Home

Riding mower reviews and questions

Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 01:48 PM

I plan to buy a riding mower this spring for my lawn and was looking for some advise on what to get. The lawn is about a quarter acre, rectangular and just a few trees and out buildings, border fence and a couple trees to mow around. What type, size and brand of mower would you consider and why. Never had one but would rather do walking on the trap line.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 01:52 PM

We have Toro zero turn MX5000 I believe is the model number except for the cheap tires it’s been a great mower we plan to trade it in on another one this year or next.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 01:55 PM

Older Wheel Horse.
I'm buying another today.

Of the new ones, if you can learn all the ones made by MTD
and avoid those you will be money ahead.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:01 PM

Stay away from the big box stores as they provide ZERO support. I am back now to buying yard sale as I can work on my own. My last new to me mower was a John Deere 425 and the mower is still running but the deck has rotted away. It is at least 25 years old.

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:18 PM

TTT
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:23 PM

I would stay away from any tractor style mower and go with a zero turn mower, you can get the job done in half the time. Like always look for a place that has good service. JMO
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:35 PM

I have had an exmark for many years. no problems until last summer. still mows good but bought a new one in august. great mower.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:43 PM

Anyone know anything about older Cushman zero turns? There is a used one for sale at a small implement store near me. I've never seen one before.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:45 PM

Unless your time is incredibly limited, I would get a 42" standard mower. For a 1/4 acre, all a zero turn is going to do is cut your mowing time from 30 minutes with a standard mower to 15 minutes with the zero turn. I mow about 2 hours a week and find the time away from life's distractions relaxing.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 02:49 PM

Its a quarter acre? Any smaller zero turn should take you 15minutes tops. I wouldnt get too spun up about brands thats not much to mow. I used to push mow my yard that was 1/3 acre in an hour. Of course thats house and garage included on there.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 03:00 PM

A zero turn for 1/4 acre is really a waste of money and space to park the thing. Even a riding mower is questionable, but for that small of a yard I'd be looking at used mowers. Anything not wore out and falling apart will mow 1/4 acre.
Posted By: charles

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 03:04 PM

Ask to try in out. If it is not level, each lap will have a high and low border, and drive you crazy. Rollers on the deck help resolve this by allowing the deck to float.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 03:23 PM

Cub Cadet w/50" cut, zero turn. Bought it 12 years ago and still does a great job.

Another one that's a BEAR on grass and smaller brush is the :TANK" by the same manufacturer.

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 03:24 PM

Lots of good info and helped a lot also did some thinking some of the tractors have attachments like snow blades, tillers and thatcher's Im thinking more now towards tractor vs zero turn but will do some checking on prices.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 04:24 PM

Toro walk behind I got last year is great mower.
Fifty some years ago we had a small push toro, it mowed 4 acres every summer weekend for six years, failed to start only once, spark plug wore out.
The toro I believe is a real good product
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 05:10 PM

If you can find a Simplicity or Allis Chalmers lawn tractor made in the 70’s and 80’s in good shape it will last a long time. I have a 718 Allis and a 7117 Simplicity. Built like a tank. Bought my 718 in 1986. And can find attachments.
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 05:27 PM

Scag mowers

B
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 07:08 PM

A friend of mine pimped out his lawn tractor years ago.

He got an old AM/FM cassette radio from a car , mounted it under the seat. Put speakers on the sides of the seat mount. Rigged an ashtray with a magnetic mount on the hood. Put a 12V cigarette lighter on the dash. Mounted a small cooler behind the seat which held a bunch of beer and ice. Put a swivel can holder from a boat on the side of the hood within reach.

He told me sometimes it took 2 beers to do the lawn , sometimes 3 beers.......lol
Your mileage may vary laugh
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 07:40 PM

cub cadet 54 incher. its cut 1-2 acre for 12yrs and going strong.

when I replace it, it will be with a scag or hustler.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
I plan to buy a riding mower this spring for my lawn and was looking for some advise on what to get. The lawn is about a quarter acre, rectangular and just a few trees and out buildings, border fence and a couple trees to mow around. What type, size and brand of mower would you consider and why. Never had one but would rather do walking on the trap line.

My suggestion is to hire it done. You can likely get it mowed for $50 or less. By the time you figure the cost of a new mower, fuel and maintenance, and if your time is worth anything, you'll be money ahead to have it done for you. Many riding mowers are worn out before they even pay for themselves. At least ask around and see what people will charge.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 07:50 PM

I've owned a Toro MX4200 for three years and it works great. 42 inch is just right because of all the stuff my wife has planted in the yard. I think I paid around $2,400 for it.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 08:03 PM

I'd go with a tractor style over a 0turn with only a 1/4ac...esp if you have hills. My lawn is much larger and I have a 0turn. It his hilly and I can hold the hills 90-95% of the time. The other times, it creates some tire burn marks as I ride to the bottom.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters

My suggestion is to hire it done. You can likely get it mowed for $50 or less. By the time you figure the cost of a new mower, fuel and maintenance, and if your time is worth anything, you'll be money ahead to have it done for you. Many riding mowers are worn out before they even pay for themselves. At least ask around and see what people will charge.

Not even close to fact ,there are multiple mowers that are 20+ years old ,Don't buy big box find a reputable dealer ,Hustler ,grass hopper ,JD, dozens of mowers that are run with minimum cost 50 dollars a week makes a lot of payments and you still have equity when you finish . I dont know any mower that wont run 5years or more with a little maintenance

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/16/21 11:21 PM

Just looked at all the attachments for some of the mowers tillers, snow, snow plows thatcher's did not realize what a bunch of stuff they make after market and proprietorial stuff available getting more interesting

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/17/21 12:09 AM

Kubota makes a nice lawn tractor if you don’t want a zero turn and they offer attachments.

I have the 18hp diesel. Great little tractor.

B
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/17/21 12:50 AM

No offense, but spending $10k+ on a mower for 1/4 acre would be beyond foolish.

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/17/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

I wouldn’t say that. I don’t have much more than that but I use mine for the garden and switch to a snow blade in the winter time. I also take care of my neighbors driveways as well. Free deer bacon, crappie fillets and home made peanut rolls for payment. Work smarter not harder.

B
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/17/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

Dont have to spend even half that for a 1/4 acre
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/17/21 03:33 AM

I have a Husqvarna 48 inch cut probably mow a couple of acres, had it for 8 years. Paid less than 2 Gs gas and oil and a filter once in a while.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Riding mower reviews and questions - 03/17/21 04:01 AM

Get some goats, they zero turn also. laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums