Home

That was CLOSE!

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 09:55 PM

So I’m helping my son cut some small trees down from around the house. They have briars and vines all wrapped up in them. My saw is running a bit high at idle but I don’t give it much thought, just slap the chain brake on it when not in use. That is until I go to catch a limb and dodge a vine.

I’d like to think it was my cat like reflexes but I have to give this one to the Lord. Thank you Jesus!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithC

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:00 PM

I cut the same pair of jeans twice like that. I think that's why a lot of guys wear chaps when running a chainsaw.

Keith
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:16 PM

Chaps are cheap.

WS
Posted By: mike mason

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:17 PM

Where are your chaps? Never ever run a saw without protective chaps , forestry helmet and Kevlar boots.
Posted By: LCoutdoorsman333

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:19 PM

got nice scar on my knee cap from a saw. i was cutting up a limb and it almost fell on me. found out a knee cap is pretty darn tough. didn't feel a thing happened so fast in really cold weather. sure did bleed real good. didn't feel so good for week. saws don't stop in cold weather like normal. learned the hard way. i wear chaps no matter when im running my saw now. just never know. small brush and vines are the worst the chains fly off in a second. glad your okay.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:27 PM

I did not feel a thing, who about you!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:43 PM

Thats chain need sharpening.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:53 PM

Years ago, my son decided to help me out and take down a sizeable oak tree that was showing signs of oak wilt. I wasn't home (I was working) and he manages to cut himself across his thigh pretty good. Luckily it was a new, sharp chain and thankfully his sister was in the house and able to drive home to the ER.
So, my wife was working on 9th floor of the same hospital and gets a call that her son is in the ER. She gets down there as fast as she can, walks into the treatment room where he's getting sewn up and he says to his mother, with a big grin on his face, "Look Mom, this will be a really cool scar!". True story.
My wife was thankful he was alright, turned around a bit perplexed and went back to work.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 10:59 PM

Nearly lost a friend to a severe chainsaw cut to the leg. Made it out of the bush to a landline and got his 911 call in before losing consciousness.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 11:25 PM

Had a buddy cut right across the face sawing overhead I wear face shield chaps hard hat and ear muffs. Love being able to see hear hate surgery bills love life
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Posted By: mike mason

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/13/21 11:53 PM

A friend was" holding" a piece of wood with his boot (non Kevlar lined) and cut through the boot. When he went to the e room they pored 3 of his toes out on the floor. Too much damage to reattach.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

Harsh but prolly true.

Hobbie you would only need that leg if you don't know how to float thru the gears. It is the other foot keeps em whislin and blowin black smoke LOL. Glad you are ok
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 03:54 AM

MAKE SURE...guns, vehicles, and chainsaws run properly! If not, DO NOT USE THEM! Glad everyone is ok.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
So I’m helping my son cut some small trees down from around the house. They have briars and vines all wrapped up in them. My saw is running a bit high at idle but I don’t give it much thought, just slap the chain brake on it when not in use. That is until I go to catch a limb and dodge a vine.

I’d like to think it was my cat like reflexes but I have to give this one to the Lord. Thank you Jesus!

[Linked Image]

Ive been meaning to get chaps for awhile now. Im religious with the brake, but crap happens for sure.
Glad youre good Hobbie.
Posted By: adam m

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by furstroker

[Linked Image]

Ive been meaning to get chaps for awhile now. Im religious with the brake, but crap happens for sure.
Glad youre good Hobbie.

X2

Couple weeks back I cut down my cherry tree and thought man I keep forgetting to buy chaps.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 05:07 AM

while your at it get a hard hat with ear protection and a face shield

I took a good crack in the face today left jaw the limb caught as the skid loader was backing out with a pile of brush spun and hit my hard hat , ear protection and then caught my jaw. no blood , I am sure it would have been worse if it hadn't hit the hard hat and ear muff first.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 06:07 AM

Ruined a pair of jeans like that... And a pair of nice Carhartt bibs. Didn't draw any blood but took a serious browbeating from every woman (and not a few of the men) in the family.

The chaps are chump change compared to an ER visit.

The chaps are chump change compared to surgery.

The chaps are chump change compared to lost wages.

The chaps are chump change compared to a funeral.

I'm pretty certain the chaps were cheaper than that pair of Carhartt bibs I ripped the knee out of.

We need everybody to stay alive... Democrats don't need new voters.

Mike
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
MAKE SURE...guns, vehicles, and chainsaws run properly! If not, DO NOT USE THEM! Glad everyone is ok.

I would say it was running OK......

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Hobbie you would only need that leg if you don't know how to float thru the gears. It is the other foot keeps em whislin and blowin black smoke LOL. Glad you are ok

How’d I do? lol

Posted By: Redknot

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 12:33 PM

Chaps can be a pain as they catch on what seems like everything...I have gone to the chainsaw pants they have now..

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 12:53 PM

I am guilty of not wearing those chaps most of the time when I pick up a saw and thats a lot of times every week. When I see pictures like these and think .. I am glad nothing worse happened and I should wear chaps etc. ... next time I pick that saw up .... the chaps will be in the workshop and me under some tree thinking up the next excuse not to wear them. I am glad that you are Ok Hobbie. Still that chain needs sharpening grin
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 02:39 PM

Chaps, Chaps, Chaps. If you nick the femoral artery in your upper leg, you can kiss it goodbye. Go to, https://www.baileysonline.com
They're the go to website for anything logging related, from chainsaws to shoelaces. Labonville brand chaps are the most popular bang for your buck on just about every wood cutting forum. Less than $100 for a full wrap set. I love mine, they are flexible but tough, filled with kevlar. They're especially nice for cutting in area with a lot of stickers.

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 03:47 PM

I appreciate all the safety tips. I went to school when shop lathes didn’t even have yellow and black paint on them much less a guard. Old habits are hard to break.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Where are your chaps? Never ever run a saw without protective chaps , forestry helmet and Kevlar boots.

Really?

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/14/21 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter

Really?

I was thinking the same thing. I can just see me know. The missus wanted a sapling gone behind the coop.

Hold on darling let me get dressed for the occasion first. Talk about a dolt in shining armor.
laugh

Lets be a little realistic. we all do it. For the little stuff you grab the saw and get the job done without all the gear on.

When we moved the chicken coop, I had to cut a couple of 2X6's. Ya think I got the chaps and helmet out for that. ( apart from the fact that the little saw lives in a scabbard on the tractor )and the chaps stayed at home in the workshop.
By the by, I don't put-on a carpenters tool belt either when I have to put a nail in a wall to hang a picture.

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 03:35 AM

How’d I do? lol

You handle that Kadywhopper ok I guess but do you have a diaper on yer head and a prayer mat?

Do NOT got into a TA of Flyin J on the big road- you and I no longer fit in Hobbie. I'm just sayin.

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 09:31 AM

You handle that Kadywhopper ok I guess but do you have a diaper on yer head and a prayer mat?

Do NOT got into a TA of Flyin J on the big road- you and I no longer fit in Hobbie. I'm just sayin.

lol, no diaper but I have been known to wrap my noggin’ when it’s cold and windy. Does a yoga mat count?
Posted By: Mac

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 10:10 AM

what Mike said. Everyone over thinks their abilities and reflexes. Running a chain is dangerous business. I run one a lot.

Please stay safe.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 11:28 AM

I cut firewood to heat the house for years with nothing but ear protection, sometimes. When my kids were in middle school they bought me a helmet with ear and face protection. The first tree I cut after getting the helmet had a dead limb fall and hit the helmet, It hit so hard it rung my bell and tore the right ear muff off. I came home and showed the broke helmet to the kids. Told them “now that’s a gift, no way aftershave and new t shirt could save your life!” Lol
I try to wear chaps and helmet all the time now but still catch myself without one or the other occasionally.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 02:10 PM

I wear chaps all the time now after I cut near my knee.
Can happen fast.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 02:29 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Cha...a1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

order some today!
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 02:30 PM

glad you are OK

Re: That was CLOSE! - 03/17/21 03:14 PM

lol, no diaper but I have been known to wrap my noggin’ when it’s cold and windy. Does a yoga mat count?

2021 I think we can accept that answer as no doubt everyone will view you as woke that is until you quote the Old Testamat and then they will not doubt riot mostly peacefullywhistle
© 2024 Trapperman Forums