Home

Rats not wanting bait

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 09:11 AM

So long story short rats have had zero interest in any bait I've been trying, peanut butter , bacon grease,corn ,dog food bacon grease candy ect. They will come to the wooden boxes I put my rat traps in sniff a little and walk way. Any ideas what I can do ? Been considering getting some if those RGB round conibers and stuffing them in PVC pipe and putting them in entrenches and runs where I think there going. Tried my little double for traps but baited thy won't hit the triggers, they will eat the food in one side then wald about and eat it from the other won't even try to touch the trigger wires.
[Linked Image]

Mabye I should get some of that fancy adc bait from WCS mabye ? I was nailing the pack rats with my boxes for a good little while but these barn rats seem to be moving in and just don't wanna play
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 09:58 AM

Sticky trap? They're effective when other methods may not work.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 10:18 AM

Trap prep? Bedding? Dye and wax or paint dip? Wearing gauntlets? Knee boot? Scent control? Pan tension? That aint no Possum, may have to up your game????
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 10:20 AM

Seriously, try a dog proof with a night latch or hair trigger !! What have you got to lose?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 11:47 AM

Rats are neophobic, they're afraid of new things, especially if they see a buddy killed in something new.

I had the same problem.

The cats took care of it for me.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:02 PM

Sean on Rat Trap Monday has a video on those. Use the traps with wide yellow trigger in the box as shown......don't set the trap.......do throw a few sunflower seeds in the back.

Once they get over fear of the new trap and are eating the seeds regular, then arm the trap. He built a box like that with 10 traps in it and got 10 the first night, and almost that many the 2nd.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:04 PM

Get the trap out of that box and set up tight to the wall.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:07 PM

I would think tuned 110 with pan trigger would do the same.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:10 PM

I bet they saw the pack rats in there ,Dead.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

2X
If there's blood on the trap, wash it off.
Move the trap after each catch.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:41 PM

Rats are very smart. Ive had some it took a month to catch. Set every type trap including box traps. Gave up set traps off, took a box trap that had egg in it put on top of cut off saw table. Forgot about it, was still set. Came by bout week later rat dead in trapbox....go figure. But got him.
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:44 PM

Wolfdog, Try using Hersheys syrup . I have had luck with that when they wont hit any other baits.
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 01:48 PM

Also try a bedded and covered number one longspring in a travel run , blind set . blended well . Gets em every time!
Posted By: MJM

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 02:12 PM

Fatty meat is a good rat bait. Fresh ground pork. They can be a pain to deal with. I don't know if you could get rid of them with traps if there are many.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/08/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Rats are neophobic, they're afraid of new things, especially if they see a buddy killed in something new.

I had the same problem.

The cats took care of it for me.

Rats are tough because of this. Spooky of anything new and dead compadres will make them trap shy. I have a lot of trail cam video/pics of them not quite commiting to cages, snap traps and an overpriced A24.

I dumped $200 on that A24. It has never killed a rat even though they've stuck their head up the tunnel. Always just shy of triggering the trip wire. The A24 is expensive but it works as an effective mouse trap. I have a handful of traps from India called a "Black Cat". That trap is a rat killer but if you leave it in the same spot it'll only get one/two before the others avoid it.

I wouldn't keep adding new stuff to the same location. I'd take the trap out of the box, put the trigger side up against the wall and keep it baited. Add new sets at different locations. Rat trapping is a PIA but you gotta keep at it and have patience.

ETA- a DP baited with wet COB can be effective for rats.

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/09/21 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by HayDay
I would think tuned 110 with pan trigger would do the same.

I'm look had at getting some of the expands pan pan triggers strictly for this

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/09/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by bobsheedy
Originally Posted by Bruce T

2X
If there's blood on the trap, wash it off.
Move the trap after each catch.

These are fresh traps and boxes zero catches in this one
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/09/21 01:23 AM

Wolfdog i can loan you a few 120’s with pans. You can mail them back in a couple weeks. PM me your address. You can surly knock a couple box’s together with scraps. Put a trap in each end. Try baiting with raisons
Posted By: old243

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/09/21 01:33 AM

Would a drowning set , 5 gallon pail half full of water . bait on a pop can on wire..Stick leaning up on it, for a runway Works for mice real good. Use Rv antifreeze if weather is freezing.. old243
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/09/21 01:41 AM

Strawberry jam and let them have room to get in the box before they get to the trap
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/09/21 01:41 AM

Or 22 with bird shot from a chair stand

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/11/21 08:06 PM

Thanks for the tips y'all got the big one today, tossed some dog food in the back and over the trap
[Linked Image]

Dang thing could not trigger that 5x5 at all though
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/11/21 08:18 PM

Use blind trail sets in the open theyll run through the 110 and should get caught or bend the triggers down like apanthey will stand on the triggers
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/12/21 02:42 AM

The block baits they sell to poison rats is designed to kill the rat slowly so that it can get far away from the area where the bait is placed.
They do this so that the other rats won't associate the bait with death. Rats are intelligent, distrustful and too many times, lucky.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/12/21 02:48 AM

Is there a powder you can put down, they walk in it, lick feet, die?
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/12/21 03:57 AM

With the Victor snap traps putting a wedge underneath the springs increases the power and sensitivity. Adding a chin bar increases kills.

The Best Rat Trap I Have Ever Tested. The Uhlik Repeater Trap. Mousetrap Monday.
(Posted one year ago)
https://youtu.be/i2PSDVsZ38U

The Best Way To Trap Rats. The Ultimate Rat Trapping System. Mousetrap Monday
https://youtu.be/LrgiTI3pC7M

The All Time Best Rat Trap I Have Ever Tested. Dunk The Rat Trap In Action.
(Posted 3 years ago)
https://youtu.be/YfaDQJVplYI

How To STOP Rats From STEALING bait with the Bait Cage. Mousetrap Monday
https://youtu.be/bf-bVSJo6lU

Innovative!
Trapping mice with a balloon.
https://youtu.be/-mdUQ9Qhuxs

Joseph Carter the Mink Man:

Record SHATTERING Ratting Run!
https://youtu.be/goVfJhuIxiI

Mink vs Rat THUNDERDOME!!!
https://youtu.be/vvzZLI04_is
Posted By: bjansma

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/12/21 04:35 AM

tracking powder is a restricted use pesticide. Can't get without a license. Need to store records of its use for I think two years. Not worth it.

Next time try nesting material. Cotton balls work, but better is something that smells like an animal. I will cut up a towel that I keep in the bucket of raccoon pups, etc. They will walk past bacon to get killed on the trap with the nesting material.
Posted By: gregh

Re: Rats not wanting bait - 03/12/21 09:13 AM

The rats are not hungry, they may need a water source so give them a liquid bait.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums