Home

weeds in asparagus

Posted By: scrapper

weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 12:28 PM

How do you guys control the weeds in your asparagus? My patch is starting to get overrun with thistles. I'm thinking a dose of round up before the asparagus comes up. Any other options?
Posted By: Tray

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 12:32 PM

Asparagus is a grass so you can use 2-4d or something similar when plants are growing.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 12:36 PM

Asparagus is also a seaweed so you can also use salt to kill invasive plants but it compacts the soil.
You can also use Preen to kill seeds when they germinate.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 12:42 PM

After a nice rain I pull the weeds the old fashion way, with my hands.
Posted By: sjc

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 12:44 PM

Rock salt.
Posted By: biotrapper

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 12:58 PM

you can dose with roundup before emerging heads appear, It will help. mulch also helps control weeds.
Posted By: nickb

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 01:03 PM

Send the wife out to weed the patch!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nickb
Send the wife out to weed the patch!

grin
Posted By: walleye101

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 04:49 PM

I've heard often about using salt on asparagus but have never heard how much. Is there a optimal treatment concentration?
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Asparagus is also a seaweed so you can also use salt to kill invasive plants but it compacts the soil.

I have the same problem with my asparagus. I've used Preen on other parts of my garden, but the asparagus. I was always afraid it might stop the asparagus from coming up. But, you say it won't?
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 05:05 PM

How big of a patch are you talking Thistle can be pulled before goes to seed if you plan to use a herbicide I would use Treflan which is a pre emergent and just stops seeds from germinating and is certified for agricultural use. Just use as directed and pay attention to soil conditions and moisture. I stay away from roundup it can really set back crops has residual and health concerns they are finding out about. Also I have used it close to asparagus and just a bit of wind drift it will turn asparagus yellow and wilt so even if you sprayed prior to asparagus coming up Im thinking you might not like what happens.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

I have the same problem with my asparagus. I've used Preen on other parts of my garden, but the asparagus. I was always afraid it might stop the asparagus from coming up. But, you say it won't?

Preen prevents seeds from germinating, it doesn't kill anything.

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 07:15 PM

Yep, I'll get right on that. LOL grin

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 07:19 PM

This patch is around 5 feet by 70 feet. I thought about covering it with black plastic for a couple weeks before the asparagus starts to come up to fry wha'ts already there. I'll check into the preen.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 07:32 PM

my grandparents had patches of asparagus about 6x30 and often had 2 going as one was fading the other starting

in the fall they would clean up the patches and lay down a layer of leaves they were about a 1/4 mile from my parents so our leaves would get raked and bagged and I would pull a cart behind my bike and bring them our leaves also. the bags of leaves would be set all around the asparagus patch then in the spring would replenish the leaves over the patch , few weeds grew and those that did were plucked mostly by hand.

once the season was over and a few good frosts grandma would take the lawn mower over the patch mulch it all up and then new leaves would be applied and bags of leaves around

asparagus will push through leaves but most of your weeds will be smothered

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by scrapper
This patch is around 5 feet by 70 feet. I thought about covering it with black plastic for a couple weeks before the asparagus starts to come up to fry wha'ts already there. I'll check into the preen.

If thistles are your problem, I doubt Preen is going to help. Their seeds have likely been germinated for some time.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 10:38 PM

Would anyone really spray 24-d on their garden? Salting, mulching and pulling a few weeds isnt hard, but it is way the f*&^ safer.

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 11:11 PM

2,4d isn’t poison.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 11:28 PM

Thistle rhizomes can travel 15 feet before they come up.
Spray the outside edge to slow the colony down.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
2,4d isn’t poison.

And round up is good for you and has no long term effects on soils life and health?

Chemicals have no place on my farm. I'm not a trusting sort of individual.

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/03/21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
2,4d isn’t poison.

And round up is good for you and has no long term effects on soils life and health?

Chemicals have no place on my farm. I'm not a trusting sort of individual.

No one really asked, or cares frankly. People were offering helpful advice to someone asking for ideas. If you don’t want to follow the same advice, thats fine. Again, no one asked you nor do we care.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/04/21 12:31 AM

M. M
Sorry I hurt your feelings. I forgot not all trappers can handle difference opinions. You claimed it's not poison. So won't have any bad affects. Those same claimed were made about other chemicals by ther company's for years even after they knew they were infact harmful.

So I offered a different prospective. I don't care what you use or if you drink it. I was giving the op something to think about before contaminating his land.

I respect your prospective to bad you don't seem to be able to do the same. Thats the world we live in today.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/04/21 11:11 AM

2,4d isn’t poison.

serious? I have used it, smelled it, tasted it. I can not even be around it anymore.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/05/21 01:27 AM

Thistle is a biennial and tough to get rid of and around here asparagus comes up first. mulching always helps especially with perennials like Asparagus and will get it up quicker and keep it from frost killing. Maybe keep after the thistle cutting it and sooner or later you will get it in check.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/05/21 02:31 AM

Canada or russian Thistle is a perennial and keeps on growing
perennial sow thistle can go for several years, most people misplace it as wild lettuce
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/05/21 03:03 AM

FIL uses salt...swears by it!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: weeds in asparagus - 03/05/21 03:10 AM

Preen is labeled for Asparagus and I am going to use it this spring on that and the raspberries.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums