Home

Stolen, but by what?

Posted By: Lancedamask

Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 02:47 AM

Just lost both my 220 conibears I had set in legal boxes to a thief, my first thought was a human but now I'm thinking maybe it was coyotes? they were wired off pretty good but designed to hold a coon not a coyote yanking on one. My thinking is maybe they both caught a coon and a coyote drug them off, my buckets were still there but one was moved pretty far and the other was messed with, I had weasel sets close by and those were still there so that's why I'm thinking coyote I'm probably going to go back and walk in a search pattern and try to find them.

Called the DNR, they just took my name and what was stolen and gave it to the local police
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 02:49 AM

Maybe a coyote you never know but i had a cage trap stolen not to long ago and the next day someone returned it maybe your traps will show ip to
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 02:49 AM

I've lost them to bears in the past but it's too early I imagine in Michigan. Highly unlikely coyotes.

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 02:51 AM

Thought about bears maybe they are waking up around now but we have a very low population around here.
Posted By: Trapping U.P.

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 02:59 AM

Hmmm. Was the wire broken off or was it completely gone?

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:32 AM

One was gone and the other was broken off/untied/pulled free I think the first one was wrapped pretty well to the trap. Had flagging with rabbit strips to hold lure about 3 feet in a tree and it was pulled down and shreaded.

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:33 AM

That is odd
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Trapping U.P.
That is odd

Yes it is

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:43 AM

Yote would be trap shy enough to not do that I would think. I could be wrong but you could probly rule them out

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:44 AM

A 220 in a bucket would make a coyote pretty cautious
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:47 AM

Time for a hidden trail camera

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 04:13 AM

I'm not thinking a coyote stuck his head in the bucket I'm thinking he found a coon in it and decided to take it elsewhere for lunch
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 04:26 AM

If a yote actually stuck its head through a 220 and it neck caught the beast, I doubt it would have gotten far before it was done for. Speaking from painful experience this winter...

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 04:39 AM

Yeah that's why I didn't anchor so well because I figured anything that enters the trap is going to die so I didn't worry about it too much. Then again if it was human it didn't matter...
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 05:31 AM

If not a 2 leg critter my next guess would be a dog.

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 05:44 AM

I'm going to walk circles around it next time I'm there and try to find any sign of them
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 07:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Don’t give them all so much credit about being trap shy and smart!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 08:58 AM

I'd bet on human since both traps were gone.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 11:32 AM

Pretty obvious..... its a sasquatch. Lol
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 11:41 AM

What were you trapping for with 220s this time of year?
Posted By: EdP

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 11:56 AM

A detailed and expanded search sounds like the right approach. I've had a similar thing happen and it was just a coon that didn't expire immediately and fought the trap hard. Never had a coon taken by a yote or eaten on at the trap site despite plenty of opportunity.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 12:29 PM

That's why I anchor all my body grips to keep them where set. I have stake swivels and in line swivels on them. If I am going to anchor to a tree I use 3/32 cable. Wire is to hold your muffler up. Take a dog along if you have one.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lancedamask
Thought about bears maybe they are waking up around now but we have a very low population around here.

I saw a young bear in a clear cut here yesterday, there is only 2-3 inches snow on the flat,
The spring coat sure does shine in the sunlight.

Osky
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:23 PM

One was gone and the other was broken off/untied/pulled free I think the first one was wrapped pretty well to the trap. Had flagging with rabbit strips to hold lure about 3 feet in a tree and it was pulled down and shreaded.

Bobcat season closed Feb.1

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

Bobcat season closed Feb.1

I think he was going after coon

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 03:57 PM

Yep they were for coon, can't trap bobcat with conibears in the LP and can't trap them here because we don't have many.
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/15/21 04:26 PM

Be sure to update us on the search.

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/16/21 01:10 AM

Alright so i searched for them earlier, didn't find them but also didn't find any blood or anything around them so I'm thinking 2 legged thief. No "catch circle" type of thing and no bear tracks or claw marks.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/16/21 01:31 AM

Same happened with me. 330 with a beaver in it. Had it wired good but not good enough for a bear.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Stolen, but by what? - 03/16/21 01:44 AM

The ol timers used to say stake a trap down for the larges critter that could get into it. If he pulls out you still have a trap
© 2024 Trapperman Forums