Home

Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/15/21 11:08 PM

The Senate approved anti-trapper Haaland by a vote of 51-40. Four Republicans joined in voting for her
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/15/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
The Senate approved anti-trapper Haaland by a vote of 51-40. Four Republicans joined in voting for her

Which Republicans?
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/15/21 11:21 PM

Lindsey Graham, Susan Collins, and the two Alaska senators.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/15/21 11:24 PM

Another blow mad
Bad enough the anti bill in NM just passed and is on its last leg, now this.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/15/21 11:51 PM

Maybe time to send a delegation of tribal elders to "inform" her how much trapping and hunting are sacred activities for native Americans.

(And of course I take the Oxford dictionary's definition of "native" as one having been born in a place).
Posted By: hippie

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 12:52 AM

Surprised both Alaska senators voted yes.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Maybe time to send a delegation of tribal elders to "inform" her how much trapping and hunting are sacred activities for native Americans.

(And of course I take the Oxford dictionary's definition of "native" as one having been born in a place).

Won't have to, if she closes trapping on public lands, won't effect the native americans, as most of their treaties give them gathering rights for ever.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 03:06 AM

Good ole Lindsy Graham???
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 03:16 AM

This is not just an Alaskan issue. Virtually the entire length of the Mississippi River where it forms the Wisconsin border is comprised of lands and waters under the jurisdiction of the USFWS. Her anti-trapping stance could be a real problem for anyone on USFWS properties.

Moosetrot
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
This is not just an Alaskan issue. Virtually the entire length of the Mississippi River where it forms the Wisconsin border is comprised of lands and waters under the jurisdiction of the USFWS. Her anti-trapping stance could be a real problem for anyone on USFWS properties.

Moosetrot

and anywhere else -- OUT WEST -- where we actually have a fair amount of PUBLIC ground.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 11:29 AM

Wow
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 04:39 PM

Hard times very hard times. Hard to believe how vulnerable we are at the hands of these Democrats liberals. Sullivan is getting ripped for his vote. Buckle up it's going to be a rough ride.

I was also able to get a firm commitment from her to meet personally with a wide variety of Alaskans from many different backgrounds, including the following groups:

People of King Cove and the North Slope Borough
Mining community
Oil and gas workers and North Slope contractors
Hunters, trappers, and angling community, and State of Alaska fish and game managers
Alaska Native leaders, including tribal leaders, the Alaska Federation of Natives (AFN), regional and village corporations.
Alaska veterans
The purpose of these meetings will generally be the same: to let Congresswoman Haaland hear directly from hundreds of Alaskans that the decisions she ends up making about our state—for example, on the Willow project in the National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska—will directly impact the lives of thousands of Alaskans, either positively or negatively.

https://mustreadalaska.com/sullivan...tion-releases-statement-explaining-vote/
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 04:47 PM

She is only half "native"....the other half is European....I forget exactly what. As usual, she is using race as the card to be in vogue for the votes.

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
She is only half "native"....the other half is European....I forget exactly what. As usual, she is using race as the card to be in vogue for the votes.

Norwegian.

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 05:55 PM

I wonder how she can ban trapping on federal land. Is it from a flick of a pen or does it have to go to some type of vote or committee.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 06:00 PM

If she can do that the Horicon marsh will be history when It comes to rat trapping.

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 06:17 PM

She'll do something, even if it isn't right.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 07:47 PM

Terrible...especially the Republicans that voted for her.

I'm sure not seeing a lot of posts here from the Pre-Nov Anti Trump crowd on how well "their guy" is doing. Good grief.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 08:11 PM

The federal government would be taking away the primary tool the state uses to manage furbearers. What is the underlying federal interest that allows them to do that? I'd like to see the Feds have to answer that question in court.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
Hard times very hard times. Hard to believe how vulnerable we are at the hands of these Democrats liberals. Sullivan is getting ripped for his vote. Buckle up it's going to be a rough ride.

I was also able to get a firm commitment from her to meet personally with a wide variety of Alaskans from many different backgrounds, including the following groups:

People of King Cove and the North Slope Borough
Mining community
Oil and gas workers and North Slope contractors
Hunters, trappers, and angling community, and State of Alaska fish and game managers
Alaska Native leaders, including tribal leaders, the Alaska Federation of Natives (AFN), regional and village corporations.
Alaska veterans
The purpose of these meetings will generally be the same: to let Congresswoman Haaland hear directly from hundreds of Alaskans that the decisions she ends up making about our state—for example, on the Willow project in the National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska—will directly impact the lives of thousands of Alaskans, either positively or negatively.

In today's World, anything is possible. My question is, would or could she could shut down all public access to that area by reassigning or designating it as "native or tribal" lands? . . . I realize the thought is outside the box, but stranger things have happened.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 08:22 PM

In my situation on the Upper Mississippi River the Feds do not have the staff nor the money to manage populations in the resource. Even with trapping as it is, the Beaver are pretty much ruining the backwater areas.

Moosetrot
Posted By: waggler

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 08:53 PM

An interesting read. I hope Sullivan's strategy works.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 08:58 PM

The US Department of the Interior doesn't manage all Federal lands, but most of them. For some strange reason US Forest Service lands are managed by the US Department of Agriculture. US Corps of Engineers lands are US Army not Department of the Interior.
Posted By: AKtrapper26

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 09:12 PM

Absolute nightmare. Just what the NPS needed...
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 10:00 PM

God help us
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 11:39 PM

sounds like she is against , all hunting trapping ,and grazing and the land , this is going to get real bad mad
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/16/21 11:47 PM

Found this on the inter-web.....

"Nine senators were absent from the vote, and four Republicans-Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan of Alaska, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, and Susan Collins of Maine-sided with Democrats to approve Haaland’s confirmation. Haaland is the country’s first Native American cabinet secretary."[i][/i]

I know I contacted both of my Republican Senators and ask them NOT TO VOTE FOR HAALAND.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/17/21 02:51 AM

Sounds like Elizabeth "Pocohantas" Warren.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/17/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1

Sounds like Elizabeth "Pocohantas" Warren.

Mongrel?
grin
Posted By: rex123

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/17/21 03:25 AM

With her taking office she has stated she intends to follow Biden's plans and Trump's orders for drilling etc. will be reversed.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/17/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
In my situation on the Upper Mississippi River the Feds do not have the staff nor the money to manage populations in the resource. Even with trapping as it is, the Beaver are pretty much ruining the backwater areas.

Moosetrot

I wouldn't tell them that! That is not our story. Trapping manages stuff, no matter how pitiful prices get.

FYI There is this thing that the Park Service here practice and it is no managing. Things just go where nature takes them.

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/17/21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
With her taking office she has stated she intends to follow Biden's plans and Trump's orders for drilling etc. will be reversed.

True, going to eliminate drilling on federal land is the plan.

There's already articles about them denying permits for access to existing drilling permits. Another reason gas is going up.

Wait until they start closing the gates Zinke has been opening for hunting and trapping access, then maybe the outdoorsmen that voted for them will learn., but doubtful.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Deb Haaland approved to lead Dept. of Interior - 03/17/21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
The US Department of the Interior doesn't manage all Federal lands, but most of them. For some strange reason US Forest Service lands are managed by the US Department of Agriculture. US Corps of Engineers lands are US Army not Department of the Interior.

That's because of the timber. At least originally. Now many FS units are managed more for preservation/recreation ie designated wilderness, campgrounds, non motorized areas, etc etc. although still generally more entry allowed for grazing, mining etc. than DOI lands with the possible exception of BLM.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums