Home

Let’s talk booby traps

Posted By: Hanger

Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 10:20 PM

So a family member lives not in a neighborhood but in a rural area with neighboring homes that back up to woods. She and her brother caught someone looking at them. She lives alone “sometimes with a girlfriend” that frequently use the hot tub and pool so we are thinking peeping Tom. I’ve told the brother about game cameras and trip wires that make noise. But what other things could they do besides setting a 330 or a duke #15 in the ground.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 10:22 PM

SSS wink
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 10:23 PM

Right or wrong, booby traps sound like a sure fire law suit waiting to happen.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 10:25 PM

Decide to target practice at odd hours. Tends to keep people away.
Posted By: cmj

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 10:55 PM

motion lights and game cams linked to her cell phone
Posted By: Boco

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 10:58 PM

A dog.
Posted By: magsdad

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 11:00 PM

Like boco said get a big dog
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 11:03 PM

Get them paint grenades.
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 11:04 PM

Trip wire net guns [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 11:04 PM

Or a dog

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 11:07 PM

2 hotties in a hot tub they might catch me I’ll need to be more careful thanks for the warning. LOL [sarcasm, J/K, joke, not even serious, see my lawyer for more details.]
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/17/21 11:40 PM

big dog
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:15 AM

Lots of fun options. Make a trip wire to set off fire crackers, air horn, or old camera flash.

But getting some cameras off Amazon that send pics to a phone will not only give you real time info and allow time to prepare or call the cops but will also lower insurance costs.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:18 AM

Dog for sure, doesn't even have to be all that big. Anything in the 40-60 lb range is plenty big. Not that the game camera and other surveillance measures are a bad idea, but the dog will put a stop to it.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:18 AM

"Caught" as in knows who it is? Should be calling the cops.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:33 AM

Side Slinger Manure Spreader grin
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:39 AM

Do you have access to bamboo?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:42 AM

Dog , cameras, both good ideas however, have you considered habitat modification as well ?

Cutting brush/treeline back , planting spiny/uncomfortable/dense foliage, installing fencing/privacy walls , installing no trespassing signs (helps big time when law enforcement is involved) or other modifications.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:44 AM

First of all notify law enforcement, you never know what kind of crazy people are! A dog is a good idea, driveway alarms can be useful, trail cameras, etc! Hopefully they’ve got a good shotgun to.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:45 AM

solar motion lights

game camera

trip wire on a siren and light

you should avoid the kind of things that hurt people , cause even if it is the 12 year old neighbor peeping , if he gets hurt , he was just out playing or adding to his bug collection

game camera is probably the best idea
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 12:58 AM

Privacy fence?
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 01:03 AM

Cell cam and a 30-06
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 01:15 AM

Had multiple run-ins with a peeping tom. Pulled a knife on him the first time and he took off running to his car, but he was too old to outrun me. I got pictures of him and his vehicle/plates. I called the cops and they said they couldn't do anything without catching him themselves. I guess the police felt bad for us, because after the 3rd encounter they gave me his personal info.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

grin
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 02:44 AM

I recently picked up some solar motion detector lights from Amazon. When it is dark, they stay on but dim until motion is detected, then they get very bright. I am very happy with them and they were les than $20 each. I tested one out in front and since then have purchased several more that will be placed all around our house.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 02:49 AM

Trip wire connected to a claymore should do the job. There should be a warning on which way to point toward the enemy. I had an instance with a trespasser and called the law. First question they asked was if my property line was posted. It is now.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:07 AM

Landscaping can be a big help. Rose bushes(thorns), poison ivy, poison oak and such can make life miserable for the (this word is unacceptable on trapperman.com) and all is well within the law so they can't come back at you.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by keystone
First of all notify law enforcement, you never know what kind of crazy people are! A dog is a good idea, driveway alarms can be useful, trail cameras, etc! Hopefully they’ve got a good shotgun to.

This!

Extended range driveway alarms placed at pinch points and at travel corridors are really helpful. An early warning gives you options.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:17 AM

Plant Barberry Bushes.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:18 AM

A big protective dog, like a Kangal, will stop a peeping tom and a lot of other problems.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Kangal, Thor.
[Linked Image]
I need to take some new pictures. Thor is a lot bigger now. Thor is 6'6" on his back legs and around 240 pounds.
Keith
Posted By: tjm

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:19 AM

is concertina wire "habitat modification?

Perimeter marking and/or fencing are first priority. If there is no fence, he/she is just walking around and lost.
Booby traps will put you at fault, possibly in jail.
In some places a bad dog puts the liability on you.
cell phone operated cameras might be the best safest option
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:59 AM

If they or it is coming to such a designated spot you think you could set a 330 there are several camera, motion light options etc. that could work much better than a trap. The one bad thing about motion lights is you may have lots of activity that will set them off. Trail cam with video that can be shown to law enforcement would a good choice in my opinion.

Bryce
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 04:09 AM

Cover the bushes they hide in with some type of long call lure like skunky backbreaker

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 04:16 AM

Man traps will get sued or locked up pretty quick a slick lawyer can make the guy a victim real easy and you the bad guy!
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 04:48 AM

locust trees --- worked on the neighbor kids with there motorcycles.
Posted By: iowayote

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 08:03 AM

Red Rider BB gun. Stings
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 08:15 AM

Privacy fence.

Or if your worried about someone watching your sister and her “girlfriend” in a hot tub, tell them to stop using it until they get a privacy fence.

If the property that the person is watching from is not hers, there is not much that can be done.
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 09:29 AM

Last thing you want to do is set a trap where the person gets hurt. I read an article once where a man was tired of repeatedly having his home broken into. He sets a boobytrap, thief gets hurt and sues the homeowner.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
A big protective dog, like a Kangal, will stop a peeping tom and a lot of other problems.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My Kangal, Thor.
[Linked Image]
I need to take some new pictures. Thor is a lot bigger now. Thor is 6'6" on his back legs and around 240 pounds.
Keith

Dog that size at least trespassers will sink to their ankle in dog crap when they step in it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 11:00 AM

Cactus patches and obviously Thor^^^^^^^
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I recently picked up some solar motion detector lights from Amazon. When it is dark, they stay on but dim until motion is detected, then they get very bright. I am very happy with them and they were les than $20 each. I tested one out in front and since then have purchased several more that will be placed all around our house.

Moosetrot

This and notify the Law
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

grin

I know an old Vietnam who did that, and got a feller trespassing cooking meth deep in his woods. He survived, but learned a lesson
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 01:34 PM

I'm no expert, but I bet booby trapping is all about location just like regular trapping. Sounds like the hot tub might be the best spot for a booby trap smile
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/18/21 03:19 PM

Lol bvrRetriever they’re fun . They have about 4 dogs but they’re in and out of the house. Will set up some cameras and see what happens, thanks guys.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/19/21 07:58 PM

Plant lots of poison ivy.

Then again, poison ivy doesn't affect some people including me.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/20/21 12:07 AM

Hanger I want to see some picture of the attraction in the hot tube before we go any further with this thread.
no picture- no proof
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/20/21 01:03 AM

GPS coordinate please. grin
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/20/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Good plan, overhead views of booby's are always a nice view.
Posted By: Netman

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/20/21 01:44 AM

They make claymores with paint balls. As a LEO I suggested people to use them when having trouble with peeping toms. After the claymore would go off I would go to a suspected suspects house and if he was wiping paint off we got the paperwork out.
Very effective.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Let’s talk booby traps - 03/20/21 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

whistle
© 2024 Trapperman Forums