Home

Maple syrup ... first go

Posted By: jeffr

Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 12:37 AM

First year trying the maple syrup process. Satisfied with the results so far. Small scale stuff but should last us awhile [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: k snow

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 12:55 AM

Looks great. Some day I'd like to give it a try.
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 12:59 AM

Nice! That’s the size of setup I need, well done.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 02:12 PM

Nice!
That is pretty much how my cookers are set up only bit cruder. Who made your pan up for you? is it stainless.. I used steam table pans because having a stainless pan made like yours looks to be.. Would have cost more than what I wanted to spend. I do have the base pan out of the old steam table I bought. Decided not to use it because it leaked on corners..Roughly how many gallons is your pan?

Mac
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 03:25 PM

looks awfully pale.

how do you test to see if its been boiled enough?
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
looks awfully pale.

how do you test to see if its been boiled enough?

Grade A amber
7 degrees above boiling at your location or a hydrometer.
Posted By: jeffr

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 03:56 PM

It is very light in color but is delicious. My understanding is that it is not out of the ordinary, it’s just a time of the year thing. Anyone have any thoughts on this that are experienced? I took it to 219 which is 7 above at my sea level
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by jeffr
It is very light in color but is delicious. My understanding is that it is not out of the ordinary, it’s just a time of the year thing. Anyone have any thoughts on this that are experienced? I took it to 219 which is 7 above at my sea level

That early boiled sap is usually lighter and it gets darker as the season goes on. The lighter the better for me, but some prefer the darker stuff.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Maple syrup ... first go - 03/04/21 05:19 PM

The very light amber color is the preferred and more valuable syrup. Usually comes earlier in the season. I prefer the later season sap syrup which is darker and has even more maple flavor. The candy and confectionary industry likes the very light colored syrup. We collected 194 gallons of 3.3 sugar content sap from about 300 trees yesterday. Left a bit more than that in the form of ice however. Looks good for Friday-Sunday, maybe a bit too warm middle of the week.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums