Home

Open fracture

Posted By: Thumbian

Open fracture - 03/17/21 02:18 AM

I ruined a family vacation, turkey hunting with my girls and probably fair feeder steers. Had to jump from a scaffold plank about 8’ up and broke both bones. Tibia now has plate and 7 screws. Fibia is back under the skin with another surgery in a few weeks. I can handle pain but I don’t wish that pain on anyone. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 02:26 AM

Ouch.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 02:41 AM

That sucks! Seems the older we get the longer it takes to recover. Hope you heal quickly!
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 02:54 AM

That does suck. What was the circumstances that you had to jump, if you don’t mind sharing?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 02:58 AM

My parents would of said "that's what you get for being stupid, it's a long ways from your heart, and it'll feel a lot better when it quits hurting." lol I died once when I was 6 and dad just made me walk it off.

Hoping you heal up fast.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 03:46 AM

My family would have said somethin similar but here is the way I look at it Tumbian. Just be glad you landed on yer feet instead of yer head. I'm bettin your family is.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 04:03 AM

Hurts just looking at it get well.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 04:03 AM

Mega ouch.

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 04:34 AM

Ooof!! 8 feet doesn’t even seem that high. Oh by the way, is that sunset orange nail polish on your toes?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 05:18 AM

Ouch. Praying for a quick recovery.

Jurassic Park, it looks like a Salmon Pink to me lol
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 06:04 AM

laugh
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Ooof!! 8 feet doesn’t even seem that high. Oh by the way, is that sunset orange nail polish on your toes?

Any person with a little bit of class can plainly tell that the color of those toe nails, is frosty peach blossom.
Looks like you gonna be laid up for a bit. If you have any pain pills left over, let me know.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 09:19 AM

Yowza!! I grabbed my leg when I saw the picture, hope you heal up soon. By the way betcha can find a way to go turkey hunting. At least work shouldn't get in your way. Anybody with any sense would know that nail polish is iodine orange CoverGirl
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:07 PM

Time for a few of you to turn in your man cards for talking about nail polish colors on a trapping forum, LOL........
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:15 PM

Yeah any pics of when it happened. Or were you in too much pain to take a pic lol
Hope it all heals well for you.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:17 PM

Nice color too.....
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:19 PM

Son of a..................! Stop that this instant!

Take it slow and heal up, Thumbian.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
Time for a few of you to turn in your man cards for talking about nail polish colors on a trapping forum, LOL........

That was kinda what I was thinking too.

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:36 PM

OKForester: I had a plank spanning from my tractor forks to the top of little giant ladder. Somehow the plank moved and ended up on top of the hinge. About 4” above the step. I realized this when I walked back out on it and felt it tipping. Tried to turn around quick but I was going over. Happened so quick I must not have got my feet lined up.

Heard the snap and felt instant pain. Yes, could have been worse and it is a long way from the heart. Character building event!

Toe nail polish? That is great! I can confirm it is Covergirl Iodine Bruise.

Two lines, gotta admit I did not even think about touching the bone. Didn’t want to scream like a little girl.... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:40 PM

sick
Posted By: k snow

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:43 PM

Well, there goes my appetite for the day.

Hope you heal up fast.
Posted By: 653

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:50 PM

DANG!!!! that foot even makes me winch! prayers for quick healing for sure! they did a great job stitchin ya up tho smile

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 01:56 PM

Thanks for prayers.

Sorry about ruining your appetite k snow....
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 02:00 PM

Sorry I would have screamed!

You do what those doctors tell you. Prayers sent your way for a steady recovery.

B
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 03:01 PM

Just keep saying to yourself: "PAIN IS MY FRIEND. EMBRACE THE PAIN"

and don't go taking any pain pills. Real Trappers ignore pain !! laugh
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 03:12 PM

Nail polish and now shaves legs. Hope you heal up man, that doesn't look like any fun.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 03:24 PM

All my nails where that color when i woke up from hip replacment surgery the other day . Seems they iodined my whole body . I hope your recovery goes as smooth as mine is going so far
Posted By: keets

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 04:52 PM

you're weather forecasting skills will be greater grin
Posted By: Miley

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 04:58 PM

Rub a little dirt on it and get back out there and smoke a gobbler! Lol Heal up quick brother!
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 05:27 PM

Now that looks like it's gonna leave a mark. Don't worry though, if you go to a little darker colored pantyhose it will blend it right in. All joking aside, heal up quick and keep any infection out of it.
Posted By: charles

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 05:43 PM

Friend of mine had a fracture from jumping off a 16’ ladder of a deer stand. When he opened the door to the stand, angry wasps attacked him. He drove his ankle socket through one of the leg bones, splitting the bone lengthwise and shoving cartilage into the split. Surgeon called it a pylon fracture. Said he studied them in med school but had never seen one. Required surgery to remove cartilage from the split, and screw things back in their proper place. One of the incisions was through the bottom of his foot.

He was about age 40. Recovered fully in no time at all.

Yours looks worse. I wrapped his ankle in a towel with six ice cold cans of beer to hold down the swelling. ER doctor was impressed when the towel was removed. Beer was still good.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 05:58 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know that pain all to well. Although you got me beat with the open fracture part.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 06:23 PM

Man I hate that it happened...especially missing turkey season. I do all my “stupid” stuff starting in June. I’ll miss Summer before any of the other seasons!! Hope you heal fast. Goes without saying, but take it easy and follow docs orders!!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BBarnes

You do what those doctors tell you. Prayers sent your way for a steady recovery.

B

I would have screamed and need a change of underwear!

Prayers for a quick recovery.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 07:12 PM

A board between tractor forks and a junk ladder 8' off the deck. What could possibly go wrong ??
At least OSHA wasn't involved.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 08:20 PM

Now that's some nice hardware...
Maybe you'll feel like turkey hunting.before it goes.out...hope so...
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Open fracture - 03/17/21 08:34 PM

Looks like they screwed some nice hardware to ya any how.You should either have the wife get that nail polish off yer toes,,or at least tell everyone its blood that they couldn't get off. grin
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 12:36 AM

Sad part is the pain will never be over. Every time the weather changes you’ll be reminded of that day.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BBarnes

B

x2
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 12:56 AM

Dang it man!!!
Do you need to borrow my pig Castrater?
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 01:01 AM

Could have been worse, it can easily be lights out if you land wrong from 8 ft. Best wishes for a speedy full recovery.
Posted By: otter3006

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 08:17 AM

In a good way thanks for sharing the bad,when I get on that ladder or wherever tomorrow .I will be thinking of your pain and avoid ..get well and go hunting
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 08:52 AM

praying for a good fast heal.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by keets
you're weather forecasting skills will be greater grin

grin

Get well soon

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 02:03 PM

Must be some truth to weather forecasting as a bunch folks are saying the same. Great...I can add the weather lady to all the other TV folks I disagree with!
Posted By: wadask

Re: Open fracture - 03/18/21 03:06 PM

Thats a very nice quality external fixature, compared to the cage style. Food for thought cause its next the talocrural joint you want to think about removing the plates and screws in the near future 6 months minimum most surgeons like to wait a year but than again its not thier foot, it will feel and move much better. Mention it to your physical therapist.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums