Home

Flat tires

Posted By: SpottedOwl

Flat tires - 03/06/21 04:48 AM

I’ve seen a lot of things inside tires causing a flat. Wrenches, pliers, 14" of rebar, sticks, rocks, saw chain all kinds of stuff.

Finally got around to fixing a slow leak and this is what I found. This was a first for the several other guys in the shop.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anyone else find anything good in a tire?

Owl
Posted By: adam m

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 05:37 AM

Wow. So many questions
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 05:58 AM

Could have been a major blow out eh?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 06:28 AM

I got a house key in a tire once it let the air out quick thought that is a weird sound oh I have a flat

otherwise just the normal , bolts, nails ,staples

I am kinda surprised the bullet didn't push into the case , must be a compressed load now
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 06:33 AM

Looks to be in the sidewall. Strange.
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 07:29 AM

No customer, it’s my tire. Been a really slow leak over a couple months. Finally got tired of it and had time to fix it. The case looks pretty beat up and dented like it’d been kicked around a while before I picked it up. Glad it wasn’t a more destructive situation, like beaver said. Must have hit just right somehow. There’s worn green paint or coating on the bullet itself. This is the last thing I expected to find. I have a lot of questions too.

Owl
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 11:55 AM

Even in that condition, with the current market, that bullet should still be worth approximately $13.78 in today’s world. Nice find!!!!!
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 11:56 AM

Yeah, and just think what the primers is worth...
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 11:58 AM

That is crazy.

WS
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 12:05 PM

Pulled a valve stem from a big truck (semi) tire out of my wife's tires some months ago and plugged it. She has another slow leak in a different tire and I did the soapy water/spray bottle thing and located it. There's something metal in there. I'll have to fix it her next day off.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw99
Even in that condition, with the current market, that bullet should still be worth approximately $13.78 in today’s world. Nice find!!!!!

grin
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 01:26 PM

Besides the normal odds and ends in tires I found a large washer wedged in the tread sideways just enough for a slow leak but took two plugs to fix
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 02:00 PM

Just rocks, rocks and more rocks for me. Each of the last three years on the trap line
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 02:22 PM

I took a blade from a Buck knife out of one once. Handle must have snapped off. Didn't look intentional , just random.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 03:38 PM

At a tire shop I saw where a piece of one of those metal bases with the reflectors that are between the lanes came off and destroyed a tire. Not mine thankfully!!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 04:10 PM

I found deer antlers in several tractor/floater tires. They don't break.
I carry tire plugs in my vehicle all the time. Best invention ever. I even like to plug 12 ply truck tires.
About 30 years ago BF Goodrich made tractor tires that were so soft that dry cornstalks would puncture through them. Lots of service calls.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 04:20 PM

Deer antler in my rear tractor tire.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Flat tires - 03/06/21 11:58 PM

A buddy found a weed stem in a tire, was a slow leak tire shop guys said they saw a good many of em.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by SpottedOwl
I’ve seen a lot of things inside tires causing a flat. Wrenches, pliers, 14" of rebar, sticks, rocks, saw chain all kinds of stuff.

Finally got around to fixing a slow leak and this is what I found. This was a first for the several other guys in the shop.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anyone else find anything good in a tire?

Owl

Dang that will do it.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 12:07 AM

Didn’t puncture the tire, but I ran over a porcupine years ago, and had pieces of quills still stuck in the inside sidewall till I wore the tire out.
Posted By: Starbits

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 12:27 AM

Dad had a puncture from a rattlesnake tooth once. Guy who fixed is said it was only the 2nd time in 30 years he had seen that.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 01:30 PM

Had a chuck steak bone go through an old 16.5 heavy ply truck tire, Now you know how they killed Mammoths, lol
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 01:51 PM

Found spark plugs, pen knife, in tires. Then when I was a young starting out gas jockey tire repair kid at the local gas station. I had a flat tire to patch, from the inside and rebalance. Pickup had Canadian plates. When breaking tire down the owner and passenger stood right next to me, kinda weird but happens. Noticed a lot of wheel weights in one spot on the back side. When I got tire on the spreader I seen a plastic bag taped inside the tire....Guy leans in to me puts a folded $50 in my hand and said hurry up and fix my tire, we got to get home. In the late 70's $50 was some cash. I fixed that tire, rebalanced, remember bubble balancers? And put the tire back on the truck. I noticed lots of weights on the other back tire as I put the patched one on the rear. No idea what that bag was.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Starbits
Dad had a puncture from a rattlesnake tooth once. Guy who fixed is said it was only the 2nd time in 30 years he had seen that.

Wow
Posted By: bogio

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by SpottedOwl
There’s worn green paint or coating on the bullet itself. Owl

.223 M855. Steel core penetrator round.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Flat tires - 03/07/21 03:13 PM

Did you save that round? With ammo prices you don't want to throw it away. Could probably sell it to one of the new gun owning Democrats as a super special penetration round for $5.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums