.

That being said if you’re ambitious and can keep things simple. Dog proofs can still pile up the raccoons. Are there better percentage sets I think the answer is yes. Can you run more dog proofs quicker and with more ease, I think the answer is yes.

At one point I ran about 170 dog proofs and could run a line in three hours. I could also have them all set in less than a full day of sun light. Throw in drive, ambition, and more dogproofs the sky is probably the limit.

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:02 PM

I absolutely agree on retaining every possible tool available. One thing I've learned in nuisance trapping is that each job targeting a specific problem animal is unique to that animal. Some are cage shy, some use specific routes, some are on a schedule and being able use a specific tool gets the job done that much quicker.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:03 PM

Too many misses with dps for me. When they literally walk by multiple dps on a trail to get caught with the same bait in a pocket set told me not to give up on blind set it your serious for predator control.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:03 PM

They all have their place

Just like the "Crescent wrench" didn't make the other tools obsolete
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I don't think they have become obsolete, I do think because of the DP, things have evolved a bit. DP's are easy, so they get used more. They are less likely to catch incidentals which makes them more attractive as well, especially in urban areas and in barns with cats and what not.

Coni's and footholds will still be used, good Lord willing trapping regs don't change. They are another tool in the tool box.

I think the same way. DPs aren't cat proof depending on the bait used. An example would be marshmallows won't attract cats, but coon, skunks, possum they will.

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
If you ever set a dog proof on a trail. Then set a blind foothold. Where you can see tracks and direction of travel. Dirt, snow, or mud. It’ll tell you that a fair percentage of raccoons will walk right by dps at times. The conibears blind early or in boxes late are still king compared to dog proof.

I’d say the guys that were still long lining coon still were pocket water trappers.

That being said if you’re ambitious and can keep things simple. Dog proofs can still pile up the raccoons. Are there better percentage sets I think the answer is yes. Can you run more dog proofs quicker and with more ease, I think the answer is yes.

At one point I ran about 170 dog proofs and could run a line in three hours. I could also have them all set in less than a full day of sun light. Throw in drive, ambition, and more dogproofs the sky is probably the limit.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was wondering. I've long suspected the DP had a little bit less draw based on my very limited use of coon cuffs vs cages and footholds. But like you say the more you put out there the better the odds which is why I'm an advocate of gang setting whatever I'm trying to catch.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:14 PM

The 220 is still my favorite coon trap. I like a dead, dry coon. I like to find trails along the roads going thru culverts or crossing the roads to corn fields. Set them after dark, mark them on the edge of the road with a chunk of concrete or something I can see and doesn't look odd to passers-by, and pick them up before daylight. Plus, they are great bobcat catchers too, especially in trails thru cattails.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 04:18 PM

When I work for Delta waterfowl I ran 250 boxes. Mostly 220 boxes but some 160. I got two dozen DPs and set them about four foot from the boxes, both with the same bait. Over the 120 day contract I only ever caught one coon in a DP rather then the box when the two were set together. When I set the DP's alone they had a very low catch rate. I do not feel a DP is as hot an item as some do. I would much rather set a cage trap or box than a DP. Cages ran my highest percent catch rate set in yards. A lot of that was due to that is the only place with trees, so it is a magnet for coon. Often the only trees on a section are at a farm site.
Posted By: PushCoTrapper

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Too many misses with dps for me. When they literally walk by multiple dps on a trail to get caught with the same bait in a pocket set told me not to give up on blind set it your serious for predator control.

Had the exact scenario happen a couple times this year. Convinced me DPs aren't the end all be all for coon trapping.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/01/21 05:42 PM

DP's 24 hour check, Body Grip no time limit.....gives me options.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 01:01 AM

Look up Ron Jones (Jonesie) past posts on burying DPs and try that. I suspect coon don’t know that the smell coming out of the ground is something to be avoided like they might with the DP upright on the ground. Jonesie explains things very well.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 01:10 AM

If nothing else, fresh dirt seems to be irresistible to coon.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 01:54 AM

I have coils, double longs, DPs, conibears, cages...and they have a place on my coon line.
No one trap is an end all-be all and ive learned variety is key with coon.
Jim
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 05:21 PM

I’ve had coons walk past a DP and get in my footholds and I’ve had coons walk past my footholds and get caught in DP’s. I can set a dozen DP’s a lot faster than I can a dozen footholds. This year I started using more DP’s around my footholds and it has saved some sets for me. I actually caught possums three nights in a row in a DP that was between two footholds. I don’t mind remakes on intended targets, but hate when a coon or possum messes up my “perfect” coyote/bobcat/fox set. Don’t get me wrong, they are all fair game and I’ll take them however I can, just prefer the coons and possums get in the DP’s lol.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 05:30 PM

Sold the dp's I had because like most here are saying, way better results with footholds.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 05:35 PM

[quote=warrior] have coni boxes and footholds become obsolete?

quote]

no way

I often used a bucket set in attics in conjunction with cages in the yard. At least in an attic ya don't need the roof to keep dogs out..lol.

as mentioned pocket sets and trail sets still rule
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 05:38 PM

Add in a couple good trailing scents to the DP across trails etc. Will make your catch rate go up^^^

Anise oil in Glycol , and or fish oil
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Is it even worth it any more, coon trap question. - 03/02/21 06:04 PM

I use a 1-2 punch

DP's and Coniboxes, baited differently and lure differently.

Foothold for coons in the water 1 1/2 coils
© 2024 Trapperman Forums