Home

couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon...

Posted By: NonPCfed

couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 12:48 AM

My friend has a couple of farmsteads in his family's farm and has borrowed a few of my coon cubbies the last few years to clear out some coon to save potential damage to their operation. He has no interest in doing anything with them so he brings them to me. Of the 9 he brought me this winter, most stretched 3xl or larger. There was a lower quality 2xl (probably I-II on the NAFA grading system), that one got skinned out and put in the freezer for me to play around later with some fur project. There was also 1 "dink". I first thought I'd take the back legs for meat because I have a non-hunter, non-trapper who wants to try eating coon, but skinning it out, there really wasn't a lot of meat there and the critter had been dead 2-3 days, so I decided to pass. The dink's fur however, was pretty thick--much thicker than most dink's fur, although this was later winter and not November. It also had good color, similar to a nice looking 3xl sow I put up, so I decided to finish the dink and see what it brings. I'm still hoping to catch some mrats here shortly so perhaps I'll try a bag of some coons and rats to FHA and see what August brings. If nothing else its an experiment...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 12:50 AM

Might fine.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 12:56 AM

Nice job.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 12:57 AM

I usually put those up since they are fast and easy to do.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 01:01 AM

I caught one like that and it is at the taxidermy shop getting mounted. It will be in a coffee table that is donated for a raffle at our MTA Legal Defense Banquet. I will post pics when it is done

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 01:38 AM

I caught one like that and it is at the taxidermy shop getting mounted. It will be in a coffee table that is donated for a raffle at our MTA Legal Defense Banquet. I will post pics when it is done

Outstanding!
Posted By: Boco

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 01:41 AM

If it was me I would tan it,make a nice hat out of it and sell the hat for $220.
You said the fur was prime and nice colour-in that case size does not matter at all.Prime and good colour is all that counts.

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 04:02 AM

If it was me I would tan it,make a nice hat out of it and sell the hat for $220.
You said the fur was prime and nice colour-in that case size does not matter at all.Prime and good colour is all that counts.

Boco- You're assuming I could make a hat. And you assume that a coon skin hat can sell for $225 anywhere. I have lots of half tanned coon skins. I'll try your recommendation with some of those and tell how it works for me...
Posted By: lcd

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 12:31 PM

I put up all my "dinks" and donate them to our association's fur sale. I suspect some of the buyers sale them to "crafts" people. Helps me sleep better, and nothing goes to waste. Can't turn out as they are drown. The farmers ain't got no time for "dinks" eating their corn and beans any more than the do them old 3X ones.

Re: couldn't help myself- put up a 1xl coon... - 03/08/21 01:40 PM

I put up all my "dinks" and donate them to our association's fur sale. I suspect some of the buyers sale them to "crafts" people. Helps me sleep better, and nothing goes to waste. Can't turn out as they are drown. The farmers ain't got no time for "dinks" eating their corn and beans any more than the do them old 3X ones.

That is the truth. A dink that survives its first winter will be a larger coon that might chew through a farm watering line before being caught the next trapping season. Or tear up most of the insulation in a wall for next year's wintering den...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums